Friday, October 13th 2017

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Overclocking to be Restricted

NVIDIA could severely limit the overclocking capabilities of its upcoming "almost GTX 1080" performance-segment graphics card, the GeForce GTX 1070 Ti. The company will tightly control the non-reference clock-speeds at which its add-in card (AIC) partners ship their custom-design graphics cards; and there could even be tighter limits to which you can overclock these cards. NVIDIA is probably doing this to ensure it doesn't completely cannibalize its GeForce GTX 1080 graphics card, which has been recently refreshed with faster 11 Gbps GDDR5X memory.

The GTX 1070 Ti is based on a "GP104" Pascal silicon with a core-configuration that's vastly higher than the current GTX 1070, and too close to that of the GTX 1080. It features 2,432 CUDA cores, just 128 fewer than the GTX 1080, and core clock speed of 1608 MHz that's on-par with the pricier card, too. The GPU Boost frequency is set to 1683 MHz, which is lower than the 1733 MHz of the GTX 1080. It also features slower GDDR5 memory. The GTX 1070 Ti is expected to launch by the 26th of October, priced at $429.

Sources: eTeknix, Expreview, VideoCardz

79 Comments on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Overclocking to be Restricted

R-T-B
Durvelle27 said:
Never know

Anything is possible
Possible? Yes. But as evidenced by pascal, it's very unlikely.
mouacyk
Thank goodness for XOC BIOS on 1080 and 1080 Ti. NVidia is swinging the hammer now. If they lock down all models for this new SKU, no custom BIOS will ever emerge.
Vya Domus
Durvelle27 said:
Never know

Anything is possible
Nvidia giving you more out of the goodness of their heart ? Nah.
GreiverBlade
429$? that's a whole 100$ less than my own GTX 1070 O.o

urk? maybe i can dream of a cheap 2nd 1070 for my 1440p upgrade .... (why no 4k? because if the game i play barely hit 60fps with all on max in 1080p ... i probably need a second 1070 for 1440p... if SLI scales well .... that is :roll: )
Power Slave
I guess you can’t OC 1080’s that didn’t make the cut or it’s thier way of keeping the 1080 from becoming obsolete. Either way it’s another under handed restriction to add to thier greenworks initiative so they can squeeze what they can even if it means pissing off thier most enthusiast customers. Lame. The GPU monopoly stinks.

Remember when you could OC at your own risk? Boycott them and see how quick they change thier policies.
Totally
Vario said:
Yep exactly.

Yeah so make it a 1070 and sell it for less.
But that would be such an unNvidia-like thing to do.
eidairaman1
The Exiled Airman
the54thvoid said:
Click bait.

Two stories with different sources being relayed by a 3rd party and repeated on TPU.

One source says manual OC is possible, the other says no. Meanwhile, Afterburner is prepped for the 1070ti or was I imagining that?
Are the 1070/ti's based upon the same silicon as the 1080/ti anyway?
Totally
eidairaman1 said:
Are the 1070/ti's based upon the same silicon as the 1080/ti anyway?
1080ti is a different chip entirely(GP102). 1070 is a cut down 1080(both GP104), 1070ti (GP104) is also going to be a cut down chip but not as pared down as a standard 1070.
lexluthermiester
Nvidia, knock it the eff off! These kinds of things are very bad form and seriously low class. Once a user makes a purchase, that hardware and the firmware installed on it are open for custom configuration/modification. Quit trying to control every little thing.
I No
lexluthermiester said:
Wrong, an entity that sells a product to the public has the right release it as it sees fit. There is nothing that can stop NVIDIA, AMD or Intel for that matter to sell locked products, hardware and firmware are proprietary to the party that puts them out on the market. It's their right if they want to sandbox the environment or not. They can control every little thing if they want to, your options would be to buy or not to buy the product, everything else is far-fetched.
P4-630
The Way It's Meant to be Played
btarunr said:
priced at $429.
Around 550 Euros in my country I guess....:shadedshu:
lexluthermiester
I No said:
That is absolutely wrong from a moral, ethical and legal standpoint. Yes, they can RELEASE a product the way they wish. But ultimately they can not stop modification of such. But as you suggested, they also can not control consumer choice. We can criticize and vote with our wallets. I choose to criticize. Instead of siding with them and effectively validating their erroneous behavior, you could join in and voice an objection.
trog100
the $429 price aint gonna happen thats for sure.. he he

trog
Th3pwn3r
trog100 said:
the $429 price aint gonna happen thats for sure.. he he

trog
Even if it does...people are better off saving money and getting a 1080 used for $500 in my opinion.
I No
lexluthermiester said:
Business and morality can't be quite in the same ball-park. Is it a deviation from what they enforced on us till now?(cuz even if we like to admit it or not this is a change from their normal behavior and resistance to change is regular for us humans) Yes. Is it moral? This is somehow double-edged, they aren't doing anything illegal so that's a No, ethical? Maybe maybe not.
Sadly none of us is in the position to pick sides. Let's do a little bit of theory crafting here shall we. Let's just say that they were selling us locked products since day one, would this discussion still be a thing? No, because the market has been shaped up with that mentality. Thing is the market is not static it will change sooner or later be it good or bad, that's how things are.
Bottom line is business and ethics don't mix. You either run a business or a charity. The good thing is that this is a very good lesson in how to turn waste into money.
Let me ask you how would you pull this off while being ethical yet trying to maximize your profit considering you have a backyard full of chips that can't be either 1070 or 1080 while taking into consideration the fact that using these chips might impact your higher tier sales.
ppn
trog100 said:
the $429 price aint gonna happen thats for sure.. he he

trog
It will be priced slightly above 1070 now 399$. Even cheaper in some places because 1070 is stuck to post mining craze prices. Mining is unprofitable at this point. Difficulty about to rise to double that of 4 months ago. There are plenty of 1060/70/80 on the market and the prices are normal.

At this point is only worth saving for Volta or the next big optical shrink to 10 or 7 nm because 12nm is not much of an improvement yet it could still bring 40% more cores in each class compared to Pascal at lower prices, for example GTX 2080 with 3584 cores and 256 bit memory running at 14 Gbps would perform much like 1080 Ti smaller die.
lexluthermiester
I No said:
Business and morality can't be quite in the same ball-park.
That's kind of my point. Just because they can, and it might be good business, doesn't mean that they should. Business needs to be taught, by reasonable means, that these kinds of things are not acceptable.
I No said:
Sadly none of us is in the position to pick sides.
I disagree fully. We are entirely in the perfect position to pick sides!
I No said:
You either run a business or a charity.
That's an extreme and very poor comparison.
I No said:
This is an excellent perspective. The line not crossed is this; Greed. Making a great product and expecting to be successful with it is the ambition of everyone who creates. There is nothing wrong with success. But when someone crosses the line between aspirations & ambitions and penny-pinching greed, things like this and Microsoft's Windows 10 happen. Nvidia has crossed a line. And if we the public do not put them back over it, who will?
Th3pwn3r
lexluthermiester said:

I disagree fully. We are entirely in the perfect position to pick sides!

That's an extreme and very poor comparison.

I'm not arguing but what do you think they should do with cards that are too weak to be 1080s but too powerful to be 1070s? Should they just sell them at the 1070 prices on a first come, first serve basis, while calling them 1070s? I really don't know. Either way, no matter what Nvidia does I think people will be upset.
Vya Domus
Th3pwn3r said:
Either way, no matter what Nvidia does I think people will be upset.
People are upset , market share is rising. :laugh:

Something ain't right.
lexluthermiester
Th3pwn3r said:
I have no problem with "binning" of products, which is the process you just described. The problem is with artificial limitations being imposed on overclocking and modification of those products. That's what is unacceptable.
I No
lexluthermiester said:

I disagree fully. We are entirely in the perfect position to pick sides!

That's an extreme and very poor comparison.

Are we still under the illusion that the companies that produce hardware care about the temper tantrums thrown on tech forums? There's only 1 thing that they care about and sadly that's called sales volume. I'm not ok with it as well but what can I do apart from not putting my money on the products that whatever company throws out the market. I'm pretty sure that it will cause a massive s**tstorm in the nvidia meeting rooms .... "Jen some dude from a backwater country won't buy our stuff!!! PANIC MODE ON!" let's be serious here for a moment. The 1070ti will be able to fill the gap left by the low volume of VEGA 56 and the obscene prices locked or not it will fit in and it will sell also this is blown up all out of proportion the GPU will still have GPU Boost 3.0 so it will clock pretty damn high thanks to that (if that will be the case).
People tend to be upset on everything these days "the price is too high" "the businesses are shady because... how dare they put a product out on the market and demand money for it?!". Furthermore if we think that these companies have our best interest in mind we're barking up the wrong tree, the only reason we get support for a product is because there are laws in place that demand it. If a decision taken by a business seems ethical it's just pure coincidence, profit is what drives them not ethics.
Th3pwn3r
lexluthermiester said:
It's unacceptable for you, it's fine for me. When you purchase something you have to know what you're getting into.

Similar to high interest loans, some people realize how bad they are to get into, some people don't. Some people blame the loan companies for being evil with their high interest rates and rant about it, others think about why people would agree to such loans.

Back on topic, if you don't like Nvidia limiting what their hardware can do then don't buy it. Vote with your wallet, that's all you can do. I can with 100% certainty say that Nvidia doesn't care about what forum members are saying. The bigger picture comes from all the people who aren't enthusiasts like us, people that spend their money on products without ever knowing the history of them.
lexluthermiester
I No said:
Actually they do watch and listen. And if enough of us object, they act. If you are too impotent to take a stand, ok. But suggesting that no one should because"who cares" is not only seriously sad, but also reveals something disturbing.
I No said:
You can quit arguing with me and start voicing your objections to Nvidia.
I No said:
Wait you're being serious? Thought you were just being a bit of a jerk..
I No said:
You're missing the point. When the GTX970 memory nonsense broke, people stood up and put Nvidia in their place. And even after the air was cleared, the damage was done and Nvidia learn a lesson about what boundary not to cross. This is no different. It's an artificial limitation that will hamper maximum possible performance. It equally unacceptable.
I No said:
Really? Is that what you see happening here? Think that one over for a minute.
I No said:
And that's another part of the point, companies need to understand that it IS in THEIR best interest to have our best interests in mind.
I No said:
Exactly right! And those laws were created to PROTECT the consumer from unscrupulous actions of companies who place their profits over the good of the public.
I No said:
Another reason why laws and the courts exist.
Th3pwn3r said:
That is an opinion not backed up by history and experiences many have had. If enough of us speak up, they will listen.

Just as a qualifier, I'm an Nvidia user. Was one of those who had a 970 and demanded a replacement. Got it and then some. I love Geforce and Quadro based products. However, I will NOT tolerate crap like that or this.
Midland Dog
why nvidia didnt just go with 2048 cuda cores and slap g5x to keep the miners away i will never know
Vya Domus
Because it wouldn't be much faster.