Thursday, July 14th 2011

FX-Series Processors Clock Speeds 'Revealed'

On several earlier articles like this one, we were versed with the model numbers and even possible prices of AMD's next-generation FX series desktop processors, but the clock speeds stayed under the wraps, that's until a table listing them out was leaked. AMD's FX-series consists of eight-core FX-81xx parts, six-core FX-61xx, and quad-core FX-41xx parts, probably harvested out of the Zambezi silicon by disabling modules (groups of two cores closely interconnected with some shared resources). Most, if not all, FX series chips have unlocked multipliers, making it a breeze to overclock them. All chips come in the AM3+ package, feature 8 MB of L3 cache, and 2 MB L2 cache per module.

Leading the pack is FX-8150, with a clock speed of 3.6 GHz, and TurboCore speed of 4.2 GHz, a 500 MHz boost. The next chip, FX-8120, has a boost of close to a GHz, it has a clock speed of 3.1 GHz, that goes all the way up to 4 GHz with TurboCore. This will be available in 125W and 95W TDP variants. Next up is the FX-8100, with 2.8 GHz clock speed, that goes up to 3.7 GHz, another 900 MHz boost. The scene shifts to 6-core chips, with FX-6120, no clock speed numbers were given out for this one. FX-6100, on the other hand, is clocked at 3.3 GHz, with 3.9 GHz Turbo. The FX-4100 is the only quad-core part with clock speeds given out by this source: 3.6 GHz, with a tiny 200 MHz boost to 3.8 GHz. You can see that there is no pattern in the turbo speed amounts specific to models, and hence we ask you to take these with a pinch of salt.

Source: DonanimHaber
Add your own comment

412 Comments on FX-Series Processors Clock Speeds 'Revealed'

#1
Pestilence
erocker said:
FUD travels just as fast too.
One mans fud is another mans fookie... don't ask.. :laugh:

I enjoyed reading the progression of the BD ES chips. I'm very curious how C0 will do.
Posted on Reply
#2
Thatguy
With a totally brand new chip, with all new parts, with all new tech, with a new process. do you think we are going to get b3's ? I suspect we may see c2 or higher revisions in reality. Its all new, so it was bound to have bugs IIRC it tapped out over the winter which means they have likely been into bug fixs for a while. designing a new micro is no small feat. That siad. I disagree with some statements here about bulldozer having a lower IPC. I think they are looking at the design from the wrong angle.

But we shall see.
Posted on Reply
#3
YautjaLord
Pestilence said:
People know because everyone has a computer these days as well as a cell phone. News travels fast
erocker said:
FUD travels just as fast too.
:laugh: True + it's good Photoshop break for laughs (trying to create Web 2.0/3D-like navbar in this prog, so far it pisses me off then helping); thanx for entertainment. roflcopter

Pestilence said:
One mans fud is another mans fookie... don't ask.. :laugh:

I enjoyed reading the progression of the BD ES chips. I'm very curious how C0 will do.
Yes i want to see bta do a C0 review too & quite eagerly, but only when this FX-8120/8150 released. Gotta go back to searching for "Creating Glass/Embossed/3D/etc... navbar in Photoshop" tutors. :) See you all by end of this week. :toast:
Posted on Reply
#4
Pestilence
Thatguy said:
With a totally brand new chip, with all new parts, with all new tech, with a new process. do you think we are going to get b3's ? I suspect we may see c2 or higher revisions in reality. Its all new, so it was bound to have bugs IIRC it tapped out over the winter which means they have likely been into bug fixs for a while. designing a new micro is no small feat. That siad. I disagree with some statements here about bulldozer having a lower IPC. I think they are looking at the design from the wrong angle.

But we shall see.
If this tester is just now getting his C0 i can totally see the top of the line BD being a limited supply run for the first few months of release.
Posted on Reply
#5
Wile E
Power User
Thatguy said:
this gets so annoying, you don't have to make ferraris to be competitive, you just have to build a better toyota camary.
Depends on what ground you are competing. Competing for maximum profits? You are 100% correct. Competing for the performance crown? Couldn't be more wrong.

I don't give a shit about the Camry, I want to know what the Ferrari is doing.
Posted on Reply
#6
cadaveca
My name is Dave
Wile E said:
I don't give a shit about the Camry, I want to know what the Ferrari is doing
I can't afford a Ferrari, so any time spent looking at it, or even remotely thinking about it, seems pointless.


Camry doesn't work for me either...it's to small to fit my entire family in it. ;)


I mean, if I wanted to be Ben Johnson, I'd take steriods. however, not everyone agrees that taking steriods in professional sports is a good idea.


Funny. Sounds like manufacturer's focus on top performance, may not be so prudent, when compared with real-life situations. I can only hope that the execs that have control over these things, like myself, don't live in fantasy worlds were everyone is rich, and can afford a Ferrari.


Don't know who Ben Johnson is? That's OK, I don't know the point of LN2 benchmarking for performance comparison or marketing, either.
Posted on Reply
#7
Wile E
Power User
cadaveca said:
I can't afford a Ferrari, so any time spent looking at it, or even remotely thinking about it, seems pointless.


Camry doesn't work for me either...it's to small to fit my entire family in it. ;)


I mean, if I wanted to be Ben Johnson, I'd take steriods. however, not everyone agrees that taking steriods in professional sports is a good idea.


Funny. Sounds like manufacturer's focus on top performance, may not be so prudent, when compared with real-life situations. I can only hope that the execs that have control over these things, like myself, don't live in fantasy worlds were everyone is rich, and can afford a Ferrari.


Don't know who Ben Johnson is? That's OK, I don't know the point of LN2 benchmarking for performance comparison or marketing, either.
I'm a car enthusiast. When I want to read about cars, I want to read about the fast ones and how they perform against the competition. Doesn't mean I'm gonna buy them, but reading about family sedans is no damn fun.

Just like with computers, when I want to read about them, I want to read about the fast ones and how they compare. I don't want to know what the budget chips can do. The only difference here is, I'm likely much more able to save up money to get the top performer, and will do so if the opportunity arises.

And yes, I remember Ben, and the scandal in Seoul.
Posted on Reply
#8
cadaveca
My name is Dave
Wile E said:
reading about family sedans is no damn fun
Then it should be the job of those that sell them to make them more fun, rather than providing a distraction from the lack of enjoyment.

Wile E said:
I don't want to know what the budget chips can do.
In my world, you fix problems at the source, not patch things over with bandaids.

Of course, there's always a place in the market for the Ferraris, but that doesn't mean that everyone needs to have a model like it all thier own. Fortunately, the market is large enough that exclusion of such product lines is not only feasible, the remaining segments are such that should not, and cannot, be ignored.

Wile E said:
And yes, I remember Ben, and the scandal in Seoul.
And the largest segment deserves the largest investment. Success comes through sacrifice, but you must never sacrifice too much(like Ben did). Buying a Ferrari, and then living in a cardboard box, is just silly.

So it remains to be seen..is AMD making some sort of sacrifice here? Seems like the time delay was a sacrifice in sales, to me. Are these clockspeeds enough, or did they sacrifice too much? Ferrari, or Camry? ;)
Posted on Reply
#9
YautjaLord
I'm muscle/sports/monster vehicle fan & as long as it have speeds in excess of 200 kmph it's fine by me, but i vote Mustang Shelby 2006 or anything with V10 & 280/300 kmph. Same goes for CPUs: if the Intel currently is like Ferrari & VIA is like Toyota Corolla (which is not bad either - 240 kmph is quite good too), then AMD is Mustang Shelby 2006/2009 with V8 & with excellent speeding (and ramming) abilities. :) Hello, decided to jump over here to see what comments do you have b4 i'll google for navbar creation tutors. :roll:

But if Dozer becomes prototype F1 bolid of CPU & still sold like great muscle car - that would be real funny, if not hillarious (in a good way).
Posted on Reply
#10
Thefumigator
YautjaLord said:
I'm muscle/sports/monster vehicle fan & as long as it have speeds in excess of 200 kmph it's fine by me, but i vote Mustang Shelby 2006 or anything with V10 & 280/300 kmph. Same goes for CPUs: if the Intel currently is like Ferrari & VIA is like Toyota Corolla (which is not bad either - 240 kmph is quite good too), then AMD is Mustang Shelby 2006/2009 with V8 & with excellent speeding (and ramming) abilities. :) Hello, decided to jump over here to see what comments do you have b4 i'll google for navbar creation tutors. :roll:

But if Dozer becomes prototype F1 bolid of CPU & still sold like great muscle car - that would be real funny, if not hillarious (in a good way).
What I'm liking from AMD is the platform itself. The AM3 backward compatibility on a completely new microarch. I mean, it should be like a Mustang Shelby which was owned by someone who never used it. I feel it that way.
Posted on Reply
#11
YautjaLord
Mmmmm.... Mustang Shelby w/V10 or better V12-type of current AMD CPU & still no company have a time to optimize any apps for it, just for Intel with HT; beats me. Atleast there's now one app (actually it's a game & it starts with C lol) that uses multicore CPUs to extent so i hope to see this app running & optimized for both Dozer & SB/IB; numbers like that suppose to determine how good or bad the competition is. And if SisSandra & other CPU benchmarking apps will include optimizations for both Intel's & AMD's upcoming CPUs as well - the better. Off-topic: Mustang Shelby costs ~190000 sheckels in Israel; 190000 divide by 3.5 & you'll get the price in USD; drives just as fast & doesn't cost a fortune like Ferrarys & other sports cars that cost 500000 - 1000000 sheckels. Same should be with CPUs. Just my 2 cents, though. Thanx Thefumigator. :)
Posted on Reply
#12
Pestilence
Bulldozer isn't a Shelby.

Bd is more like a V8. It has high power consumption and is a bitch to cool

Sandy Bridge is a Turbod 4cyl. Doesn't eat a lot of power and can hit 5ghz on air
Posted on Reply
#13
YautjaLord
Hope to see that when new Dozer info is out; hope by end of this month there will be news when it's released for real & what real specs each CPU (FX-8xxx/6xxx/4xxx) will have. And i hope the Dozer is not Shelby but rather F1 bolid instead. :laugh: Plus i love the 3.1GHz to 4.0GHz Turbo mode (not that it needed when you decide to go over 4.0GHz). Right now my current CPU (Phenom II 965BE) is close to Shelby 2005/2006 with V8/10 after 4.0GHz OC. :)
Posted on Reply
#14
Pestilence
YautjaLord said:
Hope to see that when new Dozer info is out; hope by end of this month there will be news when it's released for real & what real specs each CPU (FX-8xxx/6xxx/4xxx) will have. And i hope the Dozer is not Shelby but rather F1 bolid instead. :laugh: Plus i love the 3.1GHz to 4.0GHz Turbo mode (not that it needed when you decide to go over 4.0GHz). Right now my current CPU (Phenom II 965BE) is close to Shelby 2005/2006 with V8/10 after 4.0GHz OC. :)
A Phenom II X4 is close to a Ford Fiesta at no matter what clock speed :laugh:
Posted on Reply
#15
YautjaLord
Something i just came up & also something for us to laugh at: to beat Ferrary - say - 2011 on it's own field one have to be either...... a Ferrary 2012 or something close to 2012 F1 bolid. I hope FX-8150/8120 will be something between Ferrary 2012 & 2012 F1 bolid. Atleast the specs of those two say they're pretty much that fast. Ford Fiesta? Still fast, but not as Shelby. Though i wanna see how my current CPU will run when paired with Sabertooth 990FX, 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz, Indigo Extreme ETI & AX1200W PSU; bet close to Shelby 2005. Plus i think that i prooved myself as Mustang fan now, didn't i? :laugh:

P.S. Photoshop/Crysis/Bioshock (giving you few of the apps i have) doesn't give that much of a flying f*** bout CPU rather GPUs when at 1920x1200 (excluding Photoshop); with 2xGTX 460s SLI they run like champs though OC'd CPU is favored too.
Posted on Reply
#16
Pestilence
Xbit labs Article on BD

fter Advanced Micro Devices releases its FX-series microprocessors code-named Zambezi this September, the company will only refresh its lineup of high-end chips sometimes in the first quarter of next year. The first refresh of desktop Bulldozer family will likely precede the launch of Intel Corp.'s code-named Ivy Bridge microprocessors.

Despite of the fact that AMD's initial family of FX-series Bulldozer microprocessors will only include for models (two eight-core versions, one six-core and one quad-core models), AMD will not broaden it until at least the middle of the first quarter of next year, according to a source with knowledge of AMD's confidential plans. In mid-Q1 2012 AMD is projected to introduce four new models, which will broaden the FX lineup to eight stock-keeping units (SKUs).



The initial family of AMD desktop chips based on Bulldozer micro-architecture due in September will include models FX-8150, FX-8100, FX-6100 and FX-4100. The refresh lineup scheduled to arrive in mid-Q1 2011 will contain FX-8170, FX-8120, FX-6120 and FX-4120 models. Exact specifications of the AMD FX chips currently known only from unofficial sources.



Earlier this year it turned out that AMD had to delay commercial launch of its desktop FX-series microprocessors due to insufficient performance of B0 and B1 stepping Zambezi/Bulldozer processors, which could function only at around 2.50GHz/3.50GHz (nominal/turbo) clock-speeds. As a consequence, AMD needed to tune the design of the processor and create B2 stepping of the chip with better clock-speed potential amid similar thermal design power (TDP), which is not a quick process. Looks like the delay of the initial family also made AMD to postpone the refresh.

AMD itself believes that its multi-core Zambezi FX CPUs will allow it to compete head-to-head with Intel's high-end Core i-series "Sandy Bridge" processors that can sell for as much as $300 and more per chip. It should be noted that the refreshed AMD FX "Zambezi" lineup will compete against Intel's Sandy Bridge E as well as Ivy Bridge microprocessors due in late Q4 2011 and March-April, 2012, respectively.
Posted on Reply
#17
cadaveca
My name is Dave
Rehash of old info for hits. :D You posted why? Same info is in the OP...
Posted on Reply
#18
Pestilence
cadaveca said:
Rehash of old info for hits. :D You posted why?
Old info? I thought it was brand new. :laugh: My bad guys

It's NEW TO ME!!!!!!!! :laugh:
Posted on Reply
#19
cadaveca
My name is Dave
Sure, because you never posted in this thread before...:shadedshu

Pestilence said:
Exact specifications of the AMD FX chips currently known only from unofficial sources.
QFT. GTFO.

This is so important, I'mma gonna post it again.

Pestilence said:
Exact specifications of the AMD FX chips currently known only from unofficial sources.
Posted on Reply
#20
Thatguy
YautjaLord said:
I'm muscle/sports/monster vehicle fan & as long as it have speeds in excess of 200 kmph it's fine by me, but i vote Mustang Shelby 2006 or anything with V10 & 280/300 kmph. Same goes for CPUs: if the Intel currently is like Ferrari & VIA is like Toyota Corolla (which is not bad either - 240 kmph is quite good too), then AMD is Mustang Shelby 2006/2009 with V8 & with excellent speeding (and ramming) abilities. :) Hello, decided to jump over here to see what comments do you have b4 i'll google for navbar creation tutors. :roll:

But if Dozer becomes prototype F1 bolid of CPU & still sold like great muscle car - that would be real funny, if not hillarious (in a good way).
I think AMd is building a corvette zr1 2011 model and you'd have to compare it to other exoctics to see why its such a tremndous car, I think the 4 and 6 core cpu's will be like lower level corvettes.

But thats just my impression, not the ferrari pricetag.
Posted on Reply
#21
Pestilence
cadaveca said:
Sure, because you never posted in this thread before...:shadedshu
Just because i post doesn't mean i read every post. :cool:
Posted on Reply
#22
cadaveca
My name is Dave
But it says right in the article that it's FUD, and you still posted. No offense man, but really? Maybe I'm taking this a bit too seriously, but man....

Forum Guidelines:
Behavior that is inappropriate/should be reported:


Posting "FUD" (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt), especially if the poster is trying to pass it off as legitimate news.
Posted on Reply
#23
YautjaLord
In order to somehow settle down (even though i admit i don't have the rights to tell you what to think/do true, merely giving you opinion) the thing that's going in here (Pestilence vs rest of TPU members/staff, lol jk) here's what i can say: following apps have to be tested on FX-8xxx/6xxx/etc - Crysis 1 & 2, 3DMarkVantage/11, all CPU apps suite TPU uses while compared head-to-head with SB-E & numbers monitored; this will be the only legitimate indicator of Dozer's performance & this will only happen when those 8/6/4-cored Dozers will be released. The only thing left is to find out official (and not FUDed) info from AMD itself. What planned by AMD in August? If anyone of you knows you better tell, cause that will be legitimate too. Why August? Cause it's Q3 (Q4?) 2011 which is close enough to that rev. B2/C0 release date of CPUs judging by this thread. :) Just need to wait for end of this month/beginning of August official Dozer info. :toast: to all.
Posted on Reply
#24
radaja
Xtreme Refugee
this is on the AMD facebook page
Report: FX is on the Move. Stay tuned for the launch of "Operation Scorpius: The Legend of FX" comic book this Thursday! We're offering free wallpapers, the comic book of course and a chance to win an AMD FX 8-core desktop processor. You won't want to miss this!
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment