• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Real Temp Feature Requests

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
That's a good idea R1_

Unfortunately I haven't had enough time to work on RealTemp lately. I rarely see anyone using that feature in screen shots but I agree that it would look better if they were side by side. I will put it on the things to do list. I have mostly been busy overclocking my 3570K. Debating whether to hit it with a big hammer to knock the lid off of it. I probably shouldn't but I probably will anyhow.

Nice overclock. My E8400 was a fun chip until I abused it too much running it without a heatsink in the name of science. I remember it saw over 4500 MHz for some suicide runs with enough voltage to light up any small town. :)

It seemed to reach a point where it was no longer stable running 64 bit code. Wonder why?

Reactions: R1_

Angel

This may seam like a random request but is there any plans to release an Android app? I love Real Temp an use it on my machine but when running things in full screen I would like to be able to monitor the temps on either a tablet or phone (Android being my preference).

Bruce Dawson

Rename Minimum/Maximum labels

The Minimum and Maximum fields on the RealTemp main screen are initially confusing. I thought they were the maximum temperature allowed, not the maximum temperature seen. It would be useful to clarify that by renaming them to Minimum/Maximum Recorded Temperature

ETW integration would be valuable

I sometimes record ETW traces from customers who are playing Valve games and I sometimes see evidence of thermal throttling in these traces. However, proving that thermal throttling is the problem is quite painful. I recently resolved one of these cases by getting the customer to install RealTemp and pointing out that their CPU temperatures were hitting 105 degrees celsius.

It would be really handy if RealTemp would emit custom ETW events containing the temperature. I could then record those along with all the other data (CPU sampling, context switches, GPU load, etc.) and see how the maximum and current CPU temperatures correlate with performance.

Another alternative would be if RealTemp provided an API that I would query to get this information.

The log file is the obvious alternative, but that doesn't get the temperature data into the same timeline as the other data.

If you're interested in the ETW idea then I can supply sample code. I've blogged about the concepts a lot at:
http://randomascii.wordpress.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

argonaut

running a command EVERY time temp rises above a given level

It would be good if a command could be set to run _every_ time the temperature passes a certain level, without having to manually reset. (Maybe with a settable minimum interval that must have passed since the last alarm, to prevent too-frequent invocations). Also, to run another command when, after overheating, the temperature drops below a given level.

Use case: when running Folding@Home, to pause the program whenever overheating happens, and restart it when the CPU has cooled down.

Ron

Feature Request: display Fan Speed

I would like to be able to monitor fan speeds (system & CPU) in addition to CPU temperature.
Temperature is only half the equation when maintaining and monitoring healthy PC cooling.

If temps are going up, first thing I want to know is: what are my fans doing?
Do I need to replace a fan?

Seeing fan speed also helps you correlate fan activity with system noise levels.

Please make this option available.

Thanks!
Ron

That's a good idea R1_

Unfortunately I haven't had enough time to work on RealTemp lately. I rarely see anyone using that feature in screen shots but I agree that it would look better if they were side by side. I will put it on the things to do list. I have mostly been busy overclocking my 3570K. Debating whether to hit it with a big hammer to knock the lid off of it. I probably shouldn't but I probably will anyhow.

Nice overclock. My E8400 was a fun chip until I abused it too much running it without a heatsink in the name of science. I remember it saw over 4500 MHz for some suicide runs with enough voltage to light up any small town. :)

It seemed to reach a point where it was no longer stable running 64 bit code. Wonder why?

Unclewebb, I'm still using RealTemp 3.70, though I do have one minor problem with it, the button for taskbar keeps setting itself up to stay in the taskbar when I minimize the program back to the tray, I have to unclick taskbar in settings and then click on ok, apply may as well not be there, then I can minimize to the tray without 3.70 going to the taskbar, when I open 3.70 again I have to repeat this all over again. Hopefully you can get back to 3.70 one day.

unclewebb

zoom314: It's possible that your settings are not being saved when you push on OK. The settings are supposed to get saved to the RealTemp.INI configuration file.

TaskBar=0

You should see that line in the INI file if you don't want RealTemp to minimize to the Task Bar and if you want it to minimize to the Task Bar, that should show the number 1.

If the RealTemp.INI file is closed when you click on OK in the Settings window, you should be able to open this file immediately, without having to exit RealTemp and your new selection should have been saved.

A big problem is that the RealTemp folder gets dragged somewhere that a user does not have full write access so the INI file gets write access turned off. I think this happens if you drag it directly to your C: drive. Download it again and unzip it directly to your Desktop just to test this out. Even simpler is you could go and right click on the RealTemp.INI file and make sure you have read and write access to that file. Make sure RealTemp is not still in the .zip archive. Some users run RealTemp from within a zip file and then none of the settings get saved.

I have done a lot of work to RealTemp over the last few months and I am almost ready to release another update at TechPowerUp. If you want to do some beta testing, let me know. I have a few days off from work coming up so I will have some more time then for project RealTemp. The next version will look something like this with a few more features for the recent Ivy and Haswell CPUs.

If you are still having problems, let me know what CPU and OS you are using.

zoom314: It's possible that your settings are not being saved when you push on OK. The settings are supposed to get saved to the RealTemp.INI configuration file.

TaskBar=0

You should see that line in the INI file if you don't want RealTemp to minimize to the Task Bar and if you want it to minimize to the Task Bar, that should show the number 1.

If the RealTemp.INI file is closed when you click on OK in the Settings window, you should be able to open this file immediately, without having to exit RealTemp and your new selection should have been saved.

A big problem is that the RealTemp folder gets dragged somewhere that a user does not have full write access so the INI file gets write access turned off. I think this happens if you drag it directly to your C: drive. Download it again and unzip it directly to your Desktop just to test this out. Even simpler is you could go and right click on the RealTemp.INI file and make sure you have read and write access to that file. Make sure RealTemp is not still in the .zip archive. Some users run RealTemp from within a zip file and then none of the settings get saved.

I have done a lot of work to RealTemp over the last few months and I am almost ready to release another update at TechPowerUp. If you want to do some beta testing, let me know. I have a few days off from work coming up so I will have some more time then for project RealTemp. The next version will look something like this with a few more features for the recent Ivy and Haswell CPUs.

http://imageshack.us/a/img593/2325/cdld.png

If you are still having problems, let me know what CPU and OS you are using.
The problem doesn't always happen and I was able to right click on the ini file as if I wanted to edit the file, I found I could save info to it as the OS asked if I wanted to save the contents or not, since I had forgot to do a ctrl-f in notepad as I'd typed out 'task' altering the ini file mentioned. Still it's a good program and I use it all the time, thanks.
C:\Users\actual\Documents\RealTemp\RealTemp.exe
This is where I keep the files, if not ok I could reinstall elsewhere.
i5 750 cpu, Win7 Pro x64 sp1.

deniskaaaa

Processor core i7 920 (c0/c1)
Motherboard ms-7543(area 51)
Cooling water 2.0
Memory kingmax nano 3*2 gg
Video Card(s) palit gts 250
Storage wd 1 tb, wd 1.5 tb
Display(s) acer v223w
Case aero cool vs-4
Audio Device(s) int
Power Supply hipro 520 watt
real temp

Hello I am a Russian user. and I have a question about the real temp... as in the settings to disable C1E? well, so when you start windows always been off mode C1E. would disable in realtemp.ini, but there is no such.

unclewebb

You can try using ThrottleStop to enable or disable C1E. RealTemp does not save the state of C1E and RealTemp does not restore the C1E state after you boot up. Maybe some day I will add this feature to RealTemp. What CPU model do you have?

ThrottleStop 5.00
http://www.techinferno.com/downloads/

deniskaaaa

Processor core i7 920 (c0/c1)
Motherboard ms-7543(area 51)
Cooling water 2.0
Memory kingmax nano 3*2 gg
Video Card(s) palit gts 250
Storage wd 1 tb, wd 1.5 tb
Display(s) acer v223w
Case aero cool vs-4
Audio Device(s) int
Power Supply hipro 520 watt
core i7 920 c0/c1

Processor Intel i7-5820K @ 4.5Ghz (1.284v , 25*C)
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer
Cooling NZXT Kraken X61
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC - Blower fan
Case Corsair Carbide Series Air 540
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair TX850
Benchmark Scores Rosewill RHSP-13001: Complete system with dual lcd and peripherals @LOAD ~$35/Mo.
Is there an option to display temps for multiple GPU's?

Cooling NZXT Kraken X61
Benchmark Scores Rosewill RHSP-13001: Complete system with dual lcd and peripherals @LOAD ~$35/Mo.
"Doh " Not in a Program that measures and Reports CPU Details
TRY GPUz
found here http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

I believe you're thinking of CPU-Z... this is real-temp which monitors Temperature readings of both CPU and GPU's, which outputs them into the notification bar for easy monitoring/reading.

If there is an option to display the temps of multiple GPU's then I'm obviously overlooking it. Then again there is only an option to disable GPU and ATI / Nvidia branded cards. I don't see anything else related to GPU options beyond that.

Last edited:

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
I believe you're thinking of CPU-Z... this is real-temp which monitors Temperature readings of both CPU and GPU's.

Im running Real TempGT 3.7 and there is NO OPTION TO MONITOR GPU TEMPS
only CPU
@Freezer your the one confusing software you want Graphics temps try GPUz as linked above
@unclewebb as Author Please confirm

Last edited:
Cooling NZXT Kraken X61
Im running Real TempGT 3.7 and there is NO OPTION TO MONITOR GPU TEMPS
only CPU
@Freezer your the one confusing software you want Graphics temps try GPUz as linked above
@unclewebb as Author Please confirm

Take a look again. It's also possible that you haven't setup the notification bar to display the GPU temp reading.

unclewebb

RealTemp GT has had the ability to monitor GPU temps for a long time as long as the driver you are using supports that feature. If you are using SLI, it will sample both GPUs and report the highest GPU temperature on the main screen but if you click on the GPU button, it will let you view data for the GPUs individually. GPU monitoring is optional. You have to go into the Options / Settings window and turn this feature on.

Cooling NZXT Kraken X61
I'm not using SLI but have dual GPU's. If it's not too much to ask I would like to see an option for multiple GPU temp read outs either within the notification bar and/or combined in the tool-tip.

System Name HP Pavilion - 15-cw1068wm
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3500 U
Motherboard HP
Cooling standard laptop cooling
Memory 16 gb DDR4
Video Card(s) Radeon™ Vega 8 Graphics
Storage 125 gb internal M.2 SSD and 1 TB internal laptop drive.
Display(s) Built in
Case Laptop
Audio Device(s) built in B&O audio.
Power Supply Laptop 45w
Mouse track pad , and SteelSeries mouse.
Keyboard built in.
Software Windows 10 pro
does realtemp work on windows 10 pro thanks.

popov895

RealTemp doesn't save Clock Modulation settings after suspend/resume.
P.S. RealTemp 3.70, Windows 7 SP1 x64.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
@unclewebb will there be a new release anytime soon?
Realtemp 3.70 reads incorrect CPU speeds and possible incorrect loads on Skylake.

unclewebb

There will definitely be a new release but probably not anytime soon. I would rather be outside than inside programming during the summer.

I bought a Core i3-6100 for testing purposes and found out that after 10 years, Intel decided to change how some of their internal timers work. I have come up with a possible fix but I haven't added the new code to RealTemp yet. I have added this new code to ThrottleStop 8.20 and the MHz and Load (C0%) are looking a lot better.

1 out of 4 threads were active during this benchmark test so the total C0% is right where it should be.
Send me a PM if you want to do some beta testing.