• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel 13th Gen Support?

neteng101

How'd you get the Legion to undervolt? Vantage sucks for that. I disabled Overclock Undervolt Protection in the bios, because I thought that was what was keeping TS and XTU from being able to undervolt. Did you do anything special or do I need the TS 9.5.1 beta version? TIA

Throttlestop - both 9.5 and 9.5.1 work. But don't do anything other than undervolt in TS - the CPU overclocking functions and TPL can mess with Vantage - I got it to the point where I had to restore to factory image to recover, the CPU was getting severely power restricted. Just use TS for CPU undervolting and you're safe.

meitantei

Hi, I just bought an asus Z690 tuf gaming plus + 13600KF and I'm unable to undervolt although in the BIOS the Undervolt Protection is already set to Disable. Since I use win 11, I also disabled the memory core isolation but still the same, TS 9.5 could overvolt but no undervolt. Could you send me TS 9.5.1 beta so I could test? Thanks a lot.

Mindz

Hi, Is it possible to get a link to TS 9.5.1? I just got the SCAR 18 with 13980HX. Thank you!

MrSmo

I just took receipt of my Strix Scar 16 with the 13980HX and would also love a copy of 9.5.1 if possible, please.

Thanks for all your hard work with ThrottleStop, I've used it on my last couple of Razer Blade laptops for the past several years. Swear by it!

Mindz

Just did some testing with TS on my SCAR 18, I found out and I don't know if this should change, but "CPU P Core" should be named as cache/ring.. It's not changing the P-Core's undervolt, but the ring.. Be careful with that. "CPU Core" is for P-Core's as far as i've seen while testing.

Here's my scores in Cinebench R23, Single run and 10 min run. With Cinebench it seems stable, will have to check how well it will do under good gaming session.

Attachments

• single run.png
    single run.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 204
  • multi core test.png
    multi core test.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 197

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
It's not changing the P-Core's undervolt
HWiNFO and ThrottleStop use slightly different names for some things but I think everything is OK.

1679631796014.png

HWiNFO and ThrottleStop are reporting the exact same values for all voltages.
The six different voltages are in the exact same order in both programs to avoid confusion.

The first voltage listed in ThrottleStop is CPU Core. This refers to the P cores.
The CPU P Cache voltage in ThrottleStop is the ring or cache voltage for the P cores.
The CPU E Cache in ThrottleStop is called L2 E-core Voltage in HWiNFO. I think L2 refers to Level 2 cache. Just slightly different names but it is the the same thing.

Be careful with that
No need to be that careful when adjusting the voltage. If an undervolt lowers your temperatures and improves performance without crashing, all is good.

With Cinebench it seems stable
Cinebench is not a good stability test. A voltage setting that is Cinebench stable might return errors during the TS Bench 960M test. Games can quickly crash even when a computer is stable enough to run Cinebench. Run a variety of tests and play a variety of games. Use an undervolt for a day or two during normal use to see how stable it really is.

Mindz

HWiNFO and ThrottleStop are reporting the exact same values for all voltages.
The six different voltages are in the exact same order in both programs to avoid confusion.

The first voltage listed in ThrottleStop is CPU Core. This refers to the P cores.
The CPU P Cache voltage in ThrottleStop is the ring or cache voltage for the P cores.
The CPU E Cache in ThrottleStop is called L2 E-core Voltage in HWiNFO. I think L2 refers to Level 2 cache. Just slightly different names but it is the the same thing.
Right, my bad. I was thinking that the P-Core Cache was actually P-Cores. Thank you for clearing this up.

Cinebench is not a good stability test. A voltage setting that is Cinebench stable might return errors during the TS Bench 960M test. Games can quickly crash even when a computer is stable enough to run Cinebench. Run a variety of tests and play a variety of games. Use an undervolt for a day or two during normal use to see how stable it really is.
I've did a TS Bench 960M test see screenshot, also did a game session for atleast an hour, Horizon Zero Dawn to be exact. Will have to run some tests/games more later today when i have the time.

Attachments

• throttlestop.png
    throttlestop.png
    66.5 KB · Views: 67

unclewebb

did a game session for at least an hour
That is a good sign that your undervolt is reasonably stable. Try turning on the Log File option for your next gaming session. It might show something interesting in there.

Great to see that ThrottleStop is still relevant on unlocked 13th Gen HX processors when undervolt protection is disabled.

MrSmo

On my '23 Strix Scar (13980HX) I've settled in on -125mv on Core, -80mv Cache and -45v on iGPU. I could tune further but I've managed to achieve the result I was after; namely not bouncing on the thermal limit and reduced noise when gaming.

FIVR.jpg

I tested against New World, Cyberpunk 2077, Hogwarts Legacy & Witcher 3 without issue. Highest CPU temp was originally still peaking at ~97c very occasionally when clocks would spike to 5.6GHz, so I also set a PL1/PL2 limit of 60w. It now hits a max of ~86c and it still played everything I threw at it without a noticeable loss in performance when just playing games and having fun. Huge thanks to Uncle Webb for all the hard work!

TPL.jpg

meitantei

Thank Unclewebb for the beta. Unfortunately it still shows Undervolt Protection:
1679662436598.png
1679662291803.png

I have Asus z690 main bios version 2204 with Undervolt Protection disabled. Now I don't know what to do.

unclewebb

with Undervolt Protection disabled
This BIOS feature is not working correctly. I would try using an older BIOS version.

@MrSmo
If you want a maximum of 60W then check both Clamp boxes in the Power Limit Controls section.

The Intel GPU and iGPU Unslice usually need to be adjusted in sync to the same value. If you have a Nvidia GPU, I would leave the Intel GPU and iGPU Unslice at +0.0000. No use in creating instability if it does not reduce power consumption or temperatures any meaningful amount.

Last edited:

meitantei

I found the reason, it's not the Bios working not correct, but since I install win 11 from scratch and did not install MEUpdateTool, Undervolt protection disable did not work. After installing MEUpdateTool from Asus, I could undervolt now. But I find that while CPU P/E cache offset value remain constant as I set, CPU core offset value fluctuate from my setting to +0:
1679672933941.png

Is it normal? And another thing, before install ME tool, my Cinebench R23 multicore score ~ 10000 which is way too low, but temp never pass 76 degrees. Now after install ME tool and with undervolt (-125, -75, -75) my score reach ~24000, but the temp go to 89 degrees (vcore max 1.261V as show in hw info).

unclewebb

Is it normal?
It is not normal. You must have some other software running on your computer that is accessing the voltage control register. Are you running any Asus software that might be doing this? Do you have Intel XTU installed? For best results and best performance, only use ThrottleStop to set and modify your CPU voltages.

That is a normal Cinebench R23 score for a properly functioning 13600K at default settings. A better performing CPU is going to run hotter compared to the same CPU that is throttling internally. A score of only 10000 confirms that your CPU was throttling very badly before. This throttling happens internally so most monitoring software is not reporting any change in the reported MHz. At this level, the CPU is not performing the way it should be so it will be running cool and quiet.

Some people in an old folks home might prefer poor performance as long as their computer runs cool and quiet. I like maximum performance.

Mindz

That is a good sign that your undervolt is reasonably stable. Try turning on the Log File option for your next gaming session. It might show something interesting in there.

Great to see that ThrottleStop is still relevant on unlocked 13th Gen HX processors when undervolt protection is disabled.
Silly Question, but do you mean this option? Do I have to turn it on or just like this?

Attachments

• log file.png
    log file.png
    149.1 KB · Views: 81

meitantei

I did install XTU but it's not running. After uninstall XTU the CPU core offset still jump from -160 mv to +0mv. I didn't use any Asus software. Other softs running are FanControl and Afterburner.

unclewebb

Look in the Task Manager Details tab to see what XTU remnants are running on your computer. Exit anything you find. The value in the voltage register is always very steady on my computer.

Try exiting any other software. FanControl and Afterburner should be OK but something on your computer is causing this. Maybe other users can watch the FIVR monitoring table for a minute to check if the voltage reading is consistent or not.

@Mindz
Yes. Checking the Log File box will create log files in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder.

Mindz

Yes. Checking the Log File box will create log files in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder.
Alright, thank you! Here's the log file during a gameplay of Horizon Zero Dawn.

Attachments

• 2023-03-25.txt
    273 KB · Views: 57

unclewebb

@Mindz
There is lots of TVB throttling in the log file. This slows the CPU 100 MHz at 70C. To get rid of this type of throttling, clear the Thermal Velocity Boost box in the FIVR window. This type of throttling is minor and will likely not be noticed.

Looks like your computer is running great.

meitantei

I give up. I also tried with XTU, it seems that the undervolt work until I reboot, then all all offsets reverse to default. Finally I set the offsets directly in the BIOS and all seems OK.
I just have one more question: in Asus Bios there are 3 options I could set the offset: Core, Cache and CPU L2, I set core offset to -160, Cache to -140 and CPU L2 to -140. Cinebench crash if I set cache and L2 to -150 so I reversed to -140. My question is L2 and cache offset should be the same or not? And if it's not the same, L2 offset should be lower or higher?
Thanks for your patience.

Healer

Hi @unclewebb, I am using version 9.5. could I get access to ThrottleStop 9.5.1? Would love to try it out with my 13900HX!

1679761026020.png

Mindz

@Mindz
There is lots of TVB throttling in the log file. This slows the CPU 100 MHz at 70C. To get rid of this type of throttling, clear the Thermal Velocity Boost box in the FIVR window. This type of throttling is minor and will likely not be noticed.

Looks like your computer is running great.
Will give that a try with TVB off.

Thanks for the efforts you put into this!

TheNaitsyrk

Would someone be able to do a small favour for me?

Could someone download Core Temp, set fans to full speed and run Cinebench R23 with vanilla settings for the laptop and let me know the temps?

I received my one from repair and temps are all screwed up I think, I don't know what temps I had before.

Only someone with MSI Titan with 13980HX please

Thanks a lot on advance