• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hurt Locker Copyright Extortion Racket In Tatters, Plaintiffs' Hypocrisy

System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4
Cooling Some CM tower cooler that will fit my case
Memory 4 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply Seasonic SS-620GM
Software win10
Ok analogy time:
Let's say I'm an architect and I design a building. I'd like to think of myself as an artist because I bring beauty into people's lives. It get built and I get paid for the design. Then it's out in the public and it's really nice and people take pictures of it. I get paid only once and it would be considered silly or even crazy if I went around and asked every person, who made a picture of my building, for money ...

The internet is PUBLIC - once you put something on the internet EVERYONE can see it.

I don't see why some mofo has to make money every time a song they made song is played on the radio or because a picture they drew was shown somewhere while I get paid only once...

They get to be lazy and do nothing WHILE GETTING PAID FOR IT while I have to spend countless sleepless nights and take the responsibility of people's lives and yet get paid only once. Why are they considered more important than me?

If I am a doctor and I save your life, I'll get paid only once - I'm not going around asking my patients for a monthly subscription because they're alive thanks to me...

you get a job done - you get paid for it once. You do another one - you get paid again. End of story.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
It's digital media/piracy, relevancy found!!

So? Six months ago this would've been locked, for good reasons. People, including me, throw hissyfits with this subject.

Sorry you have no credability here please move on and find something else to hate on. I wouldn't mind if you had a decent argument to back up all of your hating but most of the time you don't and your posts prove it with your fanboyish borderline trolling comments, as if anyone really cares what you have to say. When you want to have an adult debate then by all means do your homework and come with a good argument, until then....

Well I do like to troll qubits threads when I don't like them (I think I promised him once I'd do this), but fine.

1. The use of the term extortion would mean that what they are doing is illegal and punishable. That is not clear. I do not like these tactics, but qubit writes it like it's not even a discussion. He elevates his personal moral code to law.

2. Writes of the idea that piracy hurt people entirely. At least he didn't claim it sometimes actually helped bussiness, a small step forward I guess. But this is still open for debate, not just in qubits world.

3. Media cartels and a picture that if these people would have succeded the media cartels would extort hundreds of millions from americans. As I've said before, a long look into wether there are media cartels or not and what they do would be interesting, but here it's just a statement of fact. And then he use the word "would" that indicate that IT'S BOUND TO HAPPEN. He's an oracle.

4. The word disgusting is thrown around a lot. Qubits position on the subject is clear, which I'm actually OK with because the entire thing is shady, but he wants us to agree with him very bad. So he throw in strong words, such as "disgusting", so that we don't have to think.

5. The idea was stolen. That sgt guy is suing Boal, but not because of that but because of "misappropriation of name and likeness, invasion of privacy, infliction of emotional distress, fraud and negligent misrepresentation". When I read qubits take on it I actually thought Boal was in Iraq with the purpose of doing a movie about it. It turned out he was just a journalist stationed there who did a movie about some of the stuff he'd seen. That is not stealing ideas, that is inspiration and is quite common in every creative outlet. Sgt. Sarver probably have a case against Boal but it has nothing to do with what qubit is saying. Part of the blame go to Dailytech.

6. All things combined, we know how qubit feels about it. Then he makes a news post about it and try to cram it down our throats as some kind of truth. If it'd been a random forum post/topic, it'd be fine. But it's not. The entire thing is shady and I agree with the IP thing, but it's written in such a way it feels like it's designed not to inform readers, it's about inform/force qubits personal views on us and whatever visitor happen to visit the front page. And I don't like that.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Ok analogy time:
Let's say I'm an architect and I design a building. I'd like to think of myself as an artist because I bring beauty into people's lives. It get built and I get paid for the design. Then it's out in the public and it's really nice and people take pictures of it. I get paid only once and it would be considered silly or even crazy if I went around and asked every person, who made a picture of my building, for money ...

The internet is PUBLIC - once you put something on the internet EVERYONE can see it.

I don't see why some mofo has to make money every time a song they made song is played on the radio or because a picture they drew was shown somewhere while I get paid only once...

They get to be lazy and do nothing WHILE GETTING PAID FOR IT while I have to spend countless sleepless nights and take the responsibility of people's lives and yet get paid only once. Why are they considered more important than me?

If I am a doctor and I save your life, I'll get paid only once - I'm not going around asking my patients for a monthly subscription because they're alive thanks to me...

you get a job done - you get paid for it once. You do another one - you get paid again. End of story.

Yup, I agree, it's this sense of entitlement from royalties that doesn't seem right, does it? Why do work only once and keep getting paid for it over and over and over...?

In every other line of work, people have to keep, well, working to get paid and that's only fair. I have an excellent example of someone who produces content and only gets paid once for it and is happy with it: me. Yup, I get paid a small amount for each news/editorial article I write for TPU and that's it. My articles can then be re-read, remixed and reused in any way you like. Enforcing royalties is neither possible nor desirable for me (what, stick it behind a f* paywall? No thanks!) My articles become copyright of TPU, as I work for W1zz, but if I was publishing these on my own site, I wouldn't even use copyright at all. The only thing I ask is that if someone uses my work, then they credit the source with a small linking credit like we do on here, or do so inline within the body of the article. That's it. This small piece of etiquette is all I ask. Of course, some reporters can't even be bothered to do that.

A fine example of someone who doesn't give the appropriate simple credit, thereby infringing copyright, is Hilbert Hagedoorn of Guru3D. He often uses other people's articles without credit, don't you Hilbert? ;) And here are the screenshots of his HD 7770 pictures and benchmarks story and mine to prove it:

Just in case you're tempted to change it, buddy. ;)

My article is here and his derivative is here. Note that mine is also a derivative, but I remember to give credit to the original source. So, how can I tell that he's copied/lifted it (not stolen) it? Because the following line is identical, along with the way the benchmarks sentence is written: "ChipHell has leaked more pictures with some benchmarks to go with them. The test setup consisted of an Ivy Bridge ES CPU – Core i5-3550K at 3.3Ghz and Z77 chipset-based motherboard. The driver used was the AMD Catalyst 8.940 RC2, giving the following 3DMark benchmark results:"

Don't forget that little credit in your next article eh, Hilbert? What, you won't? I didn't think so. :slap: Here's a screenshot of my original:

And finally, copying is never stealing, because the original creator still has the original work (like I do here) - that's why there's that word infringement, because if I don't want someone to copy my work, that's what it is. Nothing more, nothing less. I know MailMan doesn't agree with me on this point and it looks like we'll have to agree to disagree unfortunately, I'm cool with that. :) So, in the example above, Hilbert of Guru3D has infringed TPU copyrights by copying without crediting, but not stolen anything. Big difference.

Finally, to anyone that thinks I use IE as my browser, I don't, I use Firefox. I preferred to grab the screenshots in IE, that's all.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
So? Six months ago this would've been locked, for good reasons. People, including me, throw hissyfits with this subject.

Well I do like to troll qubits threads when I don't like them (I think I promised him once I'd do this), but fine.

So, you admit to throwing pathetic hissyfits and trolling do you? You've just lost all credibility and nothing else you say is worth replying to.

You do know that trolling is expressly against the rules of this forum, don't you? :slap:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
So, you admit to throwing pathetic hissyfits and trolling do you? You've just lost all credibility and nothing else you say is worth replying to.

You do know that trolling is expressly against the rules of this forum, don't you? :slap:

Then how about replying to the things I said that wasn't trolling or hissyfits? That post was an effort to make something NOT trolling and/or hissyfitting. And if you feel I'm unfair or incorrect, say so and tell me why so that I can correct myself. I'll do it if there's reason for it.

DaC

Processor Q6600 @3.6
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
Cooling Xigmatek S1283
Memory 8gb Crucial Red Tracer
Video Card(s) ASUS TOP HD 4850 512
Storage Seagate 160GB 7200.11 / 320GB 7200.10 / 500GB 7200.11 / 1TB 7200.12
Display(s) 17" AOC
Audio Device(s) ESI Julia -> Zero DaC -> Senn HD650
Power Supply 550W Seven team
Ok analogy time:

This is the kind of stuff I'm referring to.... the industry will have to find a way to adapt... trying using the old ways to make money on a different time with different medias is just crazy, this isn't how things works, this has never worked this way...
Maybe we could go back in time and stop industrial revolution because it would make some handcraft workers out of business....

But I do care about honest people make a living of it... not some crap guy or girl buying airplanes and stuff on peoples money.
I know many good artists that make their living giving for free their albums on the net and being asked to play live, but they ain't got any glamor because just like every single living human being they're just regular people.

MM You really got stuff wrong if you think anyone here is defending piracy, anyway I don't blame you, it's just how you see thinks based on your experiences, but you're just getting everybody here wrong.

But don't think the media industry will be successful trying to label the honest working people as criminal just to make money. And please don't do that yourself.
Your art and living isn't really the concern at all from this type of law. People behind this law don't give a s**t to your living and you'll hardly be able to put someone into trial for money of copyrights based on it... I'll say it again: This kind of stuff has nothing to do with your work.....
Don't be fooled mate, you're just everybody else in their vision. :pimp:

PS: and if you think the US don't use face recognition or that this isn't underway there.... LoL.... you really have to google about it... :laugh:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Ok analogy time:

Apparently you don't understand how copyrights works do you? A lot of times artists don't get paid until end sale. So for every COPY SOLD they get a cut. As a matter of fact a lot of artists have to pay to have their stuff published just so they can get a cut of the return sales. Some studios lend you time or equipment to develop things for them to sell. If it doesnt then YOU HAVE TO PAY THEM BACK. A lot of times its not even your fault. Your whole analogy shows a complete lack of knowledge on the subject. NONE OF YOU HAVE A RIGHT to copy something you didn't pay for.

LordJummy

System Name Workstation1 | Asus G55VW-DS71
Processor i7 970 3.8GHz | i7 3610QM
Motherboard RIII Formula
Cooling EK 360 Supreme HF | Asus G55VW
Memory 24GB Dominator | 12GB DDR3
Video Card(s) 2x Diamond HD 6970 | GTX 660M
Storage 2x Vertex4 256GB | 256GB Vertex4 & 750GB HDD
Display(s) 3x Crossover 27" LED S-IPS + 30" DELL IPS
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro + Gigaworks G550W
Power Supply HX1000 + NZXT Black Sleeved Extensions
Software Win7Ult64Bit
Benchmark Scores ballz
Like I said the sloth of pirates have spoon fed the US goverment a reason to invade my home. Nice job guys.

This is a sick way of thinking. You are blaming the people who are pirating software and art for SOPA and other ridiculous forms of censorship? That is flat out wrong. They are accountable for their own actions, but not those of others. The people who are creating and enforcing SOPA and other similar bills/laws are to blame, and no one else.

Analogy (explains that you are blaming the wrong party):

I have a tall tree in my back yard that my neighbor thinks is stealing his view of the sky.

My neighbor cuts down my tree forcefully to get his view of the sky back.

Am I to blame for my own tree being cut down? NO. The guy who cut the tree down is to blame, and no one else. He cut it down, not me.

The government should not have the power and unyielding control that is has now, period. You should be blaming the individuals who have been pillaging and destroying the US government and economy for centuries, leaving us with this bloated mess.

In my opinion your stance comes off as lazy and a bit arrogant, and you are blaming a large majority of users on the internet. Also, until you can prove that you don't pirate anything and never have, you should probably stop calling people you don't know such insulting names.

Processor AMD 965 BE
Motherboard MSI gd70
Cooling Koolance Exos 2.5 w/ cpu 350 block
Memory 8gb corsair Dominator ddr3 1600
Video Card(s) 2 sapphire 6870's liquid cooled
Storage 8 150 gb wd raptors in raid 0
Display(s) Acer 24in lcd
Case Thermaltake Armor lcs
Power Supply Thermaltake Tough Power 1200w
Software Win7 64 Ultimate
+1...we need to put quibit in office!

we elect the very people who do this to us.....wise up and elect people who share the same ideals we do.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
This is a sick way of thinking. You are blaming the people who are pirating software and art for SOPA and other ridiculous forms of censorship? That is flat out wrong. They are accountable for their own actions, but not those of others. The people who are creating and enforcing SOPA and other similar bills/laws are to blame, and no one else.

I have a tall tree in my back yard that my neighbor thinks is stealing his view of the sky.

Am I to blame for my own tree being cut down? NO. The guy who cut the tree down is to blame, and no one else. He cut it down, not me.

The government should not have the power and unyielding control that is has now, period. You should be blaming the individuals who have been pillaging and destroying the US government and economy for centuries, leaving us with this bloated mess.

I don't follow the tree analogy. Trees grow by themselves, pirates don't. Would there be as issue if there were no pirates? No, probably not. There would not be a reason to go after them, but now they do exist.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold

In my opinion your stance comes off as lazy and a bit arrogant, and you are blaming a large majority of users on the internet. Also, until you can prove that you don't pirate anything and never have, you should probably stop calling people you don't know such insulting names.
I know pirating better then anyone on this forum. This is why I know the mentality behind it. You're not fooling anyone. If you pirate your a lazy thief. End of story. No matter how many times you repeat the Robin Hood fantasy its still theft. No matter how you paint yourselves as "freedom fighters" your thieves. There are few on here that are open about it. At least I can respect them. They know what they are. The ones I have issue with are the ones trying to justify their laziness. Trying to be hero's for being bums.

See I know both ends of this story. Been there done that. Intellectual property is PROPERTY.

System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4
Cooling Some CM tower cooler that will fit my case
Memory 4 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply Seasonic SS-620GM
Software win10
Apparently you don't understand how copyrights works do you? A lot of times artists don't get paid until end sale. So for every COPY SOLD they get a cut. As a matter of fact a lot of artists have to pay to have their stuff published just so they can get a cut of the return sales. Some studios lend you time or equipment to develop things for them to sell. If it doesnt then YOU HAVE TO PAY THEM BACK. A lot of times its not even your fault. Your whole analogy shows a complete lack of knowledge on the subject. NONE OF YOU HAVE A RIGHT to copy something you didn't pay for.

I am not very familiar with that, you are right. Sounds like a very cut-throat practice by these design studios, just like the one the copyright companies use on musicians to exploit them. Is there no way to bypass them?

TheMailMan78

Big Member
I am not very familiar with that, you are right. Sounds like a very cut-throat practice by these design studios, just like the one the copyright companies use on musicians to exploit them. Is there no way to bypass them?

Sure. A lot of people do. Very, VERY few of them make it. Exposure is everything and not just mass exposure. Demographic exposure. See most artist don't get paid like a doctor or even a mechanic. You see the logo in my avatar? I might be lucky to get someone to pay 250 bucks for that out right. Thats if I can even find someone to buy it. Took me a while to render too. Could you support a family on that? No. Of course not. Now if I got a dollar every time it was posted or used then I might be able to make a living......maybe. This is what pirates do to guys like me. They take away that copyright dollar away and enjoy my work. Ive been ripped off more times then I can count too. Hell even a mobo maker borrowed HEAVY from that very design. If it was a paying job I would have pursued them too. But that logo was for the community. A gift.

Publishers are the devil. But without them I could not make a living. So excuse me if I value the food in my children's stomachs over people being able to download things they didn't pay for.

System Name Desktop|| Virtual Host 0
Processor Intel Core i5 2500-K @ 4.3ghz || 2x Xeon L5630 (total 8 cores, 16 threads)
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V || Dell PowerEdge R710 (Intel 5520 chipset)
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100 || Stock hotplug fans and passive heatsinks
Memory 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 || 12x4gb Hynix DDR3 1066 FB-DIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 760 Gaming Twin Frozr 4GB OC || Don't know, don't care
Storage Hitachi 7K3000 2TB || 6x300gb 15k rpm SAS internal hotswap, 12x3tb Seagate NAS drives in enclosure
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2349S || remote iDRAC KVM console
Case Antec P280 || Dell PowerEdge R710
Audio Device(s) HRT MusicStreamer II+ and Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 || Don't know, don't care
Power Supply SeaSonic X650 Gold || 2x870w hot-swappable
Mouse Logitech G500 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Keyboard Logitech G510 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 || VMware vSphere 6.0 with vCenter Server 6.0
Benchmark Scores Over 9000 on the scouter
Yup, I agree, it's this sense of entitlement from royalties that doesn't seem right, does it? Why do work only once and keep getting paid for it over and over and over...?
Devil's advocate here (ironic, I know): You don't keep getting paid unless you own the copyright. Often, somebody who didn't do any of the work keeps getting paid because they own the copyright and they're probably the ones that paid you in the first place.

Let's go back to the architect analogy that somebody mentioned. You get commissioned to design an apartment complex. Alright, you do the job and you get paid for it. Now, whoever paid for it owns the complex that is built and can collect money from anybody who lives there for as long as they live there, because they are only renting.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
You see the logo in my avatar? I might be lucky to get someone to pay 250 bucks for that out right. Thats if I can even find someone to buy it. Took me a while to render too. Could you support a family on that? No. Of course not. Now if I got a dollar every time it was posted or used then I might be able to make a living......maybe.

what about the kid at mcdonalds? he can work his ass off and not make a cent more than he would have otherwise. all day for $50, can you survive on that?

ok , an adult with a real job - I spend 4 hours fixing a computer, make $100 , and that's it. over. I can't ask for money EVERY time they use their computer, why should you be able to ask for money every time someone uses that image? i know it seems fair to you, but not to anyone else. anyone that spends the same time you spent, working at a factory or anything else - makes less, and only once. you're just upset that you have to work EVERY DAY, and keep doing it to make more money. welcome to life dude.

art is not a necessity, therefore if you want to make a living based on it you should be prepared to compromise and make less than someone working in a necessary career, like a doctor. it's ridiculous imo you would even use that as an example. i know you weren't comparing the importance of your jobs, but still.

if i missed your original point, i assume this summed it up:
So thank you pirates. Thank you for giving them a reason to take away more of my rights. Because your lazy and have no respect I now have to deal with more government intrusion. Joe Sixpack thanks you too. Thank you so much for your "Good Fight".

screw that. they would find a way to do it anyway, and blaming the existence of pirates for the insane practices government and corporations take is ridiculous. IT WILL NEVER BE ERADICATED, EVER. it's that simple. so to pretend as though point->counterpoint is sensible is false. And for the sake of argument, if it WERE eradicated - do you HONESTLY believe it would stop the practices of these companies? it's not about piracy but market control, you can't even resell a game - it's pretty clear imo that this would happen whether there are are 10 pirates or 10 million, and that is not ok.

8-tracks were going to KILL the music industry, then tapes, then cds. vhs and then dvds were going to KILL the movie industry. these are not nice groups of nice people just getting screwed by everyone, these are corporations that rip off their own artists, pissed that they aren't making ENOUGH constantly increasing profit, and paying the government to do something about it. pirates are an excuse, but if they didn't exist there would be another as there ALWAYS has been . though again, it's ridiculous to think they ever could not exist.

Last edited:

LordJummy

Motherboard RIII Formula
Software Win7Ult64Bit
Benchmark Scores ballz
I don't follow the tree analogy. Trees grow by themselves, pirates don't. Would there be as issue if there were no pirates? No, probably not. There would not be a reason to go after them, but now they do exist.

LOL what?

Wait, so you're saying pirates don't grow? Are they not from seed, which is germinated, and then grown? I don't understand what you are saying. Besides the origin of the tree is irrelevant. (trees and humans grow, and they are shaped by the environment around them. not that it has anything to do with this analogy) The analogy was about setting BLAME. I'm guessing you didn't notice?

I know pirating better then anyone on this forum. This is why I know the mentality behind it. You're not fooling anyone. If you pirate your a lazy thief. End of story. No matter how many times you repeat the Robin Hood fantasy its still theft. No matter how you paint yourselves as "freedom fighters" your thieves. There are few on here that are open about it. At least I can respect them. They know what they are. The ones I have issue with are the ones trying to justify their laziness. Trying to be hero's for being bums.

Your point of view and argument on pirates seems "lazy" to me. Just because you were a lazy thief when you pirated does not mean everyone else is the same. Some people pirate because they are lazy, some because they are poor. Others pirate out of compulsion, and then others pirate to sample works of art (music, movies, books) before buying.

Your post indicates you've done a LARGE amount of pirating. You hate pirates. Therefore you hate yourself.

You're projecting yourself on to others, and what seems to be internal self loathing. Who here is claiming to be a "Freedom fighter", and what does that have anything to do with the subject at hand?

I don't see any relevancy to your arguments. I just see an emotional outcry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
LOL what?

Wait, so you're saying pirates don't grow? Are they not from seed, which is germinated, and then grown? I don't understand what you are saying. Besides the origin of the tree is irrelevant. (trees and humans grow, and they are shaped by the environment around them. not that it has anything to do with this analogy) The analogy was about setting BLAME. I'm guessing you didn't notice?

I just thought it was a bad analogy is all.

System Name Benny
Processor Phenom II 1055t @ 3.3GHz; 300x11; 1.380v; NB 2700; HT 2400
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair IV Formula (2002 BIOS)
Cooling Thermalright TRUE 120 Black + 2 Xilence Red Wing PWM 120mm (push/pull) + polycarbonate fan holders
Memory 8GB GeIL Ultra 2133MHZ C9 running at 1600MHz @ 7-7-7-21 1T 1.5v
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr II GTX470 @ Stock w/CPU fan cable-tied on, as one of the GPU fans broke.
Storage 60GB OCZ Agility3 (OS);500GB WDC Grn; 1x1TB WDC Blk (Backup)
Display(s) ASUS PA823Q
Case Silverstone Raven 2 (all cables custom sleeved with velcro mod on side panel...)
Audio Device(s) X-Fi (Onboard) + Harmon Kardon HK6100 amp powering JVC HA-RX700's with Zalman mic
Power Supply Corsair HX650W
Software Win7 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores No benchies so making this space useful! Corsair M90, Logitech G19. Phobya FlexLight LED's (gawjus)
Well, I'm absolutely sick of seeing people condone piracy. Maybe if a company pulls some dirty underhanded tactic to get revenge on pirates and actually gets away with it, maybe the situation would be better. But oh no, it seems criminals should be allowed to get away with torrenting forever :rolleyes:
It's a shame that some people believe "pirates are right for downloading illegal content but companys are wrong by trying to go after them." Even if they do use the dirtiest tactics.
I just wish a quick death to all torrents :laugh:

LordJummy

Motherboard RIII Formula
Software Win7Ult64Bit
Benchmark Scores ballz
Well, I'm absolutely sick of seeing people condone piracy. Maybe if a company pulls some dirty underhanded tactic to get revenge on pirates and actually gets away with it, maybe the situation would be better. But oh no, it seems criminals should be allowed to get away with torrenting forever :rolleyes:
It's a shame that some people believe "pirates are right for downloading illegal content but companys are wrong by trying to go after them." Even if they do use the dirtiest tactics.
I just wish a quick death to all torrents :laugh:

This is insanity. You think that suing a bunch of random people for thousands of dollars (which they don't have) is going to HELP? Are you being sarcastic? Please tell me you are joking around.

I don't think this is about justifying piracy. (Piracy is wrong) This is about a specific group of people using an extremely unethical approach to sue possibly innocent people, and all because the movie sucked and they didn't make their money back? You actually think that action is justified?

BTW torrenting is not illegal. bittorrent is a genius method of distributing files over a peer to peer network, which reduces the need for costly dedicated file servers, etc. It promotes redundancy, speed, and anonymity. There is nothing bad about it. That's like saying cars should be made illegal because bank robbers use them to escape. It's just a means of transport. People will always abuse things and exploit them for their personal gain. It doesn't mean everyone using it is bad. I use torrents to distribute files and OS distributions and such, as it gives me an easy way to have redundancy.

your summation makes it quite obvious you have no clue what i or anyone else has been saying, so i don't even know why i bothered to respond.

That's exactly what I thought before posting, but I feel I have an obligation to speak up when someone posts something ignorant and just plain wrong. Bad information is worse than no information sometimes.

I just thought it was a bad analogy is all.

You thought wrong. You completely misunderstood the analogy. Your replies to me so far have been of sub-trolling quality. Just PM me next time if you have confusion with something like this.

Last edited:
System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
Well, I'm absolutely sick of seeing people condone piracy.

it's not about condoning it, but rather recognizing that it does exist, and always will exist. with that in mind it only makes sense to go about trying to stop them rationally, without screwing up their consumers machines, or suing people who did nothing wrong.

It's a shame that some people believe "pirates are right

your summation makes it quite obvious you have no clue what i or anyone else has been saying, so i don't even know why i bothered to respond, but to elaborate:

if you saw a man you knew to be a pedophile, being beaten to death in the street - would you intervene? i would hope so. yes the man has a disgusting problem but he does not deserve a beating death.

so if you intervened, does that mean you support his pedophilia? i don't think so.

we ALL agree piracy is wrong, you don't need to keep reiterating that. that part is accepted and agreed upon, but with that in mind - are the tactics effective or harmful? is it wrong to speak about that simply because the piracy was wrong in the first place? i don't think so. maybe you would have let the man be beaten to death to make a point instead, idk.

Last edited:
System Name Benny
Processor Phenom II 1055t @ 3.3GHz; 300x11; 1.380v; NB 2700; HT 2400
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair IV Formula (2002 BIOS)
Cooling Thermalright TRUE 120 Black + 2 Xilence Red Wing PWM 120mm (push/pull) + polycarbonate fan holders
Memory 8GB GeIL Ultra 2133MHZ C9 running at 1600MHz @ 7-7-7-21 1T 1.5v
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr II GTX470 @ Stock w/CPU fan cable-tied on, as one of the GPU fans broke.
Storage 60GB OCZ Agility3 (OS);500GB WDC Grn; 1x1TB WDC Blk (Backup)
Display(s) ASUS PA823Q
Case Silverstone Raven 2 (all cables custom sleeved with velcro mod on side panel...)
Audio Device(s) X-Fi (Onboard) + Harmon Kardon HK6100 amp powering JVC HA-RX700's with Zalman mic
Power Supply Corsair HX650W
Software Win7 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores No benchies so making this space useful! Corsair M90, Logitech G19. Phobya FlexLight LED's (gawjus)
This is insanity.

YES!

your summation makes it quite obvious you have no clue what i or anyone else has been saying, so i don't even know why i bothered to respond.

I haven't even read half of the posts in this thread; my post wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. I just wanted to feed the troll/s.

if you saw a man you knew to be a pedophile, being beaten to death in the street - would you intervene? i would hope so. yes the man has a disgusting problem but he does not deserve a beating death.

so if you intervened, does that mean you support his pedophilia? i don't think so.

I would join in kicking the f*ck out of him.

Seems you guys don't know me as much as I though you did :(

DaC

Processor Q6600 @3.6
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
Cooling Xigmatek S1283
Memory 8gb Crucial Red Tracer
Video Card(s) ASUS TOP HD 4850 512
Storage Seagate 160GB 7200.11 / 320GB 7200.10 / 500GB 7200.11 / 1TB 7200.12
Display(s) 17" AOC
Audio Device(s) ESI Julia -> Zero DaC -> Senn HD650
Power Supply 550W Seven team

LordJummy

Motherboard RIII Formula
Software Win7Ult64Bit
Benchmark Scores ballz
YES!

I haven't even read half of the posts in this thread; my post wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. I just wanted to feed the troll/s.

I would join in kicking the f*ck out of him.

Seems you guys don't know me as much as I though you did :(

So in short, you are trolling. That's great. Maybe stick to the nonsense forum for that?

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
You thought wrong. You completely misunderstood the analogy. Your replies to me so far have been of sub-trolling quality. Just PM me next time if you have confusion with something like this.

Sigh, I did not misunderstand (well I did to begin with but then I read it again). I just thought it wasn't good. But whatever.

So, what should we do about pirates then? I think the IP thing will be redone sometime in the future so that we will be held responsible for our own networks.