1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus crosshair v formula club

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by skellattarr, Aug 12, 2012.

1. gmastra100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry , I just noted you have a 8120 on your rig, do you think there could be a compatibility issue with vishera ?
  2. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    AMD Turbo must be disabled

3. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    I also have the 8350. Just didn't update my sig. Done now :D

My 8120 is great, with very little CPU Voltage increase I gained on all 8-Core 1,300MHz over its default speed. Could not ask for anything better. I'll be putting her up for sale in due time.
    The Crosshair V loves Bulldozer/Piledriver.

I wish I had the time to further study my Bios settings so I may further assist you? Tell you what, let me see what I can do :)

OK found a PM I sent someone to assist him with his settings.
    Interesting, I always thought leaving this disabled hinders your ability for a high OC. In my opinion, I interpret this as sort of fooling the CPU to run higher clocks but with all 8-Cores. Never really tried disabling it interestingly.
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  4. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    Your core activation should be set on manual not auto that may be the problem.
  5. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    Maybe you are right
  6. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    I changed the bios to turbo core enabled. I notice no higher overlcok on my preset bios , actuaslly the bios GHZ on bootup is a little higher but in cinebench 64 it reads my cpu speed as what it would be normally 4.66 GHZ the boot up showed 4.724 GHZ. An intersting finding is that the OPEN GL score is about 2 FPS higher with Turbocore enabled. The cpu benchmark is the same as expected at 4.66 GHZ. Can't figure what that is all about. So you leave it on auto, not enabled?? And should I strart the overclock procedure all over again with turbo core on auto and see if I achieve a higher ghz on o.c.???

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  7. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    go into the bios and go to the advance tab then cpu configuration and disable core c6 state that should do the trick.
    nt300 says thanks.
  8. gmastra100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Few more settings
    Core Unlocker Disabled
    CPU activation Manual
    C6 disabled
    IOMMU disabled
    Initiate Graphic adapter Tried both PEG/PCI and PCI/PEG
    HPET Enabled

( monitoring Core Voltage = 0.912V)

May be connected, but I not that when I switch the computer on and am in bios the graphics card fan is slow ( cant hear it ) and this is the case until I boot up, can be 10s of minutes.
    When I am in windows, I quickly start up CPUz and it shows the proessor as running at 4.2GHz ( as expected) but after about 20sec I notice that the GPU fan becomes more audible ( ie speeding up ) and its at this point that the CPU clock drops to 1400MHz .
    I monitor the GPU , and its not hot .
    I dont think its the PSU as its a good make ( XFX 750W ( seasonic ))
    Wondering about the CFV voltage settings could there be a link ?
    Super XP, nt300 and os2wiz say thanks.
  9. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    The core voltage of .912 volts is way too low. I assume that is when the cpu speed is dropped down. Sure seems your psu is defective. How old is the seasonic? If thr power connectors are all solidly connected for the graphics card and to motherboard. Are all your cpu fans or coolers connected properly to the correct motherboard connectors? If all connection are solid then check that psu.

Are you sure you have both power connectors for the graphics card connected properly? I would test that psu
    if all is connected properly.
  10. gmastra100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Success :rockout:

Ok after all the advice of the epu was engaged . It seems it was.
    Not in bios, I had all the settings disabled. But when I was looking for voltage monitors in the AII suite under tools there was the EPU panel and it was set to max power saving.
    ( OK Sorry I didn't know it was there)
    Anyway changing the setting to high performance did the trick.
    I went from 1400MHz to 4000MHz.
    I ran the wei rating and it went from 6.0 to 6.5
    So went into bios and enabled all cores. Re-run the test and wei went to 7.6
    so thought I would try a little O/C so I hit the fast button
    Computer duly restarted this time at 4.45GHz.
    I ran the wei rating and it went to 7.8
    However I was running core temp and it was telling me I was hitting 80 deg on full load. So I have decided to hold back pressing the extreme OC until I get a better cooling kit.
    So pleased it was not a hardware problem
    But I do get warnings , like SB voltage 0V, Dram voltage 0V. temporarily , so I think they are hic cups.

Thank you for all your thoughts and help.
    nt300 says thanks.
  11. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    They are hiccups. By the way what kind of cooling do you have?? Just the stock fan that AMD supplied or something more elaborate? That 80degrees was the socket or core temp?? In any case it is too high and you need an H80 or preferably H100 Corsair if you want to do more extensive overclocking.
    I am so happy that you were able to discover the problem. It is so easy on a computer to do something very basic wrong and not discover it until after hours of hair pulling. I know it has happened to me on several occasions. Enjoy your new setup and keep in touch.
  12. gmastra100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi I will friend
    at present I have the basic stock cooler as I sold my last one with my old motherboard. My case limits the height of an air cooler to 150mm ( without removing the cool side fan)
    I was thinking if I went air cooler then Nochua-C14
    but my heart wants to water cooling. But something I can slowly improve on. Not too much of a fan of AIO.
    Take care and I will keep in touch
    Super XP, nt300 and os2wiz say thanks.
  13. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:

When you can afford it, a large mid-tower or full-tower case will defintiely aid in keeping thew cpu cooler. the good ones have large 230mm fans on top and side and better cable management. I have a Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra full tower case. It had two 230,mm fans on top and one side 230mm fan , 4 140pmm fans for hard drives or ssd, and a rear 140mm fan. I had to remove the 2 top fans to accomodate the 240mm radiator for the Corsair H100 liquid cooler. These things can add up fast to a lot of money, so take it one step at a time, and sell off whatever you replace so you have a down payment towards the new hardware. I spent TOO much money this year- about $1400 for the case, Radeon 7950 Graphics card, Fx-8350 cpu, hi-speed 16gb of G Skill memory, one 512GB ssd, a128GB ssd, and of course the Corsair H100. I am retired so I have no iincome other than my social security and a pension from 30 years as a hospital technologist. This stuff is fun but it can become an addiction. No matter how fast your computer is you always want it faster and you start to covet more and more expensive latest and greatest hardware. I really should pay a little more attention to the productivity applications I have and get more use out of them. We are in a global depression and it's going to last for years to come and things will be getting worse with more unemployment, wage cuts, wars for oil companies to profit, racism galore, etc etc etc. The hobby is fine but I try to keep myself grounded so that I can aid in the struggle to free ourselves from capitalist tyranny.
    It's been fun helping you with your problem, I always learn something new here and most of us are humble enough that we like to give back some of what we learn.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  14. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    You got a very nice gameing pc. :)
  15. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    for your warnings on the voltages if you run ai suite and cpu-z or any aether monitoring software at the same time it will do that.
  16. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    Oh how doesnt the Crosshair V need two power connectors to power the CPU?
    If you cash straped I would recomend at least the H70 by Corsair.
  17. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Looks like that program is not measuring the voltage properly.
  18. gmastra100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    right again,
    switched Cpuz off and messages have gone.
    Soon be time to wish folks Happy Xmas, So here is to all your help, Xmas and a Happy New year. ( Well that is if the Mayans have got it wrong Again)
    Super XP says thanks.
  19. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Merry Christmas to you too and everybody on TechPowerUp. :)

Should have time next week to install my FX-8350. Going to pick up some Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste. :D
    os2wiz says thanks.
  20. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Nope. It merely spreads out the power that is drawn over both EPS connectors, allowing for lower board temps and cable temps, since each will provide less overall. It'll also allow for more power when extreme clocking, but I doubt many will need it for 24/7 use.
  21. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Speak for yourself :D
  22. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:

Enjoy the holiday with your family. Speak to you again soon secret agent man!
  23. gmastra100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    what a bummer, water cooling is expensive !!!!
    I though I could pick up parts on the cheap and assemble a good cooling option.
    As they say in the UK:
    Not on your nelly.
    Then I thought about the All in ones. Don't really like them as they have mixed reviews.
    So we go to air coolers ?
    I see I can get a Noctua D-14 B grade for £30. It would mean removing the side fan. But I thought that could be my project. See how far I can overclock on load with an air cooler.
    The stock cooler is not very good.
    So What is my first goal 60deg C for a 30deg ambient at 4.5GHz ?
    set me a realistic challenge :)
  24. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Corsair's H100, 80, 70 & even 50 is a great choice. My H100 keeps my FX nice and cool:D
  25. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    How's the noise on that thing?
    os2wiz says thanks.