Saturday, March 27th 2010

NVIDIA Announces the GeForce GTX 480 and GeForce GTX 470 Graphics Cards

NVIDIA finally released the graphics cards it made many wait for: the DirectX 11 compliant GeForce GTX 480 and GeForce GTX 470. The two were unveiled at the PAX East gaming event, in the United States, as publications were allowed to post reviews right away. The two are based on the NVIDIA GF100 GPU, built on the 40 nm process. The higher-end GeForce GTX 480 packs 480 shader units (now referred to by NVIDIA as "CUDA cores"), branched geometry processing along with multiple tessellation units, and a 384-bit wide GDDR5 memory interface to connect to 1536 MB (1.5 GB) of memory.

The GeForce GTX 470 is the more affordable part, it packs 448 CUDA cores, and a 320-bit GDDR5 memory interface to connect to 1280 MB (1.25 GB) of memory. Both models support new features by NVIDIA, such as CUDA 3.0, faster PhysX acceleration, Stereoscopic 3D, 3D Vision surround multi display technology, as well as support for OpenCL and DirectCompute 5.0. While the GeForce GTX 480 has a suggested retail price of US $499, the GTX 470 is suggested to be priced at $349, although final pricing set by board partners could vary. NVIDIA is initially making tens of thousands of these cards, which should be available worldwide a little after April 12th.
Add your own comment

41 Comments on NVIDIA Announces the GeForce GTX 480 and GeForce GTX 470 Graphics Cards

#1
crazy pyro
Nope, NV made a 300 series, it's all rebadges of old stuff that they're selling to OEMs at the moment, I think they may be die shrinks of the older cards, can't remember off the top of my head though.
Posted on Reply
#2
entropy13
They're mostly DX10.1 cards of the 200 series.
Posted on Reply
#3
idx
the54thvoid said:

The GTX480 is >£100 more expensive than HD5870 in the UK. I would argue happily that only a turd burglar or NV loyalist* would 'happily' spend that much money on a card that isn't 50% better.

* - like a graphics card bigot.
The GTX480 can beat not only the 5870 but also it can beat the $699 Radeon HD 5970 ,and the funny thing is even the GTX470 can beat the DH 5870 in most of the tests. here is the price tag .. dont you think it worth it ????
* GeForce GTX 480 - $499
* GeForce GTX 470 - $349
* Radeon HD 5970 - $699
* Radeon HD 5870 - $429
* Radeon HD 5850 - $299
take a look at the test here..http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=888&type=expert

" sorry for my bad english" :D
Posted on Reply
#4
Unregistered
idx said:
i think its clear that you are an ATI fan .. anyway.. the GTX480 can beat not only the 5870 but also it can beat the $699 Radeon HD 5970 ,and the funny thing is even the GTX470 can beat the DH 5870 in most of the tests.
GTX480 beats HD5970????? In what performance tests?????? Aaaa, I see. It beats it alright in power consumption, heat and noise!! 100% agree with you here, no argue.
#5
idx
TAViX said:

GTX480 beats HD5970????? In what performance tests?????? Aaaa, I see. It beats it alright in power consumption, heat and noise!! 100% agree with you here, no argue.
sorry mate , im sure that the GTX480 cant beat the 7970 thing in your picture, im talking about the tests that they did run both cards on it you can go check by your self, + you will see it soon here too. and BTW im not an nvidia fan nor ati i have both cards the gtx 285 and the hd4870x2 . im just looking for the best thats all..and dont forget that the HD4870x2 was running on like 105C°.. :D

dont be mad on me Bro.. im just saying . :D

take a look at this full review http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=888&type=expert

"sorry for my bad en"
Posted on Reply
#6
Unregistered
Haha. I'm not mad. Me mad?? I've got other problems in real life to be mad at, haha. Glad you like my sig. With the current path of new video cards, I wouldn't be surprise that a video card to be that long in a few years, heh.

Regarding your "tests", I recommend to read some more reviews, a lot more. You can start with the one from this site. The GTX480 beats the 5970 ONLY in nvidia optimized games with physics crap activated. And this is ONLY because the developers intentionally cut the performance of the game when a non-nvidia card is detected. Thanks God we only have a few games...
#7
erocker
Senior Moderator
idx said:
sorry mate , im sure that the GTX480 cant beat the 7970 thing in your picture, im talking about the tests that they did run both cards on it you can go check by your self, + you will see it soon here too. and BTW im not an nvidia fan nor ati i have both cards the gtx 285 and the hd4870x2 . im just looking for the best thats all..and dont forget that the HD4870x2 was running on like 105C°.. :D

dont be mad on me Bro.. im just saying . :D



"sorry for my bad en"
I've checked the results many times myself. The review is up on this site and many others and it clearly shows that the GTX 480 is not as fast as the 5970.

Posted on Reply
#8
Unregistered
Personally, for me, the fact that consumes more, is noisier and hotter than a 5970, it's a big no-no. Sure it might be future proof for the next year, or next-next year games that MIGHT utilize big time tessellation&stuff, but then again, by the time those game are released and a 5850 could not handle them, we already have 2 or more new generations of cards. BTW, ATI is releasing the next gen by the Christmas, so....

Another thing. As long as those crappy consoles are still around, we will keep seeing the ports to the PC, ports that don't require more than a 4850 or a GTX260 to be played at full quality, with some exceptions off-course.

Anyways, I was kinda thinking, what game on PC is so good that it requires to buy a new video card right now??? Absolutely NONE.
#9
idx
TAViX said:
Personally, for me, the fact that consumes more, is noisier and hotter than a 5970, it's a big no-no. Sure it might be future proof for the next year, or next-next year games that MIGHT utilize big time tessellation&stuff, but then again, by the time those game are released and a 5850 could not handle them, we already have 2 or more new generations of cards. BTW, ATI is releasing the next gen by the Christmas, so....

Another thing. As long as those crappy consoles are still around, we will keep seeing the ports to the PC, ports that don't require more than a 4850 or a GTX260 to be played at full quality, with some exceptions off-course.

Anyways, I was kinda thinking, what game on PC is so good that it requires to buy a new video card right now??? Absolutely NONE.
i think the DX11 Hardware Tessellation is really going to make a big deal.. "lets hop that will be seen soon"

if you can increase it to scale with the gpu that you are running on " i heard that even the shaders will be affected too" then this is will be so great ..

take a look at this http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-470-480-review/10
Posted on Reply
#10
Unregistered
Like I've said. Currently there are absolutely no games that use this feature. NONE. By the time they release some, already will be another generation cards available...
#11
human_error
TAViX said:
Like I've said. Currently there are absolutely no games that use this feature. NONE. By the time they release some, already will be another generation cards available...
actually AvP uses hardware tesselation, and dirt2 used it for doing something with the crowd or flags (cant remember which). Anyway the tesselators in the hd5k series are plenty powerful to be able to handle the load in those games, so it isn't like ATi are at a disadvantage at the moment.

oh and i'd be very careful when reading guru3d's reviews - if nvidia released a lump of coal and called it a graphics card guru3d would praise it.
Posted on Reply
#12
the54thvoid
@ Idx

There are at least a half dozen reviews out there that does not have the GTX480 coming anywhere near the HD5970. You have quoted two sites that are suspiciously pro NV. Guru dismisses the power draw, noise and heat as acceptable whilst almost every other review does not.

If you're going to quote reviews to support your theory, lets play that game. Heres the Hd5970 beating GTX480 sites...

Hexus - http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=24000&page=17
Anandtech - http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3783&p=20
Techpowerup- http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_480_Fermi/36.html
Bright Side of News - http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2010/3/26/nvidia-geforce-gtx-480--gtx-480-sli-review.aspx?pageid=7
Bjorn3D - http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1831&pageID=8798
Legit Reviews - http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1258/16/
Hardware Heaven - http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews.php?reviewid=950&pageid=24

Shall I Go on?
Posted on Reply
#13
saikamaldoss
pantherx12 said:
Whilst a troll post, that was funny as hell and I spat up my coffee :laugh:
"troll post" give a reason please :)
Posted on Reply
#14
saikamaldoss
btarunr said:
Not this thread. Do you brush your teeth in the kitchen?
ya at times but i don't gargle with toilet water like some others :laugh:

it was a mistake m8.. i had too many links open.. hmmm
Posted on Reply
#15
tkpenalty
TAViX said:
Personally, for me, the fact that consumes more, is noisier and hotter than a 5970, it's a big no-no. Sure it might be future proof for the next year, or next-next year games that MIGHT utilize big time tessellation&stuff, but then again, by the time those game are released and a 5850 could not handle them, we already have 2 or more new generations of cards. BTW, ATI is releasing the next gen by the Christmas, so....

Another thing. As long as those crappy consoles are still around, we will keep seeing the ports to the PC, ports that don't require more than a 4850 or a GTX260 to be played at full quality, with some exceptions off-course.

Anyways, I was kinda thinking, what game on PC is so good that it requires to buy a new video card right now??? Absolutely NONE.
Indeed, most of the new games can still be played on the cockroach GPU 8800GT at mid-high settings...
Posted on Reply
#16
Unregistered
Good thing that both companies have DX11 capable cards. We needs more DX11 games, now that everybody is on Win7. :D
Add your own comment