Thursday, June 2nd 2011

G.Skill Breaks SuperPi 32M LGA1155 World Record

During the first day of Computex 2011, three legendary overclockers, Shamino, Fredyama and Young Pro smashed the super Pi 32M record at the G.Skill booth. They achieved incredible Super Pi 32M time of 5min 33.172s with amazing ram speed of DDR3 2340MHz CL6-9-6-25 1T. This is the fastest Super Pi 32M record recorded using the latest Intel LGA 1155 platforms. This amazing score was achieved with top in-line hardware, G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz CL8 4GB (2GBx2) PI memory, ASUS ROG Maximus IV Extreme motherboard and Intel 2600K CPU.
Add your own comment

31 Comments on G.Skill Breaks SuperPi 32M LGA1155 World Record

#1
Tatty_One
Senior Moderator
cadaveca said:
Bleh. That's not a big deal, really, now is it? It's not like there is some hardware mods, or you gotta mod the BIOS for functionality...there's really no challenge left, other than the physical ones the silicon introduces, and overcoming those can be figured out easily, with a bit of help.

I'm much more intereted in 24/7 acheivable records, but that sort of stuff doesn't get hyped any more.

Don't get me wrong, sub-zero stuff is cool.:laugh:, but just not that interesting to me.
I agree but I think he is talking more about the real in depth knowledge of hardware functionality, we still see fairly big "gaps" in acheivements with overclocking with the same kit and some go down different routes to get there, you know, sometimes a subtle tweak with GTL ref voltages can get you through a wall that seems to stop most people, however I agree that most knowledgable overclockers can get pretty much the limit out of their hardware and often any differences can just be down to silicon and the like.
Posted on Reply
#2
rickss69
cadaveca said:
Bleh. That's not a big deal, really, now is it? It's not like there is some hardware mods, or you gotta mod the BIOS for functionality...there's really no challenge left, other than the physical ones the silicon introduces, and overcoming those can be figured out easily, with a bit of help.

I'm much more intereted in 24/7 acheivable records, but that sort of stuff doesn't get hyped any more.

Don't get me wrong, sub-zero stuff is cool.:laugh:, but just not that interesting to me.
I'm not speaking of sub-zero work here. The very first time I tried my hand at SuperPi 32 was a small contest which limited the cpu frequency to the point where uber cooling was not needed or a factor. I was amazed at the difference the lack of knowledge of subtle changes had on results. 3DMark2001 comes to mind...if one does not know the unique methods of a particular benchmark the results will most certainly be less than stellar. There is so much more to benching than just clicking the "start" button.
Posted on Reply
#4
cadaveca
My name is Dave
rickss69 said:
I'm not speaking of sub-zero work here. The very first time I tried my hand at SuperPi 32 was a small contest which limited the cpu frequency to the point where uber cooling was not needed or a factor. I was amazed at the difference the lack of knowledge of subtle changes had on results. 3DMark2001 comes to mind...if one does not know the unique methods of a particular benchmark the results will most certainly be less than stellar. There is so much more to benching than just clicking the "start" button.
Don't care about that stuff, either. things like copywazza and all the others, tweaks to free up mem, etc, are of no use to me.


Of course, these techniques can be applied by programmers in order t ocreate efficient code, but I really do question "World Records" being hyped my OEMs. The money that goes in the guys that do these benching demos, doesn't really offer anything to the end user, nor does it actually have anything to do with the hardware, other than luck, for exactly the same reasons you mentioned.

It's not like I wasn't part of the sub-zero crowd. I got as high as 53rd on HWBOT.
Posted on Reply
#5
rickss69
cadaveca said:
Don't care about that stuff, either. things like copywazza and all the others, tweaks to free up mem, etc, are of no use to me.
Then you have spent a great deal of time commenting on something that holds no interest for yourself. Others here might express an interest or want to give it a spin.
Posted on Reply
#6
cadaveca
My name is Dave
Just stating my opinion. You don't have to like it. Having done all of this stuff makes my opinion slightly valid, whether you personally like it or not.

Seeing YoungPro, FredYama, and Shamino I DO have interest in...which is why i started posting in this thread in the first place.

Only half of my posts have been about my opinion on the validity for the majority of users of such demonstrations. The rest have been anwering questions.

I also think sub-zero clockers holding back on what tweaks they use, is a bit underhanded.
Posted on Reply