Monday, September 4th 2017

Philips Announces the 328P8K 8K UHD Monitor With HDR 400

Philips is now the second company to announce a mass-market 8K monitor with the 328P8K. It boasts of a 31.5" IPS panel with a mind-boggling 7680 x 4320 resolution, and delivers on the professional space with 100% AdobeRGB/SRGB color space support. Since availability of these panels is still scarce, this is likely the same panel that Dell is using on their own 8K UltraSharp UP3218K monitor.

Philips is boasting of something they are calling HDR 400 support in this monitor, due to its brightness being set at 400 nits. This would be enough for AMD's baseline luminance requirements for FreeSync 2 HDR, but stands a far cry behind the HDR10 standard with its 1,000 nit peak brightness target (not to speak about Dolby Vision's 4,000 peak brightness target). Contrast ratio should stand at 1300:1, with a 60 Hz refresh ratio. Connectors-wise, the new Philips 328P8K 8K UHD Monitor boasts of 2x DisplayPort 1.3 (needed for display of the resolution, and in a bid to avoid using DP 1.4 with Display Stream Compression 1.2 and ensure a flawless and accurate image quality) and features a USB hub with USB type-A and type-C ports. Expect this panel to come in at a pretty penny, most likely in the same ballpark as Dell's offering, which now costs less than $4,000. Expect Philips' take on 8K to be available for purchase around Q1 2018.

Source: AnandTech
Add your own comment

31 Comments on Philips Announces the 328P8K 8K UHD Monitor With HDR 400

#1
RejZoR
Just stay away from anything "HDR". Because they clearly have no clue what to use and what to make as a standard. If you plan on going with such screens, go with them for other reasons. HDR buzzword on all ends and yet you can't really use it properly anywhere. I've had a similar experience when I went with 4K LCD TV when they came out. I still have it and has great image, but it was just released in 4K before H.265 became a thing which means I can't actually play any 4K movie because they're pretty much all in H.265 today. It only decodes H.264 via USB thumbdrive/USB HDD... It's quite similar with HDR now. It'll be interesting though when they finally decide what's gonna be a standard used by everyone.
Posted on Reply
#2
Dimi
RejZoR said:
I've had a similar experience when I went with 4K LCD TV when they came out. I still have it and has great image, but it was just released in 4K before H.265 became a thing which means I can't actually play any 4K movie because they're pretty much all in H.265 today.
Buy an Nvidia Shield TV. It plays EVERYTHING you can possibly imagine. I have 2 already because they are epic lol.
Posted on Reply
#3
ZoneDymo
Dimi said:
Buy an Nvidia Shield TV. It plays EVERYTHING you can possibly imagine. I have 2 already because they are epic lol.
Nvidia Shield?... ooohhh you mean the Nintendo Switch ;)
Posted on Reply
#4
the54thvoid
RejZoR said:
Just stay away from anything "HDR". Because they clearly have no clue what to use and what to make as a standard. If you plan on going with such screens, go with them for other reasons. HDR buzzword on all ends and yet you can't really use it properly anywhere. I've had a similar experience when I went with 4K LCD TV when they came out. I still have it and has great image, but it was just released in 4K before H.265 became a thing which means I can't actually play any 4K movie because they're pretty much all in H.265 today. It only decodes H.264 via USB thumbdrive/USB HDD... It's quite similar with HDR now. It'll be interesting though when they finally decide what's gonna be a standard used by everyone.
Totally agree. HDR 400 is nonsense, the TV standard is 1000, unless using OLED and that is based on a contrast ratio where black is absolute. My old LCD had about 400nits brightness and was not HDR.

My current LG OLED is HDR10 and Dolby Vision. Hedged my bets on that one. Even now though more HDR stuff is creeping through. Sony also have a different HDR standard.

Buyer beware!!!
Posted on Reply
#6
ZoneDymo
creativeusername said:
8k at 31.5" how useless.
Let me guess, the human eye cant see more then blablabla?
Posted on Reply
#7
dorsetknob
"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Thought Phillips had sold/got out of the Tv/panel Biz

edit they had intended to BUT
In 2013, the company announced the sale of the bulk of its remaining consumer electronics to Japan's Funai Electric Co,[3] but in October 2013, the deal to Funai Electric Co was broken off and the consumer electronics operations remain under Philips. Philips said it would seek damages for breach of contract in the US$200-million sale.[4] In April 2016, the International Court of Arbitration ruled in favour of Philips, awarding compensation of 135 million in the process.
wilki
Posted on Reply
#8
creativeusername
ZoneDymo said:
Let me guess, the human eye cant see more then blablabla?
Those are some nice eagle eye implants you have there.
Posted on Reply
#9
MxPhenom 216
Corsair Fanboy
ZoneDymo said:
Nvidia Shield?... ooohhh you mean the Nintendo Switch ;)
More like Nintendo Switch? Oh you mean Nvidia Shield.

Nvidia Shield TV boxes are pretty sweet though.
Posted on Reply
#11
TheLostSwede
dorsetknob said:
Thought Phillips had sold/got out of the Tv/panel Biz

edit they had intended to BUT
In 2013, the company announced the sale of the bulk of its remaining consumer electronics to Japan's Funai Electric Co,[3] but in October 2013, the deal to Funai Electric Co was broken off and the consumer electronics operations remain under Philips. Philips said it would seek damages for breach of contract in the US$200-million sale.[4] In April 2016, the International Court of Arbitration ruled in favour of Philips, awarding compensation of 135 million in the process.
wilki
TPV technology makes all the screens/TV's, they just license the Philips brand.
Posted on Reply
#12
qubit
Overclocked quantum bit
I'd like to know what kind of GPU will be able to drive an 8K display at decent framerates. Gonna be a while yet.
Posted on Reply
#13
Prima.Vera
qubit said:
I'd like to know what kind of GPU will be able to drive an 8K display at decent framerates. Gonna be a while yet.
You can 1080p on it for a perfect blur fest! ;)
Posted on Reply
#14
nemesis.ie
2 or 3 V64 when the CF driver comes out - and a 1500+W PSU. ;)
Posted on Reply
#15
qubit
Overclocked quantum bit
Prima.Vera said:
You can 1080p on it for a perfect blur fest! ;)
Oh gawd, don't! It should map perfectly with no antialiasing and hence a perfect 1080p picture on an 8K display, but whether the monitor's scaler is still gonna ruin it with that is another matter. I suspect it will.
Posted on Reply
#16
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
qubit said:
I'd like to know what kind of GPU will be able to drive an 8K display at decent framerates. Gonna be a while yet.
3 1080ti's
Posted on Reply
#17
qubit
Overclocked quantum bit
cdawall said:
3 1080ti's
hmmm... I'm not convinced. It's 16 times the resolution of 4K remember. Maybe a couple of the next gen top end GPU? I reckon the gen after that to handle it anywhere near comfortably.
Posted on Reply
#18
xorbe
Man, my xterm is gonna be tiny on that monitor.
Posted on Reply
#19
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
qubit said:
hmmm... I'm not convinced. It's 16 times the resolution of 4K remember. Maybe a couple of the next gen top end GPU? I reckon the gen after that to handle it anywhere near comfortably.
It is 4. 4k monitors in essence. If scaling was perfect 3 1080ti's would handle it as well as one 1080 with an oc handles 4k. Which everyone on this page said was passable.
Posted on Reply
#20
Frick
Fishfaced Nincompoop
ZoneDymo said:
Let me guess, the human eye cant see more then blablabla?
How is scaling these days? Last time I toyed with it (about a year ago iirc) several of the programs I used did not scale properly.

EDIT: Personally I'm still waiting for those affordable 1440p monitors, but that will not happen, and I don't want a 4k monitor at <40" as you would have to use scaling. Even 1440p at 27" would be slightly to small and uncomfortable for me.

EDIT: WTF, 4k 28" for €180.:wtf:
Posted on Reply
#21
nemesis.ie
3 x 1080Tis or RXV64s will give about 45fps with perfect scaling, so maybe throw in a 4th one to get to 60. :)
Posted on Reply
#22
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
nemesis.ie said:
3 x 1080Tis or RXV64s will give about 45fps with perfect scaling, so maybe throw in a 4th one to get to 60. :)
I don't quite know why you are comparing the Vega stuff to a 1080ti but not quite....
Posted on Reply
#23
nemesis.ie
cdawall said:
I don't quite know why you are comparing the Vega stuff to a 1080ti but not quite....
Simple - the only 8k benches I've seen have shown the V64 within 10-15% of the Ti and the V64 is the fastest AMD card so anything lower would not really work. The Dell 8k (for example) supports freesync, not sure if there is an 8k G-sync one available?
Posted on Reply
#24
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
nemesis.ie said:
Simple - the only 8k benches I've seen have shown the V64 within 10-15% of the Ti and the V64 is the fastest AMD card so anything lower would not really work. The Dell 8k (for example) supports freesync, not sure if there is an 8k G-sync one available?
That 10-15% adds up when you have 3 cards that are 10-15% slower EACH
Posted on Reply
#25
nemesis.ie
Er, not really, no, it will still be the same % slower/faster overall assuming perfect scaling. But it will also will depend on how well the drivers do actually scale and how many cards the chosen system/vendor will support.

For example if Vega drivers were to scale better the % slower would actually decrease, conversly, if they were poorer. But outside the scaling factor, the overal % does not change because you are adding more cards.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment