• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i9-9900k won't go above 3.6GHz while gaming

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
If setting the power limits in the BIOS does not solve your problem then you might have to continue to use ThrottleStop.

If you want to troubleshoot this further, boot up with those power settings in the BIOS and before running ThrottleStop, delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file. This file will have your previous settings stored in it. After you delete this file, when you run ThrottleStop, it will read the values that the BIOS set the CPU to. Post a few ThrottleStop screenshots and run another ThrottleStop log file so I can see your CPU running at 3.6 GHz. The last log file you posted looked great with steady 4.8 GHz performance when the CPU was loaded.

Precision_03

If setting the power limits in the BIOS does not solve your problem then you might have to continue to use ThrottleStop.

If you want to troubleshoot this further, boot up with those power settings in the BIOS and before running ThrottleStop, delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file. This file will have your previous settings stored in it. After you delete this file, when you run ThrottleStop, it will read the values that the BIOS set the CPU to. Post a few ThrottleStop screenshots and run another ThrottleStop log file so I can see your CPU running at 3.6 GHz. The last log file you posted looked great with steady 4.8 GHz performance when the CPU was loaded.
I did what you said and had those power setting in my bios. I deleted the ThrottleStop.INI file then loaded ThrottleStop. I hit start and took the screenshots that I attached below. Everything was running smoothly until I restarted my computer to see what would happen. I then opened ThrottleStop but didn't hit start and loaded the game. It stayed at 3.6GHz. I then hit start so It would record in the log. You will be able to see when I restarted my PC in the time stamps of the log. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot (7).png
    Screenshot (7).png
    923.5 KB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot (8).png
    Screenshot (8).png
    789.3 KB · Views: 131
  • Screenshot (9).png
    Screenshot (9).png
    890 KB · Views: 120
  • 2021-01-03.txt
    219.5 KB · Views: 74

unclewebb

Your log file shows that after resuming from sleep, you immediately see PL1 and PL2 in the far right column of the log file. This is power limit throttling. Both power limits have been set incorrectly by the BIOS during sleep. Both power limits have likely been set to zero. Someone screwed up. This tells the CPU to completely disable turbo boost so your CPU is left running at the default 36 base multiplier.

Edit - Likely game specific and not the BIOS that is responsible for this.

Using the Lock option in ThrottleStop should prevent this from happening. No other software gives you access to the Lock option.

You can add ThrottleStop to your Windows startup sequence by using the Task Scheduler.

Last edited:

Precision_03

Your log file shows that after resuming from sleep, you immediately see PL1 and PL2 in the far right column of the log file. This is power limit throttling. Both power limits have been set incorrectly by the BIOS during sleep. Both power limits have likely been set to zero. Someone screwed up. This tells the CPU to completely disable turbo boost so your CPU is left running at the default 36 base multiplier.

Using the Lock option in ThrottleStop should prevent this from happening. No other software gives you access to the Lock option.

You can add ThrottleStop to your Windows startup sequence by using the Task Scheduler.

If you do not want to use ThrottleStop then go back to the previous BIOS. The BIOS version you are using now is borked. Tell the people at Gigabyte to get this problem sorted out. Multiple people are all having the exact same problem.
Thank you so much for all your help!

Lemuth80

So i do have the same issue with a z490 gigabyte aorus master and 10850k

Exact same thing happening....

unclewebb

Exact same thing happening....
Did you try using ThrottleStop to solve your problem? Set the Turbo Power Limits Lock option to prevent your power limits from randomly changing. The latest version of ThrottleStop properly supports the 10850K.

I am not yet sure if this is a Gigabyte problem or if this is a problem with some specific games. Here is an interesting conspiracy theory. Imagine if some game company got a big chunk of money from AMD. Come up with a way to slow Intel CPUs down so our AMD processors look better when gaming. When the game is done, go back to full speed. Stranger things than this have been known to happen. All it takes is a single command to write 0 to the power limit register to disable Intel turbo boost.

Lemuth80

It's nuts for sure.
I have not tried it yet but somehow it's weird
I can run cinebench with all core 5 ghz at 1.3 volts and no power throttle.
But once i start a game it throttles...

I gonna try it out now

unclewebb

@Lemuth80 - Is it one or two specific games or all games? Other users have reported that it is some specific games. The plot thickens.

Lemuth80

So far all cs go, warzone , cold war have not tried more

Do you have discord by any chance?

unclewebb

Do you have discord
No I do not. I spend too much time in the forums as is. :D

When you are stuck with turbo boost disabled, run CPU-Z, click on the About tab and push the Save Report (.TXT) button. Post that info here or send it to me in a private message. No big secrets in there but it will let me see what the turbo power limits are being set to. I think it is MSR 0x610 that contains both power limits and the turbo time limit.

Do your CPUs go back to full speed when you close these games?

Lemuth80

So i just used throttle stop and its working great...

There you go

5ghz at start up
Game 3.6ghz
after game closed 4.8ghz

Attachments

• DESKTOP-aftergame.txt
    147.5 KB · Views: 83
  • DESKTOP-before.txt
    147.5 KB · Views: 84
  • DESKTOP-game.txt
    147.5 KB · Views: 137

unclewebb

Code:
MSR 0x00000610        0x00428000    0x001A8000

My guess was right. Both the long and short power limits are set to 0 Watts in your DESKTOP-game file. This disables Intel Turbo Boost and leaves the CPU running at its base frequency. This register is not restored after you exit the game so power limit throttling will continue.

The DESKTOP-before file shows this same register has both power limits set to 4095W.

Code:
    MSR 0x00000610        0x0042FFF8    0x001AFFF8

The power limit is in the lower bits. Bit[15] is the enable bit.
In 0xFFF8, the power limit part is 0x7FF8

0x7FF8 = 32760
32760 / 8 = 4095 Watts

Do the same calculation on the top values and you get 0 Watts for both limits.

Quite the conspiracy developing here. Specific games deliberately targeting Intel CPUs.
Just one of those "accidents"? AMD CPUs do not use this power limit register so it makes you wonder what is going on here.

Lemuth80

Yeah and it happened all of a sudden...so really don't understand what's going on...

Kinda frustrating.
Specially it's fixed with the ts program.

unclewebb

Maybe some disgruntled employee hid some code somewhere that was set to go off on January 1, 2021. A child could write code to zero out the lower 15 bits of both the long and short power limit register. This was no accident. The other bits in that register were not changed.

I have never had a chance or reason to use this word on any forum but here goes.

skul·dug·ger·y

underhanded or unscrupulous behavior; trickery.
"a firm that investigates commercial skulduggery"

Last edited:

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Processor Intel i7 10700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero
Cooling 2x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 - 1x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 - D5 VPP655P - 13x Corsair LL120 - LL140
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600Hz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB/1TB - WD Blue SN550 1TB - 2 X WD Blue 1TB - 3 X WD Black 1TB
Display(s) Asus ROG PG278QR 2560x1440 144Hz (Overclocked 165Hz )/ Samsung
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) I prefer Gaming-Headset
Power Supply Enermax MaxTytan 1250W 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard Virtuis Advanced Gaming Keyboard ( Batboard )
Software Windows 10 Enterprise/Windows 10 Pro/Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores My PC runs FiFA

unclewebb

Is this a Motherboard issue?
This is a specific game issue. Several games are changing Intel's turbo power limits to 0. This problem has started popping up in multiple forums.

The before and after CPU-Z Report files prove that the CPU power limits are fine before starting a game but are set to 0 when the game starts and the power limits are not restored after a game ends.

Anyone can use the CPU-Z Report function to find out what the power limit register at MSR 0x610 is set to before, during and after a game.

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Processor Intel i7 10700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero
Cooling 2x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 - 1x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 - D5 VPP655P - 13x Corsair LL120 - LL140
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600Hz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB/1TB - WD Blue SN550 1TB - 2 X WD Blue 1TB - 3 X WD Black 1TB
Display(s) Asus ROG PG278QR 2560x1440 144Hz (Overclocked 165Hz )/ Samsung
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) I prefer Gaming-Headset
Power Supply Enermax MaxTytan 1250W 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard Virtuis Advanced Gaming Keyboard ( Batboard )
Software Windows 10 Enterprise/Windows 10 Pro/Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores My PC runs FiFA
This is a specific game issue. Several games are changing Intel's turbo power limits to 0. This problem has started popping up in multiple forums, Maybe some disgruntled employee hid some code somewhere that was set to go off on January 1, 2021, This was no accident.

Any specific purpose?

unclewebb

Any specific purpose?
At best, it was done deliberately as some sort of sick joke. Perhaps an AMD fanboy had a hate on for Intel CPUs. Computer sales to gamers is big business. Hopefully no money changed hands to perpetrate this computer crime.

More users need to do their own testing by using CPU-Z to dump the values of the power limit register so they can do a before and after comparison. This could be some sort of virus within specific games. If it was triggered to start on a specific day, it is possible that this problem will magically disappear in a day or a week or ....

Last edited:
System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
Turn off ht/virtual cores and see.

unclewebb

Well is there anything else what we can do about it?
The only solution at the moment is to use ThrottleStop to Lock the Turbo Power Limit register so no other software can mess around with this. Whoever wrote this malicious code forgot to set the lock bit.

Turn off ht/virtual cores and see.
It is the power limit register that is causing the problem. It is not HT related.