• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Big Useful List Of Free Useful Programs To Use Usually For Free

Any one know of a free, spyware free program to cut portions of an .mp4 and export them as .mp3 ? Thank you.

System Name octo1
Processor dual Xeon 2687W ES
Motherboard Supermicro
Cooling dual Noctua NH-D14
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
Any one know of a free, spyware free program to cut portions of an .mp4 and export them as .mp3 ? Thank you.
M00O software has an mp3 extractor program here - http://www.moo0.com/software/VideoToAudio/

It let's you extract mp3 audio from video files. I haven't tried it myself but I've used some of their other software.

Once you've extracted the audio, you should be able to use a free audio editing program to break the stream down in the way you want.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
Open source file shredder bitkiller

BitKiller securely shreds files and directories, removing them completely from your hard disk. It can quickly and efficiently overwrite files using anything from random data to the Gutmann method. It also changes filenames to make them harder to find. No setup or installation needed.

System Name BlueKnight
Processor Intel Celeron G1610 @ 2.60GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PH (rev. 1.0)
Memory 1x 4GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz (Kingston KVR13N9S8/4)
Video Card(s) Onboard
Storage 1x 160GB (Western Digital WD1600AAJS-75M0A0)
Display(s) 1x 20" 1600x900 (PHILIPS 200VW9FBJ/78)
Case μATX Case (Generic)
Power Supply 300W (Generic)
Software Debian GNU/Linux 8.7 (jessie)
M00O software has an mp3 extractor program here - http://www.moo0.com/software/VideoToAudio/

It let's you extract mp3 audio from video files. I haven't tried it myself but I've used some of their other software.

Once you've extracted the audio, you should be able to use a free audio editing program to break the stream down in the way you want.
Did you ever heard of FFmpeg? It does ALL that and MUCH MORE!

More than you can even imagine, I suppose. And I'm not overestimating it.

The Big Useful List Of Free Useful Programs To Use Usually For Free
For all your audio/video tasks: FFmpeg.
Nothing can beat it and you do not have to pay for it, but a donation is appreciated.

For all your movies and musics watching activities #1: VLC Media Player.
For average users, I have to agree it is definitely the best and most complete multimedia player. Free to use and play, it can still be the preferred choice for enthusiast people. It offers both GUI and Command line interface versions. It can do many things, from watching to streaming. It can record streams as well. Free to use and share, donations are appreciated.

For all your movies and musics watching activities #2: MPlayer.
Command line based multimedia player, it is very powerful and complete. It has great performance and many useful settings. It is current my favorite player. Multi platform support. There are also various GUI versions based on MPlayer if you prefer. Free to use and share, donation is appreciated.

For all your e-mail needs: Mozilla Thunderbird.
Mozilla Thunderbird is a mail client. One of the best alternative to Microsoft Outlook but with much more advantages.

For you music playback and organization: DeadBeef / Audacious / Clementine.
If you wanted something like Winamp, Windows Media Player of foobar then your hunt is over. Any of the 3 above you give you everything you want and you will be able to organize your music in a very organized way. Did you like them? Donate if you can to help them make it even better.

For all your audio editing needs: Audacity.
You can edit all your audio precisely with Audacity and it also has a wide range of features. It is very good and popular!

For all your CD Ripping tasks: CD paranoia.
Nothing can beat it, EAC is good but its biggest defect is that it is Windows ONLY. Free to use, but a donation is appreciated.

For all your office tasks: Apache OpenOffice or LibreOffice.
Nothing can beat them, MS Office is good but it will cost you a kidney or a liver and let's face it: It has childish interface while OpenOffice and LibreOffice can be used and shared for free and they're almost completely compatible with MS Office documents. While MS Office will limit you to Windows only, with OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice you can create and share your documents on other operating systems as well. Free to use, but a donation is appreciated.

For all your graphics work based on pixels: GIMP.
Let's face it, Adobe Photoshop is only well known and much used because of piracy, Adobe has to thank all the piracy it got till here.
And I doubt the average user will pay thousands of US dollars just to do basic or even more advanced work with it. Unless said user is rich or sold his body organs.
GIMP will do most things, if not all, Photoshop can do and with the big advantage it won't cost you a liver, a kidney or even worse your children to use it. Absolutely free to use, but if you can donate any amount to help the project, even a few cents is appreciated. Let's encourage those great developers!

For all your RAW photography needs: RawTherapee.
I have used already it is great. Support for newer cameras are added quite fast and many bugs are fixed every now and then.

For all your vector graphics work: InkScape.
Forget about Adobe Illustrator or CorelDraw. You can create absolutely everything you can imagine with InkScape. Still doubt!? See for yourself the amazing works PROFESSIONAL and AMATEUR people are creating with this free, open source and cross platform vector graphics program: https://inkscape.org/en/community/gallery/. Warning: You will be amazed!

For all your archiving/backup and file compression purposes: GNU Tar / GNU Gzip / XZ Utils / Bzip2.
You won't need anything more. Excellent compression ratio that is freely available in all platforms you can imagine. Obviously, you can decompress your files later with these same tools.

For all your Sega Genesis / MegaDrive / Master System emulation needs: KegaFusion / Gens.
You will be able to play all your Sega Genesis / MegaDrive / Master System console games with these excellent emulators. KegaFusion is not open source but it is freely available and has some cool features.

For all your video editing tasks: Kdenlive.
A great video editor for Linux/Unix systems.

For all your computing purposes: GNU Linux based Operating System.
Let's face it, average users don't need Windows to be happy or do their work. Are you sick of defragmenting your Windows disks or decreased system performance over time, bloating and viruses!? On Linux you don't have to worry about all of this and better yet: You don't have to pay hundreds of dollars for it, and basic support is freely available virtually anywhere. And forget about all other limitation and absurd rules Microsoft applies to you.

All the programs cited above are free to use, open source and cross platform unless otherwise stated. Why pay for software you are not sure will stay alive forever!? If open source development is stopped it can be resumed by ANYONE.

Did you know? About 100% of average users can be more than happy without Windows or proprietary software.

The main problem with proprietary / closed source softwares (e.g. Microsoft Windows, etc...) is that you don't know what's in there, it can have malicious code and back doors for spying you. That's another risk and problem. Open source software is more important than you imagine.

Then please, do not recommend your friends to download a pirated/cracked or any proprietary software (especially closed source) if he/she does not need it. Let's make the software world better!

Last edited:
What about a screen capture utility that records video in user selected areas, just like Snipping Tool but with video and audio capture. Thanks.

EDIT:
Call me stupid, i see only Linux variants, and the Windows one has a .7zip archive with some folders and one .bat file and that's it :confused:

Last edited:
System Name BlueKnight
Video Card(s) Onboard
Case μATX Case (Generic)
What about a screen capture utility that records video in user selected areas, just like Snipping Tool but with video and audio capture.
FFmpeg does that already. :rolleyes:

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
Capture.PNG GLARY UTILITIES

http://www.glarysoft.com/glary-utilities/download/

A brilliant free download I have used it for a couple of years.

Shows Windows boot time
. :fear: e.g. mine is 25 seconds.

Loads of cleanup and other utilities.

I strongly recommend this software

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Great thread, I'd like to add some of my favorite useful programs to the list, which are not well known like FF or VLC are, but are very nifty. Here's my "top three" I couldn't live without anymore:
#1: Always Mouse Wheel - Captures the window you're hovering on with your mouse so you can use its wheel without having to click on that window first. Also prevents unwanted changes to windows you have left. For those of us using multiple screens, it is a very useful tool to have. No install - just adds some registry entries. This must be my favorite program!
#2: Ave Folder BG - If you're tired of those blazing white Windows folder backgrounds, this small utility will let you choose any picture you like (of solid color or perhaps a nice pattern?) to replace that eyesore. You can choose the text color as well and it can be applied to sub folders automatically. No install - just run it (adds some reg entries) and let it start with Windows.
#3: Registrar Registry Manager - Finally an easy way to search for and delete multiple registry entries, i.e. entries left behind by malicious/unwanted/accidentally installed software that can't be killed by simply uninstalling it. I found it to be very effective and safe to use. It seems to have little restriction on what can be deleted however, so use with caution and only search for exact software names. Advanced users only! Still, this program was the only one that was able to remove the 700+ entries of Kaspersky left over after using their "uninstaller" safely for me, after changing to another AV solution.
So, there's my favorites. There are more, but I'm most happy to have found those three. :)

Last edited:
System Name Some computer stuff
Processor Mostly Intel or AMD
Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Storage Plenty Platters or SSDs or USBs
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Audio Device(s) There's one for my M7 Gene, Oh I have 3-4 PCI 5.1 ones.Sabrent! lol
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Keyboard Used ps2 from garage sales
Software Yeah
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/schmuckley/#Hardware_Library http://valid.canardpc.com/rbjpbg

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3353/amcap.exe

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd373424(VS.85).aspx

microsofts free webcam software, seems super simple to use for taking pictures or recording offline video. lightweight, bloat free, works in various versions of windows.

See they have so much good stuff but it's impossible to know of it. Like sysinternals and Mouse without borders. Someone there made an awesome program called Canned Response Manager (file name canman.exe) way back and I've yet to come across it (or anything as simple) except at Microsoft related workplaces (when I was there I didn't think of copying it either :(). It rested in the systray and stored text. You clicked the icon and you got a list of the text snippets in question. I was seriously thinking about picking up programming just to make it, that was how useful it was.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dualmonitortb/

Dual monitor taskbar. It does what it sound like, and only that, and it works perfectly.

EDIT: Just noticed it does not work for some programs. CPU-Z and GPU-Z are two of them. DAAAAMNNN.

And this is old news, but still:

https://www.visualstudio.com/sv-se/products/visual-studio-community-vs

From what I understand it's essentially the full verision, but you can't use it in an enterprise setting or on teams with more than five people, but you can use it for commercial stuff.

Otherwise, Codeblocks is nice.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
http://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/

It's a small basic IP scanner. Ran it on the office machine, discovered I had the entire area avaliable to me. Grabbed a router and plugged it into the local switch (the room is open). The net owners are a bunch of fools, I dislike them immensely.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
http://www.kwakkelflap.com/fping.html

There's fping.org too for the linuxy people. It's a seriously good tool for troubleshooting. Timestamps, datestamps, jitter, and print to txt file. Awesome! I've looped if for 24 hours now, the txt file is > 7MB. :laugh:

System Name midnight toker
Processor i7 Skylake QHQF (6700K ES) @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4S
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB (2x8GB) Samsung DDR4 @ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Geforce Gtx 1080 Ti Gaming OC @ 2080MHz
Storage 128GB SSD, 75GB & 2TB HDDs
Display(s) Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU 27" 1440p 144Hz G-SYNC Monitor
Case Cooler Master MB511
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP2000 headphones
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W G2
Mouse Microsoft Wireless Desktop 3050
Keyboard same
Software Arch Linux, Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
System Name BlueKnight
Video Card(s) Onboard
Case μATX Case (Generic)
System Name midnight toker
Processor i7 Skylake QHQF (6700K ES) @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4S
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB (2x8GB) Samsung DDR4 @ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Geforce Gtx 1080 Ti Gaming OC @ 2080MHz
Storage 128GB SSD, 75GB & 2TB HDDs
Display(s) Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU 27" 1440p 144Hz G-SYNC Monitor
Case Cooler Master MB511
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP2000 headphones
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W G2
Mouse Microsoft Wireless Desktop 3050
Keyboard same
Software Arch Linux, Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Not recommended.

P.S. Unless you want to support a time bomb, of course.
Oh, really? Let me compile your conspiracy theory. Deliver it in tar.gz pls