• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel 13th Gen Support?

mva94

@unclewebb Hello my aurora r15 will not keep its boost at 5.5 ghs , cpu temp is at 60 degrees though there is a edp current limit in red in hw info or throttlestop clearly saying that the current of the vrm is throttling, how is it possible knowing that I'm running everything stock ?
Clocks go down to 5.2 while throttling

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
vrm is throttling, how is it possible
If ThrottleStop Limit Reasons shows VR Temp or VR Current, the voltage regulators are either damaged, poorly cooled, under designed or a combination of those. Not good. There is no easy fix for VR related throttling. You can reduce the power limits but this will reduce performance.

mva94

If ThrottleStop Limit Reasons shows VR Temp or VR Current, the voltage regulators are either damaged, poorly cooled, under designed or a combination of those. Not good. There is no easy fix for VR related throttling. You can reduce the power limits but this will reduce performance.
It shows edp current for core and ring going from yellow to red back and forth ?

+ it's during gaming at 125w tdp

unclewebb

A current limit is not voltage regulator throttling. Just a manufacturer using their own limits to make sure the voltage regulators and overall temps remain in spec. Manufacturer's can do whatever they want. If you disagree with their decisions, return your laptop and shop elsewhere.

mva94

A current limit is not voltage regulator throttling. Just a manufacturer using their own limits to make sure the voltage regulators and overall temps remain in spec. Manufacturer's can do whatever they want. If you disagree with their decisions, return your laptop and shop elsewhere.
It's a desktop... with a i9 13900k

Too late to return it

nayr2

Long time user of ThrottleStop that just bought a new laptop with a i9 13980hx, could I get a copy of 9.5.1? Thanks!

unclewebb

It's a desktop
Post screenshots of the FIVR and TPL windows.

For EDP throttling, make sure IccMax is set to the max, 511.75, for both the core and the cache. Setting Power Limit 4 to a value of 0 can also fix EDP throttling issues.

mva94

@unclewebb what do you think?
20230501_110324.jpg
20230501_110317.jpg
@un
20230501_110310.jpg

unclewebb

1682954160300.png

@mva94
I usually have the CPU set to Adaptive voltage, not Static. It should say Default in the FIVR Voltage box when set correctly.

You have TVB and V-Max throttling. To fix that problem, clear the Thermal Velocity Boost box and clear the V-Max Stress box in the FIVR window. Intel is using the wrong name for these features. Intel calls it boost but when those boxes are checked, it causes throttling. Blame the marketing gurus.

When trying to figure out a throttling problem, set both Long Power PL1 and PL2 sky high to 4095. Do not check either of the Clamp boxes.

Make sure IccMax is set to the max, 511.75 for both the core and the cache.

Run a log file or show me a Limit Reasons screenshot while using the updated settings and when your CPU is loaded and throttling.

mva94

View attachment 294051

@mva94
I usually have the CPU set to Adaptive voltage, not Static. It should say Default in the FIVR Voltage box when set correctly.

You have TVB and V-Max throttling. To fix that problem, clear the Thermal Velocity Boost box and clear the V-Max Stress box in the FIVR window. Intel is using the wrong name for these features. Intel calls it boost but when those boxes are checked, it causes throttling. Blame the marketing gurus.

When trying to figure out a throttling problem, set both Long Power PL1 and PL2 sky high to 4095. Do not check either of the Clamp boxes.

Make sure IccMax is set to the max, 511.75 for both the core and the cache.

Run a log file or show me a Limit Reasons screenshot while using the updated settings and when your CPU is loaded and throttling.
Is it good like this ? I've attached the log too
20230501_190136.jpg
20230501_190125.jpg

Attachments

• 2023-05-01.txt
    3.9 KB · Views: 35

unclewebb

Is it good
Not that good.

Power Limit 4 was set to 0. You changed Power Limit 4 to 380. Try setting this limit to the max which I think is 1023. There should be no need to lock this.

You are still getting constant EDP throttling in the log file. Something is not right. I am not sure if you can use ThrottleStop to solve this problem. Are there any current related adjustments available to you in the BIOS?

On older CPUs I used to recommend clearing the Sync MMIO box and checking the MMIO Lock box instead. Try doing this if you are still having EDP problems.

Warning - I have never done any 12th or 13th Gen hands on testing so there is no way for me to know if this works correctly or not. If you get more throttling, clear the MMIO Lock box. You will need to shut down or do a full reboot to reset the CPU. Programming ThrottleStop without hardware or documentation is like wearing a blind fold. I am always surprised when it works as well as it does on many CPUs that I have never owned or used.

I forgot to mention before. Your computer has Undervolt Protection enabled. Is there anyway to disable UVP in the BIOS? This evil new feature can cause some performance issues.

mva94

Not that good.
20230501_193954.jpg

Power Limit 4 was set to 0. You changed Power Limit 4 to 380. Try setting this limit to the max which I think is 1023. There should be no need to lock this.

You are still getting constant EDP throttling in the log file. Something is not right. I am not sure if you can use ThrottleStop to solve this problem. Are there any current related adjustments available to you in the BIOS?

On older CPUs I used to recommend clearing the Sync MMIO box and checking the MMIO Lock box instead. Try doing this if you are still having EDP problems.

Warning - I have never done any 12th or 13th Gen hands on testing so there is no way for me to know if this works correctly or not. If you get more throttling, clear the MMIO Lock box. You will need to shut down or do a full reboot to reset the CPU. Programming ThrottleStop without hardware or documentation is like wearing a blind fold. I am always surprised when it works as well as it does on many CPUs that I have never owned or used.

I forgot to mention before. Your computer has Undervolt Protection enabled. Is there anyway to disable UVP in the BIOS? This evil new feature can cause some performance issues.
Nope alienware bios is locked as heck,
I changed this , do you see anything else I'm missing ?
Also I changed the Thermal pad of the vram putting a better quality one , there is no way I could have fucked this up ?

Attachments

• 2023-05-01 (1).txt
    11.4 KB · Views: 54

unclewebb

It is likely that Alienware set a low ball current limit somewhere that ThrottleStop does not have access to. That is why it is best to build your own desktop computer. Prebuilt computers can come with throttling features like this. Dell is trying to be as enthusiast friendly as Apple is.

If you had voltage regulator throttling issues, ThrottleStop would report VR TEMP or VR CURRENT in Limit Reasons. EDP throttling is just a current limit somewhere that was set conservatively.

mva94

It is likely that Alienware set a low ball current limit somewhere that ThrottleStop does not have access to. That is why it is best to build your own desktop computer. Prebuilt computers can come with throttling features like this. Dell is trying to be as enthusiast friendly as Apple is.

If you had voltage regulator throttling issues, ThrottleStop would report VR TEMP or VR CURRENT in Limit Reasons. EDP throttling is just a current limit somewhere that was set conservatively.
So nothing to do on my end right ?

Which would be why conebench r23 is only 35000 ?

unclewebb

I do not know how to fix what Dell has done. If you cannot raise the current limits in the BIOS like a decent desktop motherboard lets you do, and if you cannot disable Undervolt Protection in the BIOS then there is nothing that ThrottleStop or any software can do about these limitations.

mva94

I do not know how to fix what Dell has done. If you cannot raise the current limits in the BIOS like a decent desktop motherboard lets you do, and if you cannot disable Undervolt Protection in the BIOS then there is nothing that ThrottleStop or any software can do about these limitations.
I cannot even write to bios
Screenshot_20230418_210127_Reddit.jpg
5ee5d9bd-d752-4e71-a25f-b1310a735860.jpg

Looks like I'm going to return my dell laptop. Even with the overclock feature on it doesn't let you undervolt. The temps are crazy 100c as soon as anything is done on the cpu and 62c idle! 13900hx.... to think I was going to put liquid metal on this.

mva94

A friend if mine has the same problem as me with the aurora 15
He solved it by using the i9 13900ks which is not officially supported by dell but still work with this motherboard, not a single edp current limit with that cpu and full frequency!
When he opens throttlestop cpu displays right away 511.75 in iccmax while my i9 13900kf default at 310. He has a full 5.6 gjz across all cores in games while me it drops to 5.1 5.2 throttling, any insights why the ks work and not the kf ? Could it be that dell in their stupidity only locked supported cpu and not the ones they don't sell ?

Same bios version and everything
Just his ram is 7000 mhz mine is 5200

I was able to oc my dells 4070 to 2610mhz stable which is 200+ core up to 100mhz+ memory so far and undervolt it to 920mv from 1080 I got 75c max when both 13900hx and gpu are going hard. Cpu vid at 1.4 is kicking my butt

unclewebb

Could it be that dell in their stupidity only locked supported cpu and not the ones they don't sell ?
Anything is possible. If you are curious, you will need to buy a 13900KS and do some testing.

Not all CPUs are created equal. The 13900KS is going to be a top tier chip. A regular 13900K will likely need more voltage and higher current when the MHz are equal. This might cause your chip to trigger EDP throttling when his chip does not.