Wednesday, April 26th 2017

Kaspersky Backs Away From Threat of Antitrust Lawsuit against Microsoft / Win10

Russian-based Kaspersky Labs is backing away from its earlier threat of an antitrust case filing with the European Commission, instead opting for a "wait and see" approach with regards to its complaints with Microsoft over Windows 10 and its included security software "Windows Defender."

Kaspersky Labs has been threatening to press an antitrust action since November 2016, when in a November blog post titled "That's it. I've had enough!" Chief Executive Eugene Kaspersky complained that Microsoft did not give developers ample time to prepare for a new Windows release, and was using their "compatibility checker" tool to effectively remove competing software in favor of Windows Defender.

This new stance of working with Microsoft rather than taking them to court appears to be prompted by recent Microsoft software changes favoring interoperability with third party apps, perhaps some of them seen in the recently released "Creators Update." I can only speculate there as a news reporter however, as sadly Kaspersky did not elaborate on his exact requests or what changes Microsoft had made. He did say that "They are listening to us and they made a few changes. It's an ongoing process," and that regarding the lawsuit "Of course if Microsoft agrees to all our requests we will not file it," indicating they are not necessarily certain of their course at this time, and will be actively working with Microsoft before making a decision.

Things look very different however if you look eastward, to the Russian Federation, home of Kaspersky Labs and a very active antitrust case against Microsoft over this very same issue. If one were to speculate, one may conclude they are waiting to see if they can win the "home game" before moving on to the less-friendly EU, but that is only speculation on my part, and certainly not the official story from Kaspersky at this moment. Take that bit with your usual grain of salt. Source: reuters.com
Add your own comment

8 Comments on Kaspersky Backs Away From Threat of Antitrust Lawsuit against Microsoft / Win10

#2
R-T-B
Ferrum Master said:
Well... screw them all really.



There's the other side of it of course:



Then again, I love Richard Stallman, even if he's an eccentric nut.
Posted on Reply
#3
Ferrum Master
Still. I don't get the idea of paid AV's fixing a paid product that shoud be secure and do the job in the first place.

Also. I don't trust Kaspersky either.
Posted on Reply
#4
R-T-B
Ferrum Master said:
Still. I don't get the idea of paid AV's fixing a paid product that shoud be secure and do the job in the first place.

Also. I don't trust Kaspersky either.
I'm with you there, especially regarding Kaspersky, but I didn't really go into this in the interest of journalistic neutrality.
Posted on Reply
#5
Ubersonic
All these crybaby companies need to realise it's not 1992 anymore. Things like web browsers, media players, antivirus/antispyware, etc have been integral parts of an O/S for years. Asking Microsoft not to include them just so you have a better chance of selling or giving people yours is just dumb and counterproductive.

This is like Sony complaining that the can't sell people CD players for their car as they all come with them or better now!
Posted on Reply
#6
Frick
Fishfaced Nincompoop
Ubersonic said:
All these crybaby companies need to realise it's not 1992 anymore. Things like web browsers, media players, antivirus/antispyware, etc have been integral parts of an O/S for years. Asking Microsoft not to include them just so you have a better chance of selling or giving people yours is just dumb and counterproductive.

This is like Sony complaining that the can't sell people CD players for their car as they all come with them or better now!
The way read it it is about how MS handled it, not that they bundle it as such.
Posted on Reply
#7
TheMailMan78
Big Member
R-T-B said:
I'm with you there, especially regarding Kaspersky, but I didn't really go into this in the interest of journalistic neutrality.
Proud of you on that R-T-B. Stay neutral and just report the facts. That's a proper reporter.
Posted on Reply
#8
R-T-B
TheMailMan78 said:
Proud of you on that R-T-B. Stay neutral and just report the facts. That's a proper reporter.
Thanks E.T.
Posted on Reply