• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GeForce GTX 295 a PR Stunt?

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
NO ONE EVER BUYS THOSE CARDS

LOL

NO ONE

The top selling cards are the LOW LOW end cards with lots of memory. lol

Mid range does sell but not like the low end cards. Having the FASTEST CARD on the market says that you are the best to noobs.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
I got the word everywhere from common sense, something you seem to lack. It is simply available, with no lack of supply.

common sense dictates "everywhere" is false, there MUST be a store out of stock, and my point remains, they are not flying off shelves like GTX295's.

I cant believe your argument is that the product you prefer is widely available, the fact the GTX295 isn't means its in high demand, which means awesome product.

not to mention this thread is about the GTX295, who cares about an inferior X2, they're so last year.

I don't want an argument, and i apologize for the wording of my original statement, i'll refrain from any comments that will insight a retaliation, so please be nice.

also, to anyone that wants to quote me, if your jumping to the defense of the X2 from here on out, i wont reply to that comment, so say what you like, they are inferior in almost every way.

System Name Half-fucked overclockedd
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k 3.40Ghz @ 4.20Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte P67 UD7 B3
Cooling Antec Kuhler H2O 920
Memory G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 8GB X2 1866Mhz (Model F3-2133C9D-16GXH)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti Extreme Edition
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB / Western Digital Black Cavier 2TB X2
Display(s) Dell U2715H 2560X1440
Case NZXT Phantom
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000W
Mouse Logitech G510
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur Spectrum
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Professional
To geeks shouting at Nvidia VS ATI card and talking about ATI cards, get the fuck off this thread simply. I just don't get how the hell fanboys appear everywhere. Flame on. :shadedshu

aCid888*

Every dual-gpu card is about PR...people will buy your $200~ card if they see you have the fastest card out there, even if it does cost twice as much.

I think I got it right earlier without the need for fanboys. :nutkick: :rockout:

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
Memory 2x4GB Mushkin Redline Ridgebacks
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 680
Case Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced
Power Supply Corsair HX-1000
According to ATI, they are selling well. According to Nvidia, they are selling well too. According to you, someone is not selling well. Both ATI and Nvidia loose share over the past few months. Base on this article, Nvidia gtx295 doesn't meet supply & demand so their stock isn't going well either even if the are king. They need to produce more. The point is Nvidia need to meet all the demand and when they ran out of stock, people is going to turn to the other guy because they still have steady product flow. Oh well, I like either company and don't want neither going down. It's going to be interesting upcoming month to see their sale chart first quarter of 09.

So where are the numbers to support your claim of the 4870x2 selling well ;)

If they were selling well the price would continue to fall. It has not budged much since it's debut. If this clown thinks the 295 is non-existent then he's got something else coming to him. They're still coming out, they're available right now. Ask yourself if you can get one. If the answer is YES then you can probably write this guy's ranting off as mud slinging. In a world with an economic crisis I find it absolutely laughable that you, who writes intelligently enough, would argue about this without first consider that may have affected nV's decision. Their decision was to make a quantity of cards that would supply their target market... the enthusiast community. @ $500+ per card and the world's markets in their current state what is more believable... they didn't want to produce more cards than would sell, or they did it to sell GTX 260s.

Another thing that gets me is that the GTX285 in triSLI beats the 295 in quad. There's no shortage of the 285, and so why would a fanboy with deep pockets squeeze himself and go get a 4870x2 when he could get 2-3 285s for around the same price he would spend on the 295s. This article is just meant to get attention. Computer industry conspiracy theorists make me laugh.

Noggrin

So, let me get this str8.. 295 is making mils of $$$ but nvidia are so stupid that they dont supply their partners with more cards.. LOLZ.. thats why i never read blogs..

Processor i9 9900KS ( 5 Ghz all the time )
Motherboard Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390
Cooling EK Velocity + EK D5 pump + Alphacool full copper silver 360mm radiator
Memory 16GB Corsair Dominator GT ROG Edition 3333 Mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 Ti 12GB OC
Storage M.2 Samsung NVMe 970 Evo Plus 250 GB + 1TB 970 Evo Plus
Display(s) Asus PG279 IPS 1440p 165Hz G-sync
Case Cooler Master H500
Power Supply Asus ROG Thor 850W
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Rapoo
Software Win 10 64 Bit
NO ONE EVER BUYS THOSE CARDS

LOL

NO ONE

The top selling cards are the LOW LOW end cards with lots of memory. lol

Mid range does sell but not like the low end cards. Having the FASTEST CARD on the market says that you are the best to noobs.

Game Developers make such a hard work doing special effects in games, make at most realistic environments, i do not understand why a person who wants to see them spending a lot of money on graphics card and be judged as NOOB.

If you want to play any game with hi res ( more than 1920x1200), all filters on, al details set to maximum, FPS over 60. Then you have to buy graphics card like this. And you think this is for noobs ?
Why ?

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
Memory 2x4GB Mushkin Redline Ridgebacks
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 680
Case Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced
Power Supply Corsair HX-1000
He's being sarcastic :shadedshu

System Name PBD
Processor Core i5 760 @ 4.0GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus III Gene
Cooling Corsair H-50-1
Memory 4 x 4096mb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 Cas7
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU TOP
Storage Crucial 256GB SSD (system) + 2x Samsung F3 1TB (storage) + 2x 2TB Raid-1 NAS (backup)
Display(s) Dell SP2309w 23" 2048x1152
Case Antec Max Fusion Remote
Power Supply Corsair AX750W
Software Win 7 Pro x64
If they were selling well the price would continue to fall.

I'm sorry that is totally wrong. If sufficient numbers of people are still willing to part with the money for certain product, then there is no reason to drop the price at all. If sales start to drop - or a company perceives a threat (and predicts that sales will drop) - they will lower the price then to try and shift stock. Just look at the tit-for-tat price drops on the 4870 vs 260. It's competition that forces prices down - not lack of it.

Of course these cards from nvidia & ATI are an effort in PR (even though they probably do make the companies money). Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think it was Subaru that ran their WRC teams at a loss for years - because having a world champion WRX car sold a lot of normal Subarus to people that wanted to drive something that looked and sounded like what they were watching on TV. :cool:

One can only speculate as to why the 295 is short of stock. Personally would have tried to sell as many as possible until ATI takes the crown back (yes , yes ... IF they take the crown back). In that respect the stock shortage does seem a bit mad. Maybe the Nvidia production manager needs to be sacked. Maybe it's the market research team that told him they wouldn't sell as many as they have. Who knows? :confused:

(NOTE: please don't accuse me of 4870x2 bias just cause I have one - it is currently RMA'd - the second one that's bricked. I'm sick of it.)

Quick stock check:
eBuyer has no GTX295's listed at all.
Scan has 8 listed but only 3 in stock. (in saying that they have 8 x2s listed with only 5 in stock too)

System Name MASTER
Processor Core i7 3930k run at 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x4G kingston hyperx beast 2400mhz
Video Card(s) 2X EVGA GTX680
Storage 2X Crusial M4 256g raid0, 1TbWD g, 2x500 WD B
Display(s) Samsung 27' 1080P LED 3D monitior 2ms
Case CoolerMaster Chosmos II
Audio Device(s) Creative sound blaster X-FI Titanum champion,Creative speakers 7.1 T7900
Power Supply Corsair 1200i, Logitch G500 Mouse, headset Corsair vengeance 1500
Software Win7 64bit Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3d mark 2011: testing
that's the cuz when i say the man must be not drank when he talking

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
System Name Little Girl
Processor Intel Q9650 @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte x48 DQ6
Cooling liquid cooling
Memory 4gb (2x2) OCZ DDR2 PC2-9200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte HD6950 unlock to Asus 6970 specs
Storage Crucial CT128M225 128gb SSD
Display(s) Acer 27" LCD @ 2048x1152
Case DIY (spit & glue, ducktape, cardboard)
Audio Device(s) On-board HD Audio
Power Supply ABS Tagan 850w
Software Win7 64bit
So where are the numbers to support your claim of the 4870x2 selling well ;)

If they were selling well the price would continue to fall. It has not budged much since it's debut. If this clown thinks the 295 is non-existent then he's got something else coming to him. They're still coming out, they're available right now. Ask yourself if you can get one. If the answer is YES then you can probably write this guy's ranting off as mud slinging. In a world with an economic crisis I find it absolutely laughable that you, who writes intelligently enough, would argue about this without first consider that may have affected nV's decision. Their decision was to make a quantity of cards that would supply their target market... the enthusiast community. @ $500+ per card and the world's markets in their current state what is more believable... they didn't want to produce more cards than would sell, or they did it to sell GTX 260s.

Another thing that gets me is that the GTX285 in triSLI beats the 295 in quad. There's no shortage of the 285, and so why would a fanboy with deep pockets squeeze himself and go get a 4870x2 when he could get 2-3 285s for around the same price he would spend on the 295s. This article is just meant to get attention. Computer industry conspiracy theorists make me laugh.

One source is Fudzilla, Tomshardware, and so on... I do not have the time to go back and search every article for you. If you've kept up with the graphic industry then you have no problem believing my statement. Also an HD4870x2 is around $380 after MIR, one GTX285 is close to that price already, do your research b4 to state something like " 2-3 gtx285s for around the same price." I'm talking about new item not use/open box product.

Last edited:

aCid888*

One source is Fudzilla, Tomshardware, and so on... I do not have the time to go back and search every article for you.

Tomshardware and Fudzilla are hardly reliable sources and have been know to often 'bend' the truth shall we say...very shady websites. :slap:

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
Game Developers make such a hard work doing special effects in games, make at most realistic environments, i do not understand why a person who wants to see them spending a lot of money on graphics card and be judged as NOOB.

If you want to play any game with hi res ( more than 1920x1200), all filters on, al details set to maximum, FPS over 60. Then you have to buy graphics card like this. And you think this is for noobs ?
Why ?

Because I know few people in the business.

This happens to be one of my best friends
http://www.linkedin.com/in/dmakin

VERY VERY VERY few people buy those cards. They only make them for PR the only reason because they lose money on them.

Ok remember the last dual card from N. I went to a lan a week later after it's release.

Not even 20 of them sold. NOT EVEN 20 of them. This included all of the companies at Newegg.

Now they sold when the price went down but not at the release.

The cards people buy are the low end cards. Here at XS and at TPU along with a few other sites a few people do buy them. Other than that Nope. Unless they bought it in a dell machine.....

It's a fact the low end cards sell, mid range is sold to most real pc games. High-end is sold to Over Clockers mainly or the few that make a lot of money and love to have the best of the best.

They make games for them to SHOW THEM OFF.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
Owning a low end ATI card doesnt make you an ATI fan.:roll: From what I remember, ATI actually made profit from the 4870x2, and also from what I can remember, they are currently in stock, everywhere.

No, calling myself an ATI fan makes me an ATI fan. :roll: I don't even need to "own" anything.

(By the way -- you're a 9800GX2 owner whose name is "3870x2." I really don't think I need to be listening to your advice, thank you very much. :rolleyes:)

In the same way that almost anything a company did could be construed to be a PR stunt.