Friday, September 22nd 2017

Possible GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Specifications Surface

It turns out that NVIDIA is giving the GeForce GTX 1070 more than a minor refresh. The new performance-segment SKU, which is slated to come out just before Holiday 2017, could perform very very close to the GTX 1080, although sufficiently spaced out from the GTX 1080 refresh (featuring 11 Gbps memory). According to specifications leaked by Chinese tech publication MyDrivers, NVIDIA will give this SKU the coveted "Ti" moniker after all, and carve it out from the "GP104" silicon.

According to the report, the GTX 1070 Ti will be carved out of the "GP104" silicon by disabling just 1 out of 20 streaming multiprocessors, compared to the GTX 1070 desktop, which has 5 out of 20 disabled. This results in a CUDA core count of 2,432, which is just 128 fewer than that of the GTX 1080. The clock speeds of the GTX 1070 Ti are higher than the GTX 1070, too. It comes with a core clock of 1607 MHz, 1683 MHz GPU Boost, and an untouched 8.00 GHz (GDDR5-effective) memory clock. Interestingly, the TDP of this chip is 180W, which is the same as the GTX 1080. NVIDIA will reportedly launch the GeForce GTX 1070 Ti in early-November, 2017, at a price that's 12.5 percent cheaper than the GTX 1080.
The specifications, again from the top:
  • SKU Name: GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
  • Silicon: 16 nm "GP104" Pascal
  • CUDA cores: 2,432
  • TMUs: 152
  • ROPs: 64
  • Memory size and type: 8 GB, GDDR5
  • GPU Clocks: 1607 MHz core, 1683 MHz GPU Boost
  • Memory clock and bandwidth: 8.00 GHz (GDDR5-effective), 256 GB/s.
  • TDP: 180W
  • Expected MSRP: 12.5 percent cheaper than GTX 1080
  • Expected launch date: Before 10th November, 2017
Source: MyDrivers
Add your own comment

50 Comments on Possible GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Specifications Surface

#1
Hugh Mungus
What's with this 8ghz memory thing? The original article implies that only gddr5 was "confirmed" and why would 1060's habe 9gbps and a 1070 ti not? I understand why tbey didn't put 9gbps in the normal 1070's, but 8gbps is definitely going to be a major bottleneck in a card only sligbtly slower than a 1080 and at least 9.5gbps will be needed I think. 9gbps gddr5 can nearly be overclocked to 10 and then it almost certainly won't bottleneck a 1070 ti. Therefore a 1070 ti should get 9gbps memory at least.
Posted on Reply
#2
T4C Fantasy
CPU & GPU DB Maintainer
i smell GTX 560 Ti 448 and GTX 570 repeating all over again
Posted on Reply
#3
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
Hugh Mungus said:
why would 1060's habe 9gbps and a 1070 ti not?.
GTX 1060 6GB has a 192-bit memory bus, the GTX 1070 Ti has 256-bit. The memory bandwidth is still higher (217 GB/s vs. 256 GB/s).

Perhaps NVIDIA doesn't want to throw the GTX 1080 under a train, just under a bus.
Posted on Reply
#4
T4C Fantasy
CPU & GPU DB Maintainer
btarunr said:
GTX 1060 6GB has a 192-bit memory bus, the GTX 1070 Ti has 256-bit. The memory bandwidth is still higher (217 GB/s vs. 256 GB/s).

Perhaps NVIDIA doesn't want to throw the GTX 1080 under a train, just under a bus.
im still not sold on 2432 though, its possible but im leaning towards 2048 or 2304
Posted on Reply
#5
NBH
Only 12.5% cheaper than a GTX 1080? They are still around £500 so this would make a 1070Ti around £440. Doesn't sound worth it to me, may as well pay an extra £60 and get a bit more performance with a tried and tested 1080, even more so if they reduce the price of them.
Posted on Reply
#6
T4C Fantasy
CPU & GPU DB Maintainer
"specifications"

title error DOT com
Posted on Reply
#7
Xzibit
1070 has been out of stock on Nvidia website store for a few months. This might be a reason.

NBH said:
Only 12.5% cheaper than a GTX 1080? They are still around £500 so this would make a 1070Ti around £440. Doesn't sound worth it to me, may as well pay an extra £60 and get a bit more performance with a tried and tested 1080, even more so if they reduce the price of them.
You also get more bandwidth better memory at the same power envelope.

Maybe there will be a 1070 Ti FE
Posted on Reply
#8
Hugh Mungus
btarunr said:
GTX 1060 6GB has a 192-bit memory bus, the GTX 1070 Ti has 256-bit. The memory bandwidth is still higher (217 GB/s vs. 256 GB/s).

Perhaps NVIDIA doesn't want to throw the GTX 1080 under a train, just under a bus.
Overclocked you would get 288gbps at best. Still is essentially like a 1080 having 9.5gbps, not 11 or even 10 so minimums won't be the greatest. Maybe memory overclocks a bit better than on 1070's.
Posted on Reply
#9
deu
Hugh Mungus said:
What's with this 8ghz memory thing? The original article implies that only gddr5 was "confirmed" and why would 1060's habe 9gbps and a 1070 ti not? I understand why tbey didn't put 9gbps in the normal 1070's, but 8gbps is definitely going to be a major bottleneck in a card only sligbtly slower than a 1080 and at least 9.5gbps will be needed I think. 9gbps gddr5 can nearly be overclocked to 10 and then it almost certainly won't bottleneck a 1070 ti. Therefore a 1070 ti should get 9gbps memory at least.
because greed :) why make something better if you cannibalize your own lineup? Technological advancement does not drive the market; money does :0
Posted on Reply
#10
Vayra86
This is a nasty cut of GP104 imo... the balance looks off. VERY much so. Nvidia is going to sell off a good portion of the failed 1080's and slaps ultra cheap GDDR5 on it. For a near-1080 price.

It'll probably shine in 1080p in the near future. Beyond that.. yea. Avoid?
Posted on Reply
#11
Hugh Mungus
Vayra86 said:
This is a nasty cut of GP104 imo... the balance looks off. VERY much so. Nvidia is going to sell off a good portion of the failed 1080's and slaps ultra cheap GDDR5 on it. For a near-1080 price.

It'll probably shine in 1080p in the near future. Beyond that.. yea. Avoid?
If you overclock the memory it should be somewhat decent and for 1080p or even 1440p if like me you use lower settings it should be very nearly as good as a 1080 and it will cost a bit less. Slightly easier to cool too, so the slightly worse 1080 coolers should work well with 1070 ti's. I would be better off aaving some money and getting a 1070 ti, especially since I play lighter games like project cars, and people who play at 1440p or higher with extremely high and often pointless settings are best off with a 1080. The main problem with 1080's in my country is that good ones are very expensive and as I said good 1070 ti's can use lesser boards and coolers and therefore even the budget ones will work quite well and the price difference can be closer to 100 euros then. That's a large enough gap for me.
Posted on Reply
#12
Vayra86
Hugh Mungus said:
If you overclock the memory it should be somewhat decent and for 1080p or even 1440p if like me you use lower settings it should be very nearly as good as a 1080 and it will cost a bit less. Slightly easier to cool too, so the slightly worse 1080 coolers should work well with 1070 ti's. I would be better off aaving some money and getting a 1070 ti, especially since I play lighter games like project cars, and people who play at 1440p or higher with extremely high and often pointless settings are best off with a 1080. The main problem with 1080's in my country is that good ones are very expensive and as I said good 1070 ti's can use lesser boards and coolers and therefore even the budget ones will work quite well and the price difference can be closer to 100 euros then. That's a large enough gap for me.
Great story, but then you're much better off just getting a GTX 1070 which is well balanced, and not bandwidth starved at every turn. Contrary to what you may seem to think, even a 1080 loves the extra bandwidth; the gap really is pretty big even at 9.5 Gbps - which is by no means a guarantee, especially not with budget cooling and boards. Why on earth would lower settings allow you to somehow better use a card that still is bandwidth starved? No bandwidth = shaders being useless. That alongside the stab at people who run a 1080 'with ridiculous settings'... yeah right, that single SM you miss really changes the game there... LOL.

Bad balance is bad balance, and it is very easy to pick out the releases that are like this. GTX 970, GTX 660ti, Fury X, Vega, GTX 1070ti. Either horribly inefficient, or gets destroyed at specific resolutions / within a year or two after release.
Posted on Reply
#13
Hugh Mungus
Vayra86 said:
Great story, but then you're much better off just getting a GTX 1070 which is well balanced, and not bandwidth starved at every turn. Contrary to what you may seem to think, even a 1080 loves the extra bandwidth; the gap really is pretty big even at 9.5 Gbps - which is by no means a guarantee, especially not with budget cooling and boards.

Bad balance is bad balance, and it is very easy to pick out the releases that are like this. GTX 970, GTX 660ti, Fury X, Vega, GTX 1070ti.
I'll see what happens I suppose. A 1070 is a bit weak though and 1070 ti's won't immediately be grabbed up by miners. 1070 stocks are decent now too, but there simply aren't enough options to force retailers to lower prices. At the very least 1070's and/or 1080's will become a bit cheaper, so that's something and if 1070 ti prices are decent and the memory isn't really a bottleneck (it already has a bigegr memory bus, so maybe it'll be fine especially if it actually only has 2304 CUDA cores like the original rumour stated), I'm definitely getting one.
Posted on Reply
#14
Vayra86
Not stopping you, just warning you :) History repeats, and these afterthought products just don't hold value if you ever intend to resell. You save 70 bucks now, and you will run into a performance wall a half year earlier, and lose that money again because its not a card people really want to buy off you. Oh and don't worry, the 1070ti will look fine in benchmark graphs on release, business as usual. Just like the 970 at the time...

Honestly the price increase for a 1080 is well worth it. I saw the biggest jump in performance from memory OCs, go figure...
Posted on Reply
#15
Hugh Mungus
Vayra86 said:
Not stopping you, just warning you :) History repeats, and these afterthought products just don't hold value if you ever intend to resell. You save 70 bucks now, and you will run into a performance wall a half year earlier, and lose that money again because its not a card people really want to buy off you.

Honestly the price increase for a 1080 is well worth it. I saw the biggest jump in performance from memory OCs, go figure...
I still think 1070 ti's would use 9gbps gddr5, in which case there won't be a significant memory bottleneck, especially when oc-ed and I honestly don't care about resale value as long as the memory won't be the bottleneck. Haven't got many other expenses so I can get a new pc after a few years anyway and I don't play heavy games and never, ever use any settings above high, so usually a non-overclocked 8700k/7700k will be the bottleneck anyway with a 1070 ti. As long as framerates don't dip below 50 or so, it should be a great gaming experience and even a normal 1070 should last me a few years then.

Personal preferences make the difference here and again, it wasn't stated if the source said it was normal gddr5 or improved 9gbps gddr5 and I would put my money on 9gbps, which would make it a 4-5% slower 1080 for 70 bucks less. Seems like a good deal to me and the 1080 11gbps would be 10% faster again, so that could stay for those that want a bit more. Standard 1080 was likely going to be phased out soon anyway and maybe nvidia will dump the 1080 completely and push the ti's. Maybe 10x5's will come out soon to fill the gaps since consumer volta is still quite a way off, old pascal is a bit boring and a pascal refresh is likely to happen anyway.
Posted on Reply
#16
Vayra86
Hugh Mungus said:
I still think 1070 ti's would use 9gbps gddr5, in which case there won't be a significant memory bottleneck, especially when oc-ed and I honestly don't care about resale value as long as the memory won't be the bottleneck. Haven't got many other expenses so I can get a new pc after a few years anyway and I don't play heavy games and never, ever use any settings above high, so usually a non-overclocked 8700k/7700k will be the bottleneck anyway with a 1070 ti. As long as framerates don't dip below 50 or so, it should be a great gaming experience and even a normal 1070 should last me a few years then.

Personal preferences make the difference here.
Well that's not what the article says here. And no, Nvidia using 9Gbps GDDR5 and marketing it as 8, that's wishful thinking. Its about as realistic as saying 'I can buy a PC every couple of years anyway' and then trying to cheapskate on this product... followed by saying that somehow the fastest CPUs for gaming will bottleneck this (they dont). With respect, but what are you smoking? :D
Posted on Reply
#17
Hugh Mungus
Vayra86 said:
Well that's not what the article says here. And no, Nvidia using 9Gbps GDDR5 and marketing it as 8, that's wishful thinking. Its about as realistic as saying 'I can buy a PC every couple of years anyway' and then trying to cheapskate on this product... followed by saying that somehow the fastest CPUs for gaming will bottleneck this. With respect, but what are you smoking? :D
This article is at least a day older than the original 2432 core leak and significantly older than the original 1070 ti leak that was likely a typo. In the older articles it doesn't say 8gbps was confirmed, in fact the source apparently only said gddr5. Therefore there's still a chance of 9gbps if this leak is legit and honestly that would make much more sense (288gbps total stock which is still less than the 326 of the standard 1080 but could be overclocked to 300-320 in some cases I believe).
Posted on Reply
#18
the54thvoid
They could always shuffle the entire stack up and drop the Titan XP. Make the 1080ti a full core chip, make the 1080 closer to the old 'ti'. Nvidia can play around for the fun of it.
Posted on Reply
#19
Vayra86
Hugh Mungus said:
This article is at least a day older than the original 2432 core leak and significantly older than the original 1070 ti leak that was likely a typo. In the older articles it doesn't say 8gbps was confirmed, in fact the source apparently only said gddr5. Therefore there's still a chance of 9gbps if this leak is legit and honestly that would make much more sense (288gbps total stock which is still less than the 326 of the standard 1080 but could be overclocked to 300-320 in some cases I believe).
It would indeed, and then your story would make a lot more sense. At 8Gbps though, avoid!
Posted on Reply
#20
jigar2speed
This card is looking very nice, i hope the memory overclocks atleast 1GHZ
Posted on Reply
#21
ppn
Micron official 12 Gb/s can give it a 50% boost but cost much more now that there is a shortage. I would like a decent boost just like GTX 650 Ti and the following 650 Ti Boost which had 50% more bandwidth achieved by 128-192 bit bus and that surprisingly lead to a perfectly ideal 50% performance jump the core count being the same. I guess it was really starved for bandwidth. Even if 12 Gb/s brings only 25% that will be worth extra $.
By the way I like the new block time of ether being double that of month of June. Miners should stay away, please for the love of motherboards. 1070 costs the same as 1080 at local store. This is preposterous, I can't pay more than 429$ for this Ti even if equipped with 12 Gb/s memory by some chance. Certainly 350$ max for 8 Gb/s version.
Posted on Reply
#22
Ubersonic
Haven't seen anyone address the elephant in the room so I'll tackle it. If the specs are correct then the 1070ti is going to be much better at mining than the 1080 (having GDDR5 instead of weaker GDDR5X will offset the loss of cores).
Posted on Reply
#23
xkm1948
And this will kill any hope RTG had regarding Vega56.
Posted on Reply
#24
Vya Domus
Nvidia is using faster Samsung memory modules for the 1060 than the Micron chips they started to put inside of 1070s soon after the initial batches.

Doesn't that tell you something ? The 1070 is purposely limited by memory bandwidth , launching a higher core count model would only further that. But then again they could come up with anything and it will still sell like crazy.
Posted on Reply
#25
Power Slave
Sounds like 1080's that didn't make the cut. Milk what they can over the holidays coming up. There is no competition to compete against themselves so why not. Smart on thier part. A 1070ti release to give that "refreshed" feeling of new for those in the market needing a GPU. Better than a1070 and I bet very closely priced since there is barely any space between the 1070 and 1080. Guess this make 1070 defunct.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment