• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anti-aliasing not working for any game on my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
xquizt was last seen: May 22, 2017
Thread Seems Abandoned by OP @Tatty_One

xquizt

Still can't figure this issue out and it's been going on for over a year now. Here is a video showing the issue and it's present in every game on 2 different pc's now that have nothing in common.

System Name Bay2- Lowerbay/ HP 3770/T3500-2+T3500-3+T3500-4/ Opti-Con/Orange/White/Grey
Processor i3 2120's/ i7 3770/ x5670's/ i5 2400/Ryzen 2700/Ryzen 2700/R7 3700x
Motherboard HP UltraSlim's/ HP mid size/ Dell T3500 workstation's/ Dell 390/B450 AorusM/B450 AorusM/B550 AorusM
Cooling All stock coolers/Grey has an H-60
Memory 2GB/ 4GB/ 12 GB 3 chan/ 4GB sammy/T-Force 16GB 3200/XPG 16GB 3000/Ballistic 3600 16GB
Video Card(s) HD2000's/ HD 2000/ 1 MSI GT710,2x MSI R7 240's/ HD4000/ Red Dragon 580/Sapphire 580/Sapphire 580
Storage ?HDD's/ 500 GB-er's/ 500 GB/2.5 Samsung 500GB HDD+WD Black 1TB/ WD Black 500GB M.2/Corsair MP600 M.2
Display(s) 1920x1080/ ViewSonic VX24568 between the rest/1080p TV-Grey
Case HP 8200 UltraSlim's/ HP 8200 mid tower/Dell T3500's/ Dell 390/SilverStone Kublai KL06/NZXT H510 W x2
Audio Device(s) Sonic Master/ onboard's/ Beeper's!
Power Supply 19.5 volt bricks/ Dell PSU/ 525W sumptin/ same/Seasonic 750 80+Gold/EVGA 500 80+/Antec 650 80+Gold
Mouse cheap GigaWire930, CMStorm Havoc + Logitech M510 wireless/iGear usb x2/MX 900 wireless kit 4 Grey
Keyboard Dynex, 2 no name, SYX and a Logitech. All full sized and USB. MX900 kit for Grey
Software Mint 18 Sylvia/ Opti-Con Mint KDE/ T3500's on Kubuntu/HP 3770 is Win 10/Win 10 Pro/Win 10 Pro/Win10
Benchmark Scores World Community Grid is my benchmark!!
After reading through all this? I am thinking, IDK. But, after all that was done, I would go to checking my Power and ground. That would seem to be the issue except, at the shop, it was also seen. So, perhaps there is a ground issue inside the computer?

IDK, just thinking out loud.

xquizt

After reading through all this? I am thinking, IDK. But, after all that was done, I would go to checking my Power and ground. That would seem to be the issue except, at the shop, it was also seen. So, perhaps there is a ground issue inside the computer?

IDK, just thinking out loud.
That's a thought, but my PC once worked perfectly in the same house/room. The problem started occurring out of the blue after a reformat, and hasnt gone away even after buying a completely new PC with nothing in common with the old one. I know how insane this sounds, I've been PC gaming for 15 years since I was young, and I've never encountered an issue that I couldnt troubleshoot and fix. It's killed my desire to even play pc games now since I've gone through everything to fix it. :(

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
You're PC doesn't have a problem, I think this has turned into a bit of an OCD type obsession for you, let me explain..

The video you posted showed the most minute far away rendered line that showed some aliasing, most of the other rendered items that where a lot more prominent you could see AA working as it should. AA is not perfect there will still always be some instances where aliasing is happening and you happen to have found a very minute instance of this going on.

This very small instance has gotten you to the point that you're focusing on this rather than just playing your dam game and enjoying it man.

Your obsession has seen you buy a whole new PC with a whole new set of components for you to see the same small instance of what you have come to class as your problem, again, there is no problem here, you're nitpicking, splitting hairs, grasping at straws etc.

Just forget this whole debacle, play your game, stop trying to find a problem where one doesn't exist.

xquizt

You're PC doesn't have a problem, I think this has turned into a bit of an OCD type obsession for you, let me explain..

The video you posted showed the most minute far away rendered line that showed some aliasing, most of the other rendered items that where a lot more prominent you could see AA working as it should. AA is not perfect there will still always be some instances where aliasing is happening and you happen to have found a very minute instance of this going on.

This very small instance has gotten you to the point that you're focusing on this rather than just playing your dam game and enjoying it man.

Your obsession has seen you buy a whole new PC with a whole new set of components for you to see the same small instance of what you have come to class as your problem, again, there is no problem here, you're nitpicking, splitting hairs, grasping at straws etc.

Just forget this whole debacle, play your game, stop trying to find a problem where one doesn't exist.
No, the difference was night and day when it happened, I can also go to my friend's house and can see his games look normal with proper AA like mine once did. I've also seen this response before on other similiar threads and it looks as if you googled my problem and copy pasted this post from another site. Please don't derail my thread telling me that this is how it is supposed to look when my entire screen is riddled with pulsating jaggies. I know you're probably just trying to get your post count up but I'm looking for some actual insight into a very rare/complicated problem that simply can't be googled to fix

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
You say it's present on 2 different PC's. What is the common piece of hardware (monitor, cable, etc.) that you're using? What have and haven't you replaced at this point?

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
No, the difference was night and day when it happened, I can also go to my friend's house and can see his games look normal with proper AA like mine once did. I've also seen this response before on other similiar threads and it looks as if you googled my problem and copy pasted this post from another site. Please don't derail my thread telling me that this is how it is supposed to look when my entire screen is riddled with pulsating jaggies. I know you're probably just trying to get your post count up but I'm looking for some actual insight into a very rare/complicated problem that simply can't be googled to fix

You derailed your own thread, you didnt reply to people previously, you left and didnt come back just to start the whole debacle again. I don't see an issue. I'm sorry you don't value that opinion but again you seem to be trying to find fault where there doesnt appear to be one, you have decent specs, seriously just install and play your games, who gives a damn about a few jagged edges here and there? it's screaming OCD or attention seeking...

And my post count is 1.66 a day and has been pretty much the same for the 8 years that I have been posting here, so making a comment on 50 useless threads as this one won't change that fact, you just need to hear the truth. Anyway, I'll probably not hear anything from you until next year when you have bought 500 more new computers and are still having the same problem, I'm out, good luck :rolleyes:

xquizt

You say it's present on 2 different PC's. What is the common piece of hardware (monitor, cable, etc.) that you're using? What have and haven't you replaced at this point?
There is nothing in common with my old PC. Other than the power going into it, the room I'm in, and that's it.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
There is nothing in common with my old PC. Other than the power going into it, the room I'm in, and that's it.
Are you using the same monitor?

EDIT: Also, I've just looked at your video and I don't see anything wrong. Sure, fine lines will flicker in and out of existence and show rolling aliasing when at the limits of resolution, no matter how much AA you use. The lower the resolution used, the worse the effect is since the pixels are bigger. Therefore, are you running the game at the monitor's native resolution and is the rendering of the game set to native as well? Many games allow a lower rendering resolution in order to improve framerate.

When you say your friend's computer doesn't do it, I strongly suspect that you're not comparing like with like. What about making a similar video of his PC?

Last edited:
Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
If this is true and you're not messing with Nvidia control panel settings, installing strange drivers or anything like that, there's no logical answer to your issue.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

Just my blue yeti mic, but the problem existed before I ever had the microphone.

I am really sorry but none of these pictures show a lack of AA. The in-game screenshot clearly shows AA is working, as does the Google search results screenshot (though that is TrueType at work, not the same thing).

There is a difference between 'seeing a jaggy' and AA being off. You're still limited to your display resolution and once you start focusing on the actual pixels of course you can see them.

Still can't figure this issue out and it's been going on for over a year now. Here is a video showing the issue and it's present in every game on 2 different pc's now that have nothing in common.

You have provided the best proof of AA being active yourself. Those 'jaggies' you see on the structures in the distance when you zoom in, only appear once you are zoomed in so far on the screen that you can actually SEE the black lines between pixels. In other words, what you are doing is literally 'counting pixels'. You can count all day, but until you buy a monitor with a higher pixel density, that simply won't go away. And even with a higher pixel density, if you would put a microscope on it you would still see the same effect.

Its called physical limitations, not 'lack of AA'. You can be convinced all you want that something is wrong, but its not. Enjoy your rig, now go play games.

EDIT: Just noticed this is a necro and also that I was already convinced these people have lost the plot. Funny how with new 'evidence' I arrive at the same conclusion :)
Note to self: LOOK AT THE DATES :slap:

No. You aren't special. You just convinced yourself that you are. Everything we see is called a perception of reality. We can convince ourselves that something is red, while everyone else sees it as blue. And its very difficult to 'unsee' that once you are convinced of it. For some people it even requires therapy.

Last edited:

xquizt

I am really sorry but none of these pictures show a lack of AA. The in-game screenshot clearly shows AA is working, as does the Google search results screenshot (though that is TrueType at work, not the same thing).

There is a difference between 'seeing a jaggy' and AA being off. You're still limited to your display resolution and once you start focusing on the actual pixels of course you can see them.

You have provided the best proof of AA being active yourself. Those 'jaggies' you see on the structures in the distance when you zoom in, only appear once you are zoomed in so far on the screen that you can actually SEE the black lines between pixels. In other words, what you are doing is literally 'counting pixels'. You can count all day, but until you buy a monitor with a higher pixel density, that simply won't go away. And even with a higher pixel density, if you would put a microscope on it you would still see the same effect.

Its called physical limitations, not 'lack of AA'. You can be convinced all you want that something is wrong, but its not. Enjoy your rig, now go play games.

EDIT: Just noticed this is a necro and also that I was already convinced these people have lost the plot. Funny how with new 'evidence' I arrive at the same conclusion :)
Note to self: LOOK AT THE DATES :slap:

No. You aren't special. You just convinced yourself that you are. Everything we see is called a perception of reality. We can convince ourselves that something is red, while everyone else sees it as blue. And its very difficult to 'unsee' that once you are convinced of it. For some people it even requires therapy.

Uh yeah I've seen this post regurgitated in other threads of people having the same issue and it's simply not true. I already mentioned I can go to my friends house and there isnt a massive amount of pulsating jaggies on his screen on the same parts of the map. I also notice it's not present on the computers at my local LAN center so you're simply wrong.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Come back to this thread yet again, and looked at everything again: i'm in agreeance with everyone else. the AA settings are working in your video, and its 100% clear that the 'jaggies' being seen are you sticking the camera right upto the LCD panel and seeing the pixels.

I see you've got screen scale cranked to 120, which smooths some things out but causes artifacting at the same time - try setting that to 100 and not 120.

I game at 4K with and without AA, and i can still see those same artifacts (fences shimmering in pubg for example), either this is a problem with the screen you're using or its settings (wrong resolution? If its a TV, is it set to just scan/1:1 pixel mapping? is Game mode or anything else that affects overscan or processes the image active?)

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Uh yeah I've seen this post regurgitated in other threads of people having the same issue and it's simply not true. I already mentioned I can go to my friends house and there isnt a massive amount of pulsating jaggies on his screen on the same parts of the map. I also notice it's not present on the computers at my local LAN center so you're simply wrong.
Can you answer my post #60 please - it's rather pertinent to getting to the bottom of your query. If you continue to ignore it, I'll assume that you're just wasting everybody's time.

Rubbishing other people's pertinent posts on here isn't helping you either.

xquizt

Can you answer my post #60 please - it's rather pertinent to getting to the bottom of your query. If you continue to ignore it, I'll assume that you're just wasting everybody's time.

Rubbishing other people's pertinent posts on here isn't helping you either.
Yes I'm using my native resolution 1920 * 1080 on desktop and in-game and I'm using the same monitor but I've tried my older monitor and it's there too. It seems that this is prevelant on every electronic in my household too except my iPhone

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Yes I'm using my native resolution 1920 * 1080 on desktop and in-game and I'm using the same monitor but I've tried my older monitor and it's there too. It seems that this is prevelant on every electronic in my household too except my iPhone e
Thanks for getting back to me. In that case, you need to make a comparison video with your friends PC. I strongly suspect that you're not comparing like with like here, most likely inadvertently.

When you compared, was he running the same game at the same resolution? Could his monitor be 1440p or 4K maybe? In both cases, the artefacting will be much less.

Make sure that you've got the same test conditions when you make the video, ie same native resolution, same graphics card settings (is he on NVIDIA or AMD?) same game and same game settings, along with the same part of the game and the same driver version. Only by controlling all the variables can you make a proper comparison. I also suggest, if you can, to bring your PC over to his house and set it up next to it, then you can pan the camera between them and show any differences very clearly. I predict that once you set things up this way the differences will disappear.

If you can still see differences, perhaps try swapping the graphics cards and see if the problem moves to the other computer. All this can be shown on your video. Don't forget to give relevant specs of the setups in your video, ie graphics card make and model, CPU and Windows version. Other specs don't really matter so much. Heck, one could argue that the CPU doesn't make any difference here either, even.

Note that my explanation for how lines will look at the limit of resolution still stands as it's a physical limitation that cannot be gotten around, only reduced. @Vayra86 had pretty much the same explanation and cannot be dismissed as mere "regurgitation".

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64

Uh yeah well enjoy your imaginary problems in that case, its the first step on the path to madness.

'Massive amounts of pulsating jaggies'... If i google that, here's the top result
http://marcogwen.blogspot.nl/2010/08/bright-lights-and-jagged-lines.html

And if that fails to provide answers, here's your fanclub - wait never mind you've already been there I just noticed - and its an exact repeat of what you're doing here. Its the same technology, so you're getting the same answers. Call it the beauty of science and facts versus 'perception' and imagination. Maybe try it sometime, convince yourself that aliasing still can occur even with several methods of AA being used. Rendering is imperfect and it always will be.
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/638876-jagged-shadowspop-inlow-lod-and-jagged-aa/?page=39

Bottom line, I would suggest you take the medical route. Or get a Ryzen, some people over at Linus are convinced that fixes it :laugh:

Yes I'm using my native resolution 1920 * 1080 on desktop and in-game and I'm using the same monitor but I've tried my older monitor and it's there too. It seems that this is prevelant on every electronic in my household too except my iPhone

BINGO! That's because your Iphone has a retina display with a much higher PPI. You're on to something here!

Last edited:

xquizt

Wow, I guess I really just started to notice this and couldn't un-notice it :/ I had my friend take a video on the same part of the map and it also shows the same shimmering

How is it that I never noticed it before? I remember my games not rendering lines like those and the only movement that caught my eye were enemy players. Sorry about all this but just wow

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
How is it that I never noticed it before?
Probably because there is flagging interest in a year old Thread and i am afraid at this Point>>> your See and Report anything to Keep the 6 Pall Bearers near to this coffin

xquizt

Probably because there is flagging interest in a year old Thread and i am afraid at this Point>>> your See and Report anything to Keep the 6 Pall Bearers near to this coffin
not sure what you mean D:

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Wow, I guess I really just started to notice this and couldn't un-notice it :/ I had my friend take a video on the same part of the map and it also shows the same shimmering

How is it that I never noticed it before? I remember my games not rendering lines like those and the only movement that caught my eye were enemy players. Sorry about all this but just wow

We're making progress now... Now that you've taken the first step back to reality, here's some background info on how pixels work.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel

There is also this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LCD_crosstalk

And then there is this, which you can directly play around with yourself to 'fix' such problems. You said your Iphone didn't have the issue, well look here:
https://designcompaniesranked.com/resources/is-this-retina/

In the end its really simple, if you want a perfectly rendered picture, take a look out the window. I'm not even joking. No matter what resolution and no matter what hardware, rendering is always imperfect and it can show numerous types of artifacts; depending on the game/engine, the colors you see next to one another, the (sub)pixel matrix of your monitor, the ingame settings and quality level (spoiler: even 'Ultra' is not perfect rendering), your viewing distance, etc. etc .etc.

Ambient Occlusion and shadow maps are other great examples of an imperfect render tech that can cause all sorts of visible artifacts. Many of these technologies are post processing so they are basically added to the raw render as a sort of overlay - and this happens numerous times per second, so obviously at different frame rates you will perceive it differently too.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes

Don't worry buddy, I always respect someone who can admit they've made a mistake. :) At least we've got to the bottom of it now and glad to help.

It's certainly true that one can start noticing something after a long time and then never unsee it, eg a smudge on a monitor screen. Could be there for days, but the minute you see it, you'll never unsee it and it can bug you like crazy!

I think for you, the move to 4K with a decent GPU to keep the framerate up will help a lot as it'll minimise the effect greatly.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11

Things like this happen to all of us at some point. Glad it's resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.