Tuesday, February 19th 2008

Blogger Compiles List of 50 Reasons to Switch to Mac OS X

Somebody took the time and effort to write a fairly neutral list of reasons why people should switch from any Microsoft operating system to Mac OS X. The full list is available at the source link, but I think you might be interested in what made the top five.
  • It seems that the future of Windows development is happening largely for corporate environments and customers.
  • Excellent power management in OS X. When I close the lid to my MacBook Pro, it falls asleep. When I open the lid to my MacBook Pro, it wakes up. Imagine that!
  • I’m ready to experience different frustrations. OS X isn’t perfect, certainly - but I already see its noticeably more stable than Windows Vista has been. Kernel Panics at least look prettier than BSODs.
  • There’s more interesting, useful, beautiful, and affordable software being developed for OS X
  • VMWare Fusion
Source: Some Blog on the Interweb
Add your own comment

96 Comments on Blogger Compiles List of 50 Reasons to Switch to Mac OS X

#1
Ravenas
Mussels said:
^ thats part of the reason i like vista, it comes with a lot of generic drivers.
"HD audio device" only the one monitor driver for digital screens, etc.
Oh you mean besides DirectX? :p I would be happy if they stopped using DirectX altogether. Most in game graphical errors can be directly related to problems with DirectX. OpenGL should be adopted as the choice.
Posted on Reply
#2
Ravenas
candle_86 said:
lol yea alot, i laughed my ass off when the MacOS was proven vulenrable to attack, sure its not common simply because Mac users are insignifcant in the eyes of the hackers and programmers.
Certainly not as bad as the MAC MS Office errors found...Lol, those are the baddies. Was probably MSs intentions.

As for now, Mac works perfectly for, but only on a notebook scale. The only prebuilt computers I will buy are notebooks (simply because I can't build a good notebook myself), and the only notebooks I considered were the MacBooks, the ThinkPads, and the VAIOS.

However, despite this article, I think we can all agree that Apple notebooks are top par, along with IBM, Sony, and Toshiba.
Posted on Reply
#3
das müffin mann
i will agree that their notebooks are top par, i think they are better than the sonys sometimes, most of the sonys i've used tend to be on the flimsy side
Posted on Reply
#4
AsRock
TPU addict
Ravenas said:
Oh you mean besides DirectX? :p I would be happy if they stopped using DirectX altogether. Most in game graphical errors can be directly related to problems with DirectX. OpenGL should be adopted as the choice.
Yes i'd like OpenGL make a come back, Hopehey get 3.0 sorted soon..
Posted on Reply
#5
Mussels
Moderprator
das müffin mann said:
i will agree that their notebooks are top par, i think they are better than the sonys sometimes, most of the sonys i've used tend to be on the flimsy side
the only reason i even consider a mac, is the laptops. not to run OSX, but for vista via bootcamp, and the outright shinyness of the laptop.

Until i remember that they underclock the video cards really badly, and the grease jobs are so poor the laptops overheat...
Posted on Reply
#6
das müffin mann
true i would not buy a macbook for the os boot camp is the only chance i would give it
Posted on Reply
#7
Ravenas
I'm wanting to do Half OS X, 1/4 Windows Vista Ultimate, and 1/4 Yellow Dog. :toast: Anyway, off to chem lecture... :D
Posted on Reply
#8
Scrizz
das müffin mann said:
i will agree that their notebooks are top par, i think they are better than the sonys sometimes, most of the sonys i've used tend to be on the flimsy side
meh, give me an xps anyday :nutkick:
Posted on Reply
#9
newtekie1
Semi-Retired Folder
zekrahminator said:
Somebody took the time and effort to write a fairly neutral list of reasons why people should switch from any Microsoft operating system to Mac OS X. The full list is available at the source link, but I think you might be interested in what made the top five.
Several of those reasons don't exactly seem that neutral or informed to me.

TFA
3. ...Seriously, I just find OS X’s update schedule to be more to my liking - instead of waiting for gigantic service packs, I get minor point releases along the way to major revisions to the OS. Bugs are going to happen, but knowing that showstopping / security bugs are likely to be squished quicker gives me amazing peace of mind.
This guy has no clue what he is talking about.

1. You don't have to wait for service packs to get updates. They come the first tuesday of every month. And in the case of severly critical updates, microsoft will release them as soon as they are ready.

2. At least Microsoft releases Service Packs. Apple just requires you to buy the whole OS again to get the lastes updates. Yeah, that is a much better strategy, I love rebuying the same shit over and over again.

I stopped reading at number 3 because if I'm already have to put on my BS boots by his 3rd point, I don't need to read all 50.
Posted on Reply
#10
das müffin mann
nothing will beat my asus, for it can do no wrong in my eyes
Posted on Reply
#11
Mussels
Moderprator
das müffin mann said:
nothing will beat my asus, for it can do no wrong in my eyes
Nothing beats it... except MY asus!
Posted on Reply
#15
ChillyMyst
I DO!!!! it can projectile sh!t over 7 feet!!!!
Posted on Reply
#17
ChillyMyst
isnt it tho!!!!! i mean if it really tryed maby it cold manage 8 or even 9 feet!!!!!
Posted on Reply
#18
erocker
Back on topic please.:shadedshu
Posted on Reply
#19
hat
Enthusiast
I am an overclocker and a gamer. Mac offers niether of the two, except some openGL games and stupid shit like Minesweeper. I'm sure mac is good for people who only use thier computetrs for work, but then again a PC can do all of that anyway... probably for cheaper.

Mac is like a newb's PC as far as I can tell.
Posted on Reply
#20
das müffin mann
im feel reletivly the same as hat, but tbh the best os ever created has to windows ME, it was sooo stable and just plain awesome, xp, linux and osx should bow before its greatness(im not serious if your wondering) a mac would be nice for someone like my mom, it would be less of a hassle for he all she would use it for would be lite web surfing and what not, being that it is retardedly simple to use (if you know the os) that would be good for her, and being that she knows jack about technology (she has trouble using her cell phone) that would be good, but unfortunately the price tag just doesn't justify it, if apple would come out with something much cheaper for the average consumer i may be a bit less critical of them, but that may be bad for them seeing as how they may loose their highend trendy artsy image if they did that, where as i could get a a cheap prebuilt, or make a cheap one myself and throw a better(in my opinion) os (linux) that is stable, little virus trouble and it works quite well

you may get what im trying to say, but what i typed makes sense in my head, so im not sure if i translated it well
Posted on Reply
#21
ChillyMyst
lol, muffin man, i agree, hell u could get an eeepc, xandros(linus) is TOTALY NOOBIE FRIENLY, very much made for the uber noob mac user type, and they are cheap!!!.

as to building better, i can easly build better then the cheap mac's and do it cheaply as well, their stuff "worth buying" is still over priced in my oppenion, because they want to keep their image as you said, apple=no thanks i got a gaming pc, why would i want a crippled underclocked system when i got a system thats nice and FAST already and can do all the same jobs that the 3500$ mac can do....at a fraction of the price!!!!
Posted on Reply
#22
Ravenas
Not true by any standards, the only reason gaming is currently being held by MS like a stanglehold is completely because of DirectX! The monopoly powers of Windows OS is holding gamers, and overclockers, on a single platform. Microsoft refuses to share a widespread graphics interface like OpenGL (that everyone else supports). It's a very cut throat tactic in my opinion, but if you look at a lot of different MS stuff, it supports MS's position on keeping everything proprietary.



Now based on that picture, make a conclusion why MS uses Direct X. AND THE ABOVE ISN'T EVEN OPEN GL 3.0!
Posted on Reply
#23
ChillyMyst
Ravenas said:
Not true by any standards, the only reason gaming is currently being held by MS like a stanglehold is completely because of DirectX! The monopoly powers of Windows OS is holding gamers, and overclockers, on a single platform. Microsoft refuses to share a widespread graphics interface like OpenGL (that everyone else supports). It's a very cut throat tactic in my opinion, but if you look at a lot of different MS stuff, it supports MS's position on keeping everything proprietary.



Now based on that picture, make a conclusion why MS uses Direct X.
well your right and wrong, the reasion linux dosnt get more games isnt 100% the fault of ms or directX.

alot of game companys refuse to support linux for the same reasion that alot of hardware companys refuse, its to hard to support all the diffrent distros out there.

there are tens of not hunders of thousands of diffrent distros, no 2 are 100% alike when it comes to installing software and drivers, if linus would get togather and make an ISO for drivers and app installers they would get more support from software and hardware companys, till then, well linux will remain the toy of geeks who eather cant coap with windows or who are mad that they have to upgrade every 5-10 years to beable to run windows smoothy(alot of linux nutters are still using p3 systems for example)

i got nothing against linux, but its a fact that till linux community can put aside their diffrances and agree to include 1 way of doing some things on ALL distrobutions then hardware and software makers WILL look at linux as a high cost for low returns proposition.

EDIT:
part of why is because ICD for ogl on windows are SHITTY from all but the top name makers of videocards, u know why ms made directX to start with, they wanted something they could get support for that any hardware maker could/would make a working driver for, back then OGL icd's where timeconsuming to make and most card/chip makers if they even had ogl support it was VERY slow and VERY buggy, the advent of dx wasnt a bad ting, its how ms handled it afterworld and how the OGL comminity drove ms away when they tryed to do a combine standred called ferinhite(sp) the project was going well, ms was making consessions and bending, but some of the people on the ogl side wouldnt make any consessions or bend at all, and infact got combative, this as been admited by the ogl lobby that was invloved, ms walked away, and i cant blame them....


oh and if those ogl2.1 shots are doom3(remind me somehow of doom3) they are acctualy ogl1.3/1.4, alot can be done with ogl, and even dx9 that wasnt ever fully exploited, ogl2.x in some ways is more powerfull then dx10, but as even Id games leader carmack(asshole ati hater) has admited current ogl is missing some fetures that have been made requiered in dx10, ogl2.3 is acctualy finnlized last i checked but not in use yet(just as dx10.1 isnt in use yet)

sorry for the edit but i wanted to clarify, there are reasions behind not using pure ogl, tho they are far smaller now days then they use to be, oneof the main ones nodays is that programers need to relearn to program the gfx engine in OGL because to many of them have gotten VERY lazy and only know d3d/dx enterfaces.

OH, about linux one last note, it has NOTHING LIKE DIRECTX, dx isnt just d3d, its also direct imput, direct sound, direct music, and more, linux really needs to have the bulk of the community sit down and make their own dx equivlant so that each game dosnt need its own hand coded replacements for dx fetures.
Posted on Reply
#24
strick94u
I found when talking to Mac users they act as if it’s all about intelligentsia and how dumb we are for buying in to the whole windows thing. Then they talk about how stable it is and virus free both of those statements are lies. Than all of a sudden it’s about how easy it is to use well if you’re so freaking smart why does your OS of choice have to be so simple to use? I have had both and would buy another Macs are damn good pc's, what keeps me from buying one you ask? Well it’s the cost of being easy all the software is way over priced if you want a decent video card it’s going to cost you 500 bucks more for a technically challenged ATI card that was decent on a pc 3 years ago. And my favorite thing is the cool thing with Mac users now is to get XP or vista to run on it, so I have a 2200 dollar Mac that’s not as fast or powerful as my 1000 dollar Acer laptop and I am going to run windows. Of course with a Mac I get to have that snobbish line whenever the pc discussion starts "well I use a Mac it’s a much better system" wtf?? Windows Linux Mac BeOS I have crashed them all: D
Posted on Reply
#25
Ravenas
ChillyMyst said:
well your right and wrong, the reasion linux dosnt get more games isnt 100% the fault of ms or directX.

alot of game companys refuse to support linux for the same reasion that alot of hardware companys refuse, its to hard to support all the diffrent distros out there.

there are tens of not hunders of thousands of diffrent distros, no 2 are 100% alike when it comes to installing software and drivers, if linus would get togather and make an ISO for drivers and app installers they would get more support from software and hardware companys, till then, well linux will remain the toy of geeks who eather cant coap with windows or who are mad that they have to upgrade every 5-10 years to beable to run windows smoothy(alot of linux nutters are still using p3 systems for example).

i got nothing against linux, but its a fact that till linux community can put aside their diffrances and agree to include 1 way of doing some things on ALL distrobutions then hardware and software makers WILL look at linux as a high cost for low returns proposition.
True, but Apple should be supported, and it's not. Many many companies are in a huge alliance with Apple that absolutely hated how Microsoft treated other companies in the 90s. Change is definitely on the horizon as MS's empire begins to show how it is loosing monopoly dominance. A huge example of MSs failing monopoly is in iPods and how Quicktime (which was the first universal player that supported all companies codec, unlike windows media player) quickly took control in the late 90s, and now in the 21st century the Zune is failing in comparison (although it has respectable weekly sales), and showing how MSs proprietary sound codec is failing (as well as MS's video codec).

The reason above is why EA, id, Blizzard, and many many developers are starting to move to Apple also. Which is a very good sign.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment