Thursday, January 26th 2012

Next-Gen Xbox Features Blu-ray, Will Not Play Used Games

We've got a good news and a bad news. The good news first: Microsoft will finally embrace the capacious Blu-ray disc format as its media of choice with its next-generation Xbox console. A double-layer Blu-ray disc provides 50 GB of space, letting developers load higher-resolution elements (such as textures), and more importantly, load entire games into a single disc. The 8 GB DVD9 used with Xbox 360 is posing limitations with some titles, forcing publishers to ship games in multiple discs. The new console should also double up as a nice Blu-ray home-video player, complete with multi-channel lossless audio and 1080p playback.

Now on to the bad news: Remember the good old days when you could share your game cartridges and discs with your friends, or resell them? Those are about to be numbered, at least in the case of the Xbox platform. Microsoft is designing its next-generation Xbox console in a way that restricts people from playing "used" games. We would imagine Microsoft doing this by binding each purchased game's activation to a Xbox Live account à la Steam, Origin, and G4WL. This is terrible news to services such as GameStop, which deal in used games and consoles.Source: Kotaku

119 Comments on Next-Gen Xbox Features Blu-ray, Will Not Play Used Games

CrAsHnBuRnXp
eidairaman1 said:
This will put MS def in the hot seat and the sales of the console will be abysmal. this is just another + for PC users who dont use steam/EADM etc for getting games.

Ya Know the average joe which are the console players really dont care wuts underneath the hood, only if it is easy to hook up and turn on, besides console graphics are limited.
Which in turn hurts PC users because of all the console ports we get.
BumbleBee
think about all the people who only buy used games. how many of them will convert to piracy and hurt PC Gaming haha
1Kurgan1
The Knife in your Back
BumbleBee said:
Wii U was supposed to have 50GB Blu-ray according to pre-E3 rumors.

the only advantage the PS3 has is Blu-ray. Sony isn't going to give away something they bet everything on. Microsoft will make it's own proprietary format and copy protection like Nintendo.
I got to disagree, they would get paid for it. Xbox has been the most popular console (that isn't targeting casual gamers), and if that continues into the next generation, that could make for some good money, and also make an interesting situation with MS depending on Sony. If Sony declines and forces MS to come up with it's own media type, then the Xbox leads in sales again, all thats going to do is hurt Sony, and Bluray. Right now Bluray just doesn't have competition, and if they force M$ to give it some, that could be bad for them.
eidairaman1
The Exiled Airman
CrAsHnBuRnXp said:
Which in turn hurts PC users because of all the console ports we get.
Thats true- UT3 was the biggest example of Cliffy B being a Fuggin Sellout- You look at all the commands on PC and they are all console related.
BumbleBee
all publishers care about is having physical media on the shelf. all developers care about is the extra space.

if i'm Sony i'm charging Microsoft so much for that license they will be in a hole out of the gate.

if i'm Microsoft i'm creating my own proprietary format because Blu-ray sales have tanked and the license isn't worth it.
c12038
MIckeysoft DRM Xbox

If Mickeysoft think that XBOX DRM a way of making customers loyal say DOn't buy this utter crap...... What happens when you have completed a game and your stuck with it without being able to trade it in for another game MMMmm me thinks not.... Hahahahaha no way will i be buying a system that worthless
v12dock
$20 says they change their minds
FordGT90Concept
"I go fast!1!11!1!"
1Kurgan1 said:
Microsoft will just buy the drives from LG, Pioneer, or Samsung (they have licenses to produce Bluray hardware). Microsoft was on the board that developed AACS (the Bluray DRM).

If Sony sues Microsoft over it, Sony will start another format war which will cost them a fortune. They know that and won't fight it because of that.
freaksavior
To infinity ... and beyond!
I bought most of my games new, but there are a lot I would buy used. This is disappointing.
eidairaman1
The Exiled Airman
freaksavior said:
Second hand games cost less, course at those game places i always test to ensure it works...
OneCool
What is up with all these doosh bag companies trying to rule the consumers after buying their product.

I just dont understand the world any more :shadedshu

"If you buy our refrigerator your only aloud to put NEW food in it.If we catch you putting left overs in it ,your in serious trouble" :wtf:

Makes me want to just sell everything and start going to the arcade again. YAY 1987!!!!!!!!!!
DannibusX
I can't believe Microsoft would even try this.

Licensing Bluray from Sony, yes, they would have to if they want to move into the Xbox media center all entertainment area, but binding games to consoles/accounts? Man they'd have to be cheap for me to buy.

Essentially it's the same thing that Steam does, but Steam does it better so if this is true, I'll just spend the money I'd buy an Xbox with and build an HTPC. No biggie. Voting with the wallet is awesome.
Platibus
c12038 said:
Don't worry, in the future they'll only allow you to complete the game once, after that you'll have to pay a "small fee" to play it again LOL
1Kurgan1
The Knife in your Back
FordGT90Concept said:

I wasn't even talking about the drives, isn't there a fee for the discs as well?
FordGT90Concept
"I go fast!1!11!1!"
Not that I'm aware of. It's kind of like HDMI--they charge by the output port, not by the cable.

This is why graphics cards only had one HDMI port. EyeInfinity and the like skipped HDMI and went straight for DisplayPort which is far less expensive.

DannibusX said:
How do you know Steam does it better? I imagine it will be seamless and you won't know it is even there until you try to circumvent it. It won't stop 90%+ of people from buying the console. I expect Sony to include something similar in their next gen console. This is simply the way the game market is going. As I said previously, PC games were doing this years ago (first with serial numbers, then with online activation, now with online all the time). This is nothing new. It is just getting implemented on consoles. If not this round of consoles, it will definitely be on the next.
NC37
No used games plus 6670 graphics...

Yeah...sorry M$, you shot yourself in the foot twice already with the 720. I'm passing.
DannibusX
FordGT90Concept said:

How does Steam do it better.

For one, it's a service that I use, and I agreed to the limitation of resale of games. I.E. it doesn't exist.

There is no physical media for me to worry about. Likely Microsoft's implementation will still require you to have the media in the drive to play the game.

I'm part of the 10% of folks who really don't give too big of a crap about console gaming. Sure, I do play games on the Xbox, but I really don't need to buy one to enjoy gaming. I'll build an HTPC and play games on my TV with a 360 controller. It works pretty damn good.
Mussels
Moderprator
of course you can rent and second hand games... they call it 'piracy'

this will just kill the rental/second hand industry (leading to less sales in total) and encourage piracy far more. stupid move.
FordGT90Concept
"I go fast!1!11!1!"
DannibusX said:
You agree to that the instant you start Steam. The same goes for consoles when you turn them on. By using either product or service, you're entering their legal domain.

DannibusX said:
Maybe, maybe not. They might expand the service to be like Origin or Steamworks titles where you can buy on disk or download it--the keys work for both.

DannibusX said:
Microsoft's DRM, Steam's DRM, Sony's DRM, etc.? It doesn't match which you pick, they all got it. It's the reality DMCA has imposed on us all.

Mussels said:
Pretty much.
GoFigureItOut
How can they implement this into a gaming console? Are the disc embedded with a key or something? Microsoft will lose a lot of money on their new system. No one in their right mind would purchase the new fail box. Would this also effect used movies? I don't believe Microsoft will go through with it, they're not that dumb.
Delta6326
I doubt this is true, but what would you do if you have 2 people that share a console. say I get MW4(I will never do this in real life) I play online and then a friend comes along wants to play it and I don't want them to mess up my K/D normal he/she could just use their Xbox account, but know they can't.:banghead:
NC37
GoFigureItOut said:
No...M$ is very much that dumb. These are the same people who convince gamers to pay a subscription to play 360 games online...if they can get away with it, they will. But they are not dumb enough to turn a def ear to a large outcry.

Really, if enough fuss is raised, we'll see them backtrack on this plan.

I just wish it would have happened with the Vita's PSP emulation plan. Really, PSP owners should have boycotted that crap. Paying more money for digital versions of what they already own, just so BS.
asusstriker
Wow I remember just reading about the workers at the Microsoft Xbox factory going up on the roof about to commit suicide because of the poor wages and insane hours that their greedy corporation enslaves them to.

Now this greedy (slave labor) corporation wants to make more profits by forcing people to buy new every time they want a game :twitch:

Gaming and it's BS expensive download content and restrictions is only going to get worse, what ever happened to the good old PS2 days were the games actually came with everything you wanted.

Hmmm maybe it's time I give up gaming and pick up a healthy hobby like sports or something :rolleyes:

PS: I DARE Microsoft to pull this "No used games" off on us, lets see those sales slump!
Nihilus
Gamefly

For Xbox 3 I was not planning on buying any games, just doing the gamefly deal. Doesn't look good for that plan.
Aldouz
marcthpro said:
What if you can't rent a game for 7 Day for 6$ and tell if you like it or not ? just buy and hope you ain't getting a Failure like Duke nukem forever or Game that as no replay value

What made console Great is when ur done playing a game you owned for a long time you sell it for something of near same value but now they saying it ain't gonna happen
Yeah, Next-Gen XboX means No Game are actually for sale, they are for RENT for unlimited time as long as your XboX console still working...