Tuesday, November 1st 2016

be quiet! Dark Base 700 Mid-Tower Case Teased

be quiet!, renowned manufacturers of PC hardware cases, cooling solutions, and other varied hardware parts, have recently teased their new PC Case, the Dark Base 700. The Dark Base series is the flagship offering of the company, with the only other products on the series currently being the Dark Base 900 case and related accessories.

The Dark Base 700 will apparently fall in on the Mid-Tower case genre, with its seven expansion slots on the back fo the case. Radiator support should be guaranteed for a 120 mm radiator on the back of the case as well, but other details still remain somewhat obscure. A PSU shroud will be part of the design, with its advantages and disadvantages (it's unclear whether this shroud will be removable or not, but considering the flagship series status of the case, this wouldn't be remiss). There's also support for a riser-extended graphics card with dual-slot display outputs, and the natural side panel for your hardware oggling pleasure. The launch date for the be quiet! Dark Base 700 has been set for November 14th.
Sources: @ be quiet! Twitter, via ETeknix
Add your own comment

34 Comments on be quiet! Dark Base 700 Mid-Tower Case Teased

#1
lexluthermiester
When are case makers going to realize that expansion bays, 3.5" and 5.25" are not obsolete and still used by many? Lack of such is a deal breaker. This would otherwise be a great case! Seriously, get a clue manufacturers!

Edit; Let the flaming commence...
Posted on Reply
#2
StrayKAT
lexluthermiester said:
When are case makers going to realize that expansion bays, 3.5" and 5.25" are not obsolete and still used by many? Lack of such is a deal breaker. This would otherwise be a great case! Seriously, get a clue manufacturers!

Edit; Let the flaming commence...
Definitely a must for me, but apparently these type of cases are popular.
Posted on Reply
#3
lexluthermiester
StrayKAT said:
Definitely a must for me, but apparently these type of cases are popular.
That's the problem. Case makers are failing to understand that useful features like those mentioned above are needed by those of us who still want stylish cases like this one. Heck, even one of each type of bay would be great! One 5.25" for my M-Disc BDR and one 3.5" for my memory card reader. Is that too much to ask?
Posted on Reply
#4
StrayKAT
lexluthermiester said:
That's the problem. Case makers are failing to understand that useful features like those mentioned above are needed by those of us who still want stylish cases like this one. Heck, even one of each type of bay would be great! One 5.25" for my M-Disc BDR and one 3.5" for my memory card reader. Is that too much to ask?
Same. I can't find another use for 5.25 besides my bd-drive. Maybe if audio companies made something for the front panel (Creative had one once), I'd use that too.
Posted on Reply
#5
lexluthermiester
StrayKAT said:
Same. I can't find another use for 5.25 besides my bd-drive. Maybe if audio companies made something for the front panel (Creative had one once), I'd use that too.
Actually have a front panel break-out for my SBZ. Not using it currently, but have when I was doing more audio work. It would be nice to be able to continue using it in future, as needed.
Posted on Reply
#6
Th3pwn3r
lexluthermiester said:
When are case makers going to realize that expansion bays, 3.5" and 5.25" are not obsolete and still used by many? Lack of such is a deal breaker. This would otherwise be a great case! Seriously, get a clue manufacturers!

Edit; Let the flaming commence...
Get the Dark Base Pro? I took my cages out to mount my radiator. They made an improvement with the PSU shroud but took away the cages with this one.
Posted on Reply
#7
lexluthermiester
Th3pwn3r said:
Get the Dark Base Pro? I took my cages out to mount my radiator. They made an improvement with the PSU shroud but took away the cages with this one.
Nice! Yeah, that would do very well!
For those curious the link as follows; https://www.bequiet.com/en/case/701
EDIT; And an orange one! It's got that whole "Gateway FX" laptop color scheme going for it.
https://www.bequiet.com/en/case/699
EDIT2; Think I'd leave the fan grill in and take the door off. Maybe put some orange LED fans behind the grill. Not too bright though.
Posted on Reply
#8
Th3pwn3r
The one thing that really sucks about the dark base pro is the front door latching design is really bad, it BARELY holds the door closed. I may use some magnetic strips to help out now that I got the idea for that.
Posted on Reply
#9
lexluthermiester
Yeah, with that, it seems like it would be better to just take the door off.
Posted on Reply
#10
StrayKAT
One of those Cooler Masters that are shaped like this is on sale at NewEgg for $60. Just saying.

Although I think there are different versions. Maybe it's not as good.
Posted on Reply
#11
lexluthermiester
This is the one I currently have for my personal main setup; https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119265&cm_re=cooler_master_case_sale-_-11-119-265-_-Product

Here's a few pics;
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y0rn6k5m5gk86os/CMHAF-02.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mundpl8njjnwcet/CMHAF-03.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ydxktmkhv4tjem1/CMHAF-04.jpg?dl=0

Loving it as is. I've run out of drive space though which is why I've been watching case reviews. The Orange themed Dark Base Pro Th3pwn3r mentioned is tempting me somewhat.
Posted on Reply
#12
StrayKAT
lexluthermiester said:
This is the one I currently have for my personal main setup; https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119265&cm_re=cooler_master_case_sale-_-11-119-265-_-Product

Here's a few pics;
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y0rn6k5m5gk86os/CMHAF-02.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mundpl8njjnwcet/CMHAF-03.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ydxktmkhv4tjem1/CMHAF-04.jpg?dl=0

Loving it as is. I've run out of drive space though which is why I've been watching case reviews. The Orange themed Dark Base Pro Th3pwn3r mentioned is tempting me somewhat.
That's the only ATX I like from CM (I like the smaller stuff more). I don't have a space for it though.
Posted on Reply
#14
StrayKAT
lexluthermiester said:
Yeah it is a bit of a monster. As you can see, it has it's own spot on my desk.
Something like the following more your taste?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119286&cm_re=cooler_master_case_sale-_-11-119-286-_-Product
It would be if I had ITX (I wish I did). I have a spare ATX mobo, but haven't done anything with it yet. I just need a tower. They may be tall, but it's easier to fit into places. My main computer is a Corsair C70, which I love. I might just get another.
Posted on Reply
#15
Th3pwn3r
lexluthermiester said:
This is the one I currently have for my personal main setup; https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119265&cm_re=cooler_master_case_sale-_-11-119-265-_-Product

Here's a few pics;
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y0rn6k5m5gk86os/CMHAF-02.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mundpl8njjnwcet/CMHAF-03.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ydxktmkhv4tjem1/CMHAF-04.jpg?dl=0

Loving it as is. I've run out of drive space though which is why I've been watching case reviews. The Orange themed Dark Base Pro Th3pwn3r mentioned is tempting me somewhat.
I have an HAF for my daughter. I have this as my main-

https://i.redd.it/6hkhxv0lrioz.jpg

I initially just wanted a good AIO andendes up with all the RGB.
Posted on Reply
#17
Th3pwn3r
Haha, she's 5 and make a little 'name tag' with my name on it even though she's the only one who ever uses it.
Posted on Reply
#18
lexluthermiester
Th3pwn3r said:
Haha, she's 5 and make a little 'name tag' with my name on it even though she's the only one who ever uses it.
Kids are fun! Did you walk her through installing the OS & software? I did that with my daughter back when she was 6. She actually got a lot of it done herself.
Posted on Reply
#19
Th3pwn3r
I tried to show her how to build two of our machines but she's one of those kids that is into her stuff and her stuff only. She loses interest quick ha. Still, I always try to teach her.
Posted on Reply
#20
Jetster
You're a little off topic. As far as no drive bays it's a specific case design with drive mounts on back and by the psu. Much cleaner look and room for a rad
Posted on Reply
#21
lexluthermiester
Jetster said:
You're a little off topic. As far as no drive bays it's a specific case design with drive mounts on back and by the psu. Much cleaner look and room for a rad
Right. But adding a slight bit of height for the bays wouldn't hurt the looks or the intended functionality. But that's ok, as discussed above there are other models which provide comparable styling with the desired functionality.
Posted on Reply
#22
goodeedidid
StrayKAT said:
Definitely a must for me, but apparently these type of cases are popular.
I wouldn't agree. Those are obsolete features. There is nothing that I can use with these bays and many many other consumers too.
Posted on Reply
#23
Th3pwn3r
If you still like watching Blu rays then the optical drive is nice. That or if you want to install our OS from a disc form.
Posted on Reply
#24
lexluthermiester
Here's a couple of examples of items drive bays are needed for.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007YDJJFS/?tag=tec06d-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006DKEQL0/?tag=tec06d-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DZ75OSI/?tag=tec06d-20
This is a few of the many types of expansion devices that can be used and are preferred by many. Sure there are external versions of these but that just starts cluttering up one's desk.
I'm not saying that the case in this article is garbage, it's not. It's very beautiful in fact.
Posted on Reply
#25
StrayKAT
goodeedidid said:
I wouldn't agree. Those are obsolete features. There is nothing that I can use with these bays and many many other consumers too.
No, I get it's not popular. But it's not obsolete to me, personally. Besides, if I'm building a tower, that's a waste of space if I don't do anything with it. It's not like I need ATX for anything else.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment