Friday, September 27th 2013

Radeon R9 290X Could Strike the $599.99 Price-point

AMD's next-generation flagship graphics card, the Radeon R9 290X, could strike a US $599.99 (or 499.99€, £399.99 before taxes) price-point, turning up the heat on the more expensive offerings by NVIDIA - GeForce GTX 780 and GTX TITAN. The card should be available from mid-October. Based on the new 28 nm "Hawaii" silicon, the card is expected to feature 2,816 GCN stream processors, spread across 44 SIMDs (11 computing units). Other specifications include 172 TMUs, 44 ROPs, and a 512-bit wide GDDR5 memory interface, holding 4 GB of memory, which likely achieves its >300 GB/s memory bandwidth with a 5.00 GHz memory clock. The company is expected to launch 6 GB variants of the card a little later.

Source: Softpedia
Add your own comment

95 Comments on Radeon R9 290X Could Strike the $599.99 Price-point

#1
the54thvoid
ensabrenoir said:
just read this :
http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-r9-290x-battlefield-4-edition-8000-specs-pre-order_125224

makes me believe there will be a general purpose 290 and a limited edition titian killer with price to match....
From that article:
This means that you’ll have to put down a deposit without knowing the price or clock speeds of the card that you will be purchasing
Let me see, buy a card with no official specification - stupid. Buy a card with no official pricing - stupid.

What the hell are they playing at? I'm sure some people will blindly buy but really? - it's not very intelligent to buy any tech without first having it peer reviewed.
Posted on Reply
#2
Crap Daddy
We still don't know nothing about the performance. Not that we know something definitely about the price. Apart from the "David Copperfield" mantle trick with BF4 (come December), the card appears to be slightly faster than the 780, five months late to the party and fifty bucks cheaper. This still means $600 which is a hell of a lot of money to spend just to play games.
Posted on Reply
#3
NeoXF
The most widely rumoured 512bit @ 5000MHz (320GB/s) makes no sense... why... isn't it 384bit @ 7000MHz (336GB/s) much cheaper... I mean ffs, nVidia has GDDR5s that can clock that high on their middle-of-the-road high end card GTX 770...

I'd like to see Samsung's 7.2GHz GDDR5 chips on it...


Also, GDDR6 on PI, pl0x AMD...
Posted on Reply
#4
TheHunter
^
Because it was a ES gpu and at conservative speeds, also so it maintains 260W TDP.

Those 1200mhz will OC to 1500mhz easy, presto over 400gb/s.




And they can always do a 8GB variant with that 512bit bus..
Posted on Reply
#5
chodaboy19
This is great news! It will definitely bring down the price of Titan and 780. I have been waiting for the 780 to drop in price to $399. :D
Posted on Reply
#6
theoneandonlymrk
NeoXF said:
The most widely rumoured 512bit @ 5000MHz (320GB/s) makes no sense... why... isn't it 384bit @ 7000MHz (336GB/s) much cheaper... I mean ffs, nVidia has GDDR5s that can clock that high on their middle-of-the-road high end card GTX 770...

I'd like to see Samsung's 7.2GHz GDDR5 chips on it...


Also, GDDR6 on PI, pl0x AMD...
except those same sammy's are now premium stock(damn fire bs) so atm a wider bus with lower cost memory might be wise, who knows eh:D
Posted on Reply
#7
MxPhenom 216
Corsair Fanboy
Should drop Nvidias prices if this is the case.
Posted on Reply
#8
shovenose
I am not an AMD fan but maybe the R9 290X would be a good upgrade from my GTX670 2GB.
Posted on Reply
#9
Easy Rhino
Linux Advocate
by the time this makes it to market nvidia will have dropped its price on the titan and 780 and have a new more powerful card out that is only SLIGHTLY more expensive. AMD is just way too behind.
Posted on Reply
#10
MxPhenom 216
Corsair Fanboy
Easy Rhino said:
by the time this makes it to market nvidia will have dropped its price on the titan and 780 and have a new more powerful card out that is only SLIGHTLY more expensive. AMD is just way too behind.
I dont think so. Nvidias next cards will be Maxwell next year.
Posted on Reply
#11
Casecutter
Crap Daddy said:
We still don't know nothing about the performance. Not that we know something definitely about the price. Apart from the "David Copperfield" mantle trick with BF4 (come December), the card appears to be slightly faster than the 780, five months late to the party and fifty bucks cheaper. This still means $600 which is a hell of a lot of money to spend just to play games.
I'm thinking like you fifty bucks less GTX780 isn’t justifiable, even while being faster the GTX780 or to spar with Titan... $600 is now imaginably uglier than the original 7970 was at $550. If the $600 price is for a "BF4 Special Edition Box Set" I could see that, but reference cards need to MSRP for $550.

When Matt Skynner said, "I can't reveal a pricepoint but we're looking at more traditional enthusiast GPU pricepoints. … So this next-generation line is targeting more of the enthusiast market versus the ultra-enthusiast one."

$600 MSRP, while then higher for OEM customs is not holding true to his statement(s). And I will chastise AMD for it every chance I have until they come to their senses. Nvidia might do it and get away with it, but that doesn't make AMD vindicated to follow. While making what Matt Skynner said a crock!
Posted on Reply
#12
Easy Rhino
Linux Advocate
MxPhenom 216 said:
I dont think so. Nvidias next cards will be Maxwell next year.
right, like they have never released a card early to beat out competition before...
Posted on Reply
#13
EpicShweetness
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)


:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Posted on Reply
#14
MxPhenom 216
Corsair Fanboy
Easy Rhino said:
right, like they have never released a card early to beat out competition before...
right, like 20nm is ready yet, which is what Maxwell is suppose to be on.

Only thing I think Nvidia has up their sleeves is a fully fledged GK110 chip called Titan Ultra or whatever name they can think of. Count on the fact it wont be 785.
Posted on Reply
#15
Crap Daddy
Given how this looks like I highly doubt we'll see a price drop on the 780. Remember there's also Batman bundled with all cards. As for a reaction maybe prepare for another price shock, a dual GK110.
Posted on Reply
#16
xvi
..and I could get off the couch and do laundry.

..but I ain't.
Posted on Reply
#17
the54thvoid
MxPhenom 216 said:
right, like 20nm is ready yet, which is what Maxwell is suppose to be on.

Only thing I think Nvidia has up their sleeves is a fully fledged GK110 chip called Titan Ultra or whatever name they can think of. Count on the fact it wont be 785.
Everyone's missing a trick here. GTX Titan with nothing more than a bios refresh - TDP of 300watts, unlockable voltage to 1.21volts (more if the base hardware spec is within tolerances) and better cooling, a la ACX from EVGA.

Titan has a lot of leg room. Alternatively, I said before, a GTX 780 with it's standard 3GB, the same cores as a Titan with mentioned bios revisions. Let the AIB's throw in custom components (VRM,s etc) and you have a GTX 785 or allow the AIB's to customise the Titan base product and Nvidia remove the DP compute to keep the K20x crowd happy.

Yes, Nvidia can easily up Titan's performance by 10-15% from Bios alone. Let partners play with hardware components and it's up by 15-25%. (Look at Radrok and Khemist's Unigine Valley scores, about 110-115 fps ave on 1080 4xAA Ultra quality).
Posted on Reply
#18
MxPhenom 216
Corsair Fanboy
Dropping prices on the 780 and Titan, and releasing a Titan Ultra would be the better route for Nvidia IMO.

More or less only because I want to see the 780 price drop so I can get another :)
Posted on Reply
#19
arbiter
Noticed one thing missing on this card, No crossfire connection?
Posted on Reply
#20
EarthDog
the54thvoid said:
Everyone's missing a trick here. GTX Titan with nothing more than a bios refresh - TDP of 300watts, unlockable voltage to 1.21volts (more if the base hardware spec is within tolerances) and better cooling, a la ACX from EVGA.

Titan has a lot of leg room. Alternatively, I said before, a GTX 780 with it's standard 3GB, the same cores as a Titan with mentioned bios revisions. Let the AIB's throw in custom components (VRM,s etc) and you have a GTX 785 or allow the AIB's to customise the Titan base product and Nvidia remove the DP compute to keep the K20x crowd happy.

Yes, Nvidia can easily up Titan's performance by 10-15% from Bios alone. Let partners play with hardware components and it's up by 15-25%. (Look at Radrok and Khemist's Unigine Valley scores, about 110-115 fps ave on 1080 4xAA Ultra quality).
The Titan can barely survive on its own VRMs at stock none the less trying to suck out 10-15% more performance out of it on air for the masses. If I was NVIDIA or a board partner, I wouldn't release a Titan with much more than it has already for fear of inordinately high RMA rates potentially dramatically cutting into profits.

arbiter said:
Noticed one thing missing on this card, No crossfire connection?
It is handled through the PCIe interface...
Posted on Reply
#21
arbiter
EarthDog said:
It is handled through the PCIe interface...
Sounds like a performance killer to me.
Posted on Reply
#22
EarthDog
Quite the opposite for PCIe3... there is more bandwidth available there than there was/is through the SLI/CFx connections. ;)

Now, PCIe2... that may be another story. But I surely hope that, if it works, nobody is silly enough to buy a $600 Titan matching beast and slap that bad boy on a PCIe2 board. ;)
Posted on Reply
#23
haswrong
NeoXF said:
The most widely rumoured 512bit @ 5000MHz (320GB/s) makes no sense... why... isn't it 384bit @ 7000MHz (336GB/s) much cheaper... I mean ffs, nVidia has GDDR5s that can clock that high on their middle-of-the-road high end card GTX 770...

I'd like to see Samsung's 7.2GHz GDDR5 chips on it...


Also, GDDR6 on PI, pl0x AMD...
its quite mind boggling. i asked myself the same question. amd said they were unable to clock the bus at 6ghz stable.. is that a problem to hire an engineeer who can design a stable bus? i dont care if its super wide or just standard wide, but if nvidia can make their own stable, amd shouldnt lag behind as they are with everything else. lets call tron to make a little inspection and report on the amd created environment for bits, bytes, and little helpless shaders.
Posted on Reply
#24
erocker
Senior Moderator
arbiter said:
Sounds like a performance killer to me.
For a few hundred Megabytes of bandwidth? Nah.
Posted on Reply
#25
HumanSmoke
EarthDog said:
The Titan can barely survive on its own VRMs at stock none the less trying to suck out 10-15% more performance out of it on air for the masses. If I was NVIDIA or a board partner, I wouldn't release a Titan with much more than it has already for fear of inordinately high RMA rates potentially dramatically cutting into profits.
The other alternative is to re-release the Titan with the two missing power phases as some vendors have done with the reference PCB for their own GTX 780's.


Reducing the VRAM from 6GB to 3GB, and neutering the FP64 capability could serve to provide a differentiator between the two models.

There are a lot of permutations possible. Likely depends on AMD's final pricing of the 290X and 290, how long it would take to put into action, and whether Nvidia see the effort viable versus the lifespan of the cards and sales potential. Allowing AIB's to raise voltage limits on cards built to handle the increased power (the 8+2, 12+2, 16+2 configs) helps Nvidia and AIB's but there still needs to be a reference card if Nvidia want widespread and continuing site review benchmark PR
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment