Monday, June 27th 2011

Core i7-980 Released at US $583

As reported last week, Intel released its new Core i7-980 six-core processor to the retail channel. The new chip is priced at US $583 in 1000-unit tray quantities, displacing the Core i7-970 from this exact price point it previously held. It is expected that the i7-970 could eventually become cheaper while the platform is still in the market. The Core i7-980 is a socket LGA1366 six-core processor based on the 32 nm "Westmere" silicon. It is clocked at 3.33 GHz, with Turbo Boost speeds of up to 3.60 GHz. Unlike the Core i7-980X Extreme Edition, this chip has an upwards locked BClk multiplier, and its QPI link runs at 4.80 GT/s instead of 6.40 GT/s on the 980X Extreme Edition. As a trade off, the new chip is a little over half the price of the 980X Extreme Edition, which retailed for around US $999.

Source: TechConnect Magazine
Add your own comment

34 Comments on Core i7-980 Released at US $583

#1
mtosev
One of the last LGA1366 chips. LGA2011 is just around the corner.
Posted on Reply
#2
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
mtosev said:
One of the last LGA1366 chips. LGA2011 is just around the corner.
If "around the corner" is "6 months away", then yes.
Posted on Reply
#3
Mydog
btarunr said:
If "around the corner" is "6 months away", then yes.
Did I miss something, I thought SB-E on LGA2011 was going to be relased in September.:confused:
Posted on Reply
#4
Red_Machine
I think this (coupled with the impending release of Bulldozer) has caused the Nehalem-based chips to drop in price. The i7 960 is now under £200.
Posted on Reply
#5
Trackr
btarunr said:
If "around the corner" is "6 months away", then yes.
If by "6 months away" you mean "UP TO 6 months away", then yes.

Not the same thing.. ;)
Posted on Reply
#6
ensabrenoir
btarunr said:
If "around the corner" is "6 months away", then yes.
Nnnnnnooooooooooo........ wait more time to save up more money. Totally high end everything ........ I fcan do that. just hope this whole bulldozer. 2011 thing lives up to the hype speculation and marketing being done
Posted on Reply
#7
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
Trackr said:
If by "6 months away" you mean "UP TO 6 months away", then yes.

Not the same thing.. ;)
I meant 6 months away. LGA2011 is an Xmas/pre-CES launch.
Posted on Reply
#8
Trackr
btarunr said:
I meant 6 months away. LGA2011 is an Xmas/pre-CES launch.
I don't know how you inferred that from the word "Q4".
Posted on Reply
#9
[H]@RD5TUFF
I gotta say it's good to see this kinda power in the sub 600 dollar market.


Trackr said:
I don't know how you inferred that from the word "Q4".
^
Posted on Reply
#10
the54thvoid
btarunr said:
I meant 6 months away. LGA2011 is an Xmas/pre-CES launch.
By which point you look at your cash and think to yourself, "I'll just wait for Ivybridge now".
Posted on Reply
#11
El_Mayo
btarunr said:
I meant 6 months away. LGA2011 is an Xmas/pre-CES launch.
I couldn't find any release date besides "Q4", where did you read it's an xmas release?
Posted on Reply
#12
DaedalusHelios
El_Mayo said:
I couldn't find any release date besides "Q4", where did you read it's an xmas release?
I don't think he can say anymore about that. I think he is under NDA.
Posted on Reply
#13
Arctucas
[H]@RD5TUFF said:
I gotta say it's good to see this kinda power in the sub 600 dollar market.




^
Yes, hopefully Microcenter will offer them in the ~$380 range.
Posted on Reply
#14
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
the54thvoid said:
By which point you look at your cash and think to yourself, "I'll just wait for Ivybridge now".
Ivy Bridge is a different segment. The first Ivy Bridge chips (LGA1155) won't be a match for Sandy Bridge-E (LGA2011).
Posted on Reply
#15
Hayder_Master
Stock last extreme cpu's locked the multiplier and sell on half price.
Posted on Reply
#16
mtosev
btarunr said:
If "around the corner" is "6 months away", then yes.
yup. 6 months is just around the corner for me. LGA1366 will be 3 years old this year.So LGA1366 is a bit outdated
Posted on Reply
#17
Trackr
btarunr said:
Ivy Bridge is a different segment. The first Ivy Bridge chips (LGA1155) won't be a match for Sandy Bridge-E (LGA2011).
Another unsubstantiated claim.

Nothing is known about Ivy Bridge (22nm) and Sandy Bridge-E (32nm) in terms of performance.
Posted on Reply
#18
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
Trackr said:
Another unsubstantiated claim.

Nothing is known about Ivy Bridge (22nm) and Sandy Bridge-E (32nm) in terms of performance.
It's just as unsubstantiated as claiming that you'll look forward to Ivy Bridge by the time Sandy Bridge-E is in the market. Intel won't see a market for Sandy Bridge-E if it doesn't perform a lot better than Ivy Bridge, even if it's released 6 months ahead of Ivy Bridge. There will be a market only if Sandy Bridge-E is able to dominate the market for at least an year before there's an Ivy Bridge architecture-based LGA2011 processor. That's how punters predict how things turn out without needing material substantiation.
Posted on Reply
#19
Trackr
btarunr said:
It's just as unsubstantiated as claiming that you'll look forward to Ivy Bridge by the time Sandy Bridge-E is in the market. Intel won't see a market for Sandy Bridge-E if it doesn't perform a lot better than Ivy Bridge, even if it's released 6 months ahead of Ivy Bridge. There will be a market only if Sandy Bridge-E is able to dominate the market for at least an year before there's an Ivy Bridge architecture-based LGA2011 processor. That's how punters predict how things turn out without needing material substantiation.
I agree that it's logical to assume that Intel will limit the performance of Ivy Bridge on S1155.

But it is still just as unsubstantiated as claiming you know which month X79/S2011 will be released.

Also, your English is great for someone who lives in India, but you've made a few glaring grammar mistakes. You are as enlightened as the great Ganesha and can do no wrong.
Posted on Reply
#20
caleb
Oh please do point some grammar mistakes.
Posted on Reply
#21
Red_Machine
Trackr said:
Also, your English is great for someone who lives in India, but you've made a few glaring grammar mistakes.
Why is it that when somebody starts losing an argument, they resort to attacking their opponent?
Posted on Reply
#22
Trackr
Red_Machine said:
Why is it that when somebody starts losing an argument, they resort to attacking their opponent?
You're assuming I was losing because I made a personal comment, not the other way around.
Posted on Reply
#23
digibucc
actually, you're wrong. it was the other way around.
you made a personal comment, which we assumed was BECAUSE you lost.

i think you should decide, whether you want to be that guy that no one wants to discuss
anything with or not. you made your point, he made his. we know and trust bta, we don't
know and trust you. you haven't demonstrated anything close to a calm, conversational
attitude. you came right out of the gate attacking him, when technically you both are just
guessing.

i'll take his guess over yours, but at the same time they are guesses. there is really nothing
to argue about and nothing to be proven either way. yet.

tell you what, when it comes out, if it's not in nov/dec , then you win. drop it until then.
Posted on Reply
#24
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
Guys, let us not get into bickering.
Posted on Reply
#25
claylomax
btarunr said:
If "around the corner" is "6 months away", then yes.
Bulldozer has been "around the corner" for ages now.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment