• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ryzen 1700 Pins Bent

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Ok, that's a good photo, but there are traces of the base of the pin still left. The OP photo, I zoom in as much as I can to see if their is any traces of the base of the pin & it's very hard to tell, but I see nothing of the base of the pin.

OP needs to upload a better photo of the missing pin, as with my eyes I can't see any traces of it. As I said, if there is any trace of the base of the pin still left, then it's 100% OP fault for incorrect removal of the processor. If the base of the pin is completely gone, then it's partly AMD fault (poor soldering).
If he bent the other pins, is that also AMD's fault?

None of it is AMDs fault, in all fairness. This was user error. However... my offer stands to try to get it working for him. I guarantee you that AMD will reject it.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Have to agree, if the CPU was working before that decreases the chance of it being a defective solder joint and since it took some force to break it out I seriously doubt AMD will warranty it.

Even if the entire pin is missing one could see the jagged edges of the solder from where the pin was held indicating it was broken off when viewed under a microscope. The only way it would be ruled their fault would be for the damage to indicate the entire pin came out and that the solder didn't have a good "Hold" onto the pin based on the leftover pattern present, that can also be determined under a microscope.
They can also look around for deformities of the other pins too and that can be determined easily if any in that area were bent indicating it was damage instead of defect to the broken pin.

I do hope it's covered somehow but right now I can't see it being ruled defective.

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
I pulled my CPU out like this not so long back, thankfully no bent or broken pins but I feel your pain man, as others have suggested take it to a jewellers and see if you can get it fixed, even if you order a 1700x then you can flog this one rather than throwing it in the bin.

D

Deleted member 67555

EXACTLY. I picture this as a bull in a china shop thing, honestly. I've pulled out AMD processors before by the heatsink, but it was straight up and nothing was bent (lucky!!!)

I literally just did exactly this 3 weeks ago.
I put the stock cooler on a r5-1600 for 3 whole hours before deciding to use an h60 and I thought I broke the seal with a twist and ended up pulling it strait out of the socket... Was all good nothing bent or missing.

System Name Lynni PS \ Lenowo TwinkPad T480
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700 Raphael \ i7-8550U Kaby Lake-R
Motherboard ASRock B650M PG Riptide Bios v. 2.02 AMD AGESA 1.1.0.0 \ Lenowo 20L60036MX Bios 1.47
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black (Only middle fan) \ Lenowo WN-2
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB DDR5 6000MHZ CL36-36-36-96 AMD EXPO \ Willk Elektronik 2x16GB 2666MHZ CL17
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX™ 4070 Dual OC GPU: 2325-2355 MEM: 1462| Nvidia GeForce MX™ 150 2GB GDDR5 Micron
Storage Gigabyte M30 1TB|Sabrent Rocket 2TB| HDD: 10TB|1TB \ SKHynix 256GB 2242 3x2 | WD SN700 1TB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 27GP850-B 1440p@165Hz | LG 48CX OLED 4K HDR | AUO 14" 1440p IPS
Case Asus Prime AP201 White Mesh | Lenowo T480 chassis
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 12 M 750W Goldie | 65W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeedy Wireless | Lenowo TouchPad & Logitech G305
Keyboard Akko 3108 DS Horizon V2 Cream Yellow | T480 UK Lumi
Software Win11 Pro 23H2 UK
Benchmark Scores 3DMARK: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/89434432? GPU-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details/v3zbr
Sorry for not reading the whole thread but you can ask a local jeweler to bend the pins back they can sometimes do it.

I once when I was younger fixed a AMD socket 754 CPU where over half of the pins were bended to s*** for a friend that got it because the owner got bad and throw it out for some unknown reason.

I did manage to bend back all the pins and it works beautifully ran with no issues at all everything worked, now a days I am shaky and doesn't do more then a sample computers, anything smaller like cellphones no thank you :roll:

@trickson I hope you will survive your cancer and that your dog Chip will get better soon:lovetpu:

System Name Budget AMD System
Processor Threadripper 1900X @ 4.1Ghz (100x41 @ 1.3250V)
Motherboard Gigabyte X399 Aorus Gaming 7
Cooling EKWB X399 Monoblock
Memory 4x8GB GSkill TridentZ RGB 14-14-14-32 CR1 @ 3266
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX Vega₆⁴ Liquid @ 1,800Mhz Core, 1025Mhz HBM2
Storage 1x ADATA SX8200 NVMe, 1x Segate 2.5" FireCuda 2TB SATA, 1x 500GB HGST SATA
Display(s) Vizio 22" 1080p 60hz TV (Samsung Panel)
Case Corsair 570X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X Series 850W KM3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
My 2 cents- Send it to Louis Rossman and have him try it. He's usually pretty reasonable.

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
Anyone want the thing? It is yours! Just send me a PM. and we can work out shipping it to you. What a total lose. I just know one of you eggheads out there want it will fix it and use it to blow me away so well here is your chance eggheads... It don't look like AMD is going to cover this at all.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Anyone want the thing? It is yours! Just send me a PM. and we can work out shipping it to you. What a total lose. I just know one of you eggheads out there want it will fix it and use it to blow me away so well here is your chance eggheads... It don't look like AMD is going to cover this at all.
Seriously? I don't know if I could fix it but would be happy to take it off of your hands anyway.

But honestly I'd implore you to hold onto it yourself. For now consider it a loss and hide it away. Get up and running with the new one and cool down. Get back to enjoying a working build for a while. Pick it up again on a rainy day later on and try to fix it. That way, there's nothing on the line and nothing to get frustrated about. That's what I'd do.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
TL DR

Da FUQ? This isn't AMD's fault. When a heatsink is removed properly, with a slight twist to help break that 'seal' and/or when its still warm and the paste is less viscous, it comes right off. You've (the OP) has had AMD CPUs with pins forever. This isn't new, how to take the heatsink off.

You can try to RMA the CPU damaged by human error... I would be 100% honest and see what AMD says. Sorry that happened man. I hope they return it for you.

EDIT: You already RMA'd it.. the only way they will accept it is if you lied. :(

When it happened to me, it didn't "come right off". The PC had been running for quite a while before i shut it down to swap the cooler but it hadn't been doing anything very demanding, tbh.

What i didn't do @ the time was attempting the slight twist and was just trying to pull it out. I don't think i pulled that hard but then the cooler suddenly got free, except the CPU was still attached to it: i was in shock and thought i had broken the CPU and / or board.

It has happened to other people as well, such as this dude: unlike me, he attempted the slight twist but that didn't work.

It happened as well to @ least another TPU member besides OP and me, as mentioned in the 1st link above.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Yes seriously, It is for that one special egghead that knows his skills and can get it working. If I give it to you the deal is you get it running.
This is how I see it, You all have skills here, this CPU is NOT old NOT is it slow. It is all about the pins. I can not see that good nor do I have the equipment nor skills needed to fix this CPU.
But for the one egghead on TPU that can get it running then guess what you got a hell of deal thanks to my egg headed blunder.
So let me say it again any one that can and is willing to put up them skills you say you have the CPU is up for FREE!

Yes seriously, It is for that one special egghead that knows his skills and can get it working. If I give it to you the deal is you get it running.
This is how I see it, You all have skills here, this CPU is NOT old NOT is it slow. It is all about the pins. I can not see that good nor do I have the equipment nor skills needed to fix this CPU.
But for the one egghead on TPU that can get it running then guess what you got a hell of deal thanks to my egg headed blunder.
So let me say it again any one that can and is willing to put up them skills you say you have the CPU is up for FREE!

Or you can sell it on Ebay (or possibly by other means) and probably get at least $50 (USD) for it. Check sold listings for Ryzen 7 processors with their condition listed as "For parts or not working" and you'll see that they're often selling for over $100 (USD). Include the stock RGB cooler and I'm sure people will be willing to pay even more.

I can fix it. I can do it in such a way you can't even tell it's even been repaired with the naked eye. Unfortunately I do not do repairs or sell anything to the public. All of my work is private.

Put it on EBAY if you want to sell it. I will not buy it, as i prefer older computers.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
I can fix it. I can do it in such a way you can't even tell it's even been repaired with the naked eye. Unfortunately I do not do repairs or sell anything to the public. All of my work is private.

Put it on EBAY if you want to sell it. I will not buy it, as i prefer older computers.
WOW how Bold!
You Say " I can FIX it in such a way you could not tell"? OKAY it is on I challenge you. You pay for the shipping it's your's and every one here will be waiting to see your skills! I mean it. Look I know I fed UP it's already been replaced with the 1700X so it is NOTHING but a thing.
All I want is your word you will post up clear before and after pics and full test runs at 4.0GHz that is where she loves to run.
It is up to you now.

If he bent the other pins, is that also AMD's fault?

The other bent pins is not AMD fault. If you send in a processor with just bent pins (nothing broken) I would expect AMD to look at this as a repair & may apply a fee for that repair. They would use a professional tools to straighten out the pins, but they would also look at the structure/weak points in the pin & would replace them, even if none of the pins were broken. This would reduce failure if the CPU was removed/inserted many time over.

The above posting is just a guess what I think AMD will do, but they may do something different.

WOW how Bold!
You Say " I can FIX it in such a way you could not tell"? OKAY it is on I challenge you. You pay for the shipping it's your's and every one here will be waiting to see your skills! I mean it. Look I know I fed UP it's already been replaced with the 1700X so it is NOTHING but a thing.
All I want is your word you will post up clear before and after pics and full test runs at 4.0GHz that is where she loves to run.
It is up to you now.

I have a full infrared workstation & I have already done such work on processors here, but I don't do work for the pubic. Even if I was thinking of taking this on, I will give the processor away, I do not sell to the pubic, My EBAY account reflects this, not a single item sold since joining in 2004.

EDIT: Put it on EBAY. If I change my mind & buy it, I will repair it & give it away to a lucky TPU user.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Seriously? I don't know if I could fix it but would be happy to take it off of your hands anyway.

But honestly I'd implore you to hold onto it yourself. For now consider it a loss and hide it away. Get up and running with the new one and cool down. Get back to enjoying a working build for a while. Pick it up again on a rainy day later on and try to fix it. That way, there's nothing on the line and nothing to get frustrated about. That's what I'd do.

I agree.
Take a little time to think about it before doing anything rash.

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
WOW how Bold!
It is up to you now.
Why do you seem to be so confrontational? I don't get it. You admit defeat on your current cpu (understandable), so buy another and offer to give yours away (which is really cool of you)... but the way you wrote it seems very mocking/confrontation in nature, as if you're issuing a challenge because you don't believe it's fixable. Maybe I'm reading into it way too far but that's how it comes across in text.

All I'm getting at is take a deep breath and try to unwind a bit, the world is not out to get you and we are all here to offer advice and help where we can. On the other hand negativity breeds more negativity, don't fall into that pit.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Why do you seem to be so confrontational? I don't get it. You admit defeat on your current cpu (understandable), so buy another and offer to give yours away (which is really cool of you)... but the way you wrote it seems very mocking/confrontation in nature, as if you're issuing a challenge because you don't believe it's fixable. Maybe I'm reading into it way too far but that's how it comes across in text.

All I'm getting at is take a deep breath and try to unwind a bit, the world is not out to get you and we are all here to offer advice and help where we can. On the other hand negativity breeds more negativity, don't fall into that pit.
No NO not at all confrontational. I really did do this FUBAR myself. I was stupid and was in a hurry to install a HSF and pressed way too hard and pooped it out of the socket did not know till it was too late.
I tell you this if you can fix it then give it away to a TPU member I would really like that. If you really can fix it and are willing to do it for a member on TPU I am all for that.
Really I just need some help getting it to you such as an address I will send it to you at no charge if that will sweeten the deal for you.

I mean it if you can fix it please do. I hate to see it go to waste because I am a F up.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Ugh... stop beating on yourself and have an ounce of self confidence.. YOU are not a fuck up!!!

You may have made a mistake and fucked THIS up, but come on...stop being a sad sack! Nobody wants to see people grovel and beat on themselves.

No NO not at all confrontational. I really did do this FUBAR myself. I was stupid and was in a hurry to install a HSF and pressed way too hard and pooped it out of the socket did not know till it was too late.
I tell you this if you can fix it then give it away to a TPU member I would really like that. If you really can fix it and are willing to do it for a member on TPU I am all for that.
Really I just need some help getting it to you such as an address I will send it to you at no charge if that will sweeten the deal for you.

I mean it if you can fix it please do. I hate to see it go to waste because I am a F up.

Ok let's bring this to an end.

If you have a EBAY account put it up for sale. This way you will get some return for your broken CPU. Put it up for sale "under bidding" so that everyone has a chance to get they hands on it. I will put in a bid, & if I win will return it back to a TPU member fully repaired free of charge.

Can you do this?

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Ok let's bring this to an end.

If you have a EBAY account put it up for sale. This way you will get some return for your broken CPU. Put it up for sale "under bidding" so that everyone has a chance to get they hands on it. I will put in a bid, & if I win will return it back to a TPU member fully repair free of charge.

Can you do this?

At this point good will or not this kind of thing needs to be taken to PM. This is not the BST section.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Ugh... stop beating on yourself and have an ounce of self confidence.. YOU are not a fuck up!!!

You may have made a mistake and fucked THIS up, but come on...stop being a sad sack! Nobody wants to see people grovel and beat on themselves.
If you can not admit your mistakes and have some self loathing (Humility) you will never learn a thing.
This taught me a lesson I was need be taught. Yes AT that time I was a complete F up. I was NOT in any frame of mind nor did I have the time, Yet MY happy ass decided to do it anyway!
Well it cost me, But a lesson learned is knowledge gained my friend! And punching myself now and then for it will not only keep me from doing it again, but also make me feel the pain of losing it. LOL.
At any rate AMD just sent me an Email asking how it happened I told them what I did. And even sent the pictures. Bet the ytell me ( a consumer of there PIN tech) I will have to pay for EVERYTHING shipping fixing EVERYTHING. I told them I will NOT pay for any shipping or any fixing as I have replaced it. I did however point out that I am a consumer of there crap and PINS on a CPU??? what day is this??? I said AMD is a BILLION+ a year corporation if you can not send me a new one and send out for this one then just forget it! Really I did. I just don't care really. I replaced it and really want to give this one away if
delshay Can.
Look I am who I am, I say what I mean and I ALWAYS DO WHAT I SAY! ONE THING I AM IS A MAN OF MY WORD!

AMD has till the next email then TPU you get it. If AMD does replace of fix it I tell you this I will set up a free raffle here on TPU to give it away! Deal?
Either way it is going t oget fixed and given away here on TPU so how does that sound?

IMG-9852.JPG

Here is another look at it. I know I such at taking pics too LOL.

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
My advice is you shouldn't give it away, you should find someone to repair it for you because it is fixable. The bent pins can be straightened and a skilled technician could solder a new pin on. Above, they suggested a youtuber that might do the repair. Ryzens are popular and the repair of it would be a popular video. We have all bent pins. I've bent pins on AMD 939, I bent pins on an Ivy Bridge laptop CPU (they still use pins), I bent pins inside an Intel 1155 motherboard socket (ouch). Thankfully I was able to fix these all because none broke off. Its a stressful experience, and at a bad time for you, so I completely understand. But the thing is saveable. You just have to find someone that can solder really well with a steady hand and they could solder the pin back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.