Wednesday, August 1st 2018

NVIDIA Releases GeForce 398.82 "Game Ready" Drivers

NVIDIA today released GeForce 398.82 WHQL drivers. These drivers are game-ready for the week's hottest game releases: "World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth," and "Monster Hunter: World." The drivers also add or update SLI profiles for "Call of Duty: Black Ops 4" and "World of Warcraft." The drivers fix color corruption seen on "World of Warcraft: Legion" on machines with G-Sync HDR and Windows HDR mode enabled. The drivers also bring back graphics settings in "Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus," and missing G-Sync Control Panel on machines with G-Sync Surround. Grab the drivers from the link below.
DOWNLOAD: NVIDIA GeForce 398.82 WHQL

The change-log follows.

Game Ready
Provides the optimal gaming experience for World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth and Monster Hunter: World.

Application SLI Profiles
Added or updated the following SLI profiles:
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
  • World of Warcraft
3D Vision Profiles
Added or updated the following 3D Vision profiles:
  • Monster Hunter World - Not recommended
Added or updated the following compatibility mode profiles:
  • Monster Hunter World - Excellent
Fixed Issues in this Release
  • [Surround][G-SYNC]: In Surround mode, the G-SYNC link in the NVIDIA Control Panel is missing. [200425004]
  • [Surround]: 1x3 Surround configuration cannot be set from the NVIDIA Control Panel. [200415178]
  • [SLI][GeForce GTX 1080][G-SYNC][World of Warcraft: Legion][HDR]: Severe color corruption appears in the game after launching with the Windows HDR setting enabled. [200418344]
  • [SLI][Dark Souls Remastered]: Ghosting occurs in the game when using in-game temporal anti-aliasing. [2218297]
  • [NVIDIA Control Panel][Surround]: NVIDIA Surround hot keys do not work. [200394749]
  • [Dead by Daylight][GeForce Experience]: NVIDIA Freestyle does not work with the game. [2116198]
  • [GeForce GTX 1080 Ti][GameStream]: White dots may appear while Gamestreaming on overclocked GPU. [2194899]
  • [Unreal Engine 4]: Resource creation leak occurs in the driver when running Unreal Engine 4 games. [2204854]
  • [Wolfenstein II]: Graphical effects are missing in the game. [2248780]
  • [G-Sync][Multiple Apps]: Applications don't run in IFlip when using the native resolution, preventing G-Sync from triggering. [200416974]
  • [Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus]: Black textures appear in Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. [200419742]
  • [GeForce GTX 1080]: Dolby Vision no longer works after updating LG TV firmware to 4.70.x. [200420847]
Windows 10 Issues
  • [G-SYNC]: Windowed G-Sync mode may stutter after upgrading to Windows 10 Spring Creators Update. [2097340]
  • [Euro Truck Simulator 2][DirectX NVCamera]: Performance drop occurs after enabling Freestyle for the game. [200435356]
  • [Netflix Edge Browser]: When playing a game in full-screen mode and playing a video from the Netflix Edge Browser, blue-screen crash occurs after multiple [Alt+Tab] switching between the two. [200415750]The issue does not occur when playing the Netflix video in a Chrome browser.
  • [Firefox]: Cursor shows brief corruption when hovering on certain links in Firefox. [2107201]
  • Windowed G-Sync mode may stutter after upgrading to Windows 10 Spring Creators Update. [2097340]
  • Random DPC watchdog violation errors occur when using multiple GPUs on motherboards with PLX chips. [2079538]
  • Using power monitoring in GPU monitor tools causes micro stutter. [2110289/2049879]
Add your own comment

26 Comments on NVIDIA Releases GeForce 398.82 "Game Ready" Drivers

#1
gmn 17
Cool warcraft drivers
Posted on Reply
#2
Prima.Vera
Using power monitoring in GPU monitor tools causes micro stutter. [2110289/2049879]
This is/was a big thing. Wonder why no one pick on it!
Posted on Reply
#3
Upgrayedd
but..but.. I thought SLI was dead?
Posted on Reply
#4
Caring1
Nvidia's use of the phrase "Game ready" is as appropriate as the term "Gaming" is to Computer Hardware manufacturers, it adds nothing only detracts from the meaning.
Posted on Reply
#6
XiGMAKiD
This driver always fail to load on Windows 7 after restarting for the second time (the first restart being mandatory restart when installing), using DDU and reinstall won't solve the problem, in the end DDU it again then reinstall old driver (version 390.77) and voila running OK just like before
Posted on Reply
#8
bug
Caring1 said:
Nvidia's use of the phrase "Game ready" is as appropriate as the term "Gaming" is to Computer Hardware manufacturers, it adds nothing only detracts from the meaning.
What do you mean? As I understand it, "game ready" is equivalent to initial support. I.e. the game may have run sub-optimal with previous drivers, it will work better starting with these.
Though if you look at their official page, it starts wit "Game Ready Drivers provide the best possible gaming experience for all major new releases" only to follow up with a tamer "Provides the optimal gaming experience for..."
Clearly, a better job could have been done.
Posted on Reply
#9
rtwjunkie
PC Gaming Enthusiast
bug said:
What do you mean? As I understand it, "game ready" is equivalent to initial support. I.e. the game may have run sub-optimal with previous drivers, it will work better starting with these.
Though if you look at their official page, it starts wit "Game Ready Drivers provide the best possible gaming experience for all major new releases" only to follow up with a tamer "Provides the optimal gaming experience for..."
Clearly, a better job could have been done.
I’m with @Caring1 on this. “Game Ready” is nothing but a marketing term. I have never played a new release with the latest and greatest “game ready” drivers, and have never suffered in my gaming experience and playability.

Edit: stupid phone. I know I wrote playability the first time at the end, but phone decided I should say experience twice and look like an idiot. Anyway, fixed.
Posted on Reply
#10
bug
rtwjunkie said:
I’m with @Caring1 on this. “Game Ready” is nothing but a marketing term. I have never played a new release with the latest and greatest “game ready” drivers, and have never suffered in my gaming experience and experience.
Well, obviously. Everything coming from a company is a marketing term. If possible, it's a trademark. I don't see a point in complaining about that.
As for playing with older drivers, yeah, they're obviously not broken. Game ready drivers simply fix issues that most of the time are specific to some cards and/or configuration.

And let's turn this around: what would qualify as "game ready" for you, @Caring1 ?
Posted on Reply
#11
Caring1
bug said:
And let's turn this around: what would qualify as "game ready" for you, @Caring1 ?
Drivers that don't require bug fixes.
Strangely enough every new release has to have something amended.
Posted on Reply
#12
bug
Caring1 said:
Drivers that don't require bug fixes.
Strangely enough every new release has to have something amended.
In other words, drivers that have never existed. Exactly as I thought.
Posted on Reply
#13
coonbro
Caring1 said:
Drivers that don't require bug fixes.
Strangely enough every new release has to have something amended.
I like how a game worked excellent in the last driver or older drivers then NVidia releases a new driver and some how the game that worked well before now has issues

I liked what guys have said in feedbacks how it seems NVidia bugs as much as they try to fix in each release .

how do you take something that was working well and louse it up in the next release ? kinda like a don't fix what aint broken kinda thing
Posted on Reply
#14
bug
coonbro said:
I like how a game worked excellent in the last driver or older drivers then NVidia releases a new driver and some how the game that worked well before now has issues

I liked what guys have said in feedbacks how it seems NVidia bugs as much as they try to fix in each release .

how do you take something that was working well and louse it up in the next release ? kinda like a don't fix what aint broken kinda thing
Most of the time this is on developers using APIs in non-standard ways that Nvidia tries to accommodate. Try to add one more non standard path, you break one the few hundreds you already support (insert xkcd "you broke my workflow" here). These regressions are rare (I never stumbled upon one), but I still wish Nvidia took the stance AMD takes and stop offering prompt support for these usages. Let the developers use APIs as they were meant to be used instead.
Posted on Reply
#15
Prima.Vera
or just wait for the driver fix in 1 week....
Posted on Reply
#16
$ReaPeR$
so, as per usual, its best to wait. thanks for the input.
Posted on Reply
#17
bug
$ReaPeR$ said:
so, as per usual, its best to wait. thanks for the input.
?
Posted on Reply
#18
$ReaPeR$
what seems to trouble you @bug ?
Posted on Reply
#19
bug
$ReaPeR$ said:
what seems to trouble you @bug ?
Your statement, of course. I'm not sure how anything said in this thread has prompted you to wait. And I assume you're waiting before updating the drivers, because you didn't actually state what you're waiting for.
Posted on Reply
#20
rtwjunkie
PC Gaming Enthusiast
Meh, I wait indefinitely. A good, well written driver can last a good while. Usually I stick with one 3 to 4 months, and when I do update, it’s usually a driver an iteration or two behind the latest driver, depending on which one has had the fewest problems.
Posted on Reply
#21
bug
rtwjunkie said:
Meh, I wait indefinitely. A good, well written driver can last a good while. Usually I stick with one 3 to 4 months, and when I do update, it’s usually a driver an iteration or two behind the latest driver, depending on which one has had the fewest problems.
Over time I also went from installing every beta to installing only WHQLed drivers to "meh, whenever I feel like updating". Never had issues to speak of, even with betas.
However, I'm not sure waiting indefinitely is still an option, I believe Win10 will push the new drivers after a while if you don't update them yourself.
Posted on Reply
#22
rtwjunkie
PC Gaming Enthusiast
bug said:
However, I'm not sure waiting indefinitely is still an option, I believe Win10 will push the new drivers after a while if you don't update them yourself.
W10 only forces NVIDIA drivers on users if GEFORCE Experience is not installed. With it, you can decline to an indeterminate amount of time (I haven’t reached that point yet).
Posted on Reply
#23
$ReaPeR$
bug said:
Your statement, of course. I'm not sure how anything said in this thread has prompted you to wait. And I assume you're waiting before updating the drivers, because you didn't actually state what you're waiting for.
what @rtwjunkie said. new drivers have a tendency to create problems either due to not being properly optimized or tested, so i try to avoid them unless there is no other option or a sufficient amount of people has tested them thus ensuring the minimal possibility of a problem arising.
Posted on Reply
#24
xorbe
XiGMAKiD said:
This driver always fail to load on Windows 7 after restarting for the second time (the first restart being mandatory restart when installing), using DDU and reinstall won't solve the problem, in the end DDU it again then reinstall old driver (version 390.77) and voila running OK just like before
The writing is on the wall that nv is not giving Win7/8 enough love any more. Driver TDRs on Win7/8 have also crept in as the driver is bent to favor Win10, and hacks added to keep Win7/8 going. I gave up and actually moved to Win10. It would be best to revert to whatever the last driver was before the TDRs showed up a while back, and just stay there.
Posted on Reply
#25
bug
rtwjunkie said:
W10 only forces NVIDIA drivers on users if GEFORCE Experience is not installed. With it, you can decline to an indeterminate amount of time (I haven’t reached that point yet).
Ah, I see. I don't use GFE, so I didn't know that.

$ReaPeR$ said:
what @rtwjunkie said. new drivers have a tendency to create problems either due to not being properly optimized or tested, so i try to avoid them unless there is no other option or a sufficient amount of people has tested them thus ensuring the minimal possibility of a problem arising.
So... how does waiting solve that problem? Because when you wait, other drivers will be released which, following your train of thought, are also poorly optimized and tested.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment