• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bad Flash HD 6870

Doomy

you need to boot from a disk with a functional gpu so you can see whats going wrong with the flash

nona

I have only one PCI-e slot. What will I do with second GPU??

Doomy

find a old PCI video card and use that or take your gpu to a friends or a shop and have them reflash it

nona

It means it may work with other motherboard. I baught a PCI VGA card but unfortunately it was not showing any display because it have only 8mb VRAM.

Doomy

do this
pull the 6870 out
and clean the cmos it won't boot with the other card untill do you do this!!!

boot the machine with either the onboard video or the pci card
go into the bios and set the display priority to either the PCI card or the onboard video ALSO REQUIRED it will not work unless you change the display adapter priority to something else(look for a setting labeled video device priority or display boot device or something similar )

reboot and shutdown
re-install the 6870 leave the video cable connected to the on board chip/pci card

boot from a usb key cdrom or something that has a dos prompt and a RECENT copy of atiflash
run atiflash -i find the 6870's number
then to flash run
atiflash # -p biosfilename.bin
reboot clear the cmos again and remove the pci card/switch the cable over to the 6870 and pray
#=the number of the gpu listed when you did atiflash -i

Last edited:

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Memory Team Xtreem LV 16GB (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) EK Full WB HD7970
Display(s) CROSSOVER 27Q LED-P 27"
Case Danger Den Torture Rack
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200
Software W 10 Pro
No I didn't tried a blind flash. I don't know much about blind flash. bridging EEPROM was not successful because I think I did not connected the two pins correctly. I used a copper wire for bridging. I stopped connecting the pins for now but I will try again tomorrow. Please tell me about blind flash I will try this.

put the usb stick to boot up first

then reboot with the 6870 hooked up to the screen and for it to boot with the pci-e wait a few mins so it can load the usb

atiflash -f -p 0 xxx.rom xxx

then enter

wait like about 5mins then press the power button then predd it it again see if it boots up with video

don't short the pins you probly just burned the chip :banghead: pin shorting is not for 6870's
don't try a blind flash either you will need a working gpu
why wont a blind flash work ? i did it on my 7970 the other day cuz i flashed a 7970 light bios and not the ref one

so idk where you got you need another gpu to flash a card

nona

Here is what I did

Installed PCI VGA and when motherboard's bios came up I went in there and selected the option to use PCI VGA for primary display port. Then power down the PC and remove the monitor's cord from motherboard's video port and pluged it into PCI VGA and started the PC but nothing showed up. Shopkeeper told me that it is 8 MB VGA thats why it is not showing display. I did not clear the CMOS while using PCI VGA. Please tell me at what stage I should have cleared the CMOS??
I was also planning to take it to computer shop.

Doomy

Here is what I did

Installed PCI VGA and when motherboard's bios came up I went in there and selected the option to use PCI VGA for primary display port. Then power down the PC and remove the monitor's cord from motherboard's video port and pluged it into PCI VGA and started the PC but nothing showed up. Shopkeeper told me that it is 8 MB VGA thats why it is not showing display. I did not clear the CMOS while using PCI VGA. Please tell me at what stage I should have cleared the CMOS??
I was also planning to take it to computer shop.

shop keeper is a idiot and is trying to scam you
8MB is PLENTY for a dos console 8MB is plenty to run windows even :banghead:
if you can boot with the on board video thats fine use that that will work to boot from a DOS-usb key with a copy of ATI FLASH
this needs to be done FROM A DOS DISK NOT FROM WINDOWS

nona

do this
pull the 6870 out
and clean the cmos it won't boot with the other card untill do you do this!!!

boot the machine with either the onboard video or the pci card
go into the bios and set the display priority to either the PCI card or the onboard video ALSO REQUIRED it will not work unless you change the display adapter priority to something else(look for a setting labeled video device priority or display boot device or something similar )

reboot and shutdown
re-install the 6870 leave the video cable connected to the on board chip/pci card

boot from a usb key cdrom or something that has a dos prompt and a RECENT copy of atiflash
run atiflash -i find the 6870's number
then to flash run
atiflash # -p biosfilename.bin
reboot clear the cmos again and remove the pci card/switch the cable over to the 6870 and pray
#=the number of the gpu listed when you did atiflash -i

will changing the jumper clear the CMOS??? I am going to try this now so please be with me I will reply in 5 min.

Doomy

let me get this strait
you can boot with the video connected to the onboard video AND the 6870 is still installed to a PCIE slot correct ?
then use the on-board video and don't bother with the card at all
and yes setting the jumper and waiting 15 seconds will clear the cmos I wold do this anyway before and after you flash

Doomy

either way what you need is to beable to boot and get a picture WITH the 6870 installed it doesn't need to be hooked up to a monitor just needs to be installed and have power once you can do that then you can make a dos bootable usb key and run atiflash and reflash the original bios

nona

Ok I am going to do this. I will be back in 5 min.

nona

and I would use THIS bios
http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/109591/HIS.HD6870.1024.110816.html
gpu-z doesn't always save a backup completely

I tried the method step by step you told me but no luck. And the bios saved by using GPU-Z is good one because one week ago I used this bios(which I saved using GPU-z) to flashe my GPU and it worked perfectly. But that time atiflash was reconizing my gpu so it was easy but this time it is not recognizing this GPU. I tried you method twice so it took much time sorry for that.:shadedshu

nona

I can not understand why it is happening, as I am reading on internet for three days that people flashed their GPU in a weird way(Like flashing 4850 with 6850 and like) and their PC was not booting with the dead GPU installed but still they were capable of recovering but here in my case I have display, PC is booting fine with dead GPU connected and still can not recover?????????

Doomy

playing around with the pins might have fried it
atiflash -i doesn't list anything ?
if you forcably flashed the bios then you might have killed the recovery block built into the bios
so you have a 200 dollor paper weight nice ... what have we learned
now the only option is to have the bios reprogrammed with a flasher and someone brave enough to attempt to remove the bios chip flash it and reattach it .. pretty much impossible now adays

nona

playing around with the pins might have fried it
atiflash -i doesn't list anything ?

atiflash -i show adapter not found . but when I hadn't touch the pins, atiflash was unable recognizing gpu. nothing is changed.

nona

i will send it to repair and i will bear all coast. and if doesn't get repaired I am not gonna purchase another one for one year, that way I think I will learn something.

Doomy

most motherboards and gpus have a reserved part of the bios thats there to do one thing and thats make sure the the flash-logic can be initiated even if the rest of the card won't boot this is the boot block and every card is a little different normally when you flash the bios with atiflash -p this is left alone but if there is a check-sum fail and you force the flash sometimes this gets erased and you end up with a card that can not be re-flashed though software or probly at all I can't find any pinouts for that chip so you are SOL sorry

nona

ok friend, lets see what happens. And thanks for trying to help me out. I am leaving now. Thanks again.

nona

most motherboards and gpus have a reserved part of the bios thats there to do one thing and thats make sure the the flash-logic can be initiated even if the rest of the card won't boot this is the boot block and every card is a little different normally when you flash the bios with atiflash -p this is left alone but if there is a check-sum fail and you force the flash sometimes this gets erased and you end up with a card that can not be re-flashed though software or probly at all I can't find any pinouts for that chip so you are SOL sorry

There is a set of 8 pins on the back of GPU. Some numbers are written on it and I found a datasheet for its number.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
if the card is fried, might aswell get a 7770 then. and this time dont flash them! hard lesson learned indeed

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard MSI Gaming M7 AC
Cooling AlphaCool Eisbaer 360
Memory G. Skill Trident X DDR4 8GBx2 (16 GB) 4266mhz dimms
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Twin Frozr GTX 1080 Ti
Storage 512GB Samsung 960 EVO M2 NVMe drive,500 GB Samsung 860 EVO ssd, 1 TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Samsung 28 inch 4k Freesync monitor
Case ThermalTake V71 Full tower gaming case
Power Supply Corsair 1200 watt HX Platinum PSU
Mouse Razor Mamba Tournament Edition
Keyboard Das tactile mechanical gaming keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench 15 64 bit Open GL 146.7 FPS Cinebench 15 CPU 1958 at 4.25 GHZ Priority set to real-time
My system specs:

Motherboard: Intel DH55TC

Processor: Intel core i3 540

Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2UK 600 Watts PSU

GPU: AMD Radeon HIS 6870 IceqX 1 GB

Please help friends please

Sorry for your predicament. I just wanted to give you best wishes , I am not sufficiently informed to really help you, but I know you will find the help.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
don't short the pins you probly just burned the chip :banghead: pin shorting is not for 6870's
don't try a blind flash either you will need a working gpu

Like hell you will. Blind flash the GPU ans stop listening to this guy.

put the usb stick to boot up first

then reboot with the 6870 hooked up to the screen and for it to boot with the pci-e wait a few mins so it can load the usb

atiflash -f -p 0 xxx.rom xxx

then enter

wait like about 5mins then press the power button then predd it it again see if it boots up with video

These are the correct steps for a blind flash. I highly doubt you did anything shorting pins on the EEPROM. You can straight up hold power to ground on the EEPROM and it wont do anything to a corrupt BIOS.

Reactions: DOM