Friday, February 24th 2017

NVIDIA Stock Tumbles Amidst Analyst Talk of Gaming's Decline

NVIDIA Corp. stock fell a record 10% in one day amidst a move to bearish ratings by two prominent Wall Street stock analysts.

Analysts Romit Shah and Ambrish Srivastava both downgraded NVIDIA's stock rating (from "buy" to "reduce" and "perform" to "underperform" respectively) citing concerns over "valuation and a tempered outlook for gaming."
It is worth noting that NVIDIA stock has tripled in value over the last year, so this may represent a return to reality more than a harbinger of doom for the company's outlook. Regardless, it is the biggest drop in NVIDIA's daily stock price since it went public in 1999, and to see its status downgraded due to "a tempered outlook for gaming" is not the kind of reason gaming enthusiasts like to hear.Source: Marketwatch
Add your own comment

97 Comments on NVIDIA Stock Tumbles Amidst Analyst Talk of Gaming's Decline

#1
TheGuruStud
LOL.

And alcohol sales will drop, too.
Posted on Reply
#2
m1dg3t
R-T-B said:
Nvidia Corp. stock fell a record 10% in one day amidst a move to bearish ratings by two prominent Wall Street stock analysts.

Analyst Romit Shah and Ambrish Srivastava both downgraded NVIDIA's stock rating (from "buy" to "reduce" and "perform" to "underperform" respectively) citing concerns over "valuation and a tempered outlook for gaming."


[---]

It is worth noting that NVIDIA stock has tripled in value over the last year, so this may represent a return to reality more than a harbinger of doom for the company's outlook. Regardless, it is the biggest drop in NVIDIA's daily stock price since it went public in 1999, and to see its status downgraded due to "a tempered outlook for gaming" is not the kind of reason gaming enthusiasts like to hear.

Source: Marketwatch
That's what they get for promoting their ecoshitstem, it will only go back to where it was anyways but downward is the trend. I think.
Posted on Reply
#3
R-T-B
TheGuruStud said:
And alcohol sales will drop, too.
Never. Otherwise how can you get drunk enough to kill your buddy over your GPU preferences?
Posted on Reply
#4
Sihastru
A tiny bit of hope is all it takes to turn one into a monster. How will one know when one will get one's next chance? How does one take one's self-proclaimed sweet revenge? The hammering must continue. Everything is an illusion.
Posted on Reply
#5
the54thvoid
R-T-B said:
citing concerns over "valuation and a tempered outlook for gaming."
Say the fuck what? A couple of shysters essentially play the market to reduce Nvidia stock price to buy stocks themselves before they release a 1080ti that will probably help stock price again. This is why the share markets and share 'values' are just plain evil. Creating wealth out of nothing and destroying value by rumour. It's absolutely insane.

Have they even read this stuff:

http://jonpeddie.com/publications/pc_gaming_hardware_market_report
Posted on Reply
#6
ensabrenoir
........Jiminy crickets.....can you say .... Sabotage Bat-man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Reply
#7
R-T-B
the54thvoid said:
Say the fuck what? A couple of shysters essentially play the market to reduce Nvidia stock price to buy stocks themselves before they release a 1080ti that will probably help stock price again. This is why the share markets and share 'values' are just plain evil. Creating wealth out of nothing and destroying value by rumour. It's absolutely insane.

Have they even read this stuff:

http://jonpeddie.com/publications/pc_gaming_hardware_market_report
Pretty much how I feel, but I left my opinion at the door on the main article. The stock market is absolutely victim to public perception more than reality.
Posted on Reply
#8
Nordic
The following could apply to any year.
Q1, "PC Gaming is Dead"
Q2, "Record Revenues in PC gaming"
Q3, "PC Gaming is Dead"
Q4, "PC Gaming Market Keeps Growing"
....
Posted on Reply
#9
Evo85
Analyst=Unqualified to flip a burger.
Posted on Reply
#10
microsista
people are sick of nvidia milking them with these insane prices, and are waiting for an alternative (amd vega in may)
Posted on Reply
#11
ensabrenoir
microsista said:
people are sick of nvidia milking them with these insane prices, and are waiting for an alternative (amd vega in may)
.......o_O
Posted on Reply
#12
FordGT90Concept
"I go fast!1!11!1!"
This is because Intel isn't going to be paying NVIDIA $1.5 billion per year anymore in licensing fees. They're going to struggle to balance their books over the next year to make up for that.
Posted on Reply
#13
Liviu Cojocaru
FordGT90Concept said:
This is because Intel isn't going to be paying NVIDIA $1.5 billion per year anymore in licensing fees. They're going to struggle to balance their books over the next year to make up for that.
I agree but will that money go to AMD now?
Posted on Reply
#14
Dimi
microsista said:
people are sick of nvidia milking them with these insane prices, and are waiting for an alternative (amd vega in may)
What insane prices are you talking about? If you're old enough you know these prices are cheaper than they used to be to buy high end hardware.
Posted on Reply
#15
m1dg3t
the54thvoid said:
Say the fuck what? A couple of shysters essentially play the market to reduce Nvidia stock price to buy stocks themselves before they release a 1080ti that will probably help stock price again. This is why the share markets and share 'values' are just plain evil. Creating wealth out of nothing and destroying value by rumour. It's absolutely insane.

Have they even read this stuff:

http://jonpeddie.com/publications/pc_gaming_hardware_market_report
You can try and shift 'blame' all you want. The market is responding to nVidias bullshit prices and 'ecosystem'. Jen hsun huang/nVidia is the Kim jong un/North Korea of the tech world.
Posted on Reply
#16
m1dg3t
Dimi said:
What insane prices are you talking about? If you're old enough you know these prices are cheaper than they used to be to buy high end hardware.
What are you smoking? I never saw a GFX card over $800CAD untill nVidia made it so. Now it's normal??? WTF
Posted on Reply
#17
FordGT90Concept
"I go fast!1!11!1!"
Liviu Cojocaru said:
I agree but will that money go to AMD now?
Some because rumors say Intel will be buying AMD chips but the total amount of money transferred to AMD instead of NVIDIA will be far less than what NVIDIA was getting.


Intel can keep using NVIDIA patents in perpetuity but they won't receive any more updates. In other words, Intel is stuck with D3D12 and Vulkan for their own chips. If they want anything newer, they'll have to either buy a new license or buy and MCM chips.
Posted on Reply
#18
Xaled
She deserves this. if PC gaming dies one day it will be because of Nvidia and Intel's greed. people have to pay 2000$ to get best cpu+ gpu alone. and after that they dont want to spend much more money on games because the greedy Intel and Nvidia milked all what they got. and many people (like me with my i5 2500k and 680) refuse to upgrade because per/dol never decreased since years.
Posted on Reply
#19
Dimi
m1dg3t said:
What are you smoking? I never saw a GFX card over $800CAD untill nVidia made it so. Now it's normal??? WTF
The Titan cards were never really for the average user really. Thats like being mad at Audi because you can only afford an A4 while they also make an R8 lol.
Posted on Reply
#20
Liviu Cojocaru
FordGT90Concept said:
Some because rumors say Intel will be buying AMD chips but the total amount of money transferred to AMD instead of NVIDIA will be far less than what NVIDIA was getting.
Yep, probably AMD agreed to at least 30% less than what Nvidia was getting
Posted on Reply
#21
the54thvoid
m1dg3t said:
You can try and shift 'blame' all you want. The market is responding to nVidias bullshit prices and 'ecosystem'. Jen hsun huang/nVidia is the Kim jong un/North Korea of the tech world.
1) The market responded to Nvidia's pricing by having it's share price soar.
2) The pricing of Nvidia products is because it has no competition, ergo, it can monopolise the high end.
3) Increased ASP of cards resulted in massive revenues for Nvidia.
4) The market responds to said revenue call by having share prices soar higher.
5) A couple of Anal-ists say something negative and prices fall back.

You can stick your head in the sand as much as you want but markets fucking love Nvidia. They react only to profit and rumour. Nvidia have both in abundance.
Posted on Reply
#22
m1dg3t
Dimi said:
The Titan cards were never really for the average user really. Thats like being mad at Audi because you can only afford an A4 while they also make an R8 lol.
LoL is people like you trying to make it seem as if people like me can't afford these things. You keep bending over, Intel & nVidia will keep feeding it to you.

Just so you know, I could buy both A4 & A8. At the same time. How does that change anything? Some peoples children.
Posted on Reply
#23
Xaled
Dimi said:
The Titan cards were never really for the average user really. Thats like being mad at Audi because you can only afford an A4 while they also make an R8 lol.
bad example. it is like this:

you should not sell a R4 for a R8's price

edit:
the pc market never had an r8 because Titan is not evet capable of 4k at min60 fps.notlr 2k at 120hz. not to mention that 120hz 4k are coming.
Posted on Reply
#25
Xaled
the54thvoid said:
As for historical prices - inflation adjusted from a Reddit post:

http://i.imgur.com/SE3TNqZ.png


well this alone can expalin why pc gaming is going to die
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment