Monday, June 12th 2017

NVIDIA Briefs AIC Partners About Next-gen GeForce Series

NVIDIA has reportedly briefed its add-in card (AIC) partners about its upcoming GeForce product family, codenamed "Turing," and bearing a commercial nomenclature of either GeForce 11-series, or GeForce 20-series. This sets in motion a 2-3 month long process of rolling out new graphics cards by board partners, beginning with reference-design "Founders Edition" SKUs, followed by custom-design SKUs. Sources tell Tom's Hardware Germany that AIC partners have began training product development teams. NVIDIA has also released a BoM (bill of materials) to its partners, so aside from the ASIC itself, they could begin the process of sourcing other components for their custom-design products (such as coolers, memory chips, VRM components, connectors, etc.).

The BoM also specifies a timeline for the tentative amount of time it takes for each of the main stages of the product development, leading up to mass-production. It stipulates 11-12 weeks (2-3 months) leading up to mass-production and shipping, which could put product-launch some time in August (assuming the BoM was released some time in May-June). A separate table also provides a fascinating insight to the various stages of development of a custom-design NVIDIA graphics card.
Sources: Tom's Hardware Germany, VideoCardz
Add your own comment

23 Comments on NVIDIA Briefs AIC Partners About Next-gen GeForce Series

#1
wolf
Performance Enthusiast
That is a very interesting insight into the process for new cards. Keen to see what they have up their sleeve and for it to hopefully up the performance ante and get everyone, no matter what brand or flavor you buy, more performance for their money.
Posted on Reply
#3
xkm1948
Guess I am getting the 1180 FE then. FE seems to have better binned chips?
Posted on Reply
#4
cucker tarlson
xkm1948 said:
Guess I am getting the 1180 FE then. FE seems to have better binned chips?
No.
I was considering an 1180 but now I don't know. I might hold on to my 1080 and then jump straight to 1180Ti when Cypberpunk 2077 comes out. I watched the E3 and I don't think we're going to see any revolutionary graphics in games that are coming out in lat 18 / early 19. I may sell the 1080 before the launch and get the 1170 if it ends up costing me very little money and I get +10-15% performance at lower power draw but I'm havingdoubts about the new 1180 card. Back when I was selling my 980Ti for a 1080 that +20-30% performance increase was something that I really felt. 980Ti was struggling with some games at 1440p cause in 2015/16 we had witcher3, quantum break,watch dogs 2 and the like - games which looked amazing but required a lot of horepower. Grahpics have become stagnant over the course of recent years though, the 1080 still runs new games at 1440p perfectly fine.
Posted on Reply
#5
xkm1948
cucker tarlson said:
No.
I was considering an 1180 but now I don't know. I might hold on to my 1080 and then jump straight to 1180Ti when Cypberpunk 2077 comes out. I watched the E3 and I don't think we're going to see any revolutionary graphics in games that are coming out in lat 18 / early 19.
1180 would be a huge upgrade for me coming out of a FuryX. Can't wait for 1180Ti which is probably gonna take another year.
Posted on Reply
#6
cucker tarlson
xkm1948 said:
1180 would be a huge upgrade for me coming out of a FuryX. Can't wait for 1180Ti which is probably gonna take another year.
For 1440p/60 all you need is a 1080. 1170 would be a great upgrade for you.

I was also considering getting a used 1080 for SLI, but that's only if 1180 fails to improve 1080 performance by 1.5x. I still think swapping a 1080 for 1170 and then waiting for 1080Ti si the best way to do it. Only way I can get any good money for my 1080 is before the new gen launch with +1 year of warranty left. No one is buying a used 1080 with almost no warranty left in 2019, not for a good asking price that is.
Posted on Reply
#7
lynx29
cucker tarlson said:
For 1440p/60 all you need is a 1080. 1170 would be a great upgrade for you.

I was also considering getting a used 1080 for SLI, but that's only if 1180 fails to improve 1080 performance by 1.5x. I still think swapping a 1080 for 1170 and then waiting for 1080Ti si the best way to do it. Only way I can get any good money for my 1080 is before the new gen launch with +1 year of warranty left. No one is buying a used 1080 with almost no warranty left in 2019, not for a good asking price that is.
you would be surprised to see Ebay the last 3-4 years. Nvidia cards sell really well even ancient ones. I think I saw gtx 580 sell last year for like $150. lol. turns out there is a lot of dumb people in this world. who knew? :)
Posted on Reply
#8
xkm1948
cucker tarlson said:
For 1440p/60 all you need is a 1080. 1170 would be a great upgrade for you.

I was also considering getting a used 1080 for SLI, but that's only if 1180 fails to improve 1080 performance by 1.5x. I still think swapping a 1080 for 1170 and then waiting for 1080Ti si the best way to do it. Only way I can get any good money for my 1080 is before the new gen launch with +1 year of warranty left. No one is buying a used 1080 with almost no warranty left in 2019, not for a good asking price that is.
I do a lot of VR so pretty much i need a GPU that is as fast as possible, without breaking the bank though.
Posted on Reply
#9
piloponth
cucker tarlson said:
For 1440p/60 all you need is a 1080. 1170 would be a great upgrade for you.
Wrong, I'm playing at 2560x1440p with 1080 Ti. For example Ghost recon Wildlands runs around 45fps in ultra settings. Same with Farcry games. We are still not there yet
Posted on Reply
#10
lynx29
piloponth said:
Wrong, I'm playing at 2560x1440p with 1080 Ti. For example Ghost recon Wildlands runs around 45fps in ultra settings. Same with Farcry games. We are still not there yet
indeed. I can confirm. especially considering how i prefer all my games to be around 100 fps 100hz or higher in order for them to be "enjoyable" my personal opinion. GSYNC does help a lot though, so yeah
Posted on Reply
#11
RejZoR
I wonder if it'll bring anything really innovative tech or it'll be just more of the old to make it faster.
Posted on Reply
#12
bug
RejZoR said:
I wonder if it'll bring anything really innovative tech or it'll be just more of the old to make it faster.
Faster is faster, regardless of what's beneath the surface.
Posted on Reply
#13
las
cucker tarlson said:
No.
I was considering an 1180 but now I don't know. I might hold on to my 1080 and then jump straight to 1180Ti when Cypberpunk 2077 comes out. I watched the E3 and I don't think we're going to see any revolutionary graphics in games that are coming out in lat 18 / early 19. I may sell the 1080 before the launch and get the 1170 if it ends up costing me very little money and I get +10-15% performance at lower power draw but I'm havingdoubts about the new 1180 card. Back when I was selling my 980Ti for a 1080 that +20-30% performance increase was something that I really felt. 980Ti was struggling with some games at 1440p cause in 2015/16 we had witcher3, quantum break,watch dogs 2 and the like - games which looked amazing but required a lot of horepower. Grahpics have become stagnant over the course of recent years though, the 1080 still runs new games at 1440p perfectly fine.
Funny, when I had a 1080 in my rig, it felt like a side-grade compared to my 980 Ti @ 1580/2000.
30% no way. Maybe if you compare 980 Ti Reference Stock vs 1080 Custom.
Custom 980 Ti's are 15-20% faster than reference.

1080 can't max every demanding game at 1440p/60fps.

1080 Ti is the way to go coming from a 980 Ti. Now I'd just wait for new x80/x70 instead.
Posted on Reply
#14
RejZoR
bug said:
Faster is faster, regardless of what's beneath the surface.
Not really. If it's just faster, I'll stay with GTX 1080Ti. If it brings new gadgetry and extra features that I can use without waiting for games to support it, I might buy a product out of curiosity. So, it's not just about speed...
Posted on Reply
#15
Vayra86
xkm1948 said:
I do a lot of VR so pretty much i need a GPU that is as fast as possible, without breaking the bank though.
Then jumping on GT104 makes no sense (1180) and you need to wait on 1180ti. But not breaking the bank... I don't see how you'll be avoiding that.

xkm1948 said:
Guess I am getting the 1180 FE then. FE seems to have better binned chips?
Avoid FE like the plague. You get a throttling & noisy card at a premium.
Posted on Reply
#16
bug
RejZoR said:
Not really. If it's just faster, I'll stay with GTX 1080Ti. If it brings new gadgetry and extra features that I can use without waiting for games to support it, I might buy a product out of curiosity. So, it's not just about speed...
You know it doesn't bring "new gadgetry and extra features". None have been hinted at.
However 20% extra performance (and that can very well be just my wishful thinking), would make the top end card much more suitable for 4k gaming, even if the architecture turns out to be a slightly tweaked Pascal.

Also, upgrading from one generation to the next has rarely made sense, save for those that always have to have the fastest card.
Posted on Reply
#17
the54thvoid
Vayra86 said:
avoid FE like the plague. You get a throttling & noisy card at a premium.
But they tend to be better binned (reviews) support this. I agree with throttling though, that's why they're great options for water cooling.
Posted on Reply
#18
RejZoR
FE cards are only good choice if you really need exhaust cooler or you're planning on slamming a water cooling on it.
Posted on Reply
#19
Vayra86
the54thvoid said:
But they tend to be better binned (reviews) support this. I agree with throttling though, that's why they're great options for water cooling.
Riiiight.

Or the reviewers just got a few good samples as FE's, which really isn't something new. If you want to buy the binning nonsense be my guest... The reality is that FEs do NOT come with any kind of statement that guarantees a better binned chip - the only guarantee you do have is that the cooler is junk.
Posted on Reply
#20
Upgrayedd
This is still being called Turing? lol
Posted on Reply
#21
T4C Fantasy
CPU & GPU DB Maintainer
Upgrayedd said:
This is still being called Turing? lol
I still doubt it, but anything is possible
Posted on Reply
#22
cucker tarlson
las said:
Funny, when I had a 1080 in my rig, it felt like a side-grade compared to my 980 Ti @ 1580/2000.
30% no way. Maybe if you compare 980 Ti Reference Stock vs 1080 Custom.
Custom 980 Ti's are 15-20% faster than reference.

1080 can't max every demanding game at 1440p/60fps.

1080 Ti is the way to go coming from a 980 Ti. Now I'd just wait for new x80/x70 instead.
You can't run 980Ti at max OC unless you're fine with 100% fan speed, so I basically had to leave it at 1350MHz and the card was still running at 70% fan speed and hittting 75 degrees. I had MSI 980Ti Gaming with asic near 82%. My 1080 I can max out the OC at 70% fan and the card still sits at 60-62 degrees. Comparin 980Ti OC vs 1080 OC is silly unless you're talking both watercooled, running a 250W card vs 180W card overclocked are two totally different stories.

Titan Xp can't max out every game at 1080p/60 either, if you go for max settings. How come people are running 1080p/60 with 1070s and they have plenty of room still left though.
Posted on Reply
#23
las
cucker tarlson said:
You can't run 980Ti at max OC unless you're fine with 100% fan speed, so I basically had to leave it at 1350MHz and the card was still running at 70% fan speed and hittting 75 degrees. I had MSI 980Ti Gaming with asic near 82%. My 1080 I can max out the OC at 70% fan and the card still sits at 60-62 degrees. Comparin 980Ti OC vs 1080 OC is silly unless you're talking both watercooled, running a 250W card vs 180W card overclocked are two totally different stories.

Titan Xp can't max out every game at 1080p/60 either, if you go for max settings. How come people are running 1080p/60 with 1070s and they have plenty of room still left though.
Yes you can easily hit 1500 MHz on custom boards. Pretty much any 980 Ti boosts to 1350-1400 out of the box and runs ~1500 MHz.
Fact is that 980 Ti Custom beats 1070 Custom right out of the box and 1080 is not much faster.

My 980 Ti is on water and dead silent tho. Couldn't care less about watts, I look at performance and 1080 was a side-grade, tested myself. I considered 1080 Ti, but waiting for better, 7-12nm and GDDR6.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment