Tuesday, August 1st 2017

Developers on the Move: NVIDIA Partners Working on External GPU Solutions

At SIGGRAPH 2017, NVIDIA announced it is working with a number of partners towards the development of external graphics enclosures that can power - and increase mobility - of their professional-geared GPU solutions. Namely, NVIDIA has announced external GPU solutions featuring the powerful Titan Xp and Quadro graphics cards. These external GPU solutions are meant to upgrade the capability of notebooks to support new workflows such as video editing, interactive rendering, VR content creation, AI development and more. Such has been enabled by the latest, high-bandwidth Thunderbolt 3 protocol. For the Quadro eGPU program specifically, Nvidia is working with established manufacturers like Sonnet, Magma, Akiti, and Bizon. The company says there are more to come.

Pricing information has not been revealed for now, but Titan Xp can already be ordered, while the Quadro solutions will see availability in a few weeks.

Sources: NextPowerUp, Tom's Hardware
Add your own comment

12 Comments on Developers on the Move: NVIDIA Partners Working on External GPU Solutions

#1
Fluffmeister
I guess that explains why Titan Xp got a bit of extra love, much to the horror of people that don't own one.
Posted on Reply
#2
TheinsanegamerN
Fluffmeister said:
I guess that explains why Titan Xp got a bit of extra love, much to the horror of people that don't own one.
The salt over there was real. So many complaining about a FREE update, and then saying that it was perfectly OK when AMD does it.

Just lul. Kinda makes me want to get a titan Xp and watercool it....
Posted on Reply
#3
ironcerealbox
TheinsanegamerN said:
The salt over there was real. So many complaining about a FREE update, and then saying that it was perfectly OK when AMD does it.

Just lul. Kinda makes me want to get a titan Xp and watercool it....
Or two...and custom water-cooled...

Insider buddies of mine persuaded me to pick up a couple of the Xp cards knowing what was going to happen ahead of time. ;P
Posted on Reply
#4
Air
Thats a damn fine looking enclosure. Outside of razer, pretty much all eGPU cases looks terrible.
Posted on Reply
#6
Camm
TheinsanegamerN said:
The salt over there was real. So many complaining about a FREE update, and then saying that it was perfectly OK when AMD does it.

Just lul. Kinda makes me want to get a titan Xp and watercool it....
Oh give me a break. People roasted Nvidia for it because it was artificially limited in the first place, and only unlocked because of pressure from AMD. Now we could drag this down to lowest common denominator (Ti's and Vega 64's - even then, AMD has never gimped FP in its mainline cards), but in that market segment, Nvidia had turned their Titan's from 'I can't afford a Quadro' workstation cards to 'early access gaming gpu's.
Posted on Reply
#7
jabbadap
Camm said:
Oh give me a break. People roasted Nvidia for it because it was artificially limited in the first place, and only unlocked because of pressure from AMD. Now we could drag this down to lowest common denominator (Ti's and Vega 64's - even then, AMD has never gimped FP in its mainline cards), but in that market segment, Nvidia had turned their Titan's from 'I can't afford a Quadro' workstation cards to 'early access gaming gpu's.
AMD has never gimped FP in its mainline cards... Ahem how about R9 290x vs Firepro s9150.
Posted on Reply
#8
john_
So, are those external graphic cases only for Titan Xp and Quadro? Not for Geforce 1080 Ti for example because "we are already selling too many hi end gaming cards to gaming laptop manufacturers and we don't want to upset them".
Posted on Reply
#9
cryohellinc
This is amazing news.

Perhaps finally will come a day that I will be able to purchase a very nice sleek stylish laptop, with a nice processor and integrated GPU. While on a side get this portable GPU option.

Sounds amazing, can't wait.
Posted on Reply
#10
jabbadap
I'm just thinking they are mainly targeting mac users with these things...
Posted on Reply
#11
Prima.Vera
Thunderbolt 3 still doesn't have enough bandwidth to handle full power a Titan or a Quadro, common. The best card to match the Thunderbolt 3 bandwidth is an GTX 1050 or maximum an GTX 1060....
Again Marketing at it's finest.
Posted on Reply
#12
jabbadap
Prima.Vera said:
Thunderbolt 3 still doesn't have enough bandwidth to handle full power a Titan or a Quadro, common. The best card to match the Thunderbolt 3 bandwidth is an GTX 1050 or maximum an GTX 1060....
Again Marketing at it's finest.
You mean gaming side of thing, or? I don't think they are even targeting for gamers with these Titan Xps and quadro P6000 eGPUs.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment