Thursday, February 14th 2008

Scythe Orochi Ready to Meet its Competitors

Announced today in Japan and set to become widely available for purchase from 21th February, this is the third new processor cooler coming from Scythe within a month. Expected to become the most expensive Scythe cooler, the Orochi may well deserve the title "overkill" with its 10 massive heatpipes, 1155gm weight and huge dimensions: 120x194x155mm (height). On top of this beast you'll find a 140mm fan spinning at 500 rpm, which may also be mounted vertically. The Scythe Orochi is compatible with all Intel P4 478/775 and AMD Athlon64 754/939/940/AM2/AM2+ Sockets. Please visit the product page for more information.

Source: XtremeSystems, ASCII.jp
Add your own comment

72 Comments on Scythe Orochi Ready to Meet its Competitors

#1
jpierce55
It looks like it would be great for venting heat right out the side of the case, but the case might need a vent cut into it. I am still interested in it, but only if it is worth the extra cooling over my Infinity.
Posted on Reply
#2
Nemesis881
its the long lost heatsink of the gods!!! :respect:
Posted on Reply
#4
SK-1
jpierce55 said:
http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu/036/scorc1000_detail.html

It is available here now, but WAY to expensive! Somebody else would have to prove it to be an unearthly powerful air cooler for me to buy it.

Edit: also it is here but I don't know about the company selling it, that price would be o.k. if a good cooler:
http://www.jab-tech.com/Scythe-OROCHI-10Heat-Pipes-CPU-Cooler-pr-4108.html
I agree,...a few dollars more and you could go water. I admit though, I am curious as to its performance.
Posted on Reply
#5
jpierce55
SK-1 said:
I agree,...a few dollars more and you could go water. I admit though, I am curious as to its performance.
But air does leak or need upgrades, I tried liquid cooling already and don't care for it. I have a big curiousness about it, and a little drunk so I might go ahead and order it.
Posted on Reply
#6
jpierce55
hrm, I just measured, won't fit.
Posted on Reply
#7
Solaris17
Creator Solaris Utility DVD
[I.R.A]_FBi said:
putting it in perspective ...


if your cpu over heats after this...your an idiot and you need to come back to tpu to ask what you did wrong.


like wow just omg i think my case is thinner than that.
Posted on Reply
#8
das müffin mann
wow i wanna see W1zz do a review on it, if you dont get some nice clocks with that then...idk
Posted on Reply
#9
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
it has multiple features it doubles as a lead weight so no one steals your rig at lan-parties, but wait theres more! if you are ever without a boat anchor, or your brakes go out attach the included chain and stop fast!!!!



(model not included)
Posted on Reply
#10
tkpenalty
Instead of mindlessly adding more heatpipes and fins, why couldnt scythe implement the HDT system? I really doubt its performance will be really worth it, the strain and/or stress it puts on the mobo will be HUGE, because of the height and weight. This cooler is the most tallest that has graced the cooling industry (I wouldnt complain if scythe decided to supply a steel board reinforcement plate however)
Posted on Reply
#11
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
tkpenalty said:
Instead of mindlessly adding more heatpipes and fins, why couldnt scythe implement the HDT system? I really doubt its performance.
mindless its not mindless its the only thing capable of cooling prescott!

on a more serious note looks kinda like scythe wanted to be able to say mines bigger than yours is
Posted on Reply
#12
tkpenalty
cdawall said:
mindless its not mindless its the only thing capable of cooling prescott!

on a more serious note looks kinda like scythe wanted to be able to say mines bigger than yours is
Yeah, but its totally mindless when so many measures need to be taken for this to be safe. Gemini was already total WTF, same as IFX 14. Theres only one chassis i know that will fit this; and thats BARELY fit.



Oh dear... dear scythe - please get rid of that nickel plated copper base if you truly want this to be the best cooler ever. That base is really thick...
Posted on Reply
#13
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
tkpenalty said:
Yeah, but its totally mindless when so many measures need to be taken for this to be safe. Gemini was already total WTF, same as IFX 14. Theres only one chassis i know that will fit this; and thats BARELY fit.
the gemini II is funny it wont fit n my case with both fans installed but thats partially the mobos faults since i have to mount it up or down vs left or right.

what case will this fit in?
Posted on Reply
#14
Wile E
Power User
SK-1 said:
I agree,...a few dollars more and you could go water. I admit though, I am curious as to its performance.
Not any water worth buying. Water worth buying is still more than twice the price of this.

cdawall said:
the gemini II is funny it wont fit n my case with both fans installed but thats partially the mobos faults since i have to mount it up or down vs left or right.

what case will this fit in?
lol

http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=TopTechSTD
Posted on Reply
#15
tkpenalty
Wile E said:
Not any water worth buying. Water worth buying is still more than twice the price of this.

lol

http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=TopTechSTD

I'd still go for safety of components :laugh:

Well, vertically its not really a problem, but if it was mounted like in a normal chassis....

Anyway as I said.... HDT FTW.

EDIT: Why such a low RPM fan Scythe... why not add two of your slipstream 1.9k RPM fans?
Posted on Reply
#16
SK-1
Wile E said:
Not any water worth buying. Water worth buying is still more than twice the price of this.

lol

http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=TopTechSTD

You obviously cant deal hunt my friend,...many choices abound on Ebay and the like.
I can piece together a decent water system with named parts for right around 100.00.
I just picked up swiftech P65 pump AND a shrouded 120mm rad for 40.00 shipped.
You can also pick up some KILLER deals on Coolit Eliminators. 90.00 and less in some cases.
So there IS water worth buying for a little more, it just takes a little effort to get the deals.
Posted on Reply
#17
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
SK-1 said:
You obviously cant deal hunt my friend,...many choices abound on Ebay and the like.
I can piece together a decent water system with named parts for right around 100.00.
I just picked up swiftech P65 pump AND a shrouded 120mm rad for 40.00 shipped.
You can also pick up some KILLER deals on Coolit Eliminators. 90.00 and less in some cases.
So there IS water worth buying for a little more, it just takes a little effort to get the deals.
or you could look around in the FS/FT here and put together H2O for almost nothing
Posted on Reply
#19
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
das müffin mann said:
idk if anyone posted this yet
http://jab-tech.com/Scythe-OROCHI-10Heat-Pipes-CPU-Cooler-pr-4108.html
rofl i took this off the site

Important Notice:
*Due to the large dimension of this CPU Cooler, this product may not fit into all PC cases. Please check the dimension of your PC case and surrounding components to make sure this CPU cooler can fit into your system
Posted on Reply
#20
SK-1
cdawall said:
or you could look around in the FS/FT here and put together H2O for almost nothing
Even better :toast:
Posted on Reply
#21
Wile E
Power User
SK-1 said:
You obviously cant deal hunt my friend,...many choices abound on Ebay and the like.
I can piece together a decent water system with named parts for right around 100.00.
I just picked up swiftech P65 pump AND a shrouded 120mm rad for 40.00 shipped.
You can also pick up some KILLER deals on Coolit Eliminators. 90.00 and less in some cases.
So there IS water worth buying for a little more, it just takes a little effort to get the deals.
The Tech Station link was shown for comedic value, not it's pricing. I used the first one in Google.

As far as this vs h2o pricing, I wasn't comparing it to used components. That's not an apples to apples comparo. By the same token, I could probably find this cooler for $30 used, or under special circumstances.

And what kind of shrouded 120mm rad? That has a huge impact on both value, and performance.

No offense, but your point was a little too vague to counter what I said.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment