Tuesday, December 16th 2008

Preliminary Tests on GeForce GTX 295 Run, Leads Radeon HD 4870 X2

A Chinese technology portal, IT168 has conducted a preliminary performance evaluation of the upcoming GeForce GTX 295 graphics card. The card will be a flagship offering by NVIDIA. It will feature two G200b graphics processors. Also provided are the first pictures of the finished product, along with a burst-shot of the card and its cooling assembly. Across several game tests, the evaluation showed the GTX 295 to outperform the HD 4870 X2 by up to 80%, while providing superior power characteristics.

Source: IT168

117 Comments on Preliminary Tests on GeForce GTX 295 Run, Leads Radeon HD 4870 X2

Super XP
Great point. You make a lot of sense in the matter. It explains why the XBOX 360 does just fine in gaming. Who knows, maybe AMD/ATI will use an updated version of the Ring Bus for their GPU/CPU combo platform. The upcoming HD 5000 series from what I've read will not be multi-GPU, but should perform more than 150% faster than the current HD 4000 series. The HD 6000 which is already designed is a different story, it may be based on the long awaited Multi-GPU design which may come out with the Ring Bus...

NVIDIA's new card does look impressive, I mean it took them well over 6 months to come out with it. I think ATI should not counter this card, just let it be, they've already made a lot of money on the HD 4000 series. And I am happy to have XFX join ATI:D

What do you guys think? Is Physics going to me main stream? Intel and ATI do not want to support it.

A quick note, and off topic, SORRY, but HOW the HELL do you open and close DOORS in Left 4 Dead PC????????? It's killing me, and the user manual does not say anything about it. :banghead:
DarkMatter said:
The problem with ring bus is that you need at least 2 similarly fast, bandwidth hungry units atached to it to make sense, or in defect of that, more than one fast memory pool. In GPUs that's not the case, you have 1 GPU and one memory pool, so building a costly pathway between them doesn't make sense perf/price or perf/watt wise. The ring bus is similar to the PCI bus in that the different units atached to it have to be arbitered and given some "time". Being so the ring bus was a lot of it's time busy feeding non-performance related units that didn't need all the bus power, canibalizing that power that could be used by the performance parts. It's like building a 12 lane highway just because sometimes 12 trucks are gonna go through it and then allocate the use of that highway to a lot of lonely cars, while the trucks have to wait.

I might not be correct on this one but in the Xbox 360 the ring bus connected the GPU, the CPU, the main memory and the embedded memory, and of course many other "minor" things wiht DMA access. That's 4 performance units, instead of two, and many more units which required access to memory. So there it does make more sense. It does make sense to make a shared big highway, instead of many dedicated small pathways.
InnocentCriminal
Resident Grammar Amender
Super XP
I believe it's E.

On topic, Bit-Tech have a preview on the GTX 295.
a_ump
well what a shame true it's in engineering stage but those number's aren't near what projections were. HD 4870x2 is better right now by the amount of games it comes out on top, but there's still alot nvidia can do driver wise to tweak the GTX 295 to it's peak potential. They've already gotten 10-15% more performance out of the GTX260/280 since their release. it'll be close imo win some and lose some but i don't see it toppling the HD 4870x2 in performance or price.
[I.R.A]_FBi
Super XP said:

Re Physics Implementation, it shall be included DX11.
TRIPTEX_CAN
Super XP said:

Are you joking?

If not... the key to open doors in the "use" key. Same thing for picking up weapons and items.
mdm-adph
TRIPTEX_MTL said:
Are you joking?

Hey, let's be easy on him. :laugh: Maybe this is his first time playing a Source game.

Got to admit, the first time I played Quake Wars I couldn't figure out what keys did anything -- I'm used to "E" being used for pretty much everything, like in Source games :p
CDdude55
Crazy 4 TPU!!!
True, kind of like in F.E.A.R. where' ''F''(thank god it's right next to ''D'':)) is to open things. Every game just needs to use ''E'' as the standard.(which most do)
Tatty_One
Senior Moderator
CDdude55 said:
One day we will get interactive voice control, so you can just walk upto a door in the game and through a mic say "open" and it does :)
Super XP
TRIPTEX_MTL said:
Are you joking?

I should give myself a kick in the arse :laugh:

I forgot the set up that key in the keyboard settings. But don't worry I gave myself a :nutkick:

I also use the mouse with my left hand and the keyboard with my right. So, this is why I have to change keyboard setting with every single game I install.
farlex85
Tatty_One said:
Have you played Endwar?
Tatty_One
Senior Moderator
farlex85 said:
Have you played Endwar?
No, why? does it have voice control/recognition?
eidairaman1
The Exiled Airman
Ya thats what Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter needed, that menu based system leaves you dead quick
farlex85
Tatty_One said:
No, why? does it have voice control/recognition?
It does, the entire game is played through voice commands. As of yet a counsel only title though.
SiliconSlick
That's strange

mdm-adph said:
Strange, I remember tons. :laugh: Fanboyism has always been rampant on all sides.
I'm not sure where you were reading because it is more than clear to me the reds have a burning desire in every thread to swear by their red card and put down the NVidia - and it has also become apparent that the main reason is their empty wallet.
SiliconSlick
the GTX295 KICIKS BUTT IN ALL GAMES

douglatins said:
Preliminary tests, are all but preliminary, they don't represent the truth. They don't have any driver information and run only Nvidia preferable games, Fallout being the exception, which shows hardly any real gain. But then again it should be better, because this is actually 2 GTX280, or it would be a major fail

And its great to see people are not taking this BS
Nice dream - too bad it's not going to pan out for you. WHY, you say ?

" The winner today of course is the GeForce GTX 295 and considering we were using an early engineering sample card with a very beta driver, things are looking real good for NVIDIA.

Also despite the fact we were limited to testing a handful of games, :laugh: we internally of course did run the majority of benchmarks with other games already. And the performance widespread is consistent :laugh: and the card worked with any game we threw at it. "

Yes, I know, it's very hard to take. Your world is crumbling.
ShadowFold
So its gonna be 500$ right? I might grab one when they are like 200$-250$ like the 9800GX2 is now.