Tuesday, January 12th 2010

AMD Readies Radeon HD 5830, Seals Upper-Mainstream Gaps

Having reclaimed the positions of having the fastest graphics cards and the most powerful GPU with the DirectX 11 compliant Radeon HD 5000 series, AMD is looking to make DirectX 11 accessible to all market segments. Later this month, AMD is expected to announce its lower-mainstream Radeon HD 5600 products, but with it, also an addition to the Radeon HD 5800 series: the Radeon HD 5830. This product is expected to fill the gap between Radeon HD 5770 and Radeon HD 5850.

The Radeon HD 5770 is priced in the sub-$200 range, while the HD 5850 at around $300. This gap is currently held by the previous-generation Radeon HD 4890, which faces competition from some NVIDIA GeForce GTX 200 series products. It is expected that the Radeon HD 5830 will be about as powerful as a Radeon HD 4890 in current applications, while being priced slightly lower, and a little more competitive owing to its feature set and future-proofing. The new product could be announced on the 25th Jan. No additional details or specifications are known at this point.

Source: Nordic Hardware
Add your own comment

77 Comments on AMD Readies Radeon HD 5830, Seals Upper-Mainstream Gaps

#1
Scrizz
excellent!

and first post too!
Posted on Reply
#2
kylzer
Good news could be trading my 5770 in very soon :D
Posted on Reply
#3
Kantastic
Looks yummy, I'm glad I got my 5770 sold, I was starting to miss it too xD.
Posted on Reply
#4
Bo_Fox
Yay!!! A 5770 with 256-bit memory!!!

'nuff said!
Posted on Reply
#5
Fourstaff
Do you think it is halfway between a 5770 and 5850? or it is slightly closer to the 5850 and Ati will release a "5790" closer to 5770?
Posted on Reply
#6
gvblake22
Fourstaff said:
Do you think it is halfway between a 5770 and 5850? or it is slightly closer to the 5850 and Ati will release a "5790" closer to 5770?
I doubt we'll see a 5790, there's no point in flooding the market like that. Heck, I think the 5830 is kindof pointless but I'm still looking forward to the reviews. My guess is that the 5830 will be closer to 5850 than 5770.
Posted on Reply
#7
pantherx12
Brilliant, may get one actually......
Posted on Reply
#8
devguy
Man, on par with the 4890? That sounds disappointing to me. What I hope for is that it will be a 5850 with reduced clocks (kinda like 2900pro/xt), but chances are they are going to gut the stream processors to somewhere between 800 and 1440 (likely 1280) and reduced clocks.
Posted on Reply
#9
pantherx12
devguy said:
Man, on par with the 4890? That sounds disappointing to me. What I hope for is that it will be a 5850 with reduced clocks (kinda like 2900pro/xt), but chances are they are going to gut the stream processors to somewhere between 800 and 1440 (likely 1280) and reduced clocks.
It costs less :laugh:

Only 5 series card that is cheaper then is equivalent.
Posted on Reply
#10
Bo_Fox
Historically, the HD x7xx series (with the 2nd digit being 7) for the last 3 generations meant 128-bit bus.

The x8xx series meant 256-bit bus.

Fourstaff said:
Do you think it is halfway between a 5770 and 5850? or it is slightly closer to the 5850 and Ati will release a "5790" closer to 5770?
Well, a 4890 is 19% faster than a 5770, so I would expect a 5770 with 256-bit bus to be ~20% faster.

A 5850 is 28% faster than a 4890.



So, if the 5830 is exactly like a 5770, but with the same bandwidth as a 4890, it should be pretty much in between (roughly 22% faster than a 5770), after adding about 3% for optimizations due to the HD5k series architecture and drivers over the 4890.
Posted on Reply
#12
erocker
pantherx12 said:
It costs less :laugh:

Only 5 series card that is cheaper then is equivalent.
And it will overclock far past 4890 speeds I'm sure.
Posted on Reply
#13
pantherx12
erocker said:
And it will overclock far past 4890 speeds I'm sure.
Aswell as DX.11 ( which does look good, even if it flops its worth it for those few games! )
Lower power
Lower heat
Posted on Reply
#14
Bo_Fox
Yeah, but as long as the trilinear optimization problem will be fixed (at least if ATI decides to allow us to disable it), I'll have a hard time upgrading my 4870 to a 5770 or even a 5830--those DX11 games are still so few, far and between.

Take a look at this thread (the last couple pages) for the trilinear optimization fix (not 100% sure about the whole thing, though):

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=106814
Posted on Reply
#16
[I.R.A]_FBi
good replacement for my 4830 ... was saving for a 5850
Posted on Reply
#17
Jstn7477
DirectorC said:
OMG it's the GTX 275 KILLER
I'm glad that I chose to buy an Insignia Advanced 22" 1080p TV (which is now my PC monitor too, because my Sceptre 22" 1080p monitor that I got 2 months ago is utter shit) instead of a GTX 275. This TV kicks ass. :rockout:

I'll probably buy a 5K card sooner or later, since Fermi might be a furnace/leaf blower. :D
Posted on Reply
#18
EastCoasthandle
This is indeed good news. I suspect yields have improved to bring a lower 256 bit part.
Posted on Reply
#19
jmcslob
[I.R.A]_FBi said:
good replacement for my 4830 ... was saving for a 5850
my thoughts exactly:toast:
Posted on Reply
#21
Kantastic
To those to want to buy one of these, do it right when they're launched and still at MSRP. Availability will only decrease and prices are bound to increase.
Posted on Reply
#22
DirectorC
EastCoasthandle said:
I suspect yields have improved to bring a lower 256 bit part.
Eh? These cards are merely the latest victims of product binning. Not that I wouldn't rock one, but it's basically crippled versions of cards that would have otherwise ended up as 5870s.
Posted on Reply
#23
crazyeyesreaper
Chief Broken Rig
yea whats the point almost all chips both cpu and gpu tends to be done this way Nvidia does ATi does Intell and AMD both do it this is nothing new or worth even caring about because at the end of the day u still get a functional gpu that kicks ass end of story

without product binning there really wouldnt be a tiered gpu system it would be 1 gpu or nothing because no company will make a specific arch to fill 1 market segment
Posted on Reply
#24
DirectorC
crazyeyesreaper said:
yea whats the point almost all chips both cpu and gpu tends to be done this way Nvidia does ATi does Intell and AMD both do it this is nothing new or worth even caring about because at the end of the day u still get a functional gpu that kicks ass end of story

without product binning there really wouldnt be a tiered gpu system it would be 1 gpu or nothing because no company will make a specific arch to fill 1 market segment
Well, without product binning, either most wafers would end up being a waste, or the cost of creating microprocessors would be astronomical. It's just a natural process of the manufacturing process. Well, dammit, that's why the link that describes product binning has been in my sig all this time.

But basically, pure fact: this certainly says nothing about improvement.
Posted on Reply
#25
crazyeyesreaper
Chief Broken Rig
true enough im just being a dick and stating the obvious
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment