• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DRM, the discussion continues...

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 2600x
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling AMD Wraith Spire I think
Memory 2 x 8GB G-skill Aegis 3000 or somesuch
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 760 DCU2OC 2GB
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Blue 1TB x 2
Display(s) BenQ GL2450HT
Case Some old Antec
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + slightly modded Sony DR-ZX302
Power Supply Fractal Design Effekt 400W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX-Board 3.0
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores I once had +100 dorfs in DF, so yeah pretty great
It's my opinion that the majority of people pirating games are people that are too poor to buy them anyway so DRM used like Denuvo where a game usually can't be cracked quickly isn't going to force those people to buy the game. Here in the West we take it for granted that we have large amounts of disposable income for entertainment but a lot of the world doesn't.
Does not having money to purchase a game give you a right to pirate the game? I've been thinking about that quite a bit, and I always reach the conclusion that it doesn't.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) ASUS 27 inch 1440p PLS PB278Q
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Does not having money to purchase a game give you a right to pirate the game? I've been thinking about that quite a bit, and I always reach the conclusion that it doesn't.
No, it doesn't give them the right. Stealing is stealing no matter what the reason but I wanted to make the point about DRM that it won't force poor people to buy the games because they can't afford them in the first place. DRM just isn't that effective at all unless it really does force people who can afford to buy the games to buy them because they are too impatient to wait for the game to get cracked but no one knows how many that is. You can't even compare a game's sales to a previous one like RDR2 to RDR1 or GTA V to GTA IV because the new game has more sales but is it just a better game? Marketed better? There is no proof how much more income a Publisher is receiving by using Denuvo.

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X370 Pro
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 2x8gb Patriot DDR4 2666 @ 2933
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX570 Pulse 4gb
Storage Samsung PM841
Display(s) HP 27in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
Only when it stops me from enjoying my game. Take Mass Effect for example I can no longer play my legal copy because I'm out of activations

Only when it stops me from enjoying my game. Take Mass Effect for example I can no longer play my legal copy because I'm out of activations
In that situation, the developers have unlawfully denied you access to something you have lawful claim to. EULA's may have wording to certain disclaimers, but standing legal code that has been validated countless times is simple; You paid for it, you have the right to use it, as you see fit, within the realms of personal use. In this case, you have the legally protected right to to remove any limitations to access what you've paid for. So if you were to find and apply a third party "patch", you are well within your rights to do so, regardless of any limitations declared in a EULA. This is not piracy, it is modification to restore lawful access.

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X370 Pro
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 2x8gb Patriot DDR4 2666 @ 2933
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX570 Pulse 4gb
Storage Samsung PM841
Display(s) HP 27in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
i already got around it, same as i did with Crysis and spore, EA really had a phase there of 5 activations and you can never play agian

i already got around it, same as i did with Crysis and spore, EA really had a phase there of 5 activations and you can never play again
They and others had little choice but to get rid of that policy over liability concerns. They realized they could and would get sued(and lose) if they didn't stop, so they did.

Last edited: