Monday, August 27th 2012

AMD "Vishera" FX-Series CPU Specifications Confirmed

A leaked AMD document for retail partners spelled out specifications of the first three FX "Vishera" processors by AMD. The new CPUs incorporate AMD's "Piledriver" architecture, and much like the first-generation "Zambezi" chips, will launch as one each of eight-core, six-core, and four-core chips. The eight-core FX-8350 is confirmed to ship with 4.00 GHz nominal clock speed, with 4.20 GHz TurboCore speed. The six-core FX-6300 ships with 3.50 GHz nominal, and 4.10 GHz TurboCore speed. The quad-core FX-4320, on the other hand, ships with the same clock speeds as the FX-8350. In addition, the document confirmed clock speeds of several socket FM2 A-series APUs, such as the A10-5700 and the A8-5500.

Source: Expreview
Add your own comment

493 Comments on AMD "Vishera" FX-Series CPU Specifications Confirmed

#1
erocker
Super XP said:
In the past I believe it took AMD 2 years before they went from DDR to DDR2. Probably overall price played a role in that, and I believe it took AMD 1 year from DDR2 to DDR3.

What I meant to say is Intel supported DDR2 2 years before AMD did and 1 year DDR3 before AMD did :D
I think you quoted the wrong person. :confused:
Posted on Reply
#3
AvonX
erocker said:
I think you quoted the wrong person. :confused:
Maybe he is high. :roll:
Posted on Reply
#4
Super XP
AvonX said:
Maybe he is high. :roll:
I fixed my post, don't know what I was thinking lol, I got Intel confused with AMD :laugh:
Posted on Reply
#5
Vinska
theoneandonlymrk said:
which interestingly would be easily serviced just out of one binning of an APU, the (binned)ones where the GPU doesnt work and the cores clock well and even better minus the gpu heat, all would equal your enthusiast cpu of the future to me.
Isn't Intel already doing this? There are [either active or disabled] GPUs in every current Intel CPU, AFAIK.
(Of course, I might be mistaken.)
Posted on Reply
#6
theoneandonlymrk
Thats kind of my point Vinska, its allready being done and Amd will do it too, oh and though comercial intel cpu's are as you say, i doubt that xeons and the like have any gpu in them, what with the core count , use etc.
Posted on Reply
#7
nt300
Vinska said:
Isn't Intel already doing this? There are [either active or disabled] GPUs in every current Intel CPU, AFAIK.
(Of course, I might be mistaken.)
Yes they are doing just that and still they overclock very well. I can see AMD doing the same thing along the whole line of CPUs.
Posted on Reply
#8
Super XP
Good News, an internal source claims: (ATInsider) has posted on Fudzilla that the upcoming Piledriver is on average 15% to 20% faster than Bulldozer. He states it will be a combination of both minor tweaks/modifications and clock speeds. He states the clock rate is more effective than Bulldozer's such as if you OC it you will see a gain better performance gain, even with a mild 200MHz to 400MHz. Bulldozer.
I believe we did not see that much of a performance boost with OC'ing unless we aggressively OC'ed it. For me I took my Bulldozer with all 8-cores to 4.40 GHz with a mild bump in vCore. Now I am interested in Piledriver, who knows, if the price is right, I may bite into it.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2204765/amd-vishera-chip-running-at-5ghz-is-spotted
Posted on Reply
#9
eidairaman1
Super XP said:
Good News, an internal source claims: (ATInsider) has posted on Fudzilla that the upcoming Piledriver is on average 15% to 20% faster than Bulldozer. He states it will be a combination of both minor tweaks/modifications and clock speeds. He states the clock rate is more effective than Bulldozer's such as if you OC it you will see a gain better performance gain, even with a mild 200MHz to 400MHz. Bulldozer.
I believe we did not see that much of a performance boost with OC'ing unless we aggressively OC'ed it. For me I took my Bulldozer with all 8-cores to 4.40 GHz with a mild bump in vCore. Now I am interested in Piledriver, who knows, if the price is right, I may bite into it.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2204765/amd-vishera-chip-running-at-5ghz-is-spotted
internal source from who?
Posted on Reply
#10
Super XP
eidairaman1 said:
internal source from who?
I don't know his name is ATInsider, you know insider :confused:
But the article states the obvious anyway.
Posted on Reply
#11
eidairaman1
Super XP said:
I don't know his name is ATInsider, you know insider :confused:
But the article states the obvious anyway.
oh ok, well this to me is still speculation.

Grain of Salt for me till reviewers are given the Green to pull the NDA off.

CPUs have to be fast in todays apps as well as tomorrows.
Posted on Reply
#12
Super XP
eidairaman1 said:
oh ok, well this to me is still speculation.

Grain of Salt for me till reviewers are given the Green to pull the NDA off.

CPUs have to be fast in todays apps as well as tomorrows.
Yes a big grain of salt. I can't wait for some reviews. :D

Wow, you are still on the AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ very nice, and I am sure it's been serving you very well. Ahh, the good old Athlon XP days.
Posted on Reply
#13
eidairaman1
Super XP said:
Yes a big grain of salt. I can't wait for some reviews. :D

Wow, you are still on the AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ very nice, and I am sure it's been serving you very well. Ahh, the good old Athlon XP days.
Ya true. When things are golden for me ill build something considerably faster. X1950 Pro is held back by the XP machine.
Posted on Reply
#14
Super XP
eidairaman1 said:
Ya true. When things are golden for me ill build something considerably faster. X1950 Pro is held back by the XP machine.
WOW, :laugh: you still have an original ATI Radeon, very nice indead, what a classic :toast:

Who knows, perhaps Steamroller will be your next upgrade :D DDR3 Memory is dirt cheap, you can easily get 16GB to 32GB and even 64GB Dual-Channel, but DDR4 being more expensive when released I believe should offer much more benefits. It all depends on whether Excavator and/or Steamroller will be DDR4 with new socket or DDR3 with the same AM3+. You obviously don't mind waiting ;)
Posted on Reply
#15
eidairaman1
Super XP said:
WOW, :laugh: you still have an original ATI Radeon, very nice indead, what a classic :toast:

Who knows, perhaps Steamroller will be your next upgrade :D DDR3 Memory is dirt cheap, you can easily get 16GB to 32GB and even 64GB Dual-Channel, but DDR4 being more expensive when released I believe should offer much more benefits. It all depends on whether Excavator and/or Steamroller will be DDR4 with new socket or DDR3 with the same AM3+. You obviously don't mind waiting ;)
i honestly dont care because I built my Bros AM3+ machine with 970 Extreme 4 AsRock and a 6770 (Bulldozer-Which proved to be a sidegrade at best)- I put in a X2 555 BE for that machine and I unlocked it with stock cooling (Runs quiet actually less room temp reaches 80+), 8 GB Ram and its running as fast as it did a year ago but i finally drilled in his head to keep it updated and clean software and hardware wise
Posted on Reply
#16
Super XP
eidairaman1 said:
i honestly dont care because I built my Bros AM3+ machine with 970 Extreme 4 AsRock and a 6770 (Bulldozer-Which proved to be a sidegrade at best)- I put in a X2 555 BE for that machine and I unlocked it with stock cooling (Runs quiet actually less room temp reaches 80+), 8 GB Ram and its running as fast as it did a year ago but i finally drilled in his head to keep it updated and clean software and hardware wise
Ah, good stuff and yes you have to keep the PC nice and clean. Dust kills PC components. Anyhow, I am curious as to how Piledriver is going to stack up to it's big brother Bulldozer. The Piledriver cores within Trinity are tuned down versions, so I would expect the Desktop to perform better at 125w. :D
Posted on Reply
#17
Steevo
Super XP said:
Ah, good stuff and yes you have to keep the PC nice and clean. Dust kills PC components. Anyhow, I am curious as to how Piledriver is going to stack up to it's big brother Bulldozer. The Piledriver cores within Trinity are tuned down versions, so I would expect the Desktop to perform better at 125w. :D
Turned down versions? This isn't a car.

It may seem like they can get more, but they are bound by the limitations of the die size, and the existing traces in the die.
Posted on Reply
#18
Super XP
Steevo said:
Turned down versions? This isn't a car.

It may seem like they can get more, but they are bound by the limitations of the die size, and the existing traces in the die.
Yes, that is what I meant. I believe AvonX said you can't really push an APU's CPU too much due to those limitations.
Good Night Guys, it's close to midnight here,

Oh and here is that quote from that so called Insider.
Piledriver 15% to 20% Boost in IPC

This boost is based a combination of higher clock speed and internal core modifications.
The major different between Piledriver cores over Bulldozer is every single hike in clock rate will gain you more effective performance versus the Bulldozer. For instance, 200MHz Piledriver would approximately the same speed effect to an 800MHz hike via Bulldozer. This has to do with tweaking the dispatch, tightening the L2 timings, FPU modifications along with be slightly better branch prediction in terms of faster recovery of missed predictions.

posted by : ATInsider, 14 September 2012

The Inquirer (http://s.tt/1n773)
Posted on Reply
#19
AvonX
Super XP said:
I don't know his name is ATInsider, you know insider :confused:
But the article states the obvious anyway.
Don't understand why you place high hopes on vishera.
There is nothing really to see from vishera, generally it will be the same as bulldozer.
You already have an fx-8120 and its not worth getting a vishera cpu.
You should wait for steamroller and hope things will be better.
I personally believe that the real improvement will be "excavator" and that is the one that they are really focusing on and there will be major changes.
As i told you before, it needs a complete redesign in order for this architecture to get fixed.
Posted on Reply
#20
AvonX
The bad news is that the fx-8350 is more power hungry than the fx-8150.
If this is true, i think they will be officially out of the dedicated desktop CPU's market.
Unless they have cancelled it and they are waiting to release steamroller.
Posted on Reply
#21
Vinska
AvonX said:
The bad news is that the fx-8350 is more power hungry than the fx-8150.
Sauce please!
Posted on Reply
#23
Goodman
AvonX said:
http://www.obr-hardware.com/2012/09/i-was-right-fx-8350-or-c0-is-piledriver.html
They are now oc higher then 9Ghz...:eek:

Anyhow real or not (all we see about it on the internet) i have to agree with AvonX Piledriver/Vishera won't be much improvement over Bulldozer I'll say about 10-15% max & probably not even 5% in some area's & all that because of higher clock speed so in another word probably slower then current Bulldozer at same clock speed...

I don't rally care about it much anymore , anyways as i hardly play games since the past 5 years or so & even less since i got back into slot cars racing , now all i need is a cheap PC to surf the net & watch Movies/TV-Series
Posted on Reply
#25
AvonX
Vinska said:
Too bad he forgot to 'shop "Vishera" in place of "Zambezi" for the alleged FX-8350 screenshot...
:laugh:

The FX-8350 is a "Zambezi" "Tweaked" When its finally released, maybe it will be listed in CPU-Z as "Vishera" but i doubt it.
Why should they lie about it? Its a "Zambezi" and that just shows that AMD does not care about dedicated desktop performance CPU's.
The only thing that we could hope for, is for this to be the FX-8170 which i highly doubt. LOL
Or maybe it really is the FX-8170 and they cancelled everything else for dedicated desktop cpus and they are just going to release it as "FX-8350".

That validation was done at the original CPU-Z website.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2508909
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment