Saturday, December 8th 2018

PSA: "NVIDIA Installer cannot continue" on Windows October 2018 Update and How To Fix It

For those doing a fresh install of Microsoft's latest Windows 10 operating system (version 1809 October 2018 Update), you may encounter an issue with NVIDIA graphics drivers. Namely, a message may pop up when you install the graphics driver, telling you "The standard NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows". The issue is caused by the operating system automatically installing the GeForce 398.36 DCH graphics driver through Windows Update, immediately after first log-on. DCH drivers are also known as "Universal Windows Driver", "UWD", "DCHU", and "Declarative, Componentized, Hardware Support App", and leverage the Windows UWP platform for driver control panels while promising simpler updates and maintainability.

If networking is available during the Windows 10 installation, the operating system will automatically look for a graphics driver on Windows Update, which is a good thing, as it simplifies the setup process for the majority of users. At this point, everything will appear to be fine, however, once you attempt to update from that driver to the newest version from NVIDIA's driver download page, the error will appear. This is highly frustrating for some users, who have been reporting the issue on several online forums, including NVIDIA's own, with little attention paid thus far from their developers. We encountered the problem ourselves today, during the setup of our 2019 SSD review benchmarking install and got motivated to investigate this further.

Fixing the problem has proven difficult for some. However, a few methods are available which are reasonably straightforward. The first, and probably best, option is to avoid it altogether by disconnecting the PC from any network during OS install, thus blocking Windows from downloading the graphics driver via Windows Update, and manually installing the GeForce driver from USB media or driver disc, before networking is made available to Windows. Windows Update will not replace any existing driver with a DCH driver, so everything will be fine from here on- provided you are starting with a fresh install.

For some this may not be possible, in which case you can use the NVIDIA GeForce Experience app to bypass the problem as well. This method works as it is able to grab a DCH version of the driver, thus avoiding any potential conflicts. Apparently NVIDIA is releasing DCH drivers already, but they are not accessible through their official driver download page for GeForce at the time of this posting. The professional Quadro drivers do have a dropdown for "Windows Driver Type", listing options "Standard" and "DCH". Going with GeForce Experience does mean that you have to make an NVIDIA account and send telemetry to the company, something many users want to avoid; and for the next driver update you'll need to use GFE again, because your stuck with DCH drivers.

Another option that we've seen recommended in some places is to try and use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) before attempting installation of the downloaded driver. However, while it did fix the problem for us, this nuclear option resulted in a strange corruption of the Windows Driver Manager, which meant an OS reinstall anyway.

To check whether you have the DCH NVIDIA graphics driver installed on your system, you can use Regedit to check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\nvlddmkm for a value called "DCHUVen". If it is present you are currently running an NVIDIA UWD/DCH driver.
We spent a few hours tinkering with the issue on multiple hardware configurations, and figured out a method that properly removes the DCH driver, letting you install the downloaded driver with ease. The biggest obstacle is that when you uninstall the DCH driver normally, it won't be gone from the system until you reboot, so you have to reboot before the NVIDIA Installer will work. Unfortunately, Windows Update will kick in right after reboot and reinstall the UWD driver that you just removed, blocking the NVIDIA Installer once again.

Our method is the following:
  • Go to Device Manager, open the NVIDIA graphics adapter, go to "Details" and select "Inf Name". Make note of the value, which in our case is "oem6.inf", but this will differ between systems, so don't skip this step.
  • Now open a command prompt with administrative privileges (Press Windows key, type "cmd", right-click, select "Run as Administrator".
  • Next, type the following command into the command prompt "pnputil /delete-driver oemX.inf /uninstall", replace "X" with the number you got from the first step (in our case we use oem6.inf).
  • The last step is to run "sc delete nvlddmkm" in the same command prompt, which properly removes the leftovers of the NVIDIA DCH driver.
  • Now you can download and install the NVIDIA driver without any problems, no reboot is needed through all these steps. We recommend doing a custom installation of the driver at this point, with the "clean install" option activated, to make sure all leftovers are removed.
Sadly, it seems that issues such as this could become more common as a result of such a fragmented driver release program. A quick Google search of "NVIDIA DCH" brings up numerous forum posts and threads with disgruntled users wondering why drivers will not install, and typically end unresolved with no real reason or explanation given other than the fact it is not compatible, and that GeForce Experience is recommended.

At this point, it may be prudent for NVIDIA to switch to the newer style of device driver or at least support the option for users to manually download a DCH version. The use of GeForce Experience to merely update a graphics card driver feels a bit heavy-handed and certainly doesn't leave us feeling happy about having to sign into yet another app to get a working driver because Windows Update forced us to do so.

Taking things a step further, we also explored NVIDIA's control panel app in the Microsoft Store. Once installed, if you try to run the app, it will tell you the drivers that were manually installed are not compatible, and will direct you to the NVIDIA driver page to download an updated driver. Funnily enough, the application wants a DCH driver but will then point you to the regular drivers which, as you may have guessed, results in the app not working.
Have any of you encountered this "NVIDIA Installer cannot continue" issue and need help with it? Let us know in the comments below if our method worked for you, and help spread the word to others affected by sharing the post. Sources: Microsoft UWD Developer Page, Reports on NVIDIA Forums
Add your own comment

67 Comments on PSA: "NVIDIA Installer cannot continue" on Windows October 2018 Update and How To Fix It

#26
moproblems99
Manu_PT said:
By dinossaur you mean the graphic appearance? If so I can understand, but I don´t judge OS by their visual! I judge it by stability. Windows 7 use your CPU smarter than Windows 10, not to mention RAM management. The input lag on Windows 7 is lower too, and the mouse translation too. It runs with less 200 services background and it doesn´t work by modules like Windows 10. It is a superior OS compared to Windows 10, but it lacks Directx12 and the visual effects. That´s all. There isn´t a single advantage on Windows 10 compared to Windows 7 OS wise.
The only true statement in that post is that Win7 lacks DX12.
Posted on Reply
#27
newtekie1
Semi-Retired Folder
Manu_PT said:
By dinossaur you mean the graphic appearance? If so I can understand, but I don´t judge OS by their visual! I judge it by stability. Windows 7 use your CPU smarter than Windows 10, not to mention RAM management. The input lag on Windows 7 is lower too, and the mouse translation too. It runs with less 200 services background and it doesn´t work by modules like Windows 10. It is a superior OS compared to Windows 10, but it lacks Directx12 and the visual effects. That´s all. There isn´t a single advantage on Windows 10 compared to Windows 7 OS wise.
No, I mean a dinosaur on how it functions. Things like the much more functional Task Manager, the much better file transfer window, the much improved multi-monitor support, just to name a few.

I don't agree that Windows 7 uses the CPU better at all, and RAM management also isn't any better with Windows 7. Windows 7 uses less RAM at idle, but do I really care? No, it really makes no difference if you have 4GB or more.
Posted on Reply
#28
TheGuruStud
Unrelated, but I recently updated drivers and I had to block nvidia at least 4 times in my firewall. Assholes kept trying to get internet access with every EXE they have.
Posted on Reply
#29
Solaris17
Dainty Moderator
TheGuruStud said:
Unrelated, but I recently updated drivers and I had to block nvidia at least 4 times in my firewall. Assholes kept trying to get internet access with every EXE they have.
I made a post about pi hole in a guide here https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/guide-global-network-dns-blacklisting-pi-hole.233545/

I also follow the community on reddit. This was a post about the GFE (Geforce experience) legit 2 days ago.

<a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/comments/a3mrmp" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">pihole/comments/a3mrmp</a>

rediculous
Posted on Reply
#30
eidairaman1
The Exiled Airman
Hitman_Actual said:
All these people having issues with 1809. Installed/updated all 6 of my system. Not a single issues....who are these folks? 2 of my system which are gaming rigs both Nvidia.......Nada single hick up.......Again who are these folks?
Just because you say you aren't doesn't mean others are not having problems. If they weren't this thread would not exist!
Posted on Reply
#31
windwhirl
coonbro said:
more like using that cloud based malware service called windows 10 . [lol...] so are folks with real operating systems having this issue ? [win-7 / Linux ]
This issue only occurs with Windows 10, because Universal Windows Drivers are not available on any other version.
Posted on Reply
#32
eidairaman1
The Exiled Airman
windwhirl said:
This issue only occurs with Windows 10, because Universal Windows Drivers are not available on any other version.
They were named differently.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2803-device-installation-settings.html
Win 7 would automatically do it by default. When tweaking an OS that is the first setting to get turned off

TheGuruStud said:
Unrelated, but I recently updated drivers and I had to block nvidia at least 4 times in my firewall. Assholes kept trying to get internet access with every EXE they have.
Check task scheduler
Posted on Reply
#33
Slacker
W1zzard said:
The uwd driver gets added to driver store and will install even without network.
Idk about that. I just did a fresh install 2 weeks ago with the latest iso. from Microsoft for Windows 10. I always do my network drivers last after installing all the major drivers (motherboard, video card, sound card, & nvme drivers). I never had an issue with this at all with all the fresh windows setups I've done in the past and present.

One thing I don't do is log in with my email account to activate windows 10. I always have a key code
Posted on Reply
#34
Jadawin
Manu_PT said:
This! Windows 10 is one of the worst Windows imo, but people are using it as microsoft basically "forced" upgrades for free. The OS is terrible. Windows 7 is smoother and has more stability.
BS.
Posted on Reply
#35
newtekie1
Semi-Retired Folder
eidairaman1 said:
They were named differently.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2803-device-installation-settings.html
Win 7 would automatically do it by default. When tweaking an OS that is the first setting to get turned off
That is different than UWD. That is just Windows installing a standard driver that it downloads from Windows Update.

Universal Windows Drivers are actually a different type of driver that uses the Windows App Store system to install the driver. From my understanding it is kind of like the difference between a normal desktop program, and an App that you'd get through the Windows App Store.

This is why there is an issue when trying to install the normal driver when the UWD has already been installed. The normal driver doesn't know how to handle the UWD already being there. This is more of an nVidia issue, IMO, than a Microsoft one. Their driver should know how to handle a UWD already being installed.
Posted on Reply
#36
eidairaman1
The Exiled Airman
newtekie1 said:
That is different than UWD. That is just Windows installing a standard driver that it downloads from Windows Update.

Universal Windows Drivers are actually a different type of driver that uses the Windows App Store system to install the driver. From my understanding it is kind of like the difference between a normal desktop program, and an App that you'd get through the Windows App Store.

This is why there is an issue when trying to install the normal driver when the UWD has already been installed. The normal driver doesn't know how to handle the UWD already being there. This is more of an nVidia issue, IMO, than a Microsoft one. Their driver should know how to handle a UWD already being installed.
Thats an evolution step of what I specified- provides basic functionality, not optimized...


Command calls encoded are lacking from NV then. If ms would stop with the mucking of the wddm platform every build then maybe the gpu makers wouldn't have these problems and having to guess all the friggin time, yet another reason to refuse W10, you think after 1 year the OS would be right...
Posted on Reply
#37
Johny burns
So it shows Microsoft doesn't care anymore and for the money NVidia charges 4 their products, drivers support is subpar. No communications btw those 2 companies. Things are going bad. I have witnessed that with Intel hardware too. Except Intel reacts and fixes their issues much faster and smoother.
Posted on Reply
#38
W1zzard
Slacker said:
Idk about that. I just did a fresh install 2 weeks ago with the latest iso. from Microsoft for Windows 10. I always do my network drivers last after installing all the major drivers (motherboard, video card, sound card, & nvme drivers). I never had an issue with this at all with all the fresh windows setups I've done in the past and present.

One thing I don't do is log in with my email account to activate windows 10. I always have a key code
Not using a MS account either, I even say "i don't have a key" during the usb install to save on time, I can paste the key later through remote desktop.

Doesn't W10 come with drivers for your NIC? If it doesn't and you install NIC drivers last, then you're basically doing the first method we listed in the article. For (most?) systems the NIC driver is already included and Windows will start searching for a graphics driver from Windows update as soon as network connectivity is found (within a minute or so, I tested this on a fresh install yday).
Posted on Reply
#39
Tsukiyomi91
Moral of the day: Never leave updates to MS or Windows in auto-pilot. ALWAYS go for manual, incremental updates whenever possible. Tons of hassle but less trouble in the long run.
Posted on Reply
#40
W1zzard
Solaris17 said:
No just firing it off. Windows is probably locking it because of rollback and its using the installed service DB.
This seems to be just a timing issue. afaik the driver gets removed, which marks the driver as deleted. Once the driver has fully stopped the driver can actually be deleted, which stops the nvlddmkm service. You firing off commands so quickly will just mark the nvlddmkm service itself as deleted, which doesn't remove the DCHUVen key, so NV installer still thinks it's running on DCH. Try removing that registry key manually in your script
Posted on Reply
#41
Nucleoprotein
When Intel does transition to DCH last weeks - "wow superb driver" etc, and when Nvidia doing that - "buuuu we want older drivers"... wtf??? Really don't understand...
Maybe because you can't found DCH installers, Yes, that Nvidia screwed up, you can found direct links to DCH drivers on their forums or just use - like me - Nvidia Experience
Also DCH was introduced in Redstone 3 ie. 1709 not 1809 - it only spread more now because OEM require to use them, in 1709 and 1803 DCH was optional.
I use DCH for Realtek HDA too - new modern control panel is great, also DCH driver is like 30MB vs standard 250MB.
Posted on Reply
#42
Vayra86
Manu_PT said:
By dinossaur you mean the graphic appearance? If so I can understand, but I don´t judge OS by their visual! I judge it by stability. Windows 7 use your CPU smarter than Windows 10, not to mention RAM management. The input lag on Windows 7 is lower too, and the mouse translation too. It runs with less 200 services background and it doesn´t work by modules like Windows 10. It is a superior OS compared to Windows 10, but it lacks Directx12 and the visual effects. That´s all. There isn´t a single advantage on Windows 10 compared to Windows 7 OS wise.
You need to stop pulling 'facts' out of your arse. 70% of what you're writing needs a source or it only happens in your imaginary 240hz world. Input lag, mouse translation, RAM management... its a load of nonsense. As for stability, Windows 7 is evidently less stable and lockups will force far more reboots than on 10, so that is already crossed off. The rest... waiting for that source.

Regardless... isn't this issue easily fixed with Geforce Experience? You can easily uninstall it afterwards. Windows Driver > GFE update > uninstall GFE > Maybe even get a separate Geforce driver from the website if you feel the need. That then also eliminates the telemetry concerns.
Posted on Reply
#43
W1zzard
Vayra86 said:
Regardless... isn't this issue easily fixed with Geforce Experience? You can easily uninstall it afterwards. Windows Driver > GFE update > uninstall GFE > Maybe even get a separate Geforce driver from the website if you feel the need. That then also eliminates the telemetry concerns.
You have to register, login, at which point telemetry gets uploaded, then you can update the driver. And for the next driver update you'll need GFE again because you're stuck on DCH drivers
Posted on Reply
#44
eidairaman1
The Exiled Airman
Manu_PT said:
There is no true statement in your post at all.



You need to put source too, about what you said. In fact forums are useless because only what Vayra86 says is valid. If any other user posts something he needs source.

I hope you are not from 1986, otherwise I would seriously think about my life by being 24/7 arguing with ppl on the internet forums, at 32 years old. Cringy.
That is a pointless attack based upon age there.
Posted on Reply
#45
Solaris17
Dainty Moderator
W1zzard said:
This seems to be just a timing issue. afaik the driver gets removed, which marks the driver as deleted. Once the driver has fully stopped the driver can actually be deleted, which stops the nvlddmkm service. You firing off commands so quickly will just mark the nvlddmkm service itself as deleted, which doesn't remove the DCHUVen key, so NV installer still thinks it's running on DCH. Try removing that registry key manually in your script
Actually thats the first thing I do.

Remove reg key

Remove inf

Delete Service.

I followed the order of the OP.

I added a timeout between removing the INF and deleting the service this time.
Posted on Reply
#46
Manu_PT
eidairaman1 said:
That is a pointless attack based upon age there.
Nothing compared to his daily or should I say hourly attacks he makes on everyone on every tech power up news article, if you notice. The dude is here everyday quoting other users posts and going against it. Just check his activity and recent posts. Beefs on every topic. He is known on other forums, yeah it reached that point.

Is not an attack based upon age. Simply put if you are 32 y old and all you do the whole day is arguing with other people on TpU forums, you surely need to check your priorities. Nothing wrong with being 32 y old. Is what you do that is wrong. This dude is very toxic and spreads toxicity on every damn thread, constantly forcing his opinions and point of views on other people that disagree with him. How pathetic it is that you are 30+ and do such a thing 24/7 on the web? Please...
Posted on Reply
#47
eidairaman1
The Exiled Airman
Manu_PT said:
Nothing compared to his daily or should I say hourly attacks he makes on everyone on every tech power up news article, if you notice. The dude is here everyday quoting other users posts and going against it. Just check his activity and recent posts. Beefs on every topic. He is known on other forums, yeah it reached that point.

Is not an attack based upon age. Simply put if you are 32 y old and all you do the whole day is arguing with other people on TpU forums, you surely need to check your priorities. Nothing wrong with being 32 y old. Is what you do that is wrong. This dude is very toxic and spreads toxicity on every damn thread, constantly forcing his opinions and point of views on other people that disagree with him. How pathetic it is that you are 30+ and do such a thing 24/7 on the web? Please...
Well instead of arguing yourself report it or ignore him.
Posted on Reply
#48
rtwjunkie
PC Gaming Enthusiast
W1zzard said:
You have to register, login, at which point telemetry gets uploaded, then you can update the driver. And for the next driver update you'll need GFE again because you're stuck on DCH drivers
Not really a problem. Having GFE is the easiest way to ensure that MS Never tried to update the Nvidia driver. You can completely control GFE doing it by just saying no.
Posted on Reply
#49
eidairaman1
The Exiled Airman
rtwjunkie said:
Not really a problem. Having GFE is the easiest way to ensure that MS Never tried to update the Nvidia driver. You can completely control GFE doing it by just saying no.
Gfe had side effects for some users, so this is a losing battle at this point. MS got too greedy when they stopped users from upgrading just directX
Posted on Reply
#50
EmDub2003
Thanks TechPowerUp team. This issue has driven me crazy for a couple months. While NVidia support was pleasant the only course of action they could suggest was to install GFE which was not my preference. Then as of 417.22 the driver release notes had another suggested workaround which was to disable the Windows WMI Service. I did that per these instructions and sure enough was able to do a DDU cleaning and install of the GeForce driver from NVidia. Thought I'd share another solution which worked for at least one user.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment