• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD RX Vega Mining Performance Reportedly Doubled With Driver Updates

Idk man, I wanted to buy a RX570 to replace my old R9 270x but I can't. I have to settle for a gtx 1060 3gb.

And because of the nature of the mining business, they isn't a single partner who want to flood the market with GPU. One of the reason for the The video game krach of 1983 was that they didn't expected the trend to slow down. The market was overflooded with games that nobody would buy. So yhea, while the mining craze is alive making more gpu may looks like a profit, if it's going down the backlash will be hard.

That's if you assume mining will completely crash again. Look there will always be "booms and busts" like there are in any market, but at this point it has been like 5 years of constant mining. For the foreseeable future AMD/Nvidia need to assume miners will want to buy their cards.

It's not entirely impossible to make "mining cards" while protecting your exposure to risk. For instance I would recommend AMD make a Vega48 card with 4GB of HBM, lower clocks, a 30-day warranty, and only 2 display outputs for $350. This card would consist of AMD's absolute worst HBM and 14nmGF yields. Most gamer with half a brain would know it is worth the extra $50 to get more VRAM and 10% higher performance, but this card would be just as good for miners. More importantly though, if the mining market went through a "bust" period: AMD could simply drop the price to $299 and sell the card as a dirt cheap alternative to 1080p gamers with only 2 displays (And they wouldn't be losing money given the substantially reduced warranty and components).

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
That's if you assume mining will completely crash again. Look there will always be "booms and busts" like there are in any market, but at this point it has been like 5 years of constant mining. For the foreseeable future AMD/Nvidia need to assume miners will want to buy their cards.

It's not entirely impossible to make "mining cards" while protecting your exposure to risk. For instance I would recommend AMD make a Vega48 card with 4GB of HBM, lower clocks, a 30-day warranty, and only 2 display outputs for $350. This card would consist of AMD's absolute worst HBM and 14nmGF yields. Most gamer with half a brain would know it is worth the extra $50 to get more VRAM and 10% higher performance, but this card would be just as good for miners. More importantly though, if the mining market went through a "bust" period: AMD could simply drop the price to $299 and sell the card as a dirt cheap alternative to 1080p gamers with only 2 displays (And they wouldn't be losing money given the substantially reduced warranty and components).

VRAM requirements go up for mining purposes too , from what I heard 4GB will soon be insufficient. There is simply no way to stop miners from buying everything they find. It's all up to the mining scene itself , if it fails everything goes back to normal.

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
If this is true, I am ready to order 24+ from a local supplier near by.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro

I still remember what happened when bitcoin was all the craze. AMD gpu price went up and in French store 90% were out of stock, and 10 were overpriced. Things only settled down when gpu weren't the best way to mine anymore. But now we got a new currency that is made to run on gpu. Now that i know that i realise that the issue would be the same even with full mining compute unit. Unless they somehow manage to do a whole new chipset, really cheap, power efficient and easy to make, and still better than the gaming version for mining.

Unlike newegg, French store don't do the "2 units per customers" here if you got the money, you can buy as much as you want. Price are not only going way up, stock are scarce as well. At the moment it seems like they can't make enough chips to supply demand, everything still depends on the health of the currency.

I know that as time goes by, mining become harder and harder. Now i wish that ETH become so hungry on compute power, that it will become unavailable for the average consumer . From where i'm standing greed will win over the customer. As long as there is an high demand, and people buying overpriced gpu, I don't see them lowering price and making less profit.

Now for the launch of vega, AMD took miners into consideration, we'll see just how much the delayed launch will make them available for gamers at decent price. But if they are as good as the rumors says, i will not be surprised if they quickly become hard to get.

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)
I'm curious as to how well (if at all) HBCC works for mining.

I'm a 99+% gamer but it is nice to have efficient mining available, I did 3 months in 2014 (LTC with 2 x 290x) and made a profit of €500 when I sold them at the recent high. That puts a nice dent in the cost of cards. :)

I don't call myself a miner though as the cost of juice here is too much really. Maybe when I get those solar panels ... ;)

Last edited:

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
I'm curious as to how well (if at all) HBCC works for mining.

Atm it seems to be aimed squarely at games. It's basically a cache for assets, but I haven't understood exactly what it does so far.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
If this is right, it'a a hard decision for AMD. On one hand, they can sell as many Vega as they can produce, at a higher than initially expected price. This will really help them.
AMD's cut is based on MSRP, not on retail price. Retailers get all the profits from overpriced cards.

There is no manufacturing capacity that can satisfy this mining idiocy. And no one is going to build a new plant just to satisfy these demands when it can die over night. Just too much of a gamble increasing manufacturing capacities 10 fold and then it all dies off over night. It's why we have such clusterf**k. If there was guaranteed capacity needed, the'd done it already.
You are exaggerating the mining mania. Sure, they buy a few thousands, but it's not millions, sucking up all the cards. Both Polaris and Pascal have been in low stocks at times before this latest mining mania.

It is in AMD's best interest to sell more cards. If cards are selling out, the should just produce more cards, not nerf their usefulness. Man I am glad a lot of the people here aren't in charge of businesses lol
The production capacity is reserved years in advance. AMD and Nvidia have to decide before each batch how many wafers to spend on each GPU, and then ~4-5 months later, they have a batch of products in shiny boxes.
The largest problem for Vega is the supply of HBM2, which is out of AMD's control.

As mining difficulty increases, it eventually becomes unprofitable. It happened with bitcoin, litecoin and all the other whatevercoins. There will probably continue to be some demand, since the world isn't running out of fools anytime soon, but the mining demand wouldn't grow forever.

Someone said consoles would kill PC gaming, wich we currently laugh at.

But the mining thing is killing it, slowly and painfuly. Altho Nvidia isn´t good for mining, the prices go up too, here in Europe is madness just to get a "simple" 1080p 144hz GPU like the GTX 1070. Good luck finding one less than 500€, wich is "only" the most common montlhy wage in my country. GG

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Someone said consoles would kill PC gaming, wich we currently laugh at.

But the mining thing is killing it, slowly and painfuly. Altho Nvidia isn´t good for mining, the prices go up too, here in Europe is madness just to get a "simple" 1080p 144hz GPU like the GTX 1070. Good luck finding one less than 500€, wich is "only" the most common montlhy wage in my country. GG
Amazon.de lists several model under €500. One is at €449. But you'd have to pay import taxes.

Exactly. Even if everyone refused to buy second hand cards it would make exactly 0 difference.

NVIDIA cards are not immune to this, though for some reason 1080ti seems largely untouched.

No, because there is no real way to separate mining from generic gaming compute. That is the crux of the problem.

My thoughts on this is pretty much as follows: It's not like VEGA stock was going to be adequate anyways (though this certainly did not help).
Couldn't they cripple performance with x+ GPUs detected in a system unless you buy a card specifically for it? Or do cards not communicate at all with mining?

AMD's GPU division might not survive long term if things keep up the way they've been going.

The only people to be able to get their hands on these cards and actually use it for gaming (well benchmarking) are the Reviewers.

When will we ever get our hands on these cards to actually play games? Oh wait, let's spend an extra $100 for that Vega Package that comes with coupons even though most of us probably already have Ultra Wide screens, etc..so it's pointless.

Remember the RX570/580? It's like they don't exist. I hope this doesn't happen to the Vega because HBM2 is already in short supply.

The only thing I can count on is my three local Microcenters. They limit 2 GPU's for every customer.

Eff all you miners

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
So many mad angry gamers out there

VRAM requirements go up for mining purposes too , from what I heard 4GB will soon be insufficient. There is simply no way to stop miners from buying everything they find. It's all up to the mining scene itself , if it fails everything goes back to normal.

define "soon". It won't be for like 2 years, and even then you can program the miner to break up the workload into 2 parts. 4GB is fine.

AMD's cut is based on MSRP, not on retail price. Retailers get all the profits from overpriced cards.

You are exaggerating the mining mania. Sure, they buy a few thousands, but it's not millions, sucking up all the cards. Both Polaris and Pascal have been in low stocks at times before this latest mining mania.

The production capacity is reserved years in advance. AMD and Nvidia have to decide before each batch how many wafers to spend on each GPU, and then ~4-5 months later, they have a batch of products in shiny boxes.
The largest problem for Vega is the supply of HBM2, which is out of AMD's control.

As mining difficulty increases, it eventually becomes unprofitable. It happened with bitcoin, litecoin and all the other whatevercoins. There will probably continue to be some demand, since the world isn't running out of fools anytime soon, but the mining demand wouldn't grow forever.

And there is always another coin to mine when one becomes unprofitable. But "fools"? LMAO you are fool not making money...

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
People are very naive if they still think this crypto mining business has any future for the average user. Is simple logic actually. The more people are mining the harder the process to get the crypto coins becomes. So, very soon actually, only big Enterprise mining companies will keep buying video cards for this purpose, since for the average Joe the investment would not be any more profitable anymore (initial cost+running cost).

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Oh no, more people are interested in the hardware we are interested in and thus the price goes up?!?!
I feel so betraaaayed!!!

Durvelle27

Staff member
System Name Black Prometheus
Processor |AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard ASRock B550M Pro4|MSI X370 Gaming PLUS
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE | AMD Stock Cooler
Memory G.Skill 64GB(2x32GB) 3200MHz | 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) |AMD R9 290
Storage Sandisk X300 512GB + WD Black 6TB+WD Black 6TB
Display(s) LG Nanocell85 49" 4K 120Hz + ACER AOPEN 34" 3440x1440 144Hz
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55 V3 w/ 6x120mm Intake + 3x120mm Exhaust
Audio Device(s) LG Dolby Atmos 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RMX850 Fully Modular| EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Logitech Trackman
Keyboard Logitech K350
Software Windows 10 EDU x64
Nooooooooooo

System Name Good enough
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
People are very naive if they still think this crypto mining business has any future for the average user. Is simple logic actually. The more people are mining the harder the process to get the crypto coins becomes. So, very soon actually, only big Enterprise mining companies will keep buying video cards for this purpose, since for the average Joe the investment would not be any more profitable anymore (initial cost+running cost).

That is already the case , always been really. Most "home miners" even with up to 100 cards are only looking at about 40k profit a year with say ETH , witch to be honest doesn't really sound that amazing at all , certainly not a "gold mine" which is what people tend to make it look like it.

Mining farms with thousands of cards in countries where electricity is cheap , that's where the real money is made. For the home miners this will never make them truly rich. It's a joke really , toy money as it is referred to.

You wouldn't be in their situation ?

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)
40k (USD?) profit/year would be a gold mine for many folks.. A lot of people (myself included at the moment) earn less than that working a "real" job.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
40k (USD?) profit/year would be a gold mine for many folks.. A lot of people (myself included at the moment) earn less than that working a "real" job.

You sure ? Look at it this way : currently you would need about 30 000$ to invest in say 100 x GTX1060s. Do folk that earn less that 40k be able to do that ? Not really , everyone that can invest that much money already has a fair amount of cash in their hand and 40k more per year ain't gonna be life changing. And let's be honest most amateur miners don't have more than a couple of cards.

Extra money is nice sure , but is it worth fucking up an entire industry for chump change in most cases ? Not in my opinion , but I'm sure someone will disagree and explain to me how this is cryptocurrency is the messiah of money making. Even though they fail to make a fortune for themselves with it.

Again , people with big money at their disposal make a significant profit , not the average Joe.

Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
Yhea right. Let's just shut up and accept the lack of stock and inflated price. Let gaming pc or even video editing/3D rendering pc become something accesible to only the richest among us. Computers used to be a luxury after all. We've been too spoiled lately.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I hope that's sarcasm.

Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
System Name Cyberline
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
You sure ? Look at it this way : currently you would need about 30 000$ to invest in say 100 x GTX1060s. Do folk that earn less that 40k be able to do that ? Not really , everyone that can invest that much money already has a fair amount of cash in their hand and 40k more per year ain't gonna be life changing. And let's be honest most amateur miners don't have more than a couple of cards.

Extra money is nice sure , but is it worth fucking up an entire industry for chump change in most cases ? Not in my opinion , but I'm sure someone will disagree and explain to me how this is cryptocurrency is the messiah of money making. Even though they fail to make a fortune for themselves with it.

Again , people with big money at their disposal make a significant profit , not the average Joe.

I think you need to look at your own post again and question just about every line to see how many options you leave open, how oddly tunnel vision your "argument" is given the variables presented by yourself.

System Name Cyberline
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Yhea right. Let's just shut up and accept the lack of stock and inflated price. Let gaming pc or even video editing/3D rendering pc become something accesible to only the richest among us. Computers used to be a luxury after all. We've been too spoiled lately.

Well you cannot not accept it... I mean what are you going to do? not buy videocards that are not available?