• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Case is Patent: Apple, Broadcom Ordered to Pay $1.1 billion to CalTech

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
They have made so many infringements it is not funny.

But the thing is that everyone does it, it's simply impossible to make products of that complexity and scale these days without infringing on a plethora of patents. With everything you can find, if you search deep enough will find something, it's unavoidable. The only real thing that matters is who will find it and whether or not they figure out how they can use it to extort money from some entity.

The manner in which these patents are created and used is fundamentally flawed, there is no filter. Of course someone should be able to protect their designs to an extent but not like this, it's a straight up broken system.

For instance one of the many examples of a mind boggling patent shitshow is how Magnavox acquired a patent to "video game art " (you heard that right) and used it to make millions of dollars over the span of dozen of years from all sorts of companies.

Last edited:

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Pretty sure when signing such massive deals, Apple does know what they are getting into. Any competent legal department will take a look at something like that & knowing Apple, especially their dubious patent litigation history, they would've looked into it.

If they received a patent list and it matched the patents there is no reason to look into it further.

The patents filed that are in this should never have existed and describe exactly what is wrong with the US patent system.

BS Patent nonsense said:
A serial concatenated coder includes an outer coder and an inner coder. The outer coder irregularly repeats bits in a data block according to a degree profile and scrambles the repeated bits. The scrambled and repeated bits are input to an inner coder, which has a rate substantially close to one.

This should never have been approved and a team of lawyers convinced people this case should not have been thrown out and those four patents disposed of. I do however find myself curious if Caltech comes back and files against all manufacturers using wireless N or AC since that is what the current filing against Apple and Broadcom is about.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Isn't Apple pretty much Broadcom's only large scale WiFi customer at this point? Given that Apple uses them exclusively and buys their chipset in the tens if not hundreds of millions each year I would guess they are quite intimately involved with their development.
Most phones have BCM wifi radios. My s9 plus, s4, a20s and my nexus 6 all have BCM wifi.

Also lots ood laptops and windows tablets as well.

BCM is also a leader in bluetooth as well.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
A reminder that universities are business first, education second.
That depends on whether or not it is a private or public University.

Private? Yes, they are a business, but they also have standards and reputations to uphold so they are always striking a balance.

Public? They are Education first and foremost. No public school can act as a profit entity, such is specifically prohibited by law. They can however make a profit as long as that profit is reinvested back into the institution in question and is equally shared with those doing the research.

In this case CalTech is a privately run entity, so they can do with the money as they please.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots
Due diligence? A multi-billion dollar company should be on top of such things.

Guilt is not a function of how much money you have. If we are going to hold the purchaser of component liable for copyright infringement of the component as you say, it is a small leap from there to holding people who purchased the finished product liable. You purchased a TV that had copyrighted software on it that wasn't paid for? You shoulda done your homework and known better, pay up buddy.

it is a small leap from there to holding people who purchased the finished product liable.
No it isn't. The end user has NO idea if the tech in their devices has been properly and lawfully obtained. All they know is that it is a device for sale. There is no lawful expectation for the consumer to research information they have no lawful access to. Apple however DOES have the legal expectation to be in full knowledge of what they are using in their manufacturing process. Apple was in full knowledge that the technology they were using was NOT proper obtained, thus the lawsuit and judgement against them.
You purchased a TV that had copyrighted software on it that wasn't paid for? You shoulda done your homework and known better, pay up buddy.
That is not how patent and copyright law works.. Nor should it EVER work that way.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots
No it isn't. The end user has NO idea if the tech in their devices has been properly and lawfully obtained. All they know is that it is a device for sale. There is no lawful expectation for the consumer to research information they have no lawful access to. Apple however DOES have the legal expectation to be in full knowledge of what they are using in their manufacturing process. Apple was in full knowledge that the technology they were using was NOT proper obtained, thus the lawsuit and judgement against them.

There is no lawful expectation that Asus go our and check for patent issues when they buy a chip from Broadcom to use in one of their manufactured motherboards. Why would there be such an expectation of Apple?

The law is all about precedent and pattern, and despite your snarky response the pattern / precedent that this ruling would set is that the purchaser of a product or component of a product is somehow liable for patents/copyright issues with said product. First you might say manufacturer, buying a component from a 3rd party, is somehow liable for what that 3rd party did. That pattern is not much different from holding a purchaser of finished product liable - since from the manufacturer's standpoint they are buying a finished product (a chip). What if I go out and buy a chip to use in my Arduino project, do I need to check all their patents too?

I was giving an example and you responded as if it were my statement. Reading comprehension doesn't seem to be your strong point.

That is not how patent and copyright law works.. Nor should it EVER work that way.

Then people shouldn't let their hate of Apple move them to support stupid LEGAL PRECEDENTS like this one that lead to slippery slopes.

If you buy a product from a manufacturer (regardless of if YOU are a manufacturer or not), any copyright / patent issues with said product should fall on the originator of the product. Not the purchaser.

Reactions: hat
There is no lawful expectation that Asus go our and check for patent issues when they buy a chip from Broadcom to use in one of their manufactured motherboards. Why would there be such an expectation of Apple?

The law is all about precedent and pattern, and despite your snarky response the pattern / precedent that this ruling would set is that the purchaser of a product or component of a product is somehow liable for patents/copyright issues with said product. First you might say manufacturer, buying a component from a 3rd party, is somehow liable for what that 3rd party did. That pattern is not much different from holding a purchaser of finished product liable - since from the manufacturer's standpoint they are buying a finished product (a chip). What if I go out and buy a chip to use in my Arduino project, do I need to check all their patents too?

I was giving an example and you responded as if it were my statement. Reading comprehension doesn't seem to be your strong point.

Then people shouldn't let their hate of Apple move them to support stupid LEGAL PRECEDENTS like this one that lead to slippery slopes.

If you buy a product from a manufacturer (regardless of if YOU are a manufacturer or not), any copyright / patent issues with said product should fall on the originator of the product. Not the purchaser.
That whole comment says three things;
1. You have no idea how liabilities work in the law.
2. You have taken personally the comments made that are not in favor of Apple.
3. You are not being objective.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
But the thing is that everyone does it, it's simply impossible to make products of that complexity and scale these days without infringing on a plethora of patents. With everything you can find, if you search deep enough will find something, it's unavoidable. The only real thing that matters is who will find it and whether or not they figure out how they can use it to extort money from some entity.

The manner in which these patents are created and used is fundamentally flawed, there is no filter. Of course someone should be able to protect their designs to an extent but not like this, it's a straight up broken system.

For instance one of the many examples of a mind boggling patent shitshow is how Magnavox acquired a patent to "video game art " (you heard that right) and used it to make millions of dollars over the span of dozen of years from all sorts of companies.

I know but I was refering specifically to Apple in the thread. One of my favourites is Asetek and how they almost atgnated the AIO market with their pump/block patent :laugh:.