• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

anyone else beta testing Elder scrolls online?

System Name Red Radiance l under construction
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Memory TridentZ Neo rgb 3600mhz (2x8 kit)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Audio Device(s) sennheiser's pc323d usb soundcard
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse roccat burst pro
Keyboard roccat ryos mk fx
Software windows 10
pre-order is opened at game's official site

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
EVE Online puts out really nice trailers.

we're all frakin skinjobs!

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Baby Sister site has a pretty short synopsis of one of the hugest, most awesomest worstest events to happen in EVE :)

I could have gone into a lot more detail on it, but I was trying to avoid TL : DR comments. lol

I would love to play ESO, but the monthly subscription model is a deal breaker for me. I don't need another monthly bill and I can't justify the expense given the amount of time I have to spend gaming. Maybe if they have a free trial period I'll give it look, otherwise I will pass on it.

Also, while a little side chatter on other games is fine, try to keep at least something in your post about the topic of the thread. :)

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Late for beta test... Have no money to pay for monthly subscription... I'm depressed...
I guess I'll just have to dig up the old copy of Morrowind:GOTY edition and play for a while.

Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Mouse roccat burst pro
Software windows 10
I would love to play ESO, but the monthly subscription model is a deal breaker for me.

monthly subscriptions is what appeals me most to the game. with current number of retarded ppl in f2p games i strongly hope subscription to become a filter for wide masses of unpleasant persons that only life goal is to brake fun for those around them.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I have no problem whatsoever with the subscription based model. I played the original EQ for years paying monthly.
I just wish they would implement something that gave you limited time in the game per month for a less money (even though it is admittedly stupidly cheap compared to other forms of entertainment that some people pay for).

For $14.99 you get access to the game for over 700 hours a month. I'd like to see something like 70 hours of access (which is still more than I would play) for $1.49 per month. :D

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
monthly subscriptions is what appeals me most to the game. with current number of retarded ppl in f2p games i strongly hope subscription to become a filter for wide masses of unpleasant persons that only life goal is to brake fun for those around them.
That's a misguided opinion - paid games have the same amount of idiots at all time. That's why i stopped playing Guild Wars and Aion when they were still in their prime.
In my personal experience the best time to play any MMO is when it is still in stage of closed beta-testing.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
There will always be people in games who are just out to spoil the fun for everyone else. Most developers these days who are serious about keeping the reputation of their game intact are dealing with it the best they can.

I think that Zenimax Online is going to learn that lesson real quick when players start to learn game exploits in ESO, and they will either take a serious stance on the issue or the game will tank.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
Late for beta test... Have no money to pay for monthly subscription... I'm depressed...
I guess I'll just have to dig up the old copy of Morrowind:GOTY edition and play for a while.

You'd be doing yourself a favor..no kidding.

Why are we talking about EVE?

Mussels, did you play the beta in the end?

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
D

Deleted member 24505

I played the beta, it was really very good, i will be pre ordering myself asap.

I think they have done a good job. It really does have a kinda skyrim online feel to it, i am very much looking forward to its release.

Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Mouse roccat burst pro
Software windows 10
I have no problem whatsoever with the subscription based model. I played the original EQ for years paying monthly.
I just wish they would implement something that gave you limited time in the game per month for a less money (even though it is admittedly stupidly cheap compared to other forms of entertainment that some people pay for).

For $14.99 you get access to the game for over 700 hours a month. I'd like to see something like 70 hours of access (which is still more than I would play) for $1.49 per month. :D
that is a great idea. why dont you suggest this to zenimax. i would be interested from something like 350h for 10$ or 200 for 8$

That's a misguided opinion - paid games have the same amount of idiots at all time. That's why i stopped playing Guild Wars and Aion when they were still in their prime.
In my personal experience the best time to play any MMO is when it is still in stage of closed beta-testing.
well then somehow i have missed most of the crowd in the sub games i have played. ofc that dont mean it doesnt exist.

Yeah, got a hit from GamersGate as well :) Decent pre-order sweeteners.
yap but most of all i like "any race in any alliance" from emperor edition. and if i dont get it on pre-order i will upgrade later for sure.

Ahhzz

Staff member
yap but most of all i like "any race in any alliance" from emperor edition. and if i dont get it on pre-order i will upgrade later for sure.

I'm not really sure about that. I have no desire to play as the imperials, but I hadn't seen anything that precluded us playing as the other races and alliances. Would like to see some definition about what races are available upon launch, and if you have to pay to open up additional races in a monthly subscription game.... I'm sorry, I'm used to WoW's subscription base (and RIFT, and a few others that followed). If I bought the game, I want to play all the content that is available upon release. That's what my monthly money is for. Expansions, I understand. But normal content? hmmm......

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
While ESO is not old school EverQuest, it's also not GW2. It doesn't have that flexibility. As far as MMO templates and progression models go, it's really no different than anything that we've experienced before. ESO is what I call a closed online RPG. You don't play for half an hour and come away having achieved something, something that open (like GW2) online RPGs have accomplished.

Which is why I cam flabbergasted that people are discussing time shared gaming for a title like ESO.

Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Mouse roccat burst pro
Software windows 10
I'm not really sure about that. I have no desire to play as the imperials, but I hadn't seen anything that precluded us playing as the other races and alliances. Would like to see some definition about what races are available upon launch, and if you have to pay to open up additional races in a monthly subscription game.... I'm sorry, I'm used to WoW's subscription base (and RIFT, and a few others that followed). If I bought the game, I want to play all the content that is available upon release. That's what my monthly money is for. Expansions, I understand. But normal content? hmmm......
if i understood correctly what i have read and from beta session i toke part every alliance is made by 3 races. and if you like to play with curtain race you have to stick to alliance it take part and respectively if you like to play with curtain alliance you can select from 3 raced that take part in it. with emperor edition you take ability to play as imperial (or say it "neutral") and you can pick any race. then later you can join any alliance w/o race restriction to be applied. i guess once alliance is picked you wont be able to switch anymore but this way you wont be alliance restricted when you select class.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
@newconroer So are you saying that you can't jump into ESO for a short period of time soloing (1/2 hour to an hour) and accomplish anything?

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
I think in contrast to other games, you might get a little more satisfaction within an hour or two, though I put that down to the fact that ESO is slightly different in some ways, and for a portion of the player base, will be fun for reasons other than simply progression - which is often the only thing left with modern MMOs.

However, the underlying style as I mentioned is still the same and ultimately, the game misses out on few key features of which I want to talk about but...NDA and all that jazz.

The best I can do to explain it, is reiterating what I've said in the past, which is that ESO is an online game with TES elements, not a TES game with an online mode.
In Skyrim or Morrowind, you would start playing with a plan, say a quest. And this time, yes, you tell yourself THIS TIME, I WILL FINISH IT. And why do you have to talk to yourself and almost have a monologue? Because last time you went completely off track.
So, off you go, to do your quest ..... four hours later, you've explored, adventure, slayed enemies, found loot and coin. You're on the complete opposite end of the world and you didn't do one part of your quest.
And you know what, you don't care! You just enjoyed yourself at your own pace, with no thoughts of other people and concerns for your relative progression.

ESO, is not that game.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
ESO is an online game with TES elements, not a TES game with an online mode.

Say no more ...

this was my reaction:

Ahhzz

Staff member
if i understood correctly what i have read and from beta session i toke part every alliance is made by 3 races. and if you like to play with curtain race you have to stick to alliance it take part and respectively if you like to play with curtain alliance you can select from 3 raced that take part in it. with emperor edition you take ability to play as imperial (or say it "neutral") and you can pick any race. then later you can join any alliance w/o race restriction to be applied. i guess once alliance is picked you wont be able to switch anymore but this way you wont be alliance restricted when you select class.
Rude!! I'm a ranger/archer/hunter at heart, always have been, so I'm a Bosmer. Getting stuck with the Aldmeri STINKS! I just wanted to shoot them all anytime I had to deal with them.. stupid racist, backwards, *grumble*....But I'd almost gotten used to the idea that if I was going to play, I'd just have to do it. Now I've got to consider paying extra?.... This game is starting to annoy me,....

Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Mouse roccat burst pro
Software windows 10
Rude!! I'm a ranger/archer/hunter at heart, always have been, so I'm a Bosmer. Getting stuck with the Aldmeri STINKS! I just wanted to shoot them all anytime I had to deal with them.. stupid racist, backwards, *grumble*....But I'd almost gotten used to the idea that if I was going to play, I'd just have to do it. Now I've got to consider paying extra?.... This game is starting to annoy me,....
well since in eso "classes" are quite relative and actually you can start with any class and at the end you can have completely different class i think you can give it a try with alliance you like and later to upgrade to imperal editon if you think you enjoy the game and you want to play it. in beta i made redguard dragon knight (or whatever was class named) and dark elf sorcerer and i didnt noticed siginificant impact of the racial perks to gameplay but i leveled to 6-7 lvl.

@newconroer So are you saying that you can't jump into ESO for a short period of time soloing (1/2 hour to an hour) and accomplish anything?
depends on what you mean by "accomplish anything". leveling in game is quest driven (at least in 2 starting zones) and considering that killing mobs gives you misserable 5-20xp when you need about 4-5k for lvl4->lvl5 you are actualy encouraged to do quests and explore cause like in skyrim while roaming countryside you can meet quest at any point and that is aside of loot/crafting mats you can find.
picking up quest is quite similar to skyrim. speaking with npc gives you quest goals in brif. if you like to know more you can explore dialog options you have, if you dont want to bother say "i'll be back" and run after compass marker. for half to an hour you can do 2-3 short quests or complite long quest line from start to end if you dont folow side quests. problem is that all quests stories are soo addictive (at least quests i have met) that you actually wont end with only 1/2 to an hour gaming (i wont for sure). if you are talking about lvling then with up to an hour at least at the beginning you will lvl rather slowly cause even quest give more exp then killing mobs they dont give so much xp that you get lvl after turning 2 quests. i havent played long enough to check if power lvling is possible so i cant say how things going when you reach continent (first 2 zones for redguard are on islands).
rcoon has lvl10+ toons may be he can share his impresions.
i havnt tried pvp or dungeoning but from what i have saw yes game is not skyrim but definitely it is TES game. you cant mistake it with wow, gw or other mmo game

Last edited:
System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
So the base game is £50, includes 30 days and then you have to subscribe. This is a joke. But the joke gets worse.
The legendary edition is like £70 or something, gives you a race nobody else gets (lulwut?) and the rings of mara so you level up faster than everyone else.

I'm not paying £50 for the right to play an MMO that is also subscription based. I'm also not paying an additonal £20 to level up faster and have access to something everyone should have access to.

This screams "nobody is going to play our game in 6 months, so let's hope we can make a big pile of cash on preorders and initial game sales".

I intended to play and subscribe to ESO, after this news, I will not.

rcoon has lvl10+ toons may be he can share his impresions.
I really liked levelling in ESO, the quests are varied and fun, every class feels really nice. Some of the quests are literally EPIC and I was grinning the whole way through beta. I like most of the classes, although 2H dragon knight seems a little bit average, my wizard does twice as much damage at the same level. It is ten times more fun levelling than WoW, you can tell they put a lot of effort into the quests.

Like you said, quest lines are addictive. REALLY addictive. I went off on a wild tangent, ran around volcano, went into the past to discover how a dead guy banished a giant siege flesh golem, and did it myself with the aid of said past dead guy. The scale of quests is just amazing, and the stories are amazing. You'll also notice some of your choices in certain quests do actually affect the environment, to the point I caused someone to commit suicide, and a few hours later found her ghost wandering around the planes, somewhat angry I had told her the truth.

Last edited:
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Mouse roccat burst pro
Software windows 10
System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Mouse roccat burst pro
Software windows 10
how much do you pay for wow. check how much will cost you to get wow+all expansions till pandaria if you start palying it now. for game has 10+ years old graphics and they made burning crusade free just 2 ears ago.
eso sub rate is on pair with any current mmo that require sub and taking account my latest experience with f2p games i'd rader pay to get game with descent quality then i play rushed unfinished piece of shit full of bugs, clipping issues, fail game mechanics etc. etc. game and to wait for months or even years for fixes if they ever come.
restriction race/alliance comes from game story line and is used for reasoning of pvp story. yes it may not fit everyone personal preference for race+allinace combination but is has to be done cause otherwise pvp will be out of space.
eso is open pvp game like war and daoc they cant make game with 9 sides pvp as emperor throne competition would suggest so alliances are must.
havnt tried it myself but i am pretty sure you will be able to group with members of any alliance in pve dungeons and separation between alliances will be only in pvp.
i played wow after i have quited plaing war, i am playing neverwinter (i am asking myself why thou), world of tanks and i can assure you nothing can compare with open pvp in war, even purely pvp oriented game like wot

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
check how much will cost you to get wow+all expansions till pandaria if you start palying it now.

ESO is a singular base game, WoW and all its expansions is just that. The base game, plus a few years of extra content. Not that I play WoW anymore, too many kids.

I want ESO to be awesome, I'll wait until the base game cost is at a reasonable price before I attempt to play it. This high cost is due to consoles though. If it were PC only it would be £30.