• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Japan Will Release Radioactive Fukushima Water Into The Ocean, And Why That’s O.K.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.

Like no joke, you've got the scary side down but made a mistake with one of the essentials - and this is what fuels everyones fear of scary scary radiation

Light, sound, gravity... all radiation. How you doing avoiding those three?

sunlight is radiation. you're looking at a screen right now giving out electromagnetic radiation.
You're mixing and matching terminologies and using them wrong, and thats what's throwing you off.

Most types of radiation are totally harmless to humans, or we'd have died off centuries ago.
Some are dangerous... and as with everythinig what matters there is the dosage. Kinda like how sunlight causes skin cancer, but not every human has died of skin cancer yet? cause... we go to the shade?
Then, you are saying you are not attune to the term 'ionizing radiation'? Don't go on wild tangents and assume you are better of. Slow down...
I'm sure we are attune to the term "ionizing radiation".

Light, sound, gravity... all radiation. How you doing avoiding those three?
They are not ionizing radiation. School couldn't end sooner...

Some are dangerous... and as with everythinig what matters there is the dosage. Kinda like how sunlight causes skin cancer, but not every human has died of skin cancer yet?
That is a play on words. Survivorship bias. You cannot build your theory on some inconclusive observation. It won't fit the narrative you are trying to build, but who am I kidding, we know your mind is set...

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Don't hold a grudge. Nuclear is not chemical waste. I'm sure I can gain a reception there.
I'm not holding a grudge. You get the point I'm making. Don't deflect from it.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Please read this:

And this:

Ionizing Radiation​

Radiation can be either ionizing or non-ionizing, depending on how it affects matter. Non-ionizing radiation includes visible light, heat, radar, microwaves, and radio waves. This type of radiation deposits energy in the materials through which it passes, but it does not have sufficient energy to break molecular bonds or remove electrons from atoms.

By contrast, ionizing radiation (such as x-rays and cosmic rays) is more energetic than non-ionizing radiation. Consequently, when ionizing radiation passes through material, it deposits enough energy to break molecular bonds and displace (or remove) electrons from atoms. This electron displacement creates two electrically charged particles (ions), which may cause changes in living cells of plants, animals, and people.

Ionizing radiation has a number of beneficial uses. For example, we use ionizing radiation in smoke detectors and to treat cancer or sterilize medical equipment. Nonetheless, ionizing radiation is potentially harmful if not used correctly. Consequently, the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) strictly regulates commerical and institutional uses of nuclear materials, including the following five major types of ionizing radiation:

Folks are arguing about the same thing.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I'm not the one changing definitions...
You're still making up strawman arguments and disrupting my thread. I did ask you not to do this as you threaten to shut it down.

Last edited:
I think a few of you need to understand the different types of radiation and what they do. I've already posted this elsewhere, but it applies well here;

This will help you understand how things work and very likely why releasing Tritium into the oceans is perfectly harmless.

(PS.. Don't eat the radioactive cookies...)

Tritium emits beta radiation, which basically cannot penetrate your skin, or a piece of cardboard, or a few feet of water. The problem like with all beta emitters is if they get inside your body, they can do damage to cells and organs (= chance of cancer)

Given how much it will be diluted it'll be a complete non-issue, that's the most important point, which the article at Forbes seems to miss
Not sure if this was mentioned already, but I think you might be confusing alpha particles with beta particles. Depending on their energy, they can penetrate the skin, unlike alpha particles, which pose more of a contact/ingestion hazard.

Not sure if this was mentioned already, but I think you might be confusing alpha particles with beta particles. Depending on their energy, they can penetrate the skin, unlike alpha particles, which pose more of a contact/ingestion hazard.
No, he had it right, for the most part.