1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The War: Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by cornemuse, Jan 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cornemuse

cornemuse

Thanks Received:
    Seems like more Intel base computers here than AMD.

What difference is there between the two?

Is one better than the other for some things?

I used (Pentiums) till my son (professional programmer) laughed & said to go with AMD.

What are some opinions on this subject? Why one over the other?

-corne-

Always wondered, is it like Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge vs etc?

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright

Thanks Received:
    What is the point of this question? It is just going to start yet another pointless debate on the same subject that's been debated countless number of times - to no consensus.

Pretty much, yes.

If you want a debate that will be constructive, pick a specific AMD CPU and a specific Intel CPU to compare. Other wise, my favorite color is green.

Dethroy, Frick, HD64G and 8 others say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I'll bite... It's a game of leapfrog over history. AMD was arguably the king with the memory controller integrated into the die. Intel had a separate northbridge chip that served as the memory controller. During most of that time, AMD was considered the faster processor, if not merely for the memory throughput. Intel also bungled the Pentium line with the Netburst architecture. Most agree it sucked. Then intel came out with the initial "Core" CPU line, that changed the game significantly. It was much faster and AMD was playing catch up even with the memory controller being faster. Intel then jumped ahead further by putting them memory controller on the CPU die. That really left AMD behind. Here's a graph of market share:

[​IMG]

At this point, they both use integrated memory controllers but intel is still ahead in sheer performance. The game has now changed to "more cores is better". AMD is working on a new architecture called "Ryzen" that is looking to change things.

There's a lot of other considerations like virtualization, insrtuction sets, platform support. Generally speaking, intel currently dominates the server market.

Kal_Skirata and SomeOne99h say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Vya Domus

Vya Domus

Thanks Received:
    The reason why you see more Intel based systems is partially because AMD hasn't come up with anything new in years and as a result their cpu's are quite behind in terms of performance/power consumption. Looking back they have always been more on less on the same level with obivious ups and downs for each , this is however the biggest gap we've had . They've got Ryzen/Zen coming soon tho , you're definitely going to see more AMD systems from then on. However ,If you need to build a system today , Intel is pretty much the most rational decision simply because they've got better performance as of now , can't say the same about the price tho.

With regards of car comparisons , ehm , lets just not go there...

5. cdawall

cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Your son isn't going to compete well in high FPS games if he is using AMD CPU's.

As it sits right now using the car analogy Intel is a bit like buying a brand new truck. It does everything without issue gets good fuel economy, has a higher payload, rides more comfortably etc. AMD is like a 1980's dodge. It does nothing well, but you can fill the bed up and it chugs along slowly.

MT Alex says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  6. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    There's a lot of differences in the nuances (e.g. process technology, microarchitecture structure, and so on).

[​IMG]

Wait for AMD Ryzen then ask me again.

Yes. You can point to one feature of a specific brand and says this one does better. From that breeds fanism.

v12dock, SomeOne99h, Jetster and 2 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. alucasa

alucasa

Thanks Received:
    Well..., what choice do I have?

It's not like AMD has anything that comes even remotely close to my cpu...

Knoxx29 says thanks.
  8. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright

Thanks Received:
    At which time Intel will likely have something even more enticing just around the corner.

You can pit one company against another. But when these companies produce dozens of products each, you cannot say every product from Company A is better than every product from Company B. That's why you have to compare two specific products.

Of course, you also have to define the task. This 1995 Nissan pickup truck is a much better vehicle than this 2017 Lexus ES350...
    ...at hauling a load of manure around.

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. Evo85

Evo85

Thanks Received:
    Hopefully a Mod will lock this. It will just turn into a flame war of Intel vs AMD.

Mr.Scott says thanks.
  10. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I like Turtles.

Dethroy, Mussels, Loosenut and 2 others say thanks.
  11. Papahyooie

Papahyooie

Thanks Received:
    If you want the best at a high price, pick intel.

If you want to save money and get slightly lower performance, go AMD.

That has been the common thread for a few years. AMD's new platform coming out soon may change the game.

Kursah says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    According to Intel's roadmap (which just went from "tick tock" to "tick tick tock" or what have you), no. The only thing that might happen is existing offerings may become more affordable due to a return to something resembling performance parity and thus, competition. At least the way I see it.

13. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    There is no point to build AMD right now, CPU, board.
    This should change soon, hopefully

14. Knoxx29

Knoxx29

Thanks Received:
    Another Thread about Intel Vs AMD?

I can't believe it:shadedshu:

El_Mayo says thanks.
  15. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright

Thanks Received:
    Note I did not say Intel would have something better around the corner, I said they would have something "more enticing". More affordable prices is certainly more enticing.

Dethroy and R-T-B say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  16. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    I think you're just offended AMD is present.

17. cdawall

Thanks Received:
    What flame war. Amd sucks right now. We have no idea in real life how ryzen will perform.

10 Year Member at TPU
  18. Knoxx29

Knoxx29

Thanks Received:
    Nah, the problem is that in the last 6 months i have seen a lot of Intel Vs AMD threads here in TPU.

Crappy?

19. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    I think your son is talking about AMD glory days, before June 2006 where AMD was miles ahead of Intel's P4's, where the P4's had to be OC to 4.2GHz to beat a stock clocked Athlon at 2.8GHz.

The difference between the two well that depends on which decade really, back when you had just 1 or maybe 2 cores it was all about core performance/IPC, which AMD had the lead for a very long time, then things changed to more cores and IPC with the quad cores and then 6 core CPU's which by now intel had the performance lead and AMD had to bring out 6 core CPU's to compete with the first gen 4 core i7's. Then AMD brought out its radical 8 core CPU's that could match or beat the second and third gen i7's (2600/3770K) CPU's but only in heavy multi threaded apps, but IPC was way down and couldnt compete in gaming or any single threaded apps. The rest is history really. AMD hasnt had anything till this yr that can compete with intel. Thats a very basic description of the last 15yrs.

its always been a David vs golith, or GMC vs Daewoo, the size difference between the two is HUGE, and for us to have such a tiny spec of a company to even beat or be competitive against a super giant is a miracle in its self, and for us the consumer is who really wins here.

Kanan, infrared and SomeOne99h say thanks.
  20. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Spot on. One word... "Netburst" (Intel) and a few more words: "Integrated Memory Controller" (AMD)

SomeOne99h says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  21. cdawall

Thanks Received:
    I think they will equal the 6700k in single thread as long as they can get the clock to match. If not we'll we all can figure out how something with the same IPC will perform at 1ghz less. Amd has always lead with multithreading so I'm sure it will be plenty fast in that realm.

Knoxx29 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  22. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright

Thanks Received:
    Of course not. AMD processors are extremely reliable devices capable of providing many years of reliable service.

Just because the top of the line AMD is not able to beat the top of the line Intel, that IN NO WAY means Intel, as an entire brand, is better.

Let's not forget that the CPU is but one component in a computer that determines performance. So too do the RAM, graphics solution, motherboard, and drives all impact performance too - any one of which can bottleneck (or allow to shine) the CPU.

EntropyZ and Knoxx29 say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  23. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've never had a dead AMD CPU. I have three Phenom 2 gen's in some computers are work that are going strong.

EntropyZ and Papahyooie say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  24. Papahyooie

Papahyooie

Thanks Received:
    The truth of the matter is, when you get done benchmarking and start actually USING a processor, for day to day use and gaming, you won't see any difference. Not that is measurable without using a tool. The only game I've ever played that liked one processor over another is Arma 3, and specifically running an Arma 3 server. And I think we can all agree that that is probably the fault of the game dev....

Buy one, buy the other... Pick a price range and read up on benchmarks for CPU's in that price range, and pick the best one. There is no simple "Which is better" answer. Intel owns the crown for fastest right now, but you will pay for it. On the other hand, you can game and do everyday computing on a $100 AMD processor and be totally happy with it. There is no "best." There is only "best for your price point."

biffzinker and Loosenut say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. cdawall

Thanks Received:
    I have killed a few :roll:

Knoxx29 and yogurt_21 say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU