Thursday, July 14th 2011

FX-Series Processors Clock Speeds 'Revealed'

On several earlier articles like this one, we were versed with the model numbers and even possible prices of AMD's next-generation FX series desktop processors, but the clock speeds stayed under the wraps, that's until a table listing them out was leaked. AMD's FX-series consists of eight-core FX-81xx parts, six-core FX-61xx, and quad-core FX-41xx parts, probably harvested out of the Zambezi silicon by disabling modules (groups of two cores closely interconnected with some shared resources). Most, if not all, FX series chips have unlocked multipliers, making it a breeze to overclock them. All chips come in the AM3+ package, feature 8 MB of L3 cache, and 2 MB L2 cache per module.

Leading the pack is FX-8150, with a clock speed of 3.6 GHz, and TurboCore speed of 4.2 GHz, a 500 MHz boost. The next chip, FX-8120, has a boost of close to a GHz, it has a clock speed of 3.1 GHz, that goes all the way up to 4 GHz with TurboCore. This will be available in 125W and 95W TDP variants. Next up is the FX-8100, with 2.8 GHz clock speed, that goes up to 3.7 GHz, another 900 MHz boost. The scene shifts to 6-core chips, with FX-6120, no clock speed numbers were given out for this one. FX-6100, on the other hand, is clocked at 3.3 GHz, with 3.9 GHz Turbo. The FX-4100 is the only quad-core part with clock speeds given out by this source: 3.6 GHz, with a tiny 200 MHz boost to 3.8 GHz. You can see that there is no pattern in the turbo speed amounts specific to models, and hence we ask you to take these with a pinch of salt.

Source: DonanimHaber

412 Comments on FX-Series Processors Clock Speeds 'Revealed'

radaja
Xtreme Refugee
yea thats what i thought too?
Damn_Smooth
Pestilence said:
A comic book? Wtf Amd
I was more interested in winning an 8 core Fx.

Clearly our priorities are different.
Pestilence
Damn_Smooth said:
I was more interested in winning an 8 core Fx.

Clearly our priorities are different.
I never win anything so ill just buy it :laugh:
Damn_Smooth
Pestilence said:
I never win anything so ill just buy it :laugh:
Good luck with that. Let me know what store you bought it from because there are none available near me.
Pestilence
Damn_Smooth said:
Did I say today? No I meant when they're released in September
Thatguy
Pestilence said:
Did I say today? No I meant when they're released in September
they might just release anytime, hard to say.
Damn_Smooth
Pestilence said:
Did I say today? No I meant when they're released in September
That's a pretty defeatist attitude for you to have though. You should enter just like everybody here should because if one of us wins, we might have an early chance to tell the others about the performance of the real Bulldozer.
Pestilence
Damn_Smooth said:
I'll enter and if i win we'll have a TPU raffle and i'll donate it to the winner.
Damn_Smooth
Pestilence said:
That's really cool, but bench it first. I'm more interested in real performance than a free Bulldozer.
Pestilence
Damn_Smooth said:
Definitely would bench it against sandy bridge first and post the results.
YautjaLord
radaja said:
this is on the AMD facebook page

That was eh.... nice? Nah!!!!!!! WTF was that?! That's why i don't visit Facebook & now this stuff is like the last nail in it's coffin for me: not that i want to visit this POS site anymore (not dissing the social networks though, live & let live that's my general approach), but i'll also log out of it. Here, i said it. :laugh:

Jokes aside (though i'm dead serious bout erasing my Facebook profile) this is rather both intriguing & yet f***ed up: winning 8-core FX-series is nice, but comic? Seriously, WTF????!!!! Makes me suspicious bout company's plans? I think it does.
Wile E
Power User
cadaveca said:
Then it should be the job of those that sell them to make them more fun, rather than providing a distraction from the lack of enjoyment.

In my world, you fix problems at the source, not patch things over with bandaids.

Of course, there's always a place in the market for the Ferraris, but that doesn't mean that everyone needs to have a model like it all thier own. Fortunately, the market is large enough that exclusion of such product lines is not only feasible, the remaining segments are such that should not, and cannot, be ignored.

And the largest segment deserves the largest investment. Success comes through sacrifice, but you must never sacrifice too much(like Ben did). Buying a Ferrari, and then living in a cardboard box, is just silly.

So it remains to be seen..is AMD making some sort of sacrifice here? Seems like the time delay was a sacrifice in sales, to me. Are these clockspeeds enough, or did they sacrifice too much? Ferrari, or Camry? ;)
I'd do it.
cadaveca
My name is Dave
Wile E said:
I'd do it.
:laugh: Of course. Thanks for proving my point. ;)
Wile E
Power User
What point? I didn't see one made.
cadaveca
My name is Dave
Wile E said:
What point? I didn't see one made.
YOU weren't supposed to. :laugh:

:rockout:
Wile E
Power User
I don't get it. All I want to know is, where is my Ferrari?
YautjaLord
I am Carmageddon fan as well, not AvP only; so i'd like my Suppressor-type of CPU (if you remember what Carma's Suppressor is). If SB/IB is - say - Semi with nitro than i want the Dozer to be Suppressor with all APO installed: fast, heavy & butchering. Ferrari is good, but when you see something like APC speeding @ you, you know you have zero time to dodge it's slam; i'd like the Dozer to be like that. Forget bout sports car analogies, speeding APC is better in all aspects. :roll:
WarEagleAU
Bird of Prey
Wow $320 for the top end of the octo cores? Very nice price and prolly something Ill scoop up. I thought AMD was using High K Metal Gate technology not SOI anymore.
_JP_
Wile E said:
All I want to know is, where is my Ferrari?
At the dealer, waiting for you to go pick it up.
Oh wait...you were talking about the processor...well, then it's at Intel HQ...waiting for you to go pick it up. Pack some heat, they won't give it up easily.
radaja
Xtreme Refugee
From AMD's Comic,maybe a hidden release date?

and possible clockspeed?3600Mhz?

cadaveca
My name is Dave
Pestilence said:
November 19th?
December. ;)

Just in time for Christmas.

:nutkick:

:laugh:
Pestilence
cadaveca said:
December. ;)

Just in time for Christmas.

:nutkick:

:laugh:
Whoohoo..... sleigh bells ring... are you listening?

If its any later then october Amd should just fold up and say fuck it
erocker
Senior Moderator
It would be nice if some members here would just fold up and say f*** it in regards to posting useless posts in this thread.