Sunday, October 8th 2017

Intel Also Launches HEDT Core X Processors - 8 to 18 Cores on LGA 2066/X299

Intel today tried to burn the entire hardware media world with a flurry of announcements designed to make our fingers bleed. Alongside their mainstream desktop 9th generation series which goes up to the mainstream overclocker's dream i9-9900K (which is now available for pre-order on Amazon from $499), Intel also announced a new HEDT lineup in the form of the 9th Gen Core X series, which are still being fabbed on their 14 nm++ nodes.
The Core X series comes as an answer to AMD's Threadripper-based HEDT lineup - which still wins in core-counts alone by an almost ungodly margin. However, Intel likes to put it this way: better fewer, stronger cores than more numerous, weaker ones. The new lineup spans the i7-9800X with its 8 cores and 16 threads running at 3.8 GHz base clocks with 16.5 MB of L3 cache all the way to the 18-core, 36-thread i9-9980XE, which runs at 3 GHz base clocks with 24.75 MB of L3 cache. Intel is also deploying their Turbo Boost Max tech which will allow its new CPUs to achieve higher boost clocks than with their Turbo Boost 2.0 - by 100 MHz. All Intel CPUs - from the 8 to the 18-core - feature a 165 W TDP, and will slot in on LGA 2066, X299 motherboards (don't forget your BIOS updates, though).

The new HEDT processors and Core X series supports quad-channel DDR4 memory, at a base speed of 2666 MHz - but as we all know, Intel platforms have been extremely apt in taking the most out of maximum DDR4 memory frequency. The new processors do away with one of the harshest criticisms that has been thrown Intel's way on how they handle their enthusiast or overclocking-geared CPUs - they've finally gotten rid of their TIM paste interface, and opted for soldering their CPUs for better thermal characteristics (and ultimately, higher clockspeeds/stability). Of course, now the company goes on to say what we all knew - that solder improves on performance achieved by TIM paste solutions. And even goes so far as using this change as a selling point. Oh, Intel.
All new CPUs in the Core X series deliver up to 68 PCIe 3.0 lanes (44 delivered by the CPUs themselves, less than the 64 AMD's CPUs provide) and an additional 24 delivered by their PCH. Core X chips include hardening (both in silicon and microcode updates) against both Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities. And Intel delivered some performance numbers with their presentation, claiming 27% faster 3D rendering, 107% faster video editing, and 13% faster game build time (always up to, and always pitting Intel's $1,979 18-core, 36-thread i9-9980XE against AMD's $1990, 32-core, 64-thread Threadripper 2990WX).
Interestingly, from an architecture perspective, Intel is carving these new CPUs from three different dies: LCC (low core count) and HCC (high core count), with the LCC die covering anything from 4-10 cores and the HCC die covering up to 18 cores. The L3 cache on these is of the non-inclusive, victim type - it only loads data that had already been discarded from the L2 cache for other, more priority-heavy data.
Source: Tom's Hardware
Add your own comment

22 Comments on Intel Also Launches HEDT Core X Processors - 8 to 18 Cores on LGA 2066/X299

#1
R0H1T
There's like half a dozen X processors, with STIM, apparently they didn't think of the temps before TR ~ like many of us have pointed out over the years.
Posted on Reply
#2
dj-electric
I've been thinking how to tackle Intel's approach to HEDT refresh and i think that there's no way around it.
Pricing is extremely arrogant and ignorant of 2018's doings in the HCC market. This is almost offensive towards customers who know much CPU power you can buy for a a certain price.
I know that not all cores are created equal, but there's only so much you can charge for having a premium product over your competitor.

Intel, you were given a second opportunity at pricing those. You know very well what's going on at the HEDT market, yet 10C for 999$ and 20C for 1999$ was still a go.

This is not cool, Intel. And your opponent doesn't even have to react in order to pull customers this time.
:shadedshu:
Posted on Reply
#3
Frick
Fishfaced Nincompoop
Any projections of how much faster the 9980xe will be than the 7980xe? I'm guessing not much really, but I honestly don't know.
Posted on Reply
#4
dj-electric
Frick said:
Any projections of how much faster the 9980xe will be than the 7980xe? I'm guessing not much really, but I honestly don't know.
Because those are from the same arch and should be just as fast under same frequency, it wouldn't be unreasonable that stock v stock the 9980XE will pull ahead by about 15%.
Posted on Reply
#6
Tomgang
Still only 18 cores, come on intel AMD has 32 cores for cheaper :shadedshu:. Yeah i know cores aint all, but while AMD has now 32 cores i exspected more from intel and not only still 18 core it is also even more exspensive now.

Looks like X58 aint gonna be replaced this season then either then. Cause i do want intel again but as long there CPU´s cost like they do now and X58 can keep me going that is what i will do. So i will be on X58 for at least a year more then.
Posted on Reply
#7
Vya Domus
Frick said:
I'm guessing not much really, but I honestly don't know.
Yet somehow they claim things such as 108% better video editing performance, which boggles my mind.
Posted on Reply
#8
Aquinus
Resident Wat-man
Intel is still buying time until they can move to a MCM design I see. Welcome to the Intel Gravy Train, climb aboard!
Posted on Reply
#9
cadaveca
My name is Dave
dj-electric said:
This is not cool, Intel. And your opponent doesn't even have to react in order to pull customers this time.
:shadedshu:
You know we don't see eye-to-eye on this general topic, but you do make a valid point... having either lower pricing, or better performance, would put nice pressure against AMD, and that's something we need right now. Having both would be ideal.
Posted on Reply
#10
StrayKAT
Just when I thought my poor x299 had a dead future. I bought a 7820 in the hopes there'd be better down the line (when I could afford it). Was a little bummed hearing about z399/x599 coming out so quickly.
Posted on Reply
#11
WikiFM
The 9800X seems a hard sell against the 9900K, because 9900K boost is 500 Mhz higher and will be around 100 dollars cheaper.

Also, are these new CPUs Skylake-X 14+ nm or Cascade Lake-X 14++ nm?
Posted on Reply
#12
StrayKAT
WikiFM said:
The 9800X seems a hard sell against the 9900K, because 9900K boost is 500 Mhz higher and will be around 100 dollars cheaper.

Also, are these new CPUs Skylake-X 14+ nm or Cascade Lake-X 14++ nm?
I guess it's Skylake still? "Basin Falls Refresh" to be exact.
Posted on Reply
#13
WikiFM
If these are still Skylake-X, I dont see the point of launching them, the only new thing is the STIM, but same clocks, same number of cores, same price, no new instructions and no hardware security mitigations. Its just a bad rebranding.
Posted on Reply
#14
StrayKAT
WikiFM said:
If these are still Skylake-X, I dont see the point of launching them, the only new thing is the STIM, but same clocks, same number of cores, same price, no new instructions and no hardware security mitigations. Its just a bad rebranding.
These have many more PCIe lanes. And a lot more cores in the i9's.

Atm, I don't care personally though. I'm just glad x299 will have more life in it down the road.
Posted on Reply
#15
WikiFM
StrayKAT said:
These have many more PCIe lanes. And a lot more cores in the i9's.
Compared to mainstream platform of course, but I was comparing to the previous Core-X 7th generation. The "new" Core X 9th generation is identical to the Core X 7th one, besides the STIM. I was expecting that this was Cascade Lake-X, but if it is not, then when will it be released?
Posted on Reply
#16
hat
Enthusiast
So, Skylake-X version 2?

R0H1T said:
There's like half a dozen X processors, with STIM, apparently they didn't think of the temps before TR ~ like many of us have pointed out over the years.
I thought they stopped using solder on HEDT chips with Skylake-X?

Intel's product line becomes ever more convoluted and confusing.
Posted on Reply
#17
StrayKAT
WikiFM said:
Compared to mainstream platform of course, but I was comparing to the previous Core-X 7th generation. The "new" Core X 9th generation is identical to the Core X 7th one, besides the STIM. I was expecting that this was Cascade Lake-X, but if it is not, then when will it be released?
I'm talking about Core-X/HEDT too (I have one myself.. but it's a 7820.. and the PCIe lanes suck). But as far as I can tell, they've upped the numbers for the i9s as well.
Posted on Reply
#18
dj-electric
In terms of branding the new core-x series is actually a healthy improvement over the mess of 2066 launch.
They are all i9s
They all have 40 pcie lanes on chip
No nonsense 4-6C chips

That's good.

What's not good is the pricing, that should start at 499$ and end at roughly 1099$ IMO.
Posted on Reply
#19
StrayKAT
hat said:
So, Skylake-X version 2?



I thought they stopped using solder on HEDT chips with Skylake-X?

Intel's product line becomes ever more convoluted and confusing.
I know.. it's crazy. Maybe they're purposely just trying to get rid of building materials.... practically throwing it all against a wall. lol
Posted on Reply
#21
lexluthermiester
Frick said:
Any projections of how much faster the 9980xe will be than the 7980xe? I'm guessing not much really, but I honestly don't know.
That's my guess as well.
Posted on Reply
#22
WikiFM
StrayKAT said:
I'm talking about Core-X/HEDT too (I have one myself.. but it's a 7820.. and the PCIe lanes suck). But as far as I can tell, they've upped the numbers for the i9s as well.
You are right, but just the 8 core part is been upgraded with more PCle lanes (same silicon but now is not disabled), the rest 10-18 cores parts have same lanes.

dj-electric said:
In terms of branding the new core-x series is actually a healthy improvement over the mess of 2066 launch.
They are all i9s
They all have 40 pcie lanes on chip
No nonsense 4-6C chips

That's good.

What's not good is the pricing, that should start at 499$ and end at roughly 1099$ IMO.
The 9800X is i7.
They have 44 lanes, same as previous gen from 10-18 cores parts. Just the 8 core part got more lanes.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment