Thursday, July 4th 2013

DirectX 11.2 Exclusive to Windows 8.1 and Xbox One

Our recent editorial on adoption of Windows 8.1 by PC enthusiasts concluded saying "...and Microsoft isn't stopping with its innovations that will get increasingly out of reach for Windows 7 users." It looks like the first of such innovations is DirectX 11.2. Microsoft revealed that the latest version of its multimedia API will require Windows 8.1 on the PC, and comes built into its next-generation Xbox One console. With this, Microsoft established that you will need Windows 8.1 or later, to access future versions of DirectX.

Microsoft has often used the tactic of limiting DirectX versions to certain versions of Windows, often citing driver-model changes, to force PC enthusiasts to either upgrade, or lag behind in PC technology, and in the past it worked. Windows XP capped out at DirectX 9.0c, forcing gamers to upgrade to Windows Vista, to experience cutting-edge games of the time, such as "Crysis," with new visual effects that DirectX 10 brought to the scene. DirectX 11.0 had the unique distinction of spanning across Windows Vista and Windows 7. DirectX 11.1 was exclusive to Windows 8 and above, as it required WDDM 1.2 (Windows display driver model). The Direct3D component of the API didn't bring anything substantial to the scene. With Windows 8.1, Microsoft is introducing DirectX 11.2, it requires WDDM 1.3, which the operating system introduces. Since Windows 8.1 will be offered as a free upgrade to current Windows 8 users, it's effectively the Windows 7 user-base, that's being asked to take a hike.

DirectX 11.2 introduces a few new Direct3D features that could matter to games. The "D3D tiled resources" feature is analogous to OpenGL MegaTexture, implemented on id Software's "Rage." The feature offers a better alternative to the current model of streaming textures as a 3D scene is being rendered; by letting developers use larger textures that are fewer in number. Portions of these giant monolithic textures would be accessed by an application, as they become relevant to the scene being rendered. The complete texture needn't be loaded to the memory. In essence, mega-textures heralds a sort of virtual memory system to GPUs, and shifts the focus from increasingly larger video memory to faster memory.

With Windows 7 user-base being cut out from DirectX 11.2, game developers may think twice before spending time to implement D3D tiled resources, but there's also Xbox One to consider. DirectX 11.2 is at the heart of the console, and Microsoft could recommend developers to take advantage of tiled resources, to optimally use the console's limited hardware resources. That could hasten the adoption of DirectX 11.2 by developers, on the PC front.

Among the features DirectX 11.2 introduces are:
  • HLSL shader linking
  • Inbox HLSL compiler
  • GPU overlay support
  • DirectX tiled resources
  • Direct3D low-latency presentation API
  • DXGI Trim API and map default buffer
  • Frame buffer scaling
  • Multithreading with SurfaceImageSource
  • Interactive Microsoft DirectX composition of XAML visual elements
  • Direct2D batching with SurfaceImageSource
Sources: Microsoft, NextPowerUp
Add your own comment

192 Comments on DirectX 11.2 Exclusive to Windows 8.1 and Xbox One

#1
TheMailMan78
Big Member
Mussels said:
i own it. my brother owns it. many of my friends own it (the $15 upgrade)


none of us use it, because the UI is asshat backwards. i got paid to fix a win 8 users printer problems, and windows kept taking me to the metro 'devices' app where printers have NO OPTIONS AT ALL. i had to load the printer settings through fracking IE!


the OS is decent, but metro totally fecks it over.
I've installed a few printers using windows 8. I have no idea even what you are talking about honestly. Sounds like pilot error to me.

Also the UI is different. Not backwards. Take some time to learn it. I use it everyday in a production setting. Works AWESOME once you realize how to work it.
Posted on Reply
#2
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
Mussels said:
so you're saying to use the OS, all new users must memorise keyboard shortcuts to reach them, and the menu labelled 'devices and printers' is what, just to troll people?
But we're not talking about "all new users," we're talking about PC enthusiasts like you and me. "All new users" can stick to Windows XP.
Posted on Reply
#3
naoan
ms stockholders should be really really worried now, or they could keep trolling potential customers on the interwebz, hoping that they will see the "error of their way" and proceed to install the fisher price OS on their pc. :rolleyes:
Posted on Reply
#4
Frick
Fishfaced Nincompoop
btarunr said:
"All new users" can stick to Windows XP.
How about no?

And shouldn't we have a Windows 8 vs the World Club by now so we don't have to contaminate the rest of the forums with that discussion?
Posted on Reply
#5
Frick
Fishfaced Nincompoop
naoan said:
ms stockholders should be really really worried now, or they could keep trolling potential customers on the interwebz, hoping that they will see the "error of their way" and proceed to install the fisher price OS on their pc. :rolleyes:
I bet you said exactly the same thing when Windows XP came out. And Vista. And Windows 95, and 3.whatever.
Posted on Reply
#6
newtekie1
Semi-Retired Folder
Mussels said:
so you're saying to use the OS, all new users must memorise keyboard shortcuts to reach them, and the menu labelled 'devices and printers' is what, just to troll people?
Start/Metro Screen -> Control Panel -> Devices and Printers

Was that so hard?
Posted on Reply
#7
Mussels
Moderprator
TheMailMan78 said:
I've installed a few printers using windows 8. I have no idea even what you are talking about honestly. Sounds like pilot error to me.

Also the UI is different. Not backwards. Take some time to learn it. I use it everyday in a production setting. Works AWESOME once you realize how to work it.
use the doodad on the right of the screen to find 'devices', and try right clicking on the printer to get to even a single setting. there isnt any. you can get to it through any program thats printing, or control panel - but the stock 'devices' menu is where new users go (and some win 7 users, since its devices and printers menu actually worked)
Posted on Reply
#8
TRWOV
The devices screen is for adding or deleting devices, not configure them.
Posted on Reply
#9
Mussels
Moderprator
TRWOV said:
The devices screen is for adding or deleting devices, not configure them.
and that is not written or mentioned anywhere. this end user (a 45 year old woman) found it via the metro interface, it says devices, it has her printer listed... and yet it cant do anything.


why the hell would adding a device and setting it up be split into two different areas? please explain that one, fanboys.


this whole dick swinging argument of 'well *I* made it work so i'm just smarter than you' is so fucking immature, and really just helps MS cover up the fact that they slapped a shitty unintuitive UI over the top of an existing one, and its fragmented in stupid ways.
Posted on Reply
#10
naoan
Frick said:
I bet you said exactly the same thing when Windows XP came out. And Vista. And Windows 95, and 3.whatever.
No, I even use and like Vista SP1, what do I win?
Posted on Reply
#11
BiggieShady
Mussels said:
this whole dick swinging argument of 'well *I* made it work so i'm just smarter than you' is so fucking immature, and really just helps MS cover up the fact that they slapped a shitty unintuitive UI over the top of an existing one, and its fragmented in stupid ways.
LOL, it's funny because it's true :laugh: studies have shown that immature people like windows 8 more
Posted on Reply
#12
MxPhenom 216
Corsair Fanboy
BiggieShady said:
LOL, it's funny because it's true :laugh: studies have shown that immature people like windows 8 more
where's the bull shit source for that?
Posted on Reply
#13
BiggieShady
MxPhenom 216 said:
where's the bull shit source for that?
no source, no study, just bull shit
Posted on Reply
#14
hellrazor
MxPhenom 216 said:
What I truly don't understand is why people don't use windows 8, and then if they hate the UI so much, use Start8 or Classic Shell? That way you get all the performance enhancements, while staying with your beloved Windows 7 UI. :laugh:
Why would I buy an OS if I'm just going to turn it into the OS that I already have? Especially when the only thing I really do with it anymore is play Stronghold Kingdoms?
Posted on Reply
#15
phanbuey
TheMailMan78 said:
I've installed a few printers using windows 8. I have no idea even what you are talking about honestly. Sounds like pilot error to me.

Also the UI is different. Not backwards. Take some time to learn it. I use it everyday in a production setting. Works AWESOME once you realize how to work it.
oh YEAH its really great.

not. It sucks alot and i know how to work it. I even type the program that I want into it and it finds it... and you know what? Its STILL A SHITTY INTERFACE.

Don't lie to us... you hate it.. you just like trolling the forum a bit here and there... and I bet when you do it on your laptop it's a bit like "trolololo * BAM WEATHER APP COMBO BREAKER* and then you go **damn windows 8**... 'bessst OS evarrrr... Trolrolrolllolrolol"
Posted on Reply
#16
Prima.Vera
MxPhenom 216 said:
Maybe they are not noticeable to you, but Windows 8 Pro on my file server with significantly weaker hardware then my main rig is noticeable faster and more responsive then my main gaming rig with 7 on it.
I also have it on my 6 years old laptop, and is faster, I agree, but damn is fugly like hell and useless without the 3rd party programs installed.
Posted on Reply
#17
Frick
Fishfaced Nincompoop
I'm starting to think Microsofts goal is to make humanity dumber, and meaner. If so, they are succeding. It's nice to see that I'm not the one getting upset though.
Posted on Reply
#18
TheMailMan78
Big Member
Mussels said:
and that is not written or mentioned anywhere. this end user (a 45 year old woman) found it via the metro interface, it says devices, it has her printer listed... and yet it cant do anything.


why the hell would adding a device and setting it up be split into two different areas? please explain that one, fanboys.


this whole dick swinging argument of 'well *I* made it work so i'm just smarter than you' is so fucking immature, and really just helps MS cover up the fact that they slapped a shitty unintuitive UI over the top of an existing one, and its fragmented in stupid ways.
My old man is 67 years old and he figured it out and he's no Bill Gates.
Posted on Reply
#19
AsRock
TPU addict
TRWOV said:
windows + r > "control printers" > enter has worked since XP

windows + x > p is the new one. Less typing. Or windows + i > Control Panel > Devices and printers. Or windows + c > Configuration > Control Panel > Devices and printers.


And yes, power users should familiarize with system shorcuts IMO.
But you had the option to or not , it's some of these options we the people enjoyed using.

TheMailMan78 said:
My old man is 67 years old and he figured it out and he's no Bill Gates.
Not everyone's the same.. My next door neighbor hates every thing after XP as that much has been changed.

Some people don't want or feel the need that they have to relearn how to use a OS and even more so it would not of hurt of having both options.. The new way and the old way.
Posted on Reply
#20
theoneandonlymrk
TheMailMan78 said:
My old man is 67 years old and he figured it out and he's no Bill Gates.
Can you ask your old man if he's figured out what keeps breaking the ui and apps because the third time they broke for me (requireing a day 1 refresh ) I pulled that shit off and put 7 back on trololalolaloolalay right back at ya :p
Posted on Reply
#21
TheMailMan78
Big Member
theoneandonlymrk said:
Can you ask your old man if he's figured out what keeps breaking the ui and apps because the third time they broke for me (requireing a day 1 refresh ) I pulled that shit off and put 7 back on trololalolaloolalay right back at ya :p
Been using it since day one. Never had that happen and I dunno why you keep calling me a troll. I'm just stating facts. As a matter of fact MS stock has been on the rise since Windows 8 has come out. Apparently (as I said before) the people on TPU are a dying market. All of your crying and complaining isn't going to stop the inevitable change of the PC market. Embrace Windows 8, learn it because the GUI isn't going anywhere.

Mussels said:
and that is not written or mentioned anywhere. this end user (a 45 year old woman) found it via the metro interface, it says devices, it has her printer listed... and yet it cant do anything.


why the hell would adding a device and setting it up be split into two different areas? please explain that one, fanboys.


this whole dick swinging argument of 'well *I* made it work so i'm just smarter than you' is so fucking immature, and really just helps MS cover up the fact that they slapped a shitty unintuitive UI over the top of an existing one, and its fragmented in stupid ways.
If all else fails just read the directions.
Posted on Reply
#22
brandonwh64
Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
If you can use windows 7 then you can use windows 8. I have mine setup to show desktop always and I have start8 (but there are free ones). The only time I ever interface with metro is by mistake but its a simple click on the desktop pane to get me back. I did have issues with wireless drivers when I first bought WIN8 but now I have upgraded my whole WLAN and it works as it should.
Posted on Reply
#23
Mussels
Moderprator
TheMailMan78 said:


If all else fails just read the directions.
now i know you're trolling. a man reading directions?
Posted on Reply
#24
brandonwh64
Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
Mussels said:
now i know you're trolling. a man reading directions?
I have to agree with this statement! If a man cannot fix something with the directions tossed aside and a beer then they need to put on a dress and get a manicure.
Posted on Reply
#25
MxPhenom 216
Corsair Fanboy
phanbuey said:
oh YEAH its really great.

not. It sucks alot and i know how to work it. I even type the program that I want into it and it finds it... and you know what? Its STILL A SHITTY INTERFACE.

Don't lie to us... you hate it.. you just like trolling the forum a bit here and there... and I bet when you do it on your laptop it's a bit like "trolololo * BAM WEATHER APP COMBO BREAKER* and then you go **damn windows 8**... 'bessst OS evarrrr... Trolrolrolllolrolol"
Are you 12?
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment