• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

4870x2 Resolution out of Range Error

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
At 86 my whole system will crash and reboot.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
kompulsive,

Your posts does come off as peculiar to me. However, I've been keeping tabs on this thread and it appears that you may have some sort of registry issue. There was no response to my previous post when I asked you to set the monitor to 59Hz. Regardless, after looking at your most recent pic it appears that you are either:
A. Using dual monitors (if so disable the 2ndary monitor)
B. Have duplicate driver entries in the registry
(IE: why I say the registry maybe the problem).

Here is what you should do. Uninstall the drivers you are currently using

Reboot

Open the Command Prompt Window (using the Run As Administrator option) & enter the command: SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1.

Afterwards type devmgmt.msc (this will take you to the Device Manager)

Choose View, Show Hidden Devices

The new instance of Device Manager will now show “ghosted” entries for devices that were once present. Go to your Monitors and Display Adapters and see if there are any duplicate ghost (grayed out) entries for your Monitor and your Video Card (4870 X2). Delete those duplicate entries. Do not delete the entry that is visible or in this case appear to be bold typed.

Next go to Sound, Video and Game Controllers and look for ghosted, duplicate entries for ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio... Delete them (making sure you don't delete the one that appears to be in bold text.

Once completed Reboot

Go to Start, Run and type Regedit (with adminstrator rights). Go to Edit, Find and type in "DefaultSettings.VRefresh" (without the quotes). Which is found in HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\CONTROL\VIDEO. See if it reads 59 or 60. If it's 59 change it to 60 by right clicking on the dword (which is DefaultSettings.VRefresh) and changing the Hexidecimal from 3b to 3c (yes a lower case c). Or you can click on "decimal" and change the number from 59 to 60. Either way should work. After you make the change make sure it now reads 60.

Next hit the F3 key and look for other entries that may read 59. If so, change those as well.

Once completed exit the registry (make sure you made no mistakes). Double check your work.

Next Reboot your PC

Once the PC is rebooted now use Driver Cleaner (or whatever program you are using) and clean out all Radeon related drivers, files, etc

Reboot again

Make sure you have either .netframe work 2.0 + .netframe works 2.0 SP1 or .netframe work 3.5. Don't have both installed.

Make sure Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) or Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Feature Pack Redistributable Package (x64) installed on your PC. I believe that Visual C++ 2005 is installed when the cat is installed. However, check to see what you have.

Once rebooted, install Cat 9.1. Follow all instructions.

You may or may not be asked to reboot your PC. In any case once reboot your PC one more time. See if there is any improvement.

kompulsive

System Name The Blue Lagoon
Processor Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz @ 3.8GHz
Motherboard ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58
Cooling Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme
Memory OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB 7200RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
Display(s) BenQ E2400HD
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Xclio Greatpower 850w
Software Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP1
Well I would recomend the 8.12's with hot fix like you had and getting the GPU fan Set to manual and set at at least 50% if not higher...Your card was at a hot temprature of 86:eek:26% fan equals NO GOOD!

I suspect your cards fan is too low and your card is getting way to hot to act correctly ...thank you for the screen shot of the overdrive as thats what I was looking for.

First things first, do I switch back to 9.1 or what? These problems in Device Manager with the drivers not being installed correctly after fresh install and reboot were never happening before with 9.1. I was only getting the "Out of Range" error. It appears my problems are multiplying.

Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
First things first, do I switch back to 9.1 or what? These problems in Device Manager with the drivers not being installed correctly after fresh install and reboot were never happening before with 9.1. I was only getting the "Out of Range" error. It appears my problems are multiplying.

After you have all drivers cleaned and CCC uninstalled you should not have an issue running the 8.12's w/hotfix....when I load them after reboot I get an error too on first reboot ..something about my drivers not being recognized by the CCC (something like that ) but then another reboot and thats error was gone for good ...Listen I have to leave for a few hours or so ,but when I get back I will trouble shoot with you right down to the nitty gritty.....We will get to the bottom of this...I know you want to be up and running so what ever you do between now and when I get back do it with 100% fan (just for now) as 86 is way too hot.

kompulsive

Display(s) BenQ E2400HD
Audio Device(s) Onboard
kompulsive,

Your posts does come off as peculiar to me. However, I've been keeping tabs on this thread and it appears that you may have some sort of registry issue. There was no response to my previous post when I asked you to set the monitor to 59Hz. Regardless, after looking at your most recent pic it appears that you are either:

Reboot

Open the Command Prompt Window (using the Run As Administrator option) & enter the command: SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1.

The new instance of Device Manager will now show “ghosted” entries for devices that were once present. Go to your Monitors and Display Adapters and see if there are any duplicate ghost (grayed out) entries for your Monitor and your Video Card (4870 X2). Delete those duplicate entries. Do not delete the entry that is visible or in this case appear to be bold typed.

Next go to Sound, Video and Game Controllers and look for ghosted, duplicate entries for ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio... Delete them (making sure you don't delete the one that appears to be in bold text.

Once completed Reboot

Go to Start, Run and type Regedit (with adminstrator rights). Go to Edit, Find and type in "DefaultSettings.VRefresh" (without the quotes). Which is found in HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\CONTROL\VIDEO. See if it reads 59 or 60. If it's 59 change it to 60 by right clicking on the dword (which is DefaultSettings.VRefresh) and changing the Hexidecimal from 3b to 3c (yes a lower case c). Or you can click on "decimal" and change the number from 59 to 60. Either way should work. After you make the change make sure it now reads 60.

Next hit the F3 key and look for other entries that may read 59. If so, change those as well.

Once completed exit the registry (make sure you made no mistakes). Double check your work.

Next Reboot your PC

Once the PC is rebooted now use Driver Cleaner (or whatever program you are using) and clean out all Radeon related drivers, files, etc

Reboot again

Make sure you have either .netframe work 2.0 + .netframe works 2.0 SP1 or .netframe work 3.5. Don't have both installed.

Make sure Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) or Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Feature Pack Redistributable Package (x64) installed on your PC. I believe that Visual C++ 2005 is installed when the cat is installed. However, check to see what you have.

You may or may not be asked to reboot your PC. In any case once reboot your PC one more time. See if there is any improvement.

I am not using dual monitors. Also, I did get to 59Hz ONE TIME successfully and when I did that 1920x1080 was working and I was not getting the "Out of Range" error. That is, until I ran S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky which crashed everything and made all of my problems start again. (Please read up to see where I had some success with 59Hz).

I am printing off your instructions right now and I will follow them exactly.

kompulsive

Display(s) BenQ E2400HD
Audio Device(s) Onboard
After you have all drivers cleaned and CCC uninstalled you should not have an issue running the 8.12's w/hotfix....when I load them after reboot I get an error too on first reboot ..something about my drivers not being recognized by the CCC (something like that ) but then another reboot and thats error was gone for good ...Listen I have to leave for a few hours or so ,but when I get back I will trouble shoot with you right down to the nitty gritty.....We will get to the bottom of this...I know you want to be up and running so what ever you do between now and when I get back do it with 100% fan (just for now) as 86 is way too hot.

Ok, so you are suggesting that I run 8.12 instead of 9.1? If so, I will try this after I try EastCoasthandle's suggestion.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
I am not using dual monitors. Also, I did get to 59Hz ONE TIME successfully and when I did that 1920x1080 was working and I was not getting the "Out of Range" error. That is, until I ran S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky which crashed everything and made all of my problems start again. (Please read up to see where I had some success with 59Hz).

I am printing off your instructions right now and I will follow them exactly.

Yes, I'm aware of your attempt to use 59Hz thus the reason why it's my opinion you may have a registry problem. When I stated there was no response to my post, I didn't see any reply to it. IE: quick scan as this is a pretty long thread.

System Name JIM LAHEY
Processor CORE I9 9900K
Motherboard ASROCK Z390 TAICHI
Cooling COUGAR HELOR 360 AIO
Memory 32GB TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 ULTRA
Storage SAMSUNG EVO 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG STRIX 4K UG27UQR
Case THERMALTAKE VIEW 37
Audio Device(s) STEELSERIES ARCTIS 7 WIRELESS
Power Supply EVGA SUPERNOVA G+ 1000
Mouse STEELSERIES RIVAL 600
Keyboard STEELSERIES APEX 7 TKL
Software WINDOWS 10 ENTERPRISE
Benchmark Scores WUT
Are you running two 4870x2's? And yes please make your fan setting at 50% and more while gaming I set mine and 60/70% it's loud but cool :)

kompulsive

Display(s) BenQ E2400HD
Audio Device(s) Onboard
kompulsive,

Reboot

Once completed Reboot

Next Reboot your PC

Reboot again

Ok. I am doing the first part of your instructions. I could not find any hidden devices. Also, my Monitor isn't even showing up after I uninstall the ATI drivers and software. Odd. Check the screenshot below.

I am continuing on to the second half of your instructions right now. I will report back.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Ok. I am doing the first part of your instructions. I could not find any hidden devices. Also, my Monitor isn't even showing up after I uninstall the ATI drivers and software. Odd. Check the screenshot below.

I am continuing on to the second half of your instructions right now. I will report back.

In this screen shot is the tab "view", click on it and select "Show Hidden Devices".

Addition:
Your Monitor is not detected because there is no Drivers installed for your monitor at this time. Or at the very least, your current monitor drivers are not detected by your OS. This is fine at the moment. What you need to do is uninstall any monitor drivers you may have installed before. Go to Start, Control Panel and Add or Remove Programs. See if there are any drivers already installed for your monitor. If so uninstall them.

Once you finish the 1st part (that you skipped because you didn't find the "Show Hidden Devices) complete the uninstall of your monitor drivers and reboot. IE: After you remove any duplicate, ghosted devices.

After the reboot you will need to install your monitor drivers (I am not sure if it matters before or after you install Cat 9.1 for Vista).

Last edited:

kompulsive

Display(s) BenQ E2400HD
Audio Device(s) Onboard
In this screen shot is the tab "view", click on it and select "Show Hidden Devices".

Addition:
Your Monitor is not detected because there is no Drivers installed for your monitor at this time. Or at the very least, your current monitor drivers are not detected by your OS. This is fine at the moment. What you need to do is uninstall any monitor drivers you may have installed before. Go to Start, Control Panel and Add or Remove Programs. See if there are any drivers already installed for your monitor. If so uninstall them.

Once you finish the 1st part (that you skipped because you didn't find the "Show Hidden Devices) complete the uninstall of your monitor drivers and reboot. IE: After you remove any duplicate, ghosted devices.

After the reboot you will need to install your monitor drivers (I am not sure if it matters before or after you install Cat 9.1 for Vista).

I did find the "Show Hidden Devices" option and that screenshot was taken with it selected. I am finishing up the fresh 9.1 install as we speak. I found many registry entries that said "59" and I did change them to "60". I am hoping that this may fix the problem. I'll find out momentarily.

Also, I only have one 4870X2.

System Name JIM LAHEY
Processor CORE I9 9900K
Storage SAMSUNG EVO 1TB
Case THERMALTAKE VIEW 37
Benchmark Scores WUT
Got ya I thought maybe you were running two.

kompulsive

Display(s) BenQ E2400HD
Audio Device(s) Onboard
I just booted into Windows after following all of EastCoasthandle's instructions. I went into Device Manager and here is what it says...

This problem in the Device Manager, "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" is a new issue as of late last night or today. Also, you can see that the "Monitor" tab magically appeared as soon as I installed the 9.1 drivers and it shows the BenQ driver is already installed. I'm still getting the "Out of Range" errors. Unfortunately the registry editing did not stop them.

/facepalm

I suppose next on the agenda is trying to get rid of this error in the "Device Manager." What should I do?

System Name home brew
Processor Intel Corei7 3770K OC @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600 GSKILL
Video Card(s) Powercolor Radeon 7970, MSI Radeon 7970
Storage Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240gb. 2 TB Hdd.
Display(s) 3x24inch Dell Ultra IPS
Case CM storm trooper
Power Supply Antec Quattro OC ed. 1200w
Software Windows 7 Business x64
Benchmark Scores vantage: P43089
I just booted into Windows after following all of EastCoasthandle's instructions. I went into Device Manager and here is what it says...

This problem in the Device Manager, "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" is a new issue as of late last night or today. Also, you can see that the "Monitor" tab magically appeared as soon as I installed the 9.1 drivers and it shows the BenQ driver is already installed. I'm still getting the "Out of Range" errors. Unfortunately the registry editing did not stop them.

/facepalm

I suppose next on the agenda is trying to get rid of this error in the "Device Manager." What should I do?

Something has to be corrupted on the card, unless you're still pulling drivers from sapphire. I assume you have tried the ati ones from their website? Cause my card doesn't do this so how could it be drivers

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180

/facepalm

Did you try rebooting? In all it appears to me you may need to reinstall your OS. But before doing that you should try another monitor just to see what happens.

Why haven't you filled out your System Specs?

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Something has to be corrupted on the card, unless you're still pulling drivers from sapphire. I assume you have tried the ati ones from their website? Cause my card doesn't do this so how could it be drivers

I also don't believe it's the drivers. Many reported that Cat 9.1 has fixed their code 43 error. Although I am taking a guess it maybe either:
-His OS
-His monitor
-His video card

But before reinstalling the OS or RMA the video card he should try another monitor (pretty long thread so I didn't see this mentioned). This was posted over at AMD regarding install issues though. It worked for others it did not for others.

Last edited:

kompulsive

Display(s) BenQ E2400HD
Audio Device(s) Onboard
I just booted into Windows after my second reboot after the fresh 9.1 install. Now everything except the mouse is really dark. I have experienced this before and I do not know what it is causing it. The error in the "Device Manager" is still shown as well.

I'm beginning to think there is an issue with my card physically. Could it be overheating? Can I manually attempt to turn up the fan in CCC? How can I get the error in the "Device Manager" to go away?

System Name home brew
Processor Intel Corei7 3770K OC @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600 GSKILL
Video Card(s) Powercolor Radeon 7970, MSI Radeon 7970
Storage Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240gb. 2 TB Hdd.
Display(s) 3x24inch Dell Ultra IPS
Case CM storm trooper
Power Supply Antec Quattro OC ed. 1200w
Software Windows 7 Business x64
Benchmark Scores vantage: P43089
I just booted into Windows after my second reboot after the fresh 9.1 install. Now everything except the mouse is really dark. I have experienced this before and I do not know what it is causing it. The error in the "Device Manager" is still shown as well.

I'm beginning to think there is an issue with my card physically. Could it be overheating? Can I manually attempt to turn up the fan in CCC? How can I get the error in the "Device Manager" to go away?

Yes, unlock overdrive mode by clicking the key or lock symbol. check enable manual fan control. I keep mine at 46%. not too loud, not too hot.

But I think its the card.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180

You will need to try another monitor. As posted earlier there is a forum over at AMD that attempts to address the issue of a bad install here. Here are my suggestions:
A. Look into the thread I mentioned earlier
B. Try another compatible monitor.
C. Reinstall your OS if there is no improvements from another monitor
D. Exchange the video card

You seem to be the only person (so far) that's reported such a problem. That, to a degree, were someone can offer you any help (yes, I also read your thread over at [H].
It it not my intention to be "short" but this is all you can do at this point in time. Unless someone else has any other suggestions.

Edit:
Read up on this as well

Last edited:
System Name JIM LAHEY
Processor CORE I9 9900K
Storage SAMSUNG EVO 1TB
Case THERMALTAKE VIEW 37
Benchmark Scores WUT
no it has nothing to do with overheating. Something is corrupt with the card. You might have to reformat and start all over, like stated earlier try a different monitor and if It keeps
Giving you the error you know it's the video card. My sapphire 4870x2 does not do this so either your monitor or the card needs RMA'd it's not drivers or overheating it is one of the two Mentioned.

kompulsive

Display(s) BenQ E2400HD
Audio Device(s) Onboard
What the hell...

Just for the hell of it I uninstalled by monitor, deleted the drivers, went into CCC and tried to change the refresh rate from 60Hz to 59Hz, and it WORKED! My screen was still very dark until I decided to try the Unigine DX10 test again and to my surprised it WORKED, it did not give me the normal "Out of Range" error, and the proper brightness kicked in. After I left the utility, the brightness stayed at the correct level. So I decided to try World in Conflict, but it gave me the "Out of Range" error at 1920x1080 like it usually does. I checked the settings further and found that the refresh rate is set to 60Hz and there is no way to set it to 59Hz.

What the hell do I do now? I haven't rebooted yet to see if the "Device Manager" error will go away. Why is 1920X1080 working at 59Hz? I check "Information" in my monitor and it says 60Hz. This is so weird but I guess I'm making some kind of progress.

Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
You are running DVI to DVI?
Try switching ports on the 4870X2.
And get the fan speed set to manual and at least 50%.
Reboot after each change.

System Name JIM LAHEY
Processor CORE I9 9900K
Storage SAMSUNG EVO 1TB
Case THERMALTAKE VIEW 37
Benchmark Scores WUT
I told you earlier to switch up the fan speed to 50% it will run hot otherwise MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS!

kompulsive

Display(s) BenQ E2400HD
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Yes, I am running DVI to DVI. I will try switching DVI ports and rebooting after I post this. I just enabled manual fan control and have it set to 50%. According to GPU-Z, the GPU temperature has dropped about 13 degrees. It is sitting right around 40C right now at idle.

Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
Yes, I am running DVI to DVI. I will try switching DVI ports and rebooting after I post this. I just enabled manual fan control and have it set to 50%. According to GPU-Z, the GPU temperature has dropped about 13 degrees. It is sitting right around 40C right now at idle.

Thank god you have done the fan:toast: