• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DTS DCH Driver for Realtek HDA [DTS:X APO4 + DTS Interactive]

System Name MSI-MEG
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism + Thermal Grizzly
Memory 32 GB
Video Card(s) MSI Suprim X RTX 3080
Storage 500 GB MSI Spatium nvme + 500 GB WD nvme + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 2 TB Seagate HDD
Display(s) 27" LG 144HZ 2K ULTRAGEAR
Case MSI MPG Velox Airflow 100P
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing
Power Supply Seasonic 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse HP OMEN REACTOR
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows10 LTSC 64 bit
Yes, so far any Realtek HDA, although depending on the device, you might need 'Main' or 'Alternative', option from the installer.
Also read all of post one in case you are one of the people who get Nahimic always installing with updates.

Make sure you fully remove 'Main' if it does not work, else 'Alternative' wont be active.

----

If you have Realtek USB, you need this pack instead: DTS:X APO4 + DTS Interactive for Most Devices [USB Supported]
Thanks million! I'm fed up with the nahimic junk, which comes with MSI.
And yes my realtek alc1220 uses USB instead of hda

Then you need the other pack, I have also posted everything you need to know in post one of that thread. Base Realtek USB driver or Windows, up to you.

Just so you guys know, I am on small break from driver uploads. I am still available to assist install or debugging.
If you get an issue with the current pack, even after fully following post 1, feel free to ask.

@Daytrader, go to [C:\Windows\System32\DTS\PC\APO4x\] there will be a .lic file, copy that to somewhere safe (another location).
Follow post 1 of this thread to remove old drivers and install this one, you may also need alternative install.

Once installed, copy the .lic from earlier back into the same folder, now you have all of DTS.

ROG STRIX Z790-H.png

Please note some devices work in a slightly different way to what is common on Realtek, and in some cases the devices changes-policy may get in the way in terms of DTS.

Some of the differences may be undone via my uploaded S1220A policy, you should re-install the driver, after following the provided guide.
The devices default policy would have already applied its changes to certain parts of the driver-endpoint data.

Only use the policy if 'DTS Interactive' does not show on SPDIF, or if at times the DTS:X Ultra app displays the wrong channel mode (not a guaranteed fix).

====

If you are looking for adaptable Realtek devices, the most ideal candidates will be hardware based (DAC, other), with no tie to software (none bundled), no offload.
Also note I use digital out, so all the analogue parts-features are unused other than microphone input. Still, miles better than 889 SPDIF.

A £200 soundcard will mostly all be for analogue, the sum of the digital (SPDIF) parts will be more like £20-40.

----

Attachments

• S1220A.png
    S1220A.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 61
  • ALC-1220.jpg
    ALC-1220.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Class-D.png
    Class-D.png
    535.9 KB · Views: 51
  • DMAS.png
    DMAS.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Adaptive oversampling:

Lets say we are working with 48k, at the first point of input to the DMAS (last image above), this can be doubled (96k), then 48k taken from the 96k.
Since we can't hear over 20kHz, and 96k needs more processing, it would be better to take the 48k and dump the rest.

Sample rate /2 = Nyquist frequency max.

----

Digital device input (48k) > DMAS > [OS 96k to 48k trimmed, 32 bit float] > 48k, 32 float processing > Speaker output (digital).

A 96k+ input would only be trimmed.

----

32 bit float, PCM AMP: Low Level Signals: 32-bit Float versus 24-bit - Sound Devices

====

Note, now that Realtek uses USB and not HDA, the HDA bandwidth limit (~37 Mbps) no longer applies. Its possible to use 32bit float output.
An alternative, and much the same as seen on SPDIF and HDMI, to get more channels and still use HDA, use compression.

See image one of the above post to see device manufactures stating the HDA bandwidth limitation.
The DMAS (Digitally Managed Audio System), is more bound by SoC and input interface.

SPDIF - TOSLink.png

Lets say an SoC needed to do 4x the input bandwidth, that's 500 Mbps.

----

The DMAS uses code based processing via central hardware (like APO's), its interactive and can be updated-expanded.

Last edited:

mar144

Have I not managed to get the headphone options to appear in the dts ultra application, have I separated the back from the front as they appear in the first post, do you have another way to configure?
I am using the driver on Windows, on a laptop.

Did you restart your computer after separating? An extra endpoint is added when you press the separate option, so you will need to restart.

mar144

Did you restart your computer after separating? An extra endpoint is added when you press the separate option, so you will need to restart.
If I restart but it's still the same it doesn't change to headphones

mar144

Do you know what ALC you have? If not, go to 'System Information', components, sound devices, and look there.
You should also see 'Headphones' in the sound panel, if not, you will need a supporting driver.

View attachment 335422
View attachment 335428

----

DTS:X APO4 + DTS Interactive for Most Devices [USB Supported]
After installing a supporting driver, ideally just Realtek.
I have taken the screenshots, maybe it will be useful to you, but your drivers are the only ones that have helped me, I had tried others, the sound was heard badly in games and not with these, thanks for your work.

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla (2).png
    Captura de pantalla (2).png
    67.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Captura de pantalla (1).png
    Captura de pantalla (1).png
    87.3 KB · Views: 45
The latest package is my best release, although a major portion of the changes where tested with 9484, currently I don't have the 'Listen To' start-up bug I've had for 3 years (Windows issue).

Currently there is one more remaining Windows issue, there seems to be a PCM substream intermittently passed to SPDIF without any 'Listen To', it's hard to explain.
In my case there should never be a PCM stream at the receiver when there is a DTS encoder present, can also happen when SPDIF is muted.

----

I am guessing you tried the provided policy? I had a look over the ALC 269 driver, it looks like you might need a certain SSTPPCfg, that this package does not have.
Unfortunately SSTPPCfg listings inside the driver .inf file don't come with labels as to what they are, some are features, some are settings.

If it's the SSTPPCfg, then if I knew which one I could make a .reg file to edit then import, but I am not able to find out.

----

@mar144, added 'Form Factor.7z' to [Settings and Utility], comes with a guide to edit the .reg files. Its temporary, so device changes or restart will reset it.
Once you have edited the relative .reg files, you can make a shortcut of the main .bat, you can customize the shortcut with an icon.

Package defaults: Headphones - Speakers to Headphones | Speakers - SPDIF to Speakers | Edit any file if needed.

----

Attachments

• SSTPPCfg.png
    SSTPPCfg.png
    224.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

mar144

The latest package is my best release, although a major portion of the changes where tested with 9484, currently I don't have the 'Listen To' start-up bug I've had for 3 years (Windows issue).

Currently there is one more remaining Windows issue, there seems to be a PCM substream intermittently passed to SPDIF without any 'Listen To', it's hard to explain.
In my case there should never be a PCM stream at the receiver when there is a DTS encoder present, can also happen when SPDIF is muted.

----

I am guessing you tried the provided policy? I had a look over the ALC 269 driver, it looks like you might need a certain SSTPPCfg, that this package does not have.
Unfortunately SSTPPCfg listings inside the driver .inf file don't come with labels as to what they are, some are features, some are settings.

If it's the SSTPPCfg, then if I knew which one I could make a .reg file to edit then import, but I am not able to find out.

----

@mar144, added 'Form Factor.7z' to [Settings and Utility], comes with a guide to edit the .reg files. Its temporary, so device changes or restart will reset it.
Once you have edited the relative .reg files, you can make a shortcut of the main .bat, you can customize the shortcut with an icon.

Package defaults: Headphones - Speakers to Headphones | Speakers - SPDIF to Speakers | Edit any file if needed.

----
Hello Ferather, I hadn't seen that you had edited the comment, I thought it would be difficult to find a solution, thanks in advance for taking your time, I'll try the file right away.

No problem, as I said, If I knew which SSTPPCfg you needed, I would make a .reg file you can use to add it. Unfortunately I don't know which ones you need.

Reading through my millions of posts (lol, sorry I have ADHD, and get bored). It seems that it should be possible to install the normal Realtek driver for your laptop.
Ideally a plain Realtek one, however if the package includes other extensions, force remove them leaving you with the plain driver.

Now you install DTS DCH as an update, this should then merge the SSTPPCfg, and give you the playback separate feature (you only have record separate).

----

A more manual approach, would be to open the relevant .inf file (the Realtek one), containing the SSTPPCfg information (text search).
Then open Regedit, and go to: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM], then search for SSTPPCfg, it will find it for you.

Find a key with both 'HP' and 'SPK', then export it, once exported you can edit the data from the .inf, then import it.

SSTPPCfg.png Export.png

mar144

Reading through my millions of posts (lol, sorry I have ADHD, and get bored). It seems that it should be possible to install the normal Realtek driver for your laptop.
Ideally a plain Realtek one, however if the package includes other extensions, force remove them leaving you with the plain driver.

Now you install DTS DCH as an update, this should then merge the SSTPPCfg, and give you the playback separate feature (you only have record separate).

----

A more manual approach, would be to open the relevant .inf file (the Realtek one), containing the SSTPPCfg information (text search).
Then open Regedit, and go to: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM], then search for SSTPPCfg, it will find it for you.

Find a key with both 'HP' and 'SPK', then export it, once exported you can edit the data from the .inf, then import it.

View attachment 337849 View attachment 337850
I tried to install the Realtek driver first and then install the dts as an update but it doesn't work, I guess the files didn't work, I'm going to try the manual method but after extracting, you have to edit the file right?

I apologize then, maybe Windows has changed and it no longer merges.

Yes once you extract it, you get the device GUID for Realtek Speakers (mentioned in the guide), then edit the .reg files, editing {DEVICE-ID} with the real GUID (with {}).
Once complete run the .bat file (same name as the folder), then open the Ultra app, confirming it works, you can create a shortcut for the .bat.

I have already setup the .reg files accordingly so no need to change form factor, unless you are doing your own thing.

----

Speakers I setup for use with SPDIF by default, if you want to use it to switch back to Speakers, you will need to edit the default form factor to 1.

----

How it works: Stops the DTS service, Change form factor (registry), Start the DTS service, Change back to default form factor (or endpoint deletes on restart).

Last edited:
Anyone interested in multichannel PCM over optical, in this case TOSLink, I have designed a transmission method to suit current and future needs.
Generally it starts from post #64 of the thread, but there are a few posts before it in relation to data transmission.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/dmas-design-spdif-optical.307991/post-5213420

----

Please note higher sample rate does not mean more samples at the same frequency, it adds more frequency range. 48k = 24kHz, 96k = 48kHz.

----

Does anyone know if its possible to upsample an input, and at the same time analyse and reconstruct aliased signal?
If it's at all possible, I would be interested in adding that feature to the adaptive oversampler (DMAS).

Essentially reconstruct and then remove the higher frequency (aliased signal) from the samples (48k > 96k > 48k).

Last edited:
If you Google, you will find most online test tone generators only go up to 20kHz (20,000 Hz), if you do a hearing test (or Google one) it will be 20Hz to 20kHz also.
My sensitivity drops after 14kHz, but I can still detect up to 20kHz at the same volume (silent then play), else I turn it up to hear 14kHz-20kHz.

Say I was looking at a 40kHz speaker set, 1: I would need 96k sample rate to get 40k coverage, 2: My amp needs to output up to 40k, 3: You cant hear above 20k.

White elephant speaker set.

----

Also back to anti-aliasing, since the ADC system should know its current set sample rate, it can filter the analogue input, and remove above the sample rate.
In my mind you cant end up with aliased audio, if there is no frequency above the sample rates nyquist frequency to aliase, when sampled.

Now I am thinking filtering at the analogue end + adaptive oversampling. Set 48k, analogue filter above 24kHz, sampled at 96k, then down to set 48k.

ADC.png

Also removes third party signal above the set rate (EMI-RFI).

----

Does anyone know if I can use dBW to represent, sensitivity / max watts consumed, for example: 110 dB / 67 W = 1.64 dBW.

Last edited:
Reminder: If you are using multichannel only (including DTS Interactive), you don't need to open-use either app. Both DTS apps are for stereo features.
Sound Unbound *, will provide additional system codecs which will decode DTS compressed formats into multichannel PCM.

The older Sound Unbound app will set stereo when you open it. The newer version I don't think does.

* Loads on system start-up.

----

The driver package is DCH, so if you prefer no apps whatsoever, feel free to not bother with-remove them.

----

Win CAudio (optional) (Settings and Utility) - Updated.
Equalizer APO Upmixer Preset - Updated.

Last edited:
I was slightly amused when I saw this web page (image below) found on Google, still make sure you download the package from here (post 1).
Also, I noticed a hidden 'Microsoft Trusted Audio Device', or similar name, is added when the driver is installed (post 1).

DTS DCH.png

Regardless, make sure you use the installer else you wont get the certificate.

====

Please note the base files are created by Realtek and DTS, I take no credit for the processing, only the changes I have made, and inf files.
If you want to support DTS and don't already have a Sound Unbound license (Microsoft account), buy one.

Both DTS:X Ultra and Sound Unbound are APO4, any installed Sound Unbound will use the DTS DCH system directly.

====

Fingers crossed for a DMAS with DTS:X [PCM] processing, and Realtek update for TOSLink, ideally RTN or similar (see post #64 onwards).
Note that DMAS speakers will attenuate PCM to match either max power output (its own) or max draw (power source).

Last edited:
Just decided to do a quick DPC check with music playing (internet stream) and discord open (with gifs+other going on).

Music + Discord.png

Dual desktop mode, the above is desktop 1.

====

Please note the driver does not use hardware offload, its all CPU-RAM based, essentially DMAS style.

Low CPU Usage.png

A true DMAS however, has a dedicated SoC (SPU).

====

Enjoy the DTS PCM processing.

Last edited:

Noctis

Hi, there. I use Apo driver in Win10 for DD everywhere - games, movies, etc. I was patched HDMI connector of my RX6800XT and sent the digital to my av receiver (Yamaha rx v667). I'm wondering about DTS in games - how can I get it through APO driver (or other methods)?
Please tell me about it.

Why not just set HDMI to 8 channels and go lossless uncompressed? You can get the DTS decoders through Sound Unbound.
Since you are on W10, and Microsoft decided not to update it, you only get DTS:X HT for HDMI on W11.

RX-V667 is 7.2 channels it seems, so just set Windows to 8 channels and use PCM processing.

You can add-use DTS APO4 PCM processing to HDMI, but it requires some tinkering with the registry to setup.

Noctis

No, I can't. My receiver works only 1080p and I use 4K TV with native resolution so I am use HDMI extractor to separate audio and video. APO driver will gives me a full-fledged multichannel sound in Dolby Digital. I don't know of any other options for getting a multichannel.