Monday, January 21st 2019

AMD "Navi" GPU Code Surfaces in Latest Apple MacOS Mojave Beta

System software code used for detecting and installing AMD's upcoming Radeon "Navi" family of graphics processors surfaced in the latest Apple MacOS "Mojave" beta. Version 14.2 beta of the operating system packs preparation for AMD's next-generation GPUs through a device identifier "0x73101002." A similar piece of code surfaced on early versions of MacOS "Sierra" some 6 months prior to Radeon "Vega" family launch, which perfectly aligns with this release of Mojave preceding the speculated mid-2019 launch of "Navi."

The code makes four references, Navi 16, Navi 12, Navi 10, and Navi 9. We're not quite sure if these are brand names or ASIC codes pointing to the number of next-generation compute units enabled on the silicon. If they are the latter, and assuming AMD hasn't changed the number of stream processors per NGCU, we're looking at the possibility of these chips being mid-range performance successors to the "Polaris" family, and it's likely they'll find place in Apple's upcoming generation of iMac, and possibly even MacBooks.
Many Thanks to theoneandonlymrk for the tip. Source: tonymacx86
Add your own comment

23 Comments on AMD "Navi" GPU Code Surfaces in Latest Apple MacOS Mojave Beta

#3
Divide Overflow
"Mid range performance".
Will there be a high end version of Navi, or will that be left for Vega refreshes to cover?
Posted on Reply
#4
bencrutz
very OLD news. mojave 10.14.2 already released back in december :shadedshu:
Posted on Reply
#5
eidairaman1
The Exiled Airman
Divide Overflow said:
"Mid range performance".
Will there be a high end version of Navi, or will that be left for Vega refreshes to cover?
Navi+
Posted on Reply
#6
AlB80
9, 10, 12, 16 and other digits are service parts of c++ mangled names.
Posted on Reply
#8
FordGT90Concept
"I go fast!1!11!1!"
Divide Overflow said:
"Mid range performance".
Will there be a high end version of Navi, or will that be left for Vega refreshes to cover?
Navi is replacing Polaris, MI-NEXT is replacing Vega.
Posted on Reply
#9
medi01
Divide Overflow said:
Will there be a high end version of Navi, or will that be left for Vega refreshes to cover?
Rumor sets it at below 2070 perf this year, but bigger chip in 2020. So Vega7 will remain AMD's top dog through 2019.
Unlike with Polaris, bigger version of which (i.e. what could have become real 590) was abandoned in favor of Vega, which disappointed.
Posted on Reply
#10
bajs11
any Mac gamers here? :rolleyes:
Posted on Reply
#11
silentbogo
btarunr said:
The code makes four references, Navi 16, Navi 12, Navi 10, and Navi 9. We're not quite sure if these are brand names or ASIC codes pointing to the number of next-generation compute units enabled on the silicon. If they are the latter, and assuming AMD hasn't changed the number of stream processors per NGCU, we're looking at the possibility of these chips being mid-range performance successors to the "Polaris" family, and it's likely they'll find place in Apple's upcoming generation of iMac, and possibly even MacBooks.
Could be as simple as a driver update for upcoming Ryzen 3000-series mobile APUs, which Apple is planning to use in their macbooks. Specs for those have been leaked so many times, and many words have been said about Navi iGPU, that it's a no-brainer. I doubt we'll get any resemblance of consumer Navi dGPU 'till the end of the year.
Posted on Reply
#12
Kaotik
Err, this happened last november, how is this news now @btarunr
Posted on Reply
#13
Darmok N Jalad
bajs11 said:
any Mac gamers here? :rolleyes:
You could say me, but it was via bootcamp. I have a base 2017 5K iMac, and until recently, I used to play games on it. The Radeon Pro 570 actually did a decent job at 1080p, and the machine stays quiet the whole time.
Posted on Reply
#15
theoneandonlymrk
bencrutz said:
very OLD news. mojave 10.14.2 already released back in december :shadedshu:
Well that might be the case but no one pulled the navi info from it, and believe me i follow whats happening i had heard of multiple navi from adoredtv but nowhere else other than pure rumours, but if it bothers you i apologize and to you bta.
Still wccf just ran it too so I'd say it's not unworthy that's 3 sites i know of now reporting it.

@jesdals analysis confirms your post is ironic as f###@ , erroneous link to a polaris and endng ,"really not neaded" , see yourself out then.
Posted on Reply
#16
timta2
bajs11 said:
any Mac gamers here? :rolleyes:
Mac (/PC) gamer here, since before the days when Windows gamers were jealous of companies like Bungie and Mac only games, like the Marathon series.
Posted on Reply
#17
Kaotik
theoneandonlymrk said:
Well that might be the case but no one pulled the navi info from it, and believe me i follow whats happening i had heard of multiple navi from adoredtv but nowhere else other than pure rumours, but if it bothers you i apologize and to you bta.
Err, no. Navi info was pulled from the Mac updates last november, this isn't new in any way.
Posted on Reply
#18
theoneandonlymrk
Kaotik said:
Err, no. Navi info was pulled from the Mac updates last november, this isn't new in any way.
Links?
Posted on Reply
#19
bencrutz
theoneandonlymrk said:
Well that might be the case but no one pulled the navi info from it, and believe me i follow whats happening i had heard of multiple navi from adoredtv but nowhere else other than pure rumours, but if it bothers you i apologize and to you bta.
Still wccf just ran it too so I'd say it's not unworthy that's 3 sites i know of now reporting it.

@jesdals analysis confirms your post is ironic as f###@ , erroneous link to a polaris and endng ,"really not neaded" , see yourself out then.
no, they pulled from the BETA update which was released on November last year :confused:

theoneandonlymrk said:
Links?
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/amd-radeon-navi-gpu.264399/
it was posted on november 6th :banghead:
i suppose you're not into mac things
Posted on Reply
#21
Kaotik
theoneandonlymrk said:
Links?
@bencrutz already posted the link and it was even the very source for this "news" listed in the original news post
Posted on Reply
#22
theoneandonlymrk
Kaotik said:
@bencrutz already posted the link and it was even the very source for this "news" listed in the original news post
fair enough but as is clear outside the walled garden crew many did'nt know but thanks for popping up to self gratify well done just this once i was wrong:p, it's been posted on 5 sites now so old or not many did'nt know.

and i have noted that apparently this NEWS burst out on a mac FORUM in that link, yeah how did i miss it.
Posted on Reply
#23
Gigamaxx
silentbogo said:
Could be as simple as a driver update for upcoming Ryzen 3000-series mobile APUs, which Apple is planning to use in their macbooks. Specs for those have been leaked so many times, and many words have been said about Navi iGPU, that it's a no-brainer. I doubt we'll get any resemblance of consumer Navi dGPU 'till the end of the year.
Any links to those specs? Id love to see them, currently our Ryzen Chips are a challenge to get running in Mojave with a custom kernel.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment