• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Constant "EDP Other" under RING in ThrottleStop

mean

Hello

I have a problem with my laptop which is current edp throttling. I did undervolt my laptop due to high temperatures. İt was great at first ı was playing all games with 78 degrees and my core clock was nearly 4ghz. But recently current edp throttling came up and I couldn't solve it. I even decreased my cpu's core speed to 3.5 ghz but it didn't work either.

The EDP throttling constantly continue so I will be glad if you can help me.

Note: I did send my laptop to warranty to clean this laptop and renew the thermal paste about 3 weeks ago.I think that they used poor component. Probably I need to change my thermal paste with a really good one.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 265
  • 1.png
    1.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 275
  • 3.png
    3.png
    75.9 KB · Views: 265

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Intel does not properly document EDP OTHER in their publicly available documentation. This type of throttling is usually caused by the PP0 Current limit being set too low but it could be caused by anything.

Do you have any other CPU control software running on your computer? Any fan control software from the manufacturer or anything like that? Exit HWMonitor when monitoring with ThrottleStop.

I have never seen the PP0 Current Limit set to 350 with the Lock option checked. Did you do that when trying to solve this problem?

I would exit ThrottleStop and delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file. Completely shut down your computer so the CPU can reset itself. When you boot back up and run ThrottleStop, it will create a new ThrottleStop.INI configuration file with default settings that it reads from the CPU. These settings are what the BIOS set your computer to. After you do this, you will need to re-enter your undervolt settings. When you open the TPL window, what does it show for default settings? Most modern laptops are not locking the PP0 Current Limit. Does Limit Reasons always show EDP OTHER or only after you start playing?

Your temperatures are not great but they should not have anything to do with the EDP OTHER problem that you are having. What laptop model do you have?

mean

Thank you for the wuick reply.

I set PP0 current limit to 350 just to solve but it didn't work. I used to use intel xtu to undervolt my cpu but I deleted that.

I did delete the configuration file and then did the things which you wrote. Conclusion is same with lower core speeds.

My Laptop is Asus x571gd with i7 9750h + gtx 1050 + 16gb ram.

Without undervolting these are the bios default settings.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 222
  • 2.png
    2.png
    70.4 KB · Views: 231
  • 3.png
    3.png
    75.9 KB · Views: 229

unclewebb

lower core speeds
The screenshots you posted appear to be from two different games. That might have something to do with the different core speeds.

The PP0 Current Limit is the only thing I know of that triggers EDP OTHER throttling across all three domains. If the CPU speeds up when you go from 130 to 350 then keep going higher. I think the max is 1023. If you go too high, ThrottleStop will adjust it to the maximum value.

Many of the settings within the CPU have a duplicate setting hidden somewhere else but with the PP0 Current Limit, this is the one and only setting that I know about. I have never seen throttling when this is set to 350. There is either a hidden setting or your CPU is reporting very high current or the OTHER part of EDP OTHER is causing this throttling. Not too sure. Power consumption and current flow are never measured. They are calculated using a formula that approximates these values. Something seems to have gone wrong with this approximation.

Edit - There is a duplicate current limit in the memory mapped IO located at FED159B0.
If RWEverything works on your computer, you can read this value to see what it is set to.

1602873299745.png

My laptop is set to 800002A8

The first 8 is the lock bit. It is possible that your laptop has set this lock bit. If that is the case, changing the current limit in ThrottleStop will not have any effect. You would be able to go lower than this locked value but you would not be able to go higher. On my laptop, the current limit is set to 2A8.

0x2A8 = 680 decimal
680 / 8 = 85 Amps

If RWEverything crashes, let me know and I will come up with a plan B to see what this register is set to on your computer.

Last edited:

mean

The screenshots you posted appear to be from two different games. That might have something to do with the different core speeds.

The PP0 Current Limit is the only thing I know of that triggers EDP OTHER throttling across all three domains. If the CPU speeds up when you go from 130 to 350 then keep going higher. I think the max is 1023. If you go too high, ThrottleStop will adjust it to the maximum value.

Many of the settings within the CPU have a duplicate setting hidden somewhere else but with the PP0 Current Limit, this is the one and only setting that I know about. I have never seen throttling when this is set to 350. There is either a hidden setting or your CPU is reporting very high current or the OTHER part of EDP OTHER is causing this throttling. Not too sure. Power consumption and current flow are never measured. They are calculated using a formula that approximates these values. Something seems to have gone wrong with this approximation.

Edit - There is a duplicate current limit in the memory mapped IO located at FED159B0.
If RWEverything works on your computer, you can read this value to see what it is set to.

View attachment 172040

My laptop is set to 800002A8

The first 8 is the lock bit. It is possible that your laptop has set this lock bit. If that is the case, changing the current limit in ThrottleStop will not have any effect. You would be able to go lower than this locked value but you would not be able to go higher. On my laptop, the current limit is set to 2A8.

0x2A8 = 680 decimal
680 / 8 = 85 Amps

If RWEverything crashes, let me know and I will come up with a plan B to see what this register is set to on your computer.

When I changed PP0 current limit there is no gain of core speed. Actually I don't get this EDP limit throttling when I stressed my CPU. I got this throttling only during gaming. Can be any affect of Gpu Tweak or Msi Afterburner ?

I couldn't understand what to do on your edit part.

Thank you again.

Attachments

• resim_2020-10-17_120832.png
    resim_2020-10-17_120832.png
    648.1 KB · Views: 125

unclewebb

Based on your testing, it looks like your Asus laptop might be changing the secondary CPU current limit to a lower value when it senses that your GPU is active. It is not unusual for manufacturers to do tricks like this without ever informing users that they are not getting the full performance that they paid for. I have a Lenovo laptop that goes from 3400 MHz to 2400 MHz soon after the Nvidia GPU goes active. Most users never notice so manufacturers get away with tricks like this.

I couldn't understand what to do
No worries. Using RW Everything to find a hidden memory location is a little over the top for most users. I will send you a message with a download link to see if we can get your problem solved.

mean

Based on your testing, it looks like your Asus laptop might be changing the secondary CPU current limit to a lower value when it senses that your GPU is active. It is not unusual for manufacturers to do tricks like this without ever informing users that they are not getting the full performance that they paid for. I have a Lenovo laptop that goes from 3400 MHz to 2400 MHz soon after the Nvidia GPU goes active. Most users never notice so manufacturers get away with tricks like this.

No worries. Using RW Everything to find a hidden memory location is a little over the top for most users. I will send you a message with a download link to see if we can get your problem solved.
I did what you said. But the situation is not different. I didn't have this limit as long as I did an overclocking on my gpu. I'am thinking to uninstall Afterburner and GPU tweak. I dont think that it is gonna work. Therefore, do you know how to set the cpu settings and gpu settings all default without formatting my laptop.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 154
  • 2.png
    2.png
    70.4 KB · Views: 157
  • 3.png
    3.png
    75.9 KB · Views: 143

unclewebb

For the CPU, exit ThrottleStop, delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file and turn your computer off. When you restart your computer, your CPU will be at its default settings. Your GPU will also be back to its default settings as long as you have removed and do not run Afterburner and GPU tweak.

theoverpowered

@unclewebb i have acer nitro 5 i7-9750h with rtx2060 and i have the same problem with EDP OTHER on 3labels like @mean
Curiosity when EDP Other appear on all 3 labels - battery drains to 95%.
PP0 Current Limit is set by default 128, my changes do nothing.

I used wattmetter to recognize what is going on
When im in heavy load in game my rig is using ~160w after a while when battery drain, AC start jumping from 130w to 175W! exact this is causing EDP Other on 3 labels. AC is trying to recharge the battery but cant. Who design this shit, combined power with using battery, horrible idea.

My workaround to this problem was change tdp 45w to 38w on CPU, stupid but works. Can i get rid of this?

Last edited:

xmailon

Your CPU is running at 4.0 GHz or better. What CPU do you have? What you are doing with it?

I guess it looks good.
Hello I have an Acer Nitro 5 515-54 i5 9300h laptop.
I cannot set the proshot offset partition.
Can you help.
Note: My bios version is the latest.

1607007700682.png

The processor slows down as the temperature passes 92 degrees Celsius very comfortably and I'm running games and benchmark tests at 3.2 GHz.

unclewebb

@xmailon - Acer appears to have locked the PROCHOT Offset value to 8. That is what the lock icon means. It is already locked.

If Acer locks this register in the BIOS, you cannot use ThrottleStop to unlock it or to set it to a different value. It looks like you are out of luck.

xmailon

@xmailon - Acer PROCHOT Ofset değerini 8'e kilitledi. Kilit simgesinin anlamı budur. Zaten kilitli.

Acer bu kaydı BIOS'ta kilitlerse, kilidini açmak veya farklı bir değere ayarlamak için ThrottleStop'u kullanamazsınız. Görünüşe göre şansın yaver gitmedi.
Eğer bios versiyonunu düşürürsem, kilit kaybolabilir mi?

xmailon

You can try but probably not.

Acer probably locked PROCHOT Offset in all BIOS versions. Some companies do this.
Sir, I have one more question.
My graphics card usage in games is very low. How Can I Solve This?
In general, the usage of the graphics card in every game does not exceed 60%. I was traveling with 40% on Warzone and my processor was 80%.
My video card is gtx 1660ti

Acapovilla

Hi Unclewebb,

first of all thanks for all the information share on this thread, some of it were usefull to lower my temps from almost 100ºC to 80/90ºC range on load and 35/45 when idle or normal use.

Thought, i have a different situation here... Few weeks ago i got some updates automatically downloaded and installed on my almost new Dell G5 15 5590 with i5 9300h processor with 2.4GHz base clock and 4.1GHz when turbo boost (bough it 3 months ago in USA and shipped to Argentina). While playing COD I got a BSOD with Clock Watchdog Timeout error while i was changing the Antialiasing filter and then Whea uncorrectable error when trying to boot (BIOS will load but windows wouldn't get a chance). Searching on the web I saw a lot of thinks regarding processor problems from drivers to hardware malfunction. Laptop would boot on safe mode but when booting again normaly it would crash. I finally got a solution that was disabling turbo boost and speed shift from BIOS. This helped to stabilize the laptop but resigning performanse when it comes to playing.

I downloaded Throttlestop and after a lot of tests managed to enable both Turbo Boost and Speed Shift but setting the processor to a max of 3.8GHz frequency. If i try to set a notch higher it will crash to the BSOD mentioned before. Also if setting processor to 3.8GHz and undervolting Core Cache it will also crash. If i overvolt Core Cache within 0.50mv and set processors to 3.9GHz and try a TS Bench it will pass 3.8ghz but after a few seconds it will crash. It seems i can undervolt CPU Core but i read that this doesn't affect since CPU Core and CPU Cache must be set equally. Setting non turbo ratio either 0 or 24 doesn't have any effect at all.

Any idea what it could be? I tried:

1. rolling back drivers.
2. rolling back BIOS and ME firmware
3. disabling intel dynamic platform and thermal framework and other intel drivers related to power management.
4. contacted Dell and Intel support. Non of them gave me a good reason or solution to fix the problem. Dell says the laptop must be in USA to have it's warranty, Intel said to use OEMs drivers or speak with them to find a fix.
5. trying to debug the dump files a have to see what the problem is related (kernel and intel genuine related).
6. see if the PSU adapter it's working properly... seems so, used a tester and no problem found.
7. tested ram memory but working fine.
8. run verifier to check drivers faulty.
9. reinstalling Windows (i installed an old version of windows 10, i guess it was version 1804 but the same night i installed it after a few windows updates it crashed again).

Since this problem happens when trying to pass 3.8ghz i think it must be related to voltage.

Without further ado, thanks for you time.

1607038710053.png

Last edited:

imation

Hi
I have massive performance problems with my Surface Book 2, Windows and all drivers including BIOS is up to date.
Here a screenshot with EDP flashing in red.
I am a standard office user (office suite, browser, no games).

Any ideas ?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    4.3 MB · Views: 116

unclewebb

Here a screenshot with EDP flashing in red.
If you lower the CPU core and cache voltage, the 8565U will run cooler or faster. I would start testing with the CPU cache set to an offset of -75 mV and the CPU core set to an offset of -125 mV.

Post a screenshot of the TPL window. Try increasing the PP0 Current Limit in this window.

The cooling in your laptop is not enough to get maximum performance out of this CPU. You can try replacing the thermal paste but that is not going to solve your problem if the heatsink is under designed.

Kokkinos

Hallo.
Can you please check my logs? have constantly EPD other under ring, also i have edp other under core and gpu while gaming. My cpu is 8300h (lenovo legion y530 with 1050ti) With speedshift enabled i think i have lower fps in gaming.All drivers-windows-bios etc are fully updated. Can you advice me what to do at throttlestop please ? Also Iccmax is dangerous to increase? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 2020-12-10.txt
    125.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 137
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 142
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 139
Hallo.
Can you please check my logs? have constantly EPD other under ring, also i have edp other under core and gpu while gaming. My cpu is 8300h (lenovo legion y530 with 1050ti) With speedshift enabled i think i have lower fps in gaming.All drivers-windows-bios etc are fully updated. Can you advice me what to do at throttlestop please ? Also Iccmax is dangerous to increase? Thanks in advance
Increase the PP0 limit from 130 to 140 or 150. This would eliminate the three simultaneous EDP warnings.

Kokkinos

Increase the PP0 limit from 130 to 140 or 150. This would eliminate the three simultaneous EDP warnings.
Is is safe to increase PP0 limit from 130 to 140 or 150? ( i dodnt know if that matters my psu is 135 watt)

Also any other recommend for change in throttlestop? (undervolt is stable at -130 but at -140 is not stable)

unclewebb

Can you please check my logs?
It looks good. Were you playing a game during that log file? Your CPU was running at a good speed and the temperatures were great.

You will get better results if you reduce your cache offset undervolt to -120 mV or -125 mV. This will allow you to set your core offset to a much bigger number and still be stable. There is no need to set these two voltages equal to each other. Use Cinebench R20 to test your voltages.

Many 8th Gen mobile processors perform their best with the cache at -125 mV and the core at -200 mV. Setting the cache too high is what causes instability problems. If you have problems when increasing the core to a bigger number, stop and use less cache offset.
is safe to increase PP0 limit
No one knows for sure. If safety is important to you, do not use ThrottleStop. Run your computer at its default settings. It will consume more power, run hot and perform poorly but it will be safe. It still might die a year or two from now at the safe default settings. Using ThrottleStop might help your CPU live a longer life. I have been using ThrottleStop on my Lenovo laptop for 7 years to maximize performance. It still runs great. At default settings, my laptop runs like crap.

In the Options window I would change the PROCHOT Offset value from 6 to 3 and I would check the Lock PROCHOT Offset box.

In the FIVR window try increasing the IccMax value from 86 to 150. That also might help with the EDP warnings. If it was my laptop, I would set all of the IccMax values to 255.75 so they do not interfere with performance. There is no need for all of these extra throttling schemes that manufacturers like to use. Your Intel CPU is well protected. It does not need 10 different reasons to throttle.

Edit - Also check the FIVR Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits box. Intel CPUs use multiple turbo power limits. Once again, there is no need for this redundancy. One set of turbo power limits is enough.

Kokkinos

It looks good. Were you playing a game during that log file? Your CPU was running at a good speed and the temperatures were great.

You will get better results if you reduce your cache offset undervolt to -120 mV or -125 mV. This will allow you to set your core offset to a much bigger number and still be stable. There is no need to set these two voltages equal to each other. Use Cinebench R20 to test your voltages.

Thanks for the fast answer
unclewebb
I have spend a long time reading your answers in this forum and i definitely trust and appreciate your answer.

Yes the log is created while gaming (The Outer Worlds) at very high settings for stressing my laptop.

edit : I have also repaste my laptop with thermal grizzly kryo.

I will make all the changes you said and i will provide feedback.

Once again thank you man. if i could i would send beers.

Vangelis.

Last edited: