Thursday, March 28th 2019

SilverStone Rolls Out the Krypton KR02 CPU Cooler

SilverStone today rolled out the Krypton KR02, a compact tower-type CPU cooler. This cooler is designed to handle thermal loads of up to 130 Watts, and supports LGA2066 and LGA115x sockets. AM4 support is added by separately purchasing a bracket, which ensures the cooler points in the right direction (towards the rear of your case) when installed. Its base is made of copper and aluminium with some finnage; from which three 6 mm-thick copper heat pipes pass, conveying heat through the aluminium fin-stack, which is ventilated by a 92 mm fan.

Taking in 4-pin PWM connection, this 92 mm fan spins between 800 to 2,800 RPM, pushing 15.12 to 56.1 CFM of air, with a noise output ranging between 13.6 to 34.8 dBA. Its hydraulic bearing offers a rated lifespan of 40,000 hours. Measuring 92 mm x 125 mm x 51 mm with the fan installed, the cooler weighs 380 g. The company didn't reveal pricing.
Add your own comment

12 Comments on SilverStone Rolls Out the Krypton KR02 CPU Cooler

#1
Fouquin
btarunr said:
AM4 support is added by separately purchasing a bracket
And yet the AMD mounting hardware in the picture is the universal one that works on any AMD platform back to Socket 754... This looks like one of the only coolers by Silverstone that actually doesn't require any extra purchase for AM4 support.
Posted on Reply
#2
Caring1
"which ensures the cooler points in the right direction (towards the rear of your case) when installed."

In a past decade prior to top mount fans and radiators maybe. :shadedshu: :kookoo:
I like to have the option to point the airflow in any direction I want.
Posted on Reply
#3
s3thra
Fouquin said:
And yet the AMD mounting hardware in the picture is the universal one that works on any AMD platform back to Socket 754... This looks like one of the only coolers by Silverstone that actually doesn't require any extra purchase for AM4 support.
I was thinking the same thing - if it's not using a back plate and just latches on to the CPU mount, it should be good to go. Hmm.
Posted on Reply
#4
Caring1
Fouquin said:
And yet the AMD mounting hardware in the picture is the universal one that works on any AMD platform back to Socket 754... This looks like one of the only coolers by Silverstone that actually doesn't require any extra purchase for AM4 support.
https://www.silverstonetek.com.tw/buyam4.php?area=en
AM4 mounting kit costs US $9.99 and requires the removal of the universal mount already fitted and a back plate to be installed.
Posted on Reply
#5
sutyi
Caring1 said:
https://www.silverstonetek.com.tw/buyam4.php?area=en
AM4 mounting kit costs US $9.99 and requires the removal of the universal mount already fitted and a back plate to be installed.
Not needed for this cooler. The retention clip style mounting is compatible all the way back to Socket 754 as @Fouquin mentioned earlier. You just use the plastic anchor points that you would otherwise unscrew on AM4 to screw mount the boxed coolers that come with Ryzen processors. So any cooler that uses this type of mounting should be compatible with AM4, unless it has a really weird base plate shape.
Posted on Reply
#6
bug
Caring1 said:
"which ensures the cooler points in the right direction (towards the rear of your case) when installed."

In a past decade prior to top mount fans and radiators maybe. :shadedshu::kookoo:
I like to have the option to point the airflow in any direction I want.
Don't buy this then :D
Seriously, it's a smaller cooler (the kind I like), which this makes it unlikely to beat AMD's stock cooler by enough to justify the extra cost.
Posted on Reply
#7
Fx
bug said:
Don't buy this then :D
Seriously, it's a smaller cooler (the kind I like), which this makes it unlikely to beat AMD's stock cooler by enough to justify the extra cost.
Depending on the design of the computer, I like small coolers too. The Noctua U9S is quite small as well. This doesn't matter though if you are among the "that is fugly brown" camp :cool:
Posted on Reply
#8
ironwolf
Instead of saying AM4 support it should probably say bolt-through-the-board AM4 support as the pictures show the aging retention system on the cooler for what looks like AM4. If one if happy with that, no need to spend $$$ for the kit from the manufacturer. I prefer the bolt-through myself.
Posted on Reply
#9
Baum
at least the base is copper

and the give you the option for some extra cash to use it with a screw down base for lan rigs..

looks goood to me
Posted on Reply
#10
DeathtoGnomes
another cooler with 4 tubes and fins thats only slightly different than the rest of the coolers with 4 tubes, it boils down to being another generic cooler with different stickers.

Nothing new to see here, move on.
Posted on Reply
#11
Axaion
DeathtoGnomes said:
another cooler with 4 tubes and fins thats only slightly different than the rest of the coolers with 4 tubes, it boils down to being another generic cooler with different stickers.

Nothing new to see here, move on.
4?, there's 3.
Posted on Reply
#12
DeathtoGnomes
Axaion said:
4?, there's 3.
4 or 3 same sentiment.....
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment