Thursday, November 8th 2018

SilverStone Intros FN124 Slimline 120mm Fan

SilverStone introduced the FN124, a slimline 120 mm case fan, with a thickness of 15 mm instead of the conventional 25 mm. The fan features a 9-blade impeller with reinforcing secondary blades. The motor takes in 3-pin (DC) power input. and features sleeved bearing with 40,000-hour rated lifespan. The fan spins at speeds of up to 1,500 RPM, pushing up to 25.06 CFM of air, with 18 dBA typical noise output. Expect this one to be priced around $15.
Add your own comment

14 Comments on SilverStone Intros FN124 Slimline 120mm Fan

#1
oldtimenoob
I've been looking for a slim fan, I wonder how long it will take before it hits the market place.
Posted on Reply
#2
EntropyZ
"oldtimenoob said:
I've been looking for a slim fan, I wonder how long it will take before it hits the market place.
They already have a model including with PWM (FN123 Black or White), this doesn't seem to have a notable improvement over what they have now. Some people just don't like them for the noise they make to get air moving fast.

All they did was lower the speed to get some noise reduction. And they're asking for $15 a piece... Maybe its better to buy the old model and just adjust its speed to whatever you want. I did so myself, and I have no gripes whatsoever.

Trouble is there's not much you can do about the price, since other than Scythe, nobody makes quality slim fans I think. Most would think it is a niche market. But with small and powerful builds being viable, it begs the question why there aren't more options right?
Posted on Reply
#3
ckaym
"oldtimenoob said:
I've been looking for a slim fan, I wonder how long it will take before it hits the market place.
That SilverStone fan is not worth it. It has to be under $5 to even consider it.
If you need good slim 120mm fan get "Noctua nf-a12x15-pwm"
Rotational Speed (+/- 10%) 1850 RPM (1400 RPM with Low Noise Adapter incl. in the box aka L.N.A)
Airflow 94,2 m³/h (70,8 m³/h with L.N.A.)
Static Pressure 1,53 mm H₂O
MTTF > 150.000 h
(also come with extender, Y-splitter, L.N.A. & anti-vibration mounts)

I was really tempted to put these slim Noctua fans under my radiator, but no slim fans can measure up with H₂O Static Pressure of a regular 25mm fan (I got the "Noctua NF F12 Industrial PPC 2000 IP67 PWM" for that purpose with its 3,94 mm H₂O @ 2000rpm)
I just got couple for my SFF custom pc build (~10L case 25x12x32mm with the two slim fans on bottom, and the two high-static-pressure fans with the radiator on top).
They're a bit more expensive (at $20), but these extra $5 give you about twice the fan the SilverStone is.
Posted on Reply
#4
oldtimenoob
"ckaym said:
That SilverStone fan is not worth it. It has to be under $5 to even consider it.
If you need good slim 120mm fan get "Noctua nf-a12x15-pwm"
Rotational Speed (+/- 10%) 1850 RPM (1400 RPM with Low Noise Adapter incl. in the box aka L.N.A)
Airflow 94,2 m³/h (70,8 m³/h with L.N.A.)
Static Pressure 1,53 mm H₂O
MTTF > 150.000 h
(also come with extender, Y-splitter, L.N.A. & anti-vibration mounts)

I was really tempted to put these slim Noctua fans under my radiator, but no slim fans can measure up with H₂O Static Pressure of a regular 25mm fan (I got the "Noctua NF F12 Industrial PPC 2000 IP67 PWM" for that purpose with its 3,94 mm H₂O @ 2000rpm)
I just got couple for my SFF custom pc build (~10L case 25x12x32mm with the two slim fans on bottom, and the two high-static-pressure fans with the radiator on top).
They're a bit more expensive (at $20), but these extra $5 give you about twice the fan the SilverStone is.
Thanks for the advice, I got a BitFenix Prodigy M case, beautiful case, but heat and space is a problem.
Posted on Reply
#5
DeathtoGnomes
25cfm @ 1500 rpm is a bit low for 120mm with all those blades. Wonder what the static pressure is.
Posted on Reply
#8
Franzen4Real
"oldtimenoob said:
I've been looking for a slim fan, I wonder how long it will take before it hits the market place.
I have the Fortress FTZ01 case in my living room and it came with the F123 variants of this fan. They are horrible at best, and once you put the dust filters on in front of them they are worthless. Definitely loud for the very little amount of air that they move. I ended up swapping in 25mm Silent Wings in their place, as I was not depth limited for fans in that area. If you do need a 15mm fan, I'd look elsewhere.
Posted on Reply
#9
intelzen
please do NOT compare these fans (or any other slim) to 25mm... if one have room for 25mm - one should not even consider slim fans at all. I did need slim fan in my silverstone sg13 build and FW121 (I think the same fan as this "new") worked good I had i7- 6700T (35w tdp cpu)- and results were:
1) CPU cooler (scythe big shuriken) without a fan - super silent, super ccompact, but thermal throttling after few mins of load (aka FAIL);
2) same cooler with 120x25mm fan spinning at 600rpm - cool CPU never exceeded 50C, super silent (but FAIL - because this test was done with open case and there were no room for 25mm fan and I could not mount psu and close the case);
3) same cooler with FW121 120x15mm had to ramp up to 900rpms (still silent) and temps were more than 70C

so as you can see scenario 3) wins hands down but it is not pretty, but my 13L small itx case was pretty, small and silent - so I was happy
Posted on Reply
#10
Mussels
Moderprator
Good good, if the noise levels are low in reality i'd love these for generic case fans/CPU HSF fans
Posted on Reply
#11
InVasMani
Where these slim fans could be interesting is on a twin split heat pipe tower mounting one on both sides of each tower stack. Since the fans themselves are more thin you could probably squeeze a nice push pull fan on each of the heat pipe tower stack fin arrays and get appreciative cooling.
Posted on Reply
#12
Steamroller
"EntropyZ said:
They already have a model including with PWM (FN123 Black or White), this doesn't seem to have a notable improvement over what they have now. Some people just don't like them for the noise they make to get air moving fast.

All they did was lower the speed to get some noise reduction. And they're asking for $15 a piece... Maybe its better to buy the old model and just adjust its speed to whatever you want. I did so myself, and I have no gripes whatsoever.

Trouble is there's not much you can do about the price, since other than Scythe, nobody makes quality slim fans I think. Most would think it is a niche market. But with small and powerful builds being viable, it begs the question why there aren't more options right?
I also don't get it why do they release a non PWM fan in 2018 especially when they already have the FW121, a PWM fan already on the market for several years now.
Posted on Reply
#13
ghazi
"intelzen said:
please do NOT compare these fans (or any other slim) to 25mm... if one have room for 25mm - one should not even consider slim fans at all. I did need slim fan in my silverstone sg13 build and FW121 (I think the same fan as this "new") worked good I had i7- 6700T (35w tdp cpu)- and results were:
1) CPU cooler (scythe big shuriken) without a fan - super silent, super ccompact, but thermal throttling after few mins of load (aka FAIL);
2) same cooler with 120x25mm fan spinning at 600rpm - cool CPU never exceeded 50C, super silent (but FAIL - because this test was done with open case and there were no room for 25mm fan and I could not mount psu and close the case);
3) same cooler with FW121 120x15mm had to ramp up to 900rpms (still silent) and temps were more than 70C

so as you can see scenario 3) wins hands down but it is not pretty, but my 13L small itx case was pretty, small and silent - so I was happy
This right here is what these fans are for... fitting stuff that otherwise would be unable to fit in a cramped case. I have a 12mm thick Scythe Slipstream as a rear exhaust fan and two 20mm thick Yate Loons on my top radiator, and they just barely fit... these types of fans sure do come in handy.
Posted on Reply
#14
micropage7
i had this vision before, fan with inner ring
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment