• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What are you playing?

System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
Really got stuck into Metro Exodus today and I seem to be hooked. So much loot and so many juicy weapons - Molotov on the first boss :)
But I wasn't expecting what came after this at all.
metro exodus.jpg

System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
Really got stuck into Metro Exodus today and I seem to be hooked. So much loot and so many juicy weapons - Molotov on the first boss :)
I didn't expect it either. But it... kinda makes sense..? *disgusted cringe*

Btw, enjoy!

System Name ALIENWARE R8
Processor INTEL I5 9500 @3.9Ghz
Motherboard ALIENWARE 02XRCM
Cooling ALIENWAR Liqid Cooler
Memory DDR4 16GB @2.8Ghz
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GForce RTX 2070 8GB
Storage 512 MB M.2, KINGSTON 480 GB SSD,SEAGATE 3 TB
Display(s) VIZIO E-241 25" TV
Case ALIENWARE R8
Power Supply 850 WATTS
Mouse ROSWILL NEON M60
Keyboard ALIENWARE
Software WIN 10
perhaps i made this battle a bit too tough.. i caused alot of casualties but bled myself white in doing so.. i made many errors though because i dont understand the system all that well atm.. this game is pretty complex.. i think im going to start over and perhaps have a full company this time and not just 1 platoon with a depleted recon platoon. with a few tanks lol
\
opening salvo from my battery of 155mm tore through a few insurgent units.. then my m1a1 took a shot at a t72 and brewed it.. a t72 or t80 took out an m1.. range was ~1100m....i lost 2 out of 3 m1's but took out all of his armor.. 3 t72's and 2 t80s. so happen, my m1 i personally commanded had not been damaged.. looks like i might live through this one
close to a battalion of insurgence forces + 5 tanks, heavy weapons, 6 technicals with hmg and 2 with recoiless rifles..

2020-09-06_235919.jpg

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
As I get up to the final arc in FO4's story I'm having an incredible revelation. I never paid much attention to anything BoS... just wiped them out because at a glance they seemed totally dumb and by then I knew the game to well to think that was changing. Now that I do, it's worse than I thought.

So... The Brotherhood of Steel wants to essentially prevent the second apocalypse. You can list off a bunch of other things they actively work towards, but ultimately it's all supposed to come down to that. They believe they know how mankind screwed up the world and want to stop it. There's a lot of dialogue in the game relating to this attitude, specifically mentioning things such as "not repeating our ancestor's mistakes" or "or not letting synths destroy the world a second time." Maxon loves spouting that stuff to his grunts, who see everything they do under that light. They believe they are working to hold humanity itself together, for the sake of every person left on planet earth. Sure, a few just join on for the 3 hots/1 cot + indiscriminate killing of the things, but as is typically the case in our time, most are not so depraved and value working together to do good above even their own needs.

So then, it is kinda very odd for an organization dedicated to preventing the second apocalypse to be heading into ravaged-neighborhoods-turned-nuclear-blast-sites to procure... large-scale nuclear weapons. Y'know... the things that caused the first one. That's pretty friggin jarring to have put up there, never to be addressed at all. I mean, if I know that they are willing to use the same weapons that brought the total destruction of the civilized world in order to wipe out synthetic people, that kinda tells me everything about what's going on. I can't pretend like there's any ambiguity. It becomes either don't do it and stay the good guy, or be the bad guy and get some moderately cool stuff. Which is like "Great. Deep." And the thing is, it's not just one nuke. It's a friggin arsenal... implied to be enough to make it a regular feature. When you first join, you secure a smaller nuclear arsenal, but that's because Super Mutants have it. It's not an automatic thing that the BoS will be gung-ho about using them... all that's really there for sure is keeping the 'muties from figuring out how to use them.

I get that xenophobia is their whole shtick. All they really care about is eliminating things that think and feel at least somewhat to even totally like them, but aren't them. But to me, this sort of writing is comically asinine, regardless of whether the contradiction is intentional or not. But sure, bring in a stranger to go fetch giant nukes that you admit you intend to use as part of your blatantly pseudo-fascist campaign. That's not a totally scandalous thing for the BoS to do. Especially given the reasons people working under the organization would be involved for. I just kinda reckon... and this is looking at the world around me... there would be issues within that organization.

These people signed up thinking they were protecting the commonwealth, so nuking any part of it would be off the list for at least some of them... you would think. Especially the ones who are genuinely more fleshed out. The mutant/synth hating is more superficial. As in, they take that and learn to like it because they think it means they're doing good. What better challenge to that ideology is there than the big red nuke button? Not a single person involved thinks of the costs? Not even Dr. Li, someone who stands for science? You'd think she'd at least struggle with that part, even being otherwise amoral she wouldn't approve of the total loss and destruction of the most advanced knowledge in perhaps the world. But nah... it's good. One or two speech checks and it's like she's not even working to help destroy that. Just completely rolls over in the most unconvincing way possible. And then there's Danse, who in spite of genuinely caring about all people is fine with the way things have been going (before getting found out as a synth) - he wants to wipe out all mutants because one killed his buddy once. Otherwise, he's no Punisher. It doesn't jive with his fundamentally compassionate nature. They did him dirty post BoS, too. Nothing about him really makes any sense. The problem is, I can look at him and a lot of other characters and immediately recognize that they're not in fact people. They don't act sentient.

It's the mindless drones, friggin all over this game. Every NPC in each faction, including the main ones, are mindless drones who only see one thing in one way. They have one role and thier entire existence tightly embodies it. Nobody thinks like this. People don't act like this. Even if they rely on the faction for vital things, that doesn't just erase individual thoughts and feelings. It's just a different sort of internal conflict. Why does nobody in this fucking game seem to have those? Agh, man... they're all written like robots and it kills me to see it. They think and act as plastic as they look.

The BoS has always been hoarder-central. The FO4 flavor is an offshoot going back to oldschool techno-fasist, hardcore extremist BoS. But to actually use a full scale nuke without skipping a single beat? Even when they were assholes who would do that, there was wayyyy more to it than "Kill all of the gross things." It would've been more convincing and multifaceted. I look back on the BoS's earlier dark times and while I obviously don;t agree with their motives, I can believe that there would be people who would in that particular situation. There is none of that in FO4's version. They just are what they are and it's all that they are, because that's what they are. No dive into the human psyche. No real exploration of the nature of human disgust, fear, and prejudice. No questions of what brings people together, or what doing that is worth... the measure of what it means to survive or even thrive... and where that crosses over the boundaries of self-preservation and into dangerous obsession. By the time you hop onto the Prydwen, that's all hit its final point already. You basically start the story of the BoS at the end. Nothing changes. Just settles-into where it already was. I think they wanted to go to the level of the 2D Fallout games' BoS. But they forgot to actually write it.

To me it just creates this very simpleton-level moral dilemma, where the right answer is obvious, and the only reason to go the other way is simply to 'be bad' in the same way you do when you're 12 and murdering old ladies in GTA. They did a similar whoopsie in FO3 with Megaton. In this case, it was salvageable with a subplot where maybe a few members aware of this see the contradiction with their ethos and there's a deeper look where it becomes about the issues surrounding the danger in certain truths, and what sorts of conflicts they might cause among a bunch of people with different needs and places in the world. What if it was Danse and co? Would they be better not knowing? Would they be willing to turn against their whole lives in this hopeless world to do what they know what is right? So many possibilities can spring off of that. Different choices and outcomes, pulling you to think about things. A short list of potential outcomes:

-BoS destroyed, friends survive, broken but with renewed agency
-BoS destroyed, friends dead (possibly spit into not being told and caught dead in the confusion OR being told and dying fighting against the BoS
-BoS unchanged, friends stick with it, player barred/killed
-BoS unchanged, you and friends leave
-BoS reformed, with similar outcome range to destroyed

I don't wanna keep going, use your own imaginations. All of this stuff can be written into dialogue trees, with unique benefits to each outcome. Success and failure paths for each turning point. They had everything they needed to make the BoS story this journey of learning about the organization and the people in it, and getting caught in these turning points where you have to parse it all and make difficult decisions. And then maybe this changes your options for dealing with The Institute, or even other factions. The whole synth issue can go so many more ways than it did in the Danse arc. Plenty of room for expanding the lore for the faction along the way, too. I think that's way better than the sad attempt at internal conflict they pulled with Danse.

I dunno, maybe I'm asking too much. It's just disappointing, man.

The writing for the factions just feels unfinished. The main story was such a bummer. A lot of it boils down to the nukes. Do you blow up The Institute? If so, who does it? The rest is linear. Nuking The Institute is stupid, every which way you do it. Using nukes in a post-nuclear setting, at least for the reasons it's ever done in that game, is stupid. It makes it so even the 'good' endings are bad and pointless. Take your pick of faction. It's all dumb in the end, nuke or not. I swear to god they made it an option from so many angles just so they could have it so the player could nuke something in the game. Somewhere on thier list for every single Fallout title they've done. Think about it! Lawd. If they're borking their writing just for THAT... well yeah, they would make all of the factions childish and one-dimensional with simplistic good-guys/bad-guys narratives that completely bar out any deeper ethical nuance cuz "Fallout game's always gotta have a big ole nuke somewhere!"

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I had a bad feeling before ever going in....I wished the game would have allowed a bypass. Still, it ended up being one of my favorite parts of the game!

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Been playin Dual Universe the last year since Alpha 2. Just hit closed Beta last week. Needs a lot of work still but concept is AMAZING! Tutorials are kinda bugged and starting zones are extremely laggy but once away from there, game runs ok. No NPCs, markets are player run and ships are built from scratch. Kind of a mix of EVE, Elite, EQ:Landmark and Star Citizen all in one. The voxel system is really cool and a WiP. You can also use Lua to script numerous things in a Programming Board or cockpit/command seat for external screens or widgets for the cockpit HUD. Games subscription based but I do have 7 Beta keys to play free for the year. Also, this is my mining ship I've built. All voxels are hand crafted/shaped.View attachment 167563

What... sub based online, voxel and moddable... this is like a triplet of major Red Flags.

Be wary of spending on it.

As I get up to the final arc in FO4's story I'm having an incredible revelation. I never paid much attention to anything BoS... just wiped them out because at a glance they seemed totally dumb and by then I knew the game to well to think that was changing. Now that I do, it's worse than I thought.

So... The Brotherhood of Steel wants to essentially prevent the second apocalypse. You can list off a bunch of other things they actively work towards, but ultimately it's all supposed to come down to that. They believe they know how mankind screwed up the world and want to stop it. There's a lot of dialogue in the game relating to this attitude, specifically mentioning things such as "not repeating our ancestor's mistakes" or "or not letting synths destroy the world a second time." Maxon loves spouting that stuff to his grunts, who see everything they do under that light. They believe they are working to hold humanity itself together, for the sake of every person left on planet earth. Sure, a few just join on for the 3 hots/1 cot + indiscriminate killing of the things, but as is typically the case in our time, most are not so depraved and value working together to do good above even their own needs.

So then, it is kinda very odd for an organization dedicated to preventing the second apocalypse to be heading into ravaged-neighborhoods-turned-nuclear-blast-sites to procure... large-scale nuclear weapons. Y'know... the things that caused the first one. That's pretty friggin jarring to have put up there, never to be addressed at all. I mean, if I know that they are willing to use the same weapons that brought the total destruction of the civilized world in order to wipe out synthetic people, that kinda tells me everything about what's going on. I can't pretend like there's any ambiguity. It becomes either don't do it and stay the good guy, or be the bad guy and get some moderately cool stuff. Which is like "Great. Deep." And the thing is, it's not just one nuke. It's a friggin arsenal... implied to be enough to make it a regular feature. When you first join, you secure a smaller nuclear arsenal, but that's because Super Mutants have it. It's not an automatic thing that the BoS will be gung-ho about using them... all that's really there for sure is keeping the 'muties from figuring out how to use them.

I get that xenophobia is their whole shtick. All they really care about is eliminating things that think and feel at least somewhat to even totally like them, but aren't them. But to me, this sort of writing is comically asinine, regardless of whether the contradiction is intentional or not. But sure, bring in a stranger to go fetch giant nukes that you admit you intend to use as part of your blatantly pseudo-fascist campaign. That's not a totally scandalous thing for the BoS to do. Especially given the reasons people working under the organization would be involved for. I just kinda reckon... and this is looking at the world around me... there would be issues within that organization.

These people signed up thinking they were protecting the commonwealth, so nuking any part of it would be off the list for at least some of them... you would think. Especially the ones who are genuinely more fleshed out. The mutant/synth hating is more superficial. As in, they take that and learn to like it because they think it means they're doing good. What better challenge to that ideology is there than the big red nuke button? Not a single person involved thinks of the costs? Not even Dr. Li, someone who stands for science? You'd think she'd at least struggle with that part, even being otherwise amoral she wouldn't approve of the total loss and destruction of the most advanced knowledge in perhaps the world. But nah... it's good. One or two speech checks and it's like she's not even working to help destroy that. Just completely rolls over in the most unconvincing way possible. And then there's Danse, who in spite of genuinely caring about all people is fine with the way things have been going (before getting found out as a synth) - he wants to wipe out all mutants because one killed his buddy once. Otherwise, he's no Punisher. It doesn't jive with his fundamentally compassionate nature. They did him dirty post BoS, too. Nothing about him really makes any sense. The problem is, I can look at him and a lot of other characters and immediately recognize that they're not in fact people. They don't act sentient.

It's the mindless drones, friggin all over this game. Every NPC in each faction, including the main ones, are mindless drones who only see one thing in one way. They have one role and thier entire existence tightly embodies it. Nobody thinks like this. People don't act like this. Even if they rely on the faction for vital things, that doesn't just erase individual thoughts and feelings. It's just a different sort of internal conflict. Why does nobody in this fucking game seem to have those? Agh, man... they're all written like robots and it kills me to see it. They think and act as plastic as they look.

The BoS has always been hoarder-central. The FO4 flavor is an offshoot going back to oldschool techno-fasist, hardcore extremist BoS. But to actually use a full scale nuke without skipping a single beat? Even when they were assholes who would do that, there was wayyyy more to it than "Kill all of the gross things." It would've been more convincing and multifaceted. I look back on the BoS's earlier dark times and while I obviously don;t agree with their motives, I can believe that there would be people who would in that particular situation. There is none of that in FO4's version. They just are what they are and it's all that they are, because that's what they are. No dive into the human psyche. No real exploration of the nature of human disgust, fear, and prejudice. No questions of what brings people together, or what doing that is worth... the measure of what it means to survive or even thrive... and where that crosses over the boundaries of self-preservation and into dangerous obsession. By the time you hop onto the Prydwen, that's all hit its final point already. You basically start the story of the BoS at the end. Nothing changes. Just settles-into where it already was. I think they wanted to go to the level of the 2D Fallout games' BoS. But they forgot to actually write it.

To me it just creates this very simpleton-level moral dilemma, where the right answer is obvious, and the only reason to go the other way is simply to 'be bad' in the same way you do when you're 12 and murdering old ladies in GTA. They did a similar whoopsie in FO3 with Megaton. In this case, it was salvageable with a subplot where maybe a few members aware of this see the contradiction with their ethos and there's a deeper look where it becomes about the issues surrounding the danger in certain truths, and what sorts of conflicts they might cause among a bunch of people with different needs and places in the world. What if it was Danse and co? Would they be better not knowing? Would they be willing to turn against their whole lives in this hopeless world to do what they know what is right? So many possibilities can spring off of that. Different choices and outcomes, pulling you to think about things. A short list of potential outcomes:

-BoS destroyed, friends survive, broken but with renewed agency
-BoS destroyed, friends dead (possibly spit into not being told and caught dead in the confusion OR being told and dying fighting against the BoS
-BoS unchanged, friends stick with it, player barred/killed
-BoS unchanged, you and friends leave
-BoS reformed, with similar outcome range to destroyed

I don't wanna keep going, use your own imaginations. All of this stuff can be written into dialogue trees, with unique benefits to each outcome. Success and failure paths for each turning point. They had everything they needed to make the BoS story this journey of learning about the organization and the people in it, and getting caught in these turning points where you have to parse it all and make difficult decisions. And then maybe this changes your options for dealing with The Institute, or even other factions. The whole synth issue can go so many more ways than it did in the Danse arc. Plenty of room for expanding the lore for the faction along the way, too. I think that's way better than the sad attempt at internal conflict they pulled with Danse.

I dunno, maybe I'm asking too much. It's just disappointing, man.

The writing for the factions just feels unfinished. The main story was such a bummer. A lot of it boils down to the nukes. Do you blow up The Institute? If so, who does it? The rest is linear. Nuking The Institute is stupid, every which way you do it. Using nukes in a post-nuclear setting, at least for the reasons it's ever done in that game, is stupid. It makes it so even the 'good' endings are bad and pointless. Take your pick of faction. It's all dumb in the end, nuke or not. I swear to god they made it an option from so many angles just so they could have it so the player could nuke something in the game. Somewhere on thier list for every single Fallout title they've done. Think about it! Lawd. If they're borking their writing just for THAT... well yeah, they would make all of the factions childish and one-dimensional with simplistic good-guys/bad-guys narratives that completely bar out any deeper ethical nuance cuz "Fallout game's always gotta have a big ole nuke somewhere!"

All roads lead to nuke in FO, yes. Should check out Fallout 76 in that way. Nuking is the actual end game. You proceed to a week-long harvest of codes, getting a bunch of mates who did the same thing (yep... solo player? enjoy this middle finger, right here!), and then go into some bunker with lots of stupid NPCs to kill that will rapidly eat away at your inventory economy so you have a new farm purpose for the next week. Then you get to nuke an area to get special ingredients for some ultra special gear upgrades you will likely never use because, guess what, you need to deploy more nukes to keep a steady income of that stuff.

Prior to that, you spend your time wandering aimlessly towards level cap, well, until the game somehow pushes you to that inevitable Enclave end game route. You can also choose NOT to nuke, but then the game simply ends in utter boredom for you, because there's nothing to find, get, or do that is even mildly interesting.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
To me it just creates this very simpleton-level moral dilemma, where the right answer is obvious, and the only reason to go the other way is simply to 'be bad' in the same way you do when you're 12 and murdering old ladies in GTA.

Welcome to Bethsoft. I believe their writing process is literally asking a bunch of 12-year olds what they think is cool and then throw that into the game.

Again, hit the nail on the head. I've said it before, but Fallout 4 is the only game that legitemely made me angry, because everything in it is so very mindboggingly stupid.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Software Windows 10 Pro
All roads lead to nuke in FO, yes. Should check out Fallout 76 in that way. Nuking is the actual end game. You proceed to a week-long harvest of codes, getting a bunch of mates who did the same thing, and then go into some bunker with lots of stupid NPCs to kill that will rapidly eat away at your inventory economy so you have a new farm purpose for the next week. Then you get to nuke an area to get special ingredients for some ultra special gear upgrades you will likely never use because, guess what, you need to deploy more nukes to keep a steady income of that stuff.

Prior to that, you spend your time wandering aimlessly towards level cap, well, until the game somehow pushes you to that inevitable Enclave end game route. You can also choose NOT to nuke, but then the game simply ends in utter boredom for you, because there's nothing to find, get, or do that is even mildly interesting.
Nah, I'm good on that :laugh: Somehow I kinda knew it would be at least a little like that when I first learned that triggering a nuke was the main big thing. Basically "Oh, so anything else that's interesting is going to be for that and anything that deviates will be truncated." Maybe not in such a salty, immediate way. More like something in the back of my mind just said "EMPTY", before I realized why or saw any evidence of that.

It's like they strip it a little closer to the core each time. Though to be fair 76 is an MMO. I like to hope they gotta know that removing more things from the story and gameplay is not what people expect from a full release. Looking back though, I get a little antsy. At this point, they have a pattern of taking out more things than they add in, stretching back into pretty much a couple of decades. They get a fresh coat of paint, maybe even some big transitions... it looks and feels like a different game. But each time it feels like something new is missing.

When 76 first came around, I caught a lot of people saying that it was unfinished. That's already how I felt about 4. Even now, it just seems unfinished. In every area. But nowhere more noticeably than in the writing. The DLC's were a bit of a redemption, but none of that makes the main chunk... the heart of it, any more complete.

Shigeru Miyamoto said "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." Bethesda has somehow found a way to make nonsense of that foundational wisdom by making games that are ever-increasingly both more delayed and more rushed. I think they really do just conceive of their games that simplistically. Get ahead of themselves with stuff that would reveal itself to be not good after some real testing. They've gone down the route of many other companies, reaching for market share only to spite the experience. You know how they say never to trust a cook who doesn't eat their own food? Sometimes, I kind of wonder if the people there are playing their own games. Outside in, they look to have management problems, too. People overlook this, but Bethesda have expanded their teams quite a lot since the days of Oblivion and FO3. Not only is it not the same company or structure, it's not the same groups or environments. And there's more of everything. It all just reeks of things not going how they're meant to, and perhaps also of people being too high up to see through the clouds being poised to make/influence five or ten too many major decisions. Maybe some folks you can only productively say "yes" to. "Everything's great. It's gonna be great." Looking at what you get, what you see in the marketing probably reflects the internal sell. What they seem to think can work in their games reminds me of the epic things I would imagine myself doing and setting-up as a young boy. That's just kind of a vibe I get.

Overfragmentation, in a word.

When you look at games like Morrowind or Oblivion, with the sheer scope of the writing and all of the other elements built up around that, you can tell this is a super-condensed effort where it's like... sure, they're neglecting certain things but what they ARE doing, they're REALLY doing and making sure to work it all out and get it right. There's just a lot of stuff, to a ridiculous level, in the most peculiar ways. But it's a tight experience. You just know you are in for it it. I don't get that anymore. Skyrim was the last one, and even that bares that same mark of just... scattering to the point of impotency. Past that, I've had a hard time sensing what they wanted the games to be... what experiences they wanted the player to have. It just feels very distinctly out of touch in a way that almost makes me feel suspicious. Everything winds up being very sparse. No matter how much gets tacked on, it kinda stays that way.

They've never been the best at handling the Fallout franchise. But at this point it's become more brand than game... to me, anyway. It's as though Bethesda themselves whole prospect is "Whatever, it's a Fallout game. Just give it this, this, and this. Monetize it. Bing, bang, boom." Nobody can say there were never signs of that.

Long story short, I don't know why I play this game. But I'm pretty sure that the reasons Bethesda thinks I have for playing it are very different from my own reasons for playing it. So many times I find myself thinking "Why would they think that people wanted this?" Of course the simple answer is that it still sells. But if that's the only reason, they probably could've come up with a seperate brand to put it under, rather than cashing-out on a beloved series. It just feels cheap. The way they treat Fallout is cheap. I don't totally hate FO4 for what it is. But it didn't even feel like it needed to be a Fallout game. Like there was no point in calling it that when all it resulted in was either a half-baked Fallout game or an entirely different game, held back by trying to be a full Fallout game.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
It just feels cheap

Nail on the head. That's the whole point of them sticking to their franchises. They've always been behind the curve really. Not a single dev is so stuck to old ways and engines as this one, and especially: despite all of the issues surrounding it. They cultivated that as well. They made us love it, mod it. The end result is a deadly cocktail of community driven bugfixing (=cost reduction) and even a strong knowledge base within the community, while the community also owns the creativity of an open environment. Do as you please. No boss going at your throat for wasting weeks on a silly visual mod to get plants and trees looking better.

But it is exactly that high detail work that makes the games great now. Bethesda can't do it anymore, because simply put, they don't need it from their own devs anymore. They can just sell the sticker Fallout or TES, the engine that modders know, and they can trust them to make it right. FO76 was the final confirmation that is how things really are. More than a year post launch, the game finally got NPC's. NPCs! The bread and butter of story telling. Somehow that is apparently a part of the franchise you can just cut out and 'all is well'. Its obviously not. The world felt stale, weird, out of place... things just don't check out, and it feels like they had to find tons of weird excuses to justify the lack of NPCs. Its like... okay, so the neighbours' dog did survive everything, but not a single human could? Do you even logic? We'd eat the dog, right?

So Bethesda is now at a point where they have dev teams that are completely stuck in their own limited ways, constantly looking over their shoulder if some modder didn't destroy their online version of Fallout or created a mod in the offline version that just makes last year's work obsolete as its just lightyears ahead of them, or just has more freedom to circumvent the engine with extra code and tweaks that they can never build into it themselves.

But hey, at least they finally got their widescreen patch for DOOM out. Not the new one... no no. The old one.

:roll::roll::roll:

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
What am I not playing:
1599489428138.png

JFC Epic, get your sh*t together. 10 minutes to "download' 164 MB.

40 minutes and one epic store reinstall later:
1599491904996.png

Kill me now.

Last edited:
System Name The Darkside
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4
Cooling OEM
Memory 16gb G.Skill Fortis
Video Card(s) MSI Seahawk 1070
Storage 500gb Mushkin Pilot NVMe
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4k UHD
Case Corsair iCue 465X RGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard Reltek
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Software Windows 10
What... sub based online, voxel and moddable... this is like a triplet of major Red Flags.

Be wary of spending on it.

Why say that? I mean yes, the beta launch has been, short to say, very horrible. I'm sure the devs were not expecting to see an increase in traffic 10 fold or more. The voxel tech is actually quite nice. So many things can be made with it as I am learning voxelmancy more in depth. Once you get the hang of the basics, the rest comes easy. The game itself isn't modifiable but everything else in game is. You have territory units in which you set rights to so no one can take anything, alter or mine your claimed land. Plus, the Sanctuary Moon is PvE only.

System Name Kalima
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard RoG Strix B450-F
Cooling 6 120mm RGB case fans
Memory 4x16 (3200) Corsair Vengeance (RGB) Pro
Video Card(s) Zotac NVidia GeForce RTX2060
Storage 1x500G SSD 1x2T HDD
Display(s) 1 dell ?24"? on DP and a samsung 21" on HDMI
Case ASUS TUF GT301
Audio Device(s) Logitech G935 wireless headphones
Power Supply Thermaltake Gold 600W Rated 80+
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Win 10 (then lots of random games mostly :) )
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark time spy 7533
FFXIV , starting ES Morrowind (it was free on Bethesda a while ago, I'm finally getting around to it...), Minecraft (mainly with my son lol), and been playing a bit of katakana battle on steam

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Playing Control by Remedy on GeForce NOW ... yes, they have Turing GPU-s all over their data centers by now, and you can play with RTX options maxed @60 fps ... I use DLSS 720p though to have 60fps through all of the game locations ... the game is a treat

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Control is a great and unusual game, but some of those bosses...
this is doing my head in as he's impossible to kill

Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
So much for "I'll play some THPS after work":
1599504285635.png

Download and Read never update, writes are 550 MB/s or nothing. Seriously, how can they mess it up this badly?

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
Control is a great and unusual game, but some of those bosses...
this is doing my head in as he's impossible to kill
Fridgeman? He's brutal but manageable with the right skills and equipment. I usually settle it all with grip, levitate, and evade. There's a grip attachment you can get that makes shield the lesser defensive option...
throwing a handful of oddly-placed items in the furnace down in maintenance.

Even then it's still a crazy juggle, but doable. Just wait till round two... can always come back when you have more stuff. Also... there is a tougher boss... well imo he is. Good luck.

System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
Download and Read never update, writes are 550 MB/s or nothing. Seriously, how can they mess it up this badly?
Strange, to say the least. I have kinda encountered that bug a couple times, but I wasn't bothered because the updates were rather small (under 1 or 2 GBs).

To be frank I don't even understand how those graphs work, due to how messed up they look.

Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Strange, to say the least. I have kinda encountered that bug a couple times, but I wasn't bothered because the updates were rather small (under 1 or 2 GBs).

To be frank I don't even understand how those graphs work, due to how messed up they look.
Based on their reddit it's a worldwide clusterf#ck, multiple users reporting same issue.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Fridgeman? He's brutal but manageable with the right skills and equipment. I usually settle it all with grip, levitate, and evade. There's a grip attachment you can get that makes shield the lesser defensive option...
throwing a handful of oddly-placed items in the furnace down in maintenance.

Even then it's still a crazy juggle, but doable. Just wait till round two... can always come back when you have more stuff. Also... there is a tougher boss... well imo he is. Good luck.
No, I think's it's some weirdo called Salvador. Besides, I haven't' got the levitation mod yet and beating this creep gives it to me apparently.
I've decided to say au revoir to him for now, finish some other missions and come back when I have a bit more power. It really was doing my head in.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
No, I think's it's some weirdo called Salvador. Besides, I haven't' got the levitation mod yet and beating this creep gives it to me apparently.
I've decided to say au revoir to him for now, finish some other missions and come back when I have a bit more power. It really was doing my head in.
Ahh, yeah, he's tricky too. I use charge and shield. Charge is deadly there because of how packed-in everything is. Just needs a mid-level damage boost. I pick off the regular hiss and keep eyes on ole Salvo, tossing up the shield when he's ready to rock out. Or if you have a lot of energy, launch-cancel each attack.

The cool thing about these fights, is there are actually several ways to go about it. Sometimes you really just gotta be stronger, but most times there is another way. One of the main devs is quoted saying they designed the game to be beatable without any of the side abilities.

Processor Ryzen 1600AF @4.2Ghz 1.35v
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-A-MAX
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx L120t
Memory 16GB Team Group Dark Pro Sammy-B-die 3400mhz 14.15.14.30-1.4v
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600 XT THICC II PRO
Storage 240GB Brave eagle SSD/ 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Dell SE2719HR
Case MSI Mag Vampiric 011C AMD Ryzen Edition
Power Supply EVGA 600W 80+
Software Windows 10 Pro
Based on their reddit it's a worldwide clusterf#ck, multiple users reporting same issue.
it's just server overload, they had the same thing when they gave GTAV away for free, best off leaving it downloading overnight/until it's done or just waiting a couple of days for their servers to calm down a bit and you'll get your usual DL speed, unforutunately.... Epic just doesn't have the server capacity to be hosting exclusives with such demand despite all of their giveaways to grow the service, they should look into a distributed service like torrents or maybe spend some money upgrading their infrastructure to support the number of users that they are looking to attract

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Ahh, yeah, he's tricky too. I use charge and shield. Charge is deadly there because of how packed-in everything is. Just needs a mid-level damage boost. I pick off the regular hiss and keep eyes on ole Salvo, tossing up the shield when he's ready to rock out. Or if you have a lot of energy, launch-cancel each attack.

The cool thing about these fights, is there are actually several ways to go about it. Sometimes you really just gotta be stronger, but most times there is another way. One of the main devs is quoted saying they designed the game to be beatable without any of the side abilities.
In one video, a player hid behind the stairs. That's pretty much my default position in many boss fights anyway, so I might give that a try.
Often I try to find a blind spot where the AI doesn't have line of sight and I can keep sniping away until he hits the deck.
As you may gather, I'm not a fan of boss fights unless I can find a sweet spot.
Been meaning to upload this for ages, showing the level of detail which is impressive to say the least.
jesse-control.jpg

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
In one video, a player hid behind the stairs. That's pretty much my default position in many boss fights anyway, so I might give that a try.
Often I try to find a blind spot where the AI doesn't have line of sight and I can keep sniping away until he hits the deck.
As you may gather, I'm not a fan of boss fights unless I can find a sweet spot.
HAH! That's better than what I do. My whole strategy... for pretty much everything in that game, is to basically never hide... just be anywhere other than where you are, doing anything other than what you're doing. Become one with the chaos. I learned early that sometimes hiding is just waiting to get screwed.

But then... the game also tries to teach you at the very beginning that hiding is what you do to avoid projectiles... the whole launch passage, y'know.

And yeah... the did such a good job with the close-ups on Jesse's face. Not only can you see all of the imperfections of what looks like actual adult human skin, but the expressions with the eyes are spot-on. It feels weird to say, but their texture management is the sauce. I think they just do a really exhaustive job of putting the details only where you can see them... perhaps a system a little deeper than your standard-fare dynamic mipmapping. The detail-performance ratio is quite high.

Last edited:
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Been meaning to upload this for ages, showing the level of detail which is impressive to say the least.

And with a lowly 580 to boot. I didn't think gaming was possible without dlss and rtx.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
I'm glad to be above ground now and to find the scenery is quite stunning in Metro Exodus.
metro-exodus.jpg