• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DX12 to Vulkan MOD for older GPUs on Windows

izy

Maybe, to continue on this line of hypothesizing (like seriously, translation doesn't inherently have to slow down anything, but you wouldn't expect it to speed up things) you could try to play with renderer.ini and cmdline-patcher to see if there's some whatever lower level of settings that can be enabled.
cmdline-patcher looks interesting.

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
My main concern about trying to play this game with my GTX 1080 is the battles with enemies, especially in tight spaces and when they warp around quickly. I would think anything below 30 FPS would make it very hard to hit your target precisely, and if anything, ammo seems to be more limited in this survival horror version of AW.

So I have to wonder how you're managing to get through those scenarios V3nomSnake, on your 1070? I'm having a tough enough time tracking enemies with my guns in Starfield, and it's performance is MILES better than this game on older hardware.

V3nomSnake

My main concern about trying to play this game with my GTX 1080 is the battles with enemies, especially in tight spaces and when they warp around quickly. I would think anything below 30 FPS would make it very hard to hit your target precisely, and if anything, ammo seems to be more limited in this survival horror version of AW.

So I have to wonder how you're managing to get through those scenarios V3nomSnake, on your 1070? I'm having a tough enough time tracking enemies with my guns in Starfield, and it's performance is MILES better than this game on older hardware.
I just play the game and really enjoy it! Right now im in in the Chapter "Local Girl" with framerate 17-30 fps. In the subway session i got 30-60 fps and play it without any issues. I dont know if i will have problems in later sections of the game but until now its playable. My only issue until now its that when the gpu its used like 96% the fps are more stable and the game its more playable. on the other hand in places like this it goes from 66-90 and chage every second. i dont know if it has to do with rendering or something like that. I have a ryzen 5700x, 32gb Ram a 1070gtx and the game its installed on an ssd.
1.png
2.png

izy

I just play the game and really enjoy it! Right now im in in the Chapter "Local Girl" with framerate 17-30 fps. In the subway session i got 30-60 fps and play it without any issues. I dont know if i will have problems in later sections of the game but until now its playable. My only issue until now its that when the gpu its used like 96% the fps are more stable and the game its more playable. on the other hand in places like this it goes from 66-90 and chage every second. i dont know if it has to do with rendering or something like that. I have a ryzen 5700x, 32gb Ram a 1070gtx and the game its installed on an ssd.
View attachment 321818View attachment 321819
Did you try to set Power Performance Mode to Prefer maximum performance in NVIDIA Control Panel? You can also try to OC your VRAM a bit with MSI Afterburner , it helps a bit, 3-4 more fps (at least it did for me).

Last edited:

V3nomSnake

Did you try to set Power Performance Mode to Prefer maximum performance in NVIDIA Control Panel? You can also try to OC your VRAM a bit with MSI Afterburner , it helps a bit, 3-4 more fps (at least it did for me).
Yeap I try it and still nothing, i have almost try everything and every version of mod. I was thinking of OC the gpu too but its already so many years old so i don't want to take tha risk.

izy

Yeap I try it and still nothing, i have almost try everything and every version of mod. I was thinking of OC the gpu too but its already so many years old so i don't want to take tha risk.
You can give it a try and run the game with alan-wake-2-cmdline-patcher (link in first post) , you could try using it with with something like:

-nohdtextures
-nowaitontexturestreaming

Edit: you only need to download this file: https://github.com/praydog/alan-wak...eases/download/1.1/aw2-cmdline-standalone.exe

This is some sort of a hack so yeah , unless the devs will release some new DLLs that might work better nothing much you can do about it.

Last edited:

V3nomSnake

You can give it a try and run the game with alan-wake-2-cmdline-patcher (link in first post) , you could try using it with with something like:

-nohdtextures
-nowaitontexturestreaming

Edit: you only need to download this file: https://github.com/praydog/alan-wak...eases/download/1.1/aw2-cmdline-standalone.exe

This is some sort of a hack so yeah , unless the devs will release some new DLLs that might work better nothing much you can do about it.
How should i use it exactly? Just drop it in game directory and run this instead of AW2 exe?

izy

How should i use it exactly? Just drop it in game directory and run this instead of AW2 exe?
I think you can put it in the game folder and run it or just drag the game exe over aw2-cmdline-standalone.exe
I havent tested myself as i no longer have the game installed but this is what it says:

[19:01:02] [info] [cmdline-standalone] Test!
[19:01:02] [error] [cmdline-standalone] File "C:\Users\me\Desktop\AlanWake2.exe" does not exist, cannot patch
[19:01:02] [info] [cmdline-standalone] Usage: C:\Users\me\Desktop\aw2-cmdline-standalone.exe [path to AlanWake2.exe]
[19:01:02] [info] [cmdline-standalone] Or drag and drop AlanWake2.exe onto this executable
Press any key to continue . . .

Edit: And i think after patching you should add the args in a shortcut of the game exe

Last edited:

V3nomSnake

I think you can put it in the game folder and run it or just drag the game exe over aw2-cmdline-standalone.exe
I havent tested myself as i no longer have the game installed but this is what it says:

[19:01:02] [info] [cmdline-standalone] Test!
[19:01:02] [error] [cmdline-standalone] File "C:\Users\me\Desktop\AlanWake2.exe" does not exist, cannot patch
[19:01:02] [info] [cmdline-standalone] Usage: C:\Users\me\Desktop\aw2-cmdline-standalone.exe [path to AlanWake2.exe]
[19:01:02] [info] [cmdline-standalone] Or drag and drop AlanWake2.exe onto this executable
Press any key to continue . . .

Edit: And i think after patching you should add the args in a shortcut of the game exe
I did it but it doesn't seems to do anything. I have still the same problems. How can i remove it?

izy

I did it but it doesn't seems to do anything. I have still the same problems. How can i remove it?
No idea , it doesnt say but i think you can just copy the old exe back, maybe it doesnt take the args , it should disable some textures and stuff.

V3nomSnake

No idea , it doesnt say but i think you can just copy the old exe back, maybe it doesnt take the args , it should disable some textures and stuff.
Hmmm is there anyone who has used em? I run the patch exe as an admin and it wokred, cause otherwise it gave me an error. Unless if there is another way to use em.

freeman94

so I have some other settings to figgle aroud and make better performance. GTX 1070 user here
1. Make sure game updated (1.0.11) newest drivers (546.17) + newest vulkan runtime (1.3.268.0)
2. For my GTX 1070 the best experiance is by using DX2Vulkan gplasync, just copy it, I didnt touch the config file, just leave it default
3. In Control Panel go 3D settings then program settings Alan Wake 2 and set VULKAN/OPEN GL method to prefer layered on dxgi swapchain
4. Download Nvidia Profile inspector 2.4.0.4 from github
4. Launch it with admin priviliges, and on global profile page just set
- Ansel Enabled - OFF
- ShaderCache - 10GB (it defaulted for me at only 4GB)
- And if you have GSYNC just allow if no then leave it default
APPLY CHANGES
5. Select from list Alan Wake 2 Profile
- Frame Rate Limiter Backgroud - (30FPS) I just set it at 30fps to make it no spike so much on my 1070, you can just leave it OFF
- Frame Rate Limiter V3 - (30FPS) Same reason as above
- Maximum pre-rendered Frames - 1
- Ultra Low Latency - CPL State - ULTRA
- Ultra Low Latency - Enable - ON
- Ansel Enabled - OFF
- Power Managment - Mode - Prefer maximum performance
- Shadercache Cachesize - 10GB
- Threaded Optimization - ON
APPLY CHANGES

Last edited:

V3nomSnake

so I have some other settings to figgle aroud and make better performance. GTX 1070 user here
1. Make sure game updated (1.0.11) newest drivers (546.17) + newest vulkan runtime (1.3.268.0)
2. For my GTX 1070 the best experiance is by using DX2Vulkan gplasync, just copy it, I didnt touch the config file, just leave it default
3. In Control Panel go 3D settings then program settings Alan Wake 2 and set VULKAN/OPEN GL method to prefer layered on dxgi swapchain
4. Download Nvidia Profile inspector 2.4.0.4 from github
4. Launch it with admin priviliges, and on global profile page just set
- Ansel Enabled - OFF
- ShaderCache - 10GB (it defaulted for me at only 4GB)
- And if you have GSYNC just allow if no then leave it default
APPLY CHANGES
5. Select from list Alan Wake 2 Profile
- Frame Rate Limiter Backgroud - (30FPS) I just set it at 30fps to make it no spike so much on my 1070, you can just leave it OFF
- Frame Rate Limiter V3 - (30FPS) Same reason as above
- Maximum pre-rendered Frames - 1
- Ultra Low Latency - CPL State - ULTRA
- Ultra Low Latency - Enable - ON
- Ansel Enabled - OFF
- Power Managment - Mode - Prefer maximum performance
- Shadercache Cachesize - 10GB
- Threaded Optimization - ON
APPLY CHANGES
Hmmmm. It doesnt seems to do nothing, the gpu per cent usage its still not stable and the framerate too. :( Ive done evertything exactly as you mention above.
I really dont know what could be the issue! I m really "sad" cause i play the game for 7-8 hours and i think thats it for me until there is going to be a new patch or mod etc.
1.png

For this game u need DX 12_2 ultimate with mesh shader.Pascal series is obsolete for this game generation,is just a history for new games titles in the near future.Is not worth the effort with any tricks ,patch or future mod in my opinion...Try to understand and accept this fact...is just a TRUTH.
To play this game smoothly ,u need at least RTX 2080 or2080 TI trust me....Anything under RTX 2080 TI is not worth it in my opinon....because minimum requirments for this game is RTX 2060,and that card is mediocre, is an entry-level card,not even middle-end segment.....

Ashalanti

For this game u need DX 12_2 ultimate with mesh shader.Pascal series is obsolete for this game generation,is just a history for new games titles in the near future.Is not worth the effort with any tricks ,patch or future mod in my opinion...Try to understand and accept this fact...is just a TRUTH.
To play this game smoothly ,u need at least RTX 2080 or2080 TI trust me....Anything under RTX 2080 TI is not worth it in my opinon....because minimum requirments for this game is RTX 2060,and that card is mediocre, is an entry-level card,not even middle-end segment.....
No.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Yes, its a fact Pascal does not support DX12 beyond feature level _1, and mesh shaders are not in it.

When those shaders come into play, the GPU is brute forcing stuff and therefore won't be using its full performance. It just gets stuck on those shaders in the render pipeline, and you have abysmal FPS and below max utilization.

> entire thread is about one neat trick that can somehow almost double framerate on older cards (or if not any fix the worst dips)
> smart alecks: did y'all know that your cards are old and unsupported?
Seriously, come on.

For everybody else: vkd3d 3.11 was just released today. Does anybody notice any improvement or difference?
(I initially thought that the total lack of DXR could have played a role on D3D12_RAYTRACING_TIER_1_0 cards, but then I saw that GTX 16xx gpus are actually sweet already out of the box)

Alternatively, I wonder if forcing lower feature levels for the game in dxcpl couldn't do anything.

izy

Added new .zip - DX2Vulkan - gplasync - vkd3d-proton-2.1.1.zip - updated with vkd3d-proton-2.1.1 (new DX12 DLLs) for those who want to try it (download it from the main post).

Last edited:

Arcanorum

I have a 1050ti, have done all the things I think I could do (turn off nvidia overlay, do the edits to nvidia profile inspector, restarted, tried different versions, installed new vulkan driver, new nvidia driver, edit nvidia control panel) and AW2 still crashes on black screen as soon as I open it. This was my latest AlanWake2_dxgi log. Haven't found the cache file everyone seems to say to delete though. Can someone help?

Attachments

• AlanWake2_dxgi.zip
    870 bytes · Views: 49

izy

I have a 1050ti, have done all the things I think I could do (turn off nvidia overlay, do the edits to nvidia profile inspector, restarted, tried different versions, installed new vulkan driver, new nvidia driver, edit nvidia control panel) and AW2 still crashes on black screen as soon as I open it. This was my latest AlanWake2_dxgi log. Haven't found the cache file everyone seems to say to delete though. Can someone help?
The log seems fine , have you tried all the DX2Vulkan versions / last versions of the game (there are some patches) ?
The 1050ti is too weak to have a decent game play anyway, i think with a lower GPU than 1070/TI doesnt worth the struggle.

Arcanorum

The log seems fine , have you tried all the DX2Vulkan versions / last versions of the game (there are some patches) ?
The 1050ti is too weak to have a decent game play anyway, i think with a lower GPU than 1070/TI doesnt worth the struggle.
I've tried all the zip files in the first post of this thread, yes. And I have the latest AW2 version from epic games, i guess.

it's very sad that it isn't working properly on a 1050. getting more fps would make the game playable. but I guess 13 fps will have to do. the funny part is that from low to high or ultra doesn't seem to change the fps that much. lowering resolution even give me one fps or two above that. the problem is really the mesh shaders, and vulkan seemed to be the only solution. thanks anyway

izy

getting 5-6fps more on my 1050 ti
before it was 10-12 now it's 16-18

I've tried all the zip files in the first post of this thread, yes. And I have the latest AW2 version from epic games, i guess.

it's very sad that it isn't working properly on a 1050. getting more fps would make the game playable. but I guess 13 fps will have to do. the funny part is that from low to high or ultra doesn't seem to change the fps that much. lowering resolution even give me one fps or two above that. the problem is really the mesh shaders, and vulkan seemed to be the only solution. thanks anyway
Only one user reported that it worked on a 1050TI but with a very small FPS increase , maybe he can help you figure out how to make it work but i dont think its worth the struggle as i said.

System Name Xpectra
Processor i3 10105F
Motherboard Asrock H470M-HDV
Cooling Cooler Master H410R RGB
Memory Hynix 16GB (2x8) 2666Mhz DDR4 RAM
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 1050 Ti Mini
Storage Crucial BX500 120GB+480GB, 1TB+2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM
Display(s) HP 22es
Case Chiptronex C100
Audio Device(s) F&D A110
Power Supply Ant Esports VS500L
Mouse Redragon M609
Keyboard TVS EGold Bharat Mech Keyboard (Blue Switches)
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores nothing special
i have a 1050ti too, but this seems not to be working at all. can you tell me what you did and if it still works for you?
well, maybe i was wrong. I can't really say it improved performance much, experience was pretty similar only thing is i didn't have afterburner before and running the game at 240p render resolution instead of 360p might have improved performance slightly, i don't play this game anymore.