• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Project: Retro Pentium 4

• Thread starter Deleted member 41019
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 41019

This is how the system looks as of 29/07/2015

IMG_2960.JPG

Hi all.

I'm somewhat new to the site and have decided to take the plunge and join the forums to share with you my love of all things computer related.

I'm am in the process of building my ideal Pentium 4 (socket 478) for my older games/software and as something I can put away for a few years and bring out the loft to show my two kids what I feel was a really cool stage in the desktop PC's evolution.

So a bit of history before we move on to a few pictures. I brought the system from a lad in Cambridge for the sum of £20 as I buy/sell/repair PC's on my own since both me and my other half lost our jobs in the industry do to the company outsourcing. When I got home I took a good look at the PC and realised there could be some potential to build a really hot little system out of something that when new was a pile of rubbish.

The system in question is a HP D230MT a basic little micro tower that was made back in 2005 and retailed here for about £250 new. I wanted too see just how 'modern' I could make the system and see if the old 478 architecture had any real life left in it. A friend of mine called me crazy as he firmly believes that anything more then 4-5 years old is old and no use and he gave me a little challenge and that was too see how far I could upgrade the system and see if an old HP desktop running a 478 chip could still be used today with any form of speed.

The only thing was I could not change the case or the motherboard but everything else was subject to change. So like some sort of wanna-be superhero I flew to the keyboard and just missed stepping on the cat to jump on old eBay and source some parts.

Now the original specs were:

2.4Ghz Pentium 4 with a 400Mhz FSB
256MB of DDR333
40GB Hard drive of some nature (OEM stickers covered up the brand)
Onboard video (about 16MB of shared *shudders*)
DVD-ROM drive that had packed in
and last of all some cheapo 250w PSU

I purchased the following parts:

3.06Ghz Pentium 4 (0.13m)
2GB of Crucial DDR400
250GB Seagate IDE hard drive with a 7000.3RPM rated speed
and finally a nice ATI HD3650 with 1GB of dedicated GDDR2 memory

After a lot of messing about and tweaking the hell out of the O/S the system ran everything thrown at it like a beast but after a few days of playing around I got bored.

I really wanted a Pentium 4 Prescott core, the EE edition would be lovely but they command high prices online so I thought I would just leave it until I get a call. Someone I knew through a friend was giving away his collection of old systems and asked me if I wanted them, of course I said yes. Little did I know one of them would have a Gigabyte GA-8IG1000MK!

This was great news as I could now think about at least upgrading to a 90nm CPU but I was in for one more shock. While lifting the heatsink and rubbing off the old compound with a lint free cloth I nearly wet myself! There was staring me in the face a Pentium 4 EE!! 3.4Ghz of overheating goodness!

So out with the old HP motherboard and after a bit of refurbishment and a good deep clean the system was built with a lot of new parts and is sat on my desk burring away waiting for me to get back on with playing some old GTA3

The system now stands in the HP case (but not for long) with the following:

3.4Ghz Intel Pentium 4 HT EE with a 800Mhz FSB and 1MB of level2 cache.
3GB of DDR400 memory from Crucial
500W Liteon PSU
The ATI HD3650 and 250GB Seagate HDD

Now though I want to over clock the system and sort out thermals so I will be asking for a little advice a bit later :)

One final thing, the front of the system is black and should be silver but I hated the silver and went looking for a fascia from a D220MT as that was black. it took me 4-5 months of hard looking but i finally found one in the U.S and had it shipped over to the UK.
DSCF1849.JPG
DSCF1850.JPG
DSCF1851.JPG
DSCF1852.JPG
DSCF1853.JPG
DSCF1854.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 41019

Ok so I am looking at some parts and have settled on the following:

New Case: This as I already have the larger of these cases and they are built really well and have sound proofing everywhere :)

New Heatsink for the CPU: This or This

I have an issue with the GPU cooler. I want to overclock the video card but the stock heatsink is just so bad. So I am looking at the following but I don't know what one to buy.

There is a choice of two:

This one or This one

I also found this but I am not 100% about it.

These will be the parts that really finish the system off. After this I very much doubt I will put any more money toward this system as there is not much more I could do with it.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I'm not surprised that your P4 runs well. I've got a P4 2.8 Northwood with HT which runs Windows 7 just fine. In fact, it's overclocked to 3.5GHz to this day on an Abit (ah, Abit...) AI7 mobo and runs solid as a rock.

System Name Old Gateway / Steam Deck OLED LE
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz / Jupiter 4c 8t
Motherboard Gateway / Valve
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3 / 16gb DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB / Navi II 8CU
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD / 1TB nvme
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz / 800p OLED
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
Power Supply 380w oem / 65w valve USB-C
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100 / virtual
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10 / Steam OS
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps
for the cpu cooler go with the tower design so you can position the airflow to the back of the case and out its exhaust fan. for the gpu, the akasa cooler looks great and actually lists your card as compatible, though any overclock you get on the gpu part will be limited, as far as actual performance gains, by the DDR2 memory. If you can find a model with DDR3 that would help quite a bit. as for that power supply, 500w is enough but what are the specs on the 12v rails? keep in mind using any of those 2 gpu coolers may require you to move that sound card down a slot, don't worry about the LAN card, you can get a USB network adapter if needed. or if the cooler fits with the sound card in its current location, but is starved for airflow, just swap the sound card and LAN card around, the low profile LAN card will allow the fans to get more airflow. You may want to save the money from the gpu cooler and get this instead... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIS-ATI-R...698?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item4d16cd531a

yea i remember my 775 days... had a Pentium D 920 overclocked to 3.5ghz on an AsRock 4CoreDual-VSTA. I got a custom bios for it from some german programmer and it allowed official support for 2x2gb ram. though i later found out that a Pentium DualCore e5300 at stock out performed my 3.5ghz Pentium D. either way, it played Crysis just fine with a 9600GT and ran at Med-High settings at 1280*1024 with avg 30fps. I could go on and on about all the things that asrock board has been though, but that'd be quite a wall of text, needless to say its still running after 6 1/2 years. hmm... come to think of it my ram is getting pretty old... 4 yrs now

edit: if you decide to go with that 4670, this may be of interest... http://www.hwcompare.com/3057/geforce-9600-gt-512mb-vs-radeon-hd-4670-512mb/
granted they may have a more powerful cpu, but that EE is still pretty capable

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 41019

for the cpu cooler go with the tower design so you can position the airflow to the back of the case and out its exhaust fan. for the gpu, the akasa cooler looks great and actually lists your card as compatible, though any overclock you get on the gpu part will be limited, as far as actual performance gains, by the DDR2 memory. If you can find a model with DDR3 that would help quite a bit. as for that power supply, 500w is enough but what are the specs on the 12v rails? keep in mind using any of those 2 gpu coolers may require you to move that sound card down a slot, don't worry about the LAN card, you can get a USB network adapter if needed. or if the cooler fits with the sound card in its current location, but is starved for airflow, just swap the sound card and LAN card around, the low profile LAN card will allow the fans to get more airflow. You may want to save the money from the gpu cooler and get this instead... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIS-ATI-R...698?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item4d16cd531a

Must say I have been looking at that video card but money is a bit tight. The system as it is now will do just fine or at least it will have to as the other half is getting ever nearer the knife draw lol

The way the PCI cards are will be changed completely as the network card is not needed (I was testing something out) and the sound card will be booted down to the very bottom of the new case. The PSU is covered up at the moment but I'm very much thinking about replacing it with a nice Corsair semi modular from their builder series as this PSU seems to 'hum' a bit.

Uh, while it is cool, you are starting to pour a lot of money in it lol. I mean ~70 quid just for the coolers is way to much for my taste. You can get c2d based system for that :/ Sure, C2D may not be retro but neither is your hd3650 hehe. How are the ati agp drivers treating you btw? Last time i played with one of those it was a complete nightmare. Try to get some second hand cheaper coolers that would do the job, but if money is no issue hey..the world is yours ^^

I too have got a P4 system running for my parents to browse and play some games from time to time. Its a P4 2.4C northy on Intel 875PBZ mobo with 1.5GB DDR400 and a radeon 9200 card. Had an idea to beef it up a lil bit, but couldnt find adequate parts in my country and if i did, ppl wanted fortune for them so i gave up. My idea was to get 3.2ghz northwood coz its not THAT hot (have a zalman 7700cu) and a 6800GT coz i always wanted one of those but couldnt afford it back then hehe. I also have an AC NV5 silencer to pair it with. ACtually my first idea was to get the gainward 7800gs+ (remember the disguised 7900GT beast?), but had no luck finding one hehe. Thats my advice to you if you want to keep the retro spirit. ATI HD cards are nice (at least on paper), but i can find em in stores today - not retro :)

System Name Old Gateway / Steam Deck OLED LE
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz / Jupiter 4c 8t
Motherboard Gateway / Valve
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3 / 16gb DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB / Navi II 8CU
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD / 1TB nvme
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz / 800p OLED
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
Power Supply 380w oem / 65w valve USB-C
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100 / virtual
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10 / Steam OS
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps
their builder series is nice, ... i've got a CX500 powering my current setup.

D

Deleted member 41019

Uh, while it is cool, you are starting to pour a lot of money in it lol. I mean ~70 quid just for the coolers is way to much for my taste. You can get c2d based system for that :/ Sure, C2D may not be retro but neither is your hd3650 hehe. How are the ati agp drivers treating you btw? Last time i played with one of those it was a complete nightmare. Try to get some second hand cheaper coolers that would do the job, but if money is no issue hey..the world is yours ^^

I too have got a P4 system running for my parents to browse and play some games from time to time. Its a P4 2.4C northy on Intel 875PBZ mobo with 1.5GB DDR400 and a radeon 9200 card. Had an idea to beef it up a lil bit, but couldnt find adequate parts in my country and if i did, ppl wanted fortune for them so i gave up. My idea was to get 3.2ghz northwood coz its not THAT hot (have a zalman 7700cu) and a 6800GT coz i always wanted one of those but couldnt afford it back then hehe. I also have an AC NV5 silencer to pair it with. ACtually my first idea was to get the gainward 7800gs+ (remember the disguised 7900GT beast?), but had no luck finding one hehe. Thats my advice to you if you want to keep the retro spirit. ATI HD cards are nice (at least on paper), but i can find em in stores today - not retro :)

Yeah the GPU is a bit OP for the system but the system was built just to give me the best from an era of tech and gaming that I really enjoyed. The drivers for the card work just fine to be honest I have had no issues at all with any games thrown at it and have sat and run the ATItool from here for ages and the card sat running at just over 200fps and gave no errors at all.

I have sat and had a think about it and really all I need (NEED lol) to change is the CPU cooler as this P4 sits at 65-70 degrees C on idle so I think the nice Scythe Mugen will do for now and I'll retro fit a 40/80mm intake fan in the front. At least then the system will be a bit of a 'sleeper' in that it looks stock until you go under the hood :)

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
I got a real nice EVGA 9800GT 1MB PCI-E card for $20 shipped off ebay. You can find 7800GX2's and ultras for real cheap if you really want to go retro p4.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I got a real nice EVGA 9800GT 1MB PCI-E card for $20 shipped off ebay. You can find 7800GX2's and ultras for real cheap if you really want to go retro p4.

Pretty sure that board has an AGP slot, not a PCI-E slot.

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
Congrats on the build mate.

I too have a soft spot for that era.

I've currently got an ic7 max3, P4 Prescott HT @ 4.25, ddr500 and 3850 agp all setup waiting for the (ON) button to get pushed.

BTW my cpu is water cooled via an extremely old and probably one of the first socket 478 blocks!!

Good luck with the build mate and enjoy. :)

System Name Grond
Processor Ryen 5 3600x PBO ~ 4.4GHz / fabric at 1900
Motherboard MSI b550 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm CPU w/ am4 mounting bracket+ 2 RX360 radiator + xspc Razor R9-290 w/ backplate
Memory 32gb Crucial Ballistix @ 3800
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290 w/ XSPC Razor full cover block and backplate
Storage WD SN850 1tb-OS, SN750 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo 1tb, WD blue hdd 4tb
Display(s) Samsung 23" 120hz 3d LCD w/ 3d glasses, using 'lightboost' trick
Case NZXT H630 white watercooling case
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek ALC 1200+ Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply XFX Pro 850 XXX semi-modular
Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
Keyboard Steelseries 6 v2
Software Windows 10 Pro (Had some mystery error on Win7 and decided to go W10)
I've got a couple of old junkers specifically for playing games made during their era, haven't fired them up in a while though.
Nice work, it's fun tinkering around with older hardware.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I've got a couple of old junkers specifically for playing games made during their era, haven't fired them up in a while though.
Nice work, it's fun tinkering around with older hardware.
Absolutely! It almost makes me want to pull out my old 478 Northwood Celeron. :p

System Name Grond
Processor Ryen 5 3600x PBO ~ 4.4GHz / fabric at 1900
Motherboard MSI b550 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm CPU w/ am4 mounting bracket+ 2 RX360 radiator + xspc Razor R9-290 w/ backplate
Memory 32gb Crucial Ballistix @ 3800
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290 w/ XSPC Razor full cover block and backplate
Storage WD SN850 1tb-OS, SN750 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo 1tb, WD blue hdd 4tb
Display(s) Samsung 23" 120hz 3d LCD w/ 3d glasses, using 'lightboost' trick
Case NZXT H630 white watercooling case
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek ALC 1200+ Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply XFX Pro 850 XXX semi-modular
Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
Keyboard Steelseries 6 v2
Software Windows 10 Pro (Had some mystery error on Win7 and decided to go W10)
This past year I upgraded some family members main PCs. Couple P4s and some socket A AMD setups.
Was thinking about using the old parts and setting up a beowulf cluster just for kicks.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
LOL my router at home is a P4 northwood with 1GB of ram and a PCIX dual gig nic card running IPcop Linux distro

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
System Name Minerva / Remus
Processor i9 10900KF (5.1Ghz) / Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming Z490 / MSI 550 Pro
Cooling Corsair iCUE H150i / Air Cooler
Memory 64Gb Crucial Ballistix (3200) / 16GB Crucial Ballistix (3200)
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf 3070 Ti / Quadro P1000
Storage 16TB / 20TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF + HP z27 / Dell P22
Case Fractal Design 7 XL / MSi
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD
Power Supply Corsair HX750W Modular / Corsair CX550
Mouse Logitech G502 / G602
Keyboard Havit Kalih Blue Switch /
Software Win 10 Pro / Ubuntu 20.04
Benchmark Scores Suggestions.
This is funny. I recently decided to get my P4 2.4Ghz Northwood as well up and running in a case i had a while ago. Built a P4 2.4Ghz 2x512mb DDR400, and an FX5900XT card. Cant find my cooler though so ill need to look for one.

System Name Bay2- Lowerbay/ HP 3770/T3500-2+T3500-3+T3500-4/ Opti-Con/Orange/White/Grey
Processor i3 2120's/ i7 3770/ x5670's/ i5 2400/Ryzen 2700/Ryzen 2700/R7 3700x
Motherboard HP UltraSlim's/ HP mid size/ Dell T3500 workstation's/ Dell 390/B450 AorusM/B450 AorusM/B550 AorusM
Cooling All stock coolers/Grey has an H-60
Memory 2GB/ 4GB/ 12 GB 3 chan/ 4GB sammy/T-Force 16GB 3200/XPG 16GB 3000/Ballistic 3600 16GB
Video Card(s) HD2000's/ HD 2000/ 1 MSI GT710,2x MSI R7 240's/ HD4000/ Red Dragon 580/Sapphire 580/Sapphire 580
Storage ?HDD's/ 500 GB-er's/ 500 GB/2.5 Samsung 500GB HDD+WD Black 1TB/ WD Black 500GB M.2/Corsair MP600 M.2
Display(s) 1920x1080/ ViewSonic VX24568 between the rest/1080p TV-Grey
Case HP 8200 UltraSlim's/ HP 8200 mid tower/Dell T3500's/ Dell 390/SilverStone Kublai KL06/NZXT H510 W x2
Audio Device(s) Sonic Master/ onboard's/ Beeper's!
Power Supply 19.5 volt bricks/ Dell PSU/ 525W sumptin/ same/Seasonic 750 80+Gold/EVGA 500 80+/Antec 650 80+Gold
Mouse cheap GigaWire930, CMStorm Havoc + Logitech M510 wireless/iGear usb x2/MX 900 wireless kit 4 Grey
Keyboard Dynex, 2 no name, SYX and a Logitech. All full sized and USB. MX900 kit for Grey
Software Mint 18 Sylvia/ Opti-Con Mint KDE/ T3500's on Kubuntu/HP 3770 is Win 10/Win 10 Pro/Win 10 Pro/Win10
Benchmark Scores World Community Grid is my benchmark!!
I have a P4, see specs, that is in storage. I maxed it out for Crunching WCG, on Linux Mint. Can't wait to get that, and my Socket A, back running. Not to mention the Mad Cruncher... One of these days...:D

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Tempted to find parts to resurrect a skt 939 build

System Name Minerva / Remus
Processor i9 10900KF (5.1Ghz) / Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming Z490 / MSI 550 Pro
Cooling Corsair iCUE H150i / Air Cooler
Memory 64Gb Crucial Ballistix (3200) / 16GB Crucial Ballistix (3200)
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf 3070 Ti / Quadro P1000
Storage 16TB / 20TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF + HP z27 / Dell P22
Case Fractal Design 7 XL / MSi
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD
Power Supply Corsair HX750W Modular / Corsair CX550
Mouse Logitech G502 / G602
Keyboard Havit Kalih Blue Switch /
Software Win 10 Pro / Ubuntu 20.04
Benchmark Scores Suggestions.

I wish i could find a 939 motherboard but they are a bit expensive if you look for a decent one. Still have my x2 3800+ and i cant find a good board to use it.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
I wish i could find a 939 motherboard but they are a bit expensive if you look for a decent one. Still have my x2 3800+ and i cant find a good board to use it.

I have the exact same cpu. There are a few boards on ebay floating about. Quite a lot of them are from Australia and collection only - at least for M-ATX boards which is what im looking for

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
And I was beginning to wonder if I'd be able to sell my two P4 3.2Ghz Northwoods, LOL! I guess somebody on ebay will want them!

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Put a bullet in that worthless chip and find an athlon XP (if you're going for that 2002 era). I have one in the basement LOL. At least it's a respectable piece of hardware.

I'm still using my socket 939 as a test PC.

Buy a used Lanparty. I miss DFI :( I made a gaming rig with a 3800+. Oced to 2.8 GHz. One core would do 3+ stable, but the other crapped out at 2.9.

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home

Do it and ill join you lol as Ive had 3 939 systems in the past and still own 1.5 of them. One I sold the CPU out of to a mate (x2 4600+) the 2nd is on lend to a friend and its a X2 3800+ with a ATI 3850 GPU powering it. The third I still own and its the FX-57 with a 9600GT. I still have the mobo that the X2 4600+ came out of and its a SLi Gigabyte board and its for sale when I can be bothered to pull it of the case haha.

P4 systems I have a good 3here at the moment also that Ill be stripping and selling soon. If you live in AUS give me a call and I might be able to help you out. (Skt 478s)